PDA

View Full Version : when are recruitment periods for interac, altia etc?

akanemukade
September 28th, 2011, 01:24
I've wanted to be an ALT since I was in high school. I'm a Senior in college now, planning to apply for JET this year when the application comes around, but if I don't get into JET, I'd like to apply to other companies like Interac, Altia, etc.

My question is, can you apply to Interac, Altia and the others all year round, or are there specific recruitment periods like with JET? I'm asking because I'd like to apply to one of them right after graduation in May if JET doesn't work out, and I'd rather not wait months to try again...

Also, if you can apply year round, does it hurt or help your chances if you apply at a certain time?

oneokbunny
September 28th, 2011, 06:45
Interac has 2 intakes a year usually. March and August. I applied for JET last year and the day I found out I didn't get an Interview with them I applied Interac and now work in Japan with them. The timing is usually a bit off with the companies. I believe right now is the application time for Interac for the March intake and in March they start phone interviews again for the fall intake.

It's not good to put all your hopes with JET like I did ^^;;; I thankfully found out early they didn't want me so I ran over to Interac. Though if you do get to the interview stage and apply with Interac you might find yourself with an offer from Interac but still waiting to see if you get shortlisted with JET.

akanemukade
September 28th, 2011, 10:13
Interac has 2 intakes a year usually. March and August. I applied for JET last year and the day I found out I didn't get an Interview with them I applied Interac and now work in Japan with them. The timing is usually a bit off with the companies. I believe right now is the application time for Interac for the March intake and in March they start phone interviews again for the fall intake.

It's not good to put all your hopes with JET like I did ^^;;; I thankfully found out early they didn't want me so I ran over to Interac. Though if you do get to the interview stage and apply with Interac you might find yourself with an offer from Interac but still waiting to see if you get shortlisted with JET.

Thanks for the reply!! I know JET is pretty competitive so I'm keeping my options open.

So it sounds like, if I'm understanding correctly, that I should apply about six months prior to the intake period? So if I wanted to be in the March intake, I'd apply in September. And if I wanted to be in the August intake I'd apply around February... does that sound right? Do you know if the other companies follow the same pattern?

uthinkimlost?
September 28th, 2011, 15:19
Thanks for the reply!! I know JET is pretty competitive so I'm keeping my options open.

So it sounds like, if I'm understanding correctly, that I should apply about six months prior to the intake period? So if I wanted to be in the March intake, I'd apply in September. And if I wanted to be in the August intake I'd apply around February... does that sound right? Do you know if the other companies follow the same pattern?

The last round with Interac they "Accepted" a slew of people then later told a good percentage that they were deferred or just rejected. (More hires than there were available slots.)

Each private company has its own schedule. Look at their websites and most will tell you.

Laevatienn
September 29th, 2011, 08:01
The last round with Interac they "Accepted" a slew of people then later told a good percentage that they were deferred or just rejected. (More hires than there were available slots.)

Each private company has its own schedule. Look at their websites and most will tell you.

I don't think any of them were rejected but given the option not accept the employment. That and the entire thing was an over inflation of numbers in Tokyo from what I hear. I assume, not from my sources, that someone pulled a number out of some complicated math chart thingy of doom and then relayed said number to someone else who got the number wrong or forgot to include something.

Knowing a bit about the system, it was probably due to the tsunami. People probably deferred themselves for the fall season but someone forgot to include those people in the calculations. It happens but from what I understand is that the larger amount of deferred people is highly unusual and ended up being around 60 people. Most of these people I think were eventually changed to alternates at some point.

Just thought I would add a bit from my friend. I need to check up with him sometime soon to see if there is any new news. In other news, I finally finished Resonance of Fate after playing it on and off for seven bloody months! Ah, it feels good beating a game that you half ignored for a half year. Yeah, I feel proud that I finally took the time to beat it even if it was easy...maybe Neverland will give more of a challenge like the Seraphic Gate in Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria....

Um, rant over. :D

uthinkimlost?
September 29th, 2011, 09:10
I don't think any of them were rejected but given the option not accept the employment.

Oh, good. That's much better.

They told them a month before they were supposed to depart. Leases had been ended, notices given and a plane tickets purchased. Some were told, "Maybe next year."

http://www.ithinkimlost.com/non-jet-career-education/16771-interac-placements-summer-fall-2011-a-10.html

That and the entire thing was an over inflation of numbers in Tokyo from what I hear. I assume, not from me sources, that someone pulled a number out of some complicated math chart thingy of doom and then relayed said number to someone else who got the number wrong or forgot to include something.

Yes, me sources and math chart thingy. Of course.

A year deferment is an impossible situation for someone who just quit their job.

Jojo
September 29th, 2011, 10:17

A year deferment is an impossible situation for someone who just quit their job.
yeah its not like a whole bunch of contracts got lost to jet or anything... someone just forgot to add a zero :roll:

EMTQueen
September 29th, 2011, 12:57
Oh, good. That's much better.

They told them a month before they were supposed to depart. Leases had been ended, notices given and a plane tickets purchased. Some were told, "Maybe next year."

http://www.ithinkimlost.com/non-jet-career-education/16771-interac-placements-summer-fall-2011-a-10.html

Yeah, and the way they worded the email was them acting like they were doing us a favor: "We're putting you in a shitty and awkward situation because of a massive error on our part, but hey, maybe you didn't actually want to teach in Japan despite spending the money and effort to prepare for the job. Now you can pursue other employment opportunities during an economic recession. Surely jobs are just falling from the sky."

lostincarpet
October 6th, 2011, 08:15

In my case it was just three weeks and, yes, I'd handed back my apartment, enjoyed my leaving parties and finished my job. The 'form' email informing me of the deferment was incredible in its chutzpah.

However, to be fair to Interac, they had stated in almost every communication NOT to purchase plane tickets, so if people did purchase them that is their own fault.