PDA

View Full Version : Jet Programme Presentation

bonse
October 4th, 2011, 19:12
Has anyone attended this during their application process?

I ask because there are a few presentations going on over here over the next 5-6 weeks and I wanted to know if it would be beneficial for me to go?

I'd like to go but there is only one date I can attend and it would involve having to take a day off work (which would be a pain as I need the money!)

So, go to work V go to presentation???

Cytrix
October 4th, 2011, 20:11
The presentation is really just to give info that you can find online and have a few JET alumni talk about their time...and then to listen to people ask stupid questions e.g. 'how often can I travel?' 'can I travel instead of go to school?' 'How can I make sure I get a placement in Tokyo?' 'Can I wear cosplay all the time at school?'

If you don't know too much yet about the programme, go have a listen...but if you're like me and researched for a few years before applying, it will be nothing new

lilyanphino
October 4th, 2011, 20:13
I never attended one since one was never offered in my area, but I can imagine that if you've never done any research online that it might be helpful.

Milanna
October 4th, 2011, 22:27
If you already know you are serious about applying I'm guessing you've done or will soon do more than enough research to make the presentation pointless. Don't forget that if you're accepted, there's like 3-4 orientations depending on where you are.

If you're on the fence or are unclear on many aspects of the program it could help. I never attended a presentation, but meeting current participants helped me decide what to do.

bonse
October 4th, 2011, 23:17
Thanks for the replies. Think I'll give it a miss then. Not worth taking a holiday day (not even sure if I have any left?) when I've been lurking on this site and others since 2009! Hopefully I have enough info in my head to put together a half decent application?

If it wasn't for the job or the fact that they're on at really inconvenient times I'd definitely go.

semicolon
October 5th, 2011, 11:03
I went to the presentation at my university last fall and it didn't really help me at all. If you've spent more than an hour (or less?) browsing around about JET and applications, it's probably not worth going. You're not missing much.

melty
October 5th, 2011, 23:11
The presentations are made by the consulate/embassy where you are from, and whoever gives the presentation isn't meant to veer far from the original script...so you'll probably know everything they say already.

However, if you have specific questions and you like chatting to the folks from the embassy it might still be useful...

Takoyaki
October 6th, 2011, 10:29
I don't know if the Australian ones are much like the US/UK/Canadian sessions but i felt attending them was really beneficial not because you will really learn anything new but more because it gets you excited and in the midst to complete your application

Lianwen
October 6th, 2011, 15:36
It might be useful. I went to one held by a local college, and learned later that the Japanese professor I met there, and introduced myself to, was not only friends with my Japanese professor, but was also on the interview panel for the consulate I applied. One of the questions I had asked her was what does the selection panel look for in my application and I asked about the interview and what they liked to see in applicants.

I would look first at who you`ll meet at the panel, rather than what the content is. Just don`t be like that guy from last year (or, I think it was last year), who got his hands on the phone number of a person from JETA and pretty much called/stalked the guy for information about JET.

Ahura
October 8th, 2011, 23:06
It might be useful. I went to one held by a local college, and learned later that the Japanese professor I met there, and introduced myself to, was not only friends with my Japanese professor, but was also on the interview panel for the consulate I applied. One of the questions I had asked her was what does the selection panel look for in my application and I asked about the interview and what they liked to see in applicants.

I would look first at who you`ll meet at the panel, rather than what the content is. Just don`t be like that guy from last year (or, I think it was last year), who got his hands on the phone number of a person from JETA and pretty much called/stalked the guy for information about JET.

Yeah, the events like this are good to meet the people involved in the selection/coordination of the programme. Otherwise, I think these sessions are more like sales pitches for people who are not yet sure if they want to apply. Some people would rather sit through a presentation and ask questions in person than research stuff online, so they go to these types of events.

I wouldn't miss work for it, but it could be fun to meet people (JET Coordinators, selection panel members, JET alumni). Any number of those people could provide on-the-side advice for your application.

Froren
October 9th, 2011, 12:43
I met two of the JET alumni at a JET function and then one of them later ended up being one of my interviewers and he remembered me from the earlier event. I wouldn't say it got me in or anything, but I would say it might have helped since he knew I was clearly very interested in the program by attending the optional thing. That being said, there were 3 other interviewing panels so I could have easily been interviewed by another and not seen that guy.

atheistwithfaith
October 9th, 2011, 23:35
In the UK it was just a standard 'come and work with us!' pitch and provided me with very little information I didn't already have. For the people who were just like 'ooooh that sounds interesting' then for sure it was probably useful, but if you have done ANY research about the JET Programme, then the thing is likely to be redundant. In the UK at least.