PDA

View Full Version : dealing with a found phone

Tyr
October 2nd, 2011, 10:38
Yesterday I was out and ran into a random group of Japanese people from another prefecture, good drunken times were had of which I was the victor, unfortunately I didn't have my phone at the time so contact details sharing was one sided then up and off they went.
One girl was super drunk, her boyfriend practically had to carry her onto the train- not realising she'd left her phone on a platform bench.
I now have that phone....and I've no idea how to get it back to them.
For where they live I only know a vague idea of which prefecture and I know no way to contact them. Maybe some of them have a way to contact me but I'm sure it was this girl who was doing that due to she being the only one with a smartphone.
So...is there anyway to get it back to them? If I take it to an AU shop (that being her supplier) would they get it back to the proper owner- I guess they have a easily accessed member directory. Or the police?

patjs
October 2nd, 2011, 10:47
I think people usually give them to the police, but taking it to the shop might not be a bad idea? If you don't have the Japanese skills to call people in her phonebook I'd just turn it in. I think if you could communicate it might not be a bad idea to just call a family member in the phonebook and tell them that you have her phone.

Beer Baron
October 2nd, 2011, 21:13
If it was me I would give it straight to the police to deal with. Yes, you might be able to find someone in the phone book to ring and tell them and then get the phone to them etc, but you run the risk of the owner complaining you went through their personal data (contacts), plus they will wonder if you read their messages etc etc etc.

Best thing to do is just hand it over to the police and then your bit is done.

greengoo
October 3rd, 2011, 00:22
Double check all of the personal pictures to make sure there isn't anything awesome, then take it to the carrier (they'll notify the person directly). If you take it to the police, they might be lazy and just keep it in holding until someone comes asking about it (which most people would never do).

Electrolite
October 3rd, 2011, 07:24
the police prob won't agree to mail it either, they will want the girl to go in there with id. hassle if they live in another ken.

Alphabet
October 3rd, 2011, 10:59
Give to the police duh

Tyr
October 3rd, 2011, 17:13
Figured it out, one of the friends emailed the phone with a big bold English message for me. I emailed them back with my real email address and we were golden, sorted out some Japanese courier thing where they pay on the other end and sent it today.

And yeah, the police taking forever was my worry with them.