PDA

View Full Version : Learning grammar

Kewne
October 7th, 2011, 05:20
Can anyone recommend methods and resources for learning the grammar of the Japanese language? I tend to remember a lot of words (pronunciation only - not kanji) when hearing them, but all too often I'm only getting the nouns, adjectives and sometimes verbs when I hear a sentence. I'm missing the grammar to let it make sense (as well as any adverbs :lol:).

It's been quite a while since I studied Japanese, so I've actually forgotten a lot, but it seems like this would be a good place to start up self-study again.

Kewne
October 7th, 2011, 07:52
Thanks for the recommendations. A JLPT prep book might be good in another way too - I was thinking of taking it this year, but I decided too late and the applications were closed by the time I checked. I might be able to take it in the future though. I don't know if I could find that specific one though, since with a Japanese only title I'm guessing it's not marketed here in the U.K.

Unfortunately, as for looking through a bookstore, between my two local bookstores there are only 'Japanese for Dummies', 'Japanese for Busy People' and a few dictionaries. I'll likely be buying online.

coop52
October 7th, 2011, 10:14
When I was studying for the old JLPT level 3, I really liked the Kanzen Master grammar book (the red one). I also like Donna Toki Dou Tsukau. It's a grammar dictionary, but it has pretty good explanations in English, so it's nice to have.

jwkelley
October 7th, 2011, 19:15
Michel Thomas tapes give a decent easy to understand explanation of a lot of grammar.

MJN
October 9th, 2011, 22:52
I've found this (http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar) grammar guide pretty fantastic.

Kewne
October 9th, 2011, 23:52
I have Japanese for Busy People - Romanised version. It was required for my first Japanese course. It's definitely a useful starter book. I might go through it again.

Minna no Nihongo is good too by the way, but in my case I need a teacher, since I can't understanding all of the tasks, since there's no English explanation.

Thanks for that website. It seems really useful.

Tyr
October 13th, 2011, 00:12
I have Japanese for Busy People - Romanised version. It was required for my first Japanese course. It's definitely a useful starter book. I might go through it again.

Minna no Nihongo is good too by the way, but in my case I need a teacher, since I can't understanding all of the tasks, since there's no English explanation.

Thanks for that website. It seems really useful.
There's an Englis hminna no nihongo book too.
Way back when I took a Japanese class they uised minna and we needed both.

Kewne
October 13th, 2011, 00:34
Ah really? I might look into that then. I never saw it, but I liked the Japanese version, when the teacher was there to lead us through it.