PDA

View Full Version : Medical form

Jesskimo
September 27th, 2011, 03:00
Hi, I have searched through the forums and have found some discussion about this but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I was diagnosed as being bipolar a couple of years ago and am on medication for this. Does anyone know if this will effect my chance at being selected? I don't want to lie on the medical form or anything because i'll still need to have my meds when I'm in Japan. Any help on this would be lovely!

uthinkimlost?
September 27th, 2011, 08:14
Hi, I have searched through the forums and have found some discussion about this but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I was diagnosed as being bipolar a couple of years ago and am on medication for this. Does anyone know if this will effect my chance at being selected? I don't want to lie on the medical form or anything because i'll still need to have my meds when I'm in Japan. Any help on this would be lovely!

There are many people on JET that have some form of mental illness or another, all to varying degrees. All that seems to be necessary for it to be acceptable is no track-record of it harming your daily life in a profound way. Have your doctor be extremely explicit about this in his/her assessment.

It can be a speed bump though, so be ready to explain how you intend to deal with it, especially since a supposedly bipolar/asperger's individual caused a MAJOR headache for CLAIR this year.

Just prove you're tough enough for the job and your odds are as good as anyone's.

EDIT: DA##IT, Rommy's a NINJA.

What she said.

jwkelley
September 27th, 2011, 12:45
Also for your own sake, high school and jr high school kids can be mean. Might be something to consider.

Jesskimo
September 28th, 2011, 04:10
Thanks for that. I'll definitely disclose it. Probably try and spin it that I've dealt with depressive episodes in the past so have experienced those types of feelings and know how to handle them, also I've had enough time tweaking my meds with my doctor to be on exactly what's right for me.
Cheers!

greengoo
September 30th, 2011, 13:21
I would like to say two VERY important things on the topic:

1) Concerning the guy who caused the major issues with CLAIR/JET that was Bipolar: his bipolar disorder was NOT the cause of the issues. His behavior was completely unnacceptable, he did not do his job well, and he created serious problems at his office. Do not be discouraged by his mistake, just as there are thoughtless jerks without Bipolar Disorder, there are also people with it who are just wanks.

2) I say this next part out of friendly concern. OH DEAR GOD READ THIS:

effect (noun) - result, consequence, outcome, conclusion
affect (verb) - influence, shape, concern, change, modify, alter

Cytrix
September 30th, 2011, 16:26
Hola, throwing my 2Y in.

The only way I feel having a mental disorder/disability will affect your chances is if you show signs of not being able to cope. And dear lord don't lie about it! It will be far worse if it comes out that you lied on your application, than if you laid it out straight away. It makes it seem even more of a bigger deal than it is.

I have clinical depression (yay thanks Dad for those genes!) and disclosed it on my form, but didn't discuss it anywhere else, either in my SOP or anywhere else. I didn't want to make a big deal and draw unnecessary attention to it because basically it's just a fact of my life that I need to take a happy pill everyday (and will need to do so forever until a proper cure comes about). I did however make sure I attached the letter from my doctor, who also ran a random test (an internationally approved Depression Scale one) that I attached as well to show how low my score is.

It was definitely brought up at the interview and the general questions were how did I feel I would cope in Japan with depression, and what would I do about my medications. To be honest it was the one thing that I was certain would mean I wouldn't be picked and my application would be immediately thrown out...but I ended up being the top applicant in my area, so it definitely isn't a giant black cross against your name.

So don't lie about it, be honest in the application, and ultimately to yourself.

Jesskimo
October 1st, 2011, 01:37
haha - greengoo that made me laugh!