PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the 2012 Application year

Ahura
October 8th, 2011, 23:11
It looks like the applications were delayed this year because there are a number of changes to the programme. First off, it looks like the pay has changed to a sliding scale based on the number of years you recontract. From the JET Programme Canada (http://jetprogramme.ca/index.php/about/terms-and-conditions) site:

Remuneration

Remuneration per annum is approximately 3,360,000 in the first year of appointment, 3,600,000 in the second year, 3,900,000 in the third year, and, in case the contracting organisation reappoints a participant whose work ability is deemed excellent more than 2 times, 3,960,000 in both the fourth year and the fifth year. In cases in which income and resident taxes are imposed, participants must pay these taxes from this remuneration. This remuneration is a sufficient amount to cover average living expenses in Japan. Remuneration will be made in monthly payments. Participants paying taxes in Japan must pay the remaining portions of resident taxes, etc. for the full year in one lump sum before leaving Japan upon completion of the JET Programme. In Japan, joining the national social (health) insurance, contributing to the pension fund Programme and paying employment insurance are mandatory. A part of these costs are borne by the participant and deducted from the monthly post-tax remuneration each month on payday. ALTs and CIRs are considered equal in terms of status and pay.

JET Programme participants are exempt from taxes based on a tax treaty between Japan and the participant’s home country are not necessarily exempt from tax obligations in their home countries. It is the responsibility of the individual participant to clarify such obligations prior to their departure for Japan. Each participant is responsible for the payment of any obligatory home country taxes.

Also, while I can't find it on the JET Programme Canada site, the Australia site (http://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/pdf/JETFILES/2_Instructions.pdf) (in addition to also showing the pay changes) shows that you can specify an April departure date if you want:

2c. Early placement in April, or early placement after April before normal designated date of arrival.
Would you like to be considered for the position selected in Question 2a, if there are any vacant position by the end of
February 2012? Please enter Y for yes; if not, enter N for no. Those who select “yes” for this question will need to make
sure to submit their Criminal Record and Certificate of Health to the Embassy or Consulate General at the time of the
application to the Embassy, or by the end of February at the latest to the Embassy or Consulate General where they will be
interviewed. Please bear in mind, however, that those who select “yes” for this question can only be placed where vacancies
are available, regardless of your requests in Question 16 below. Those who select “yes” for this question but are not selected
for the April arrival group will still be considered as candidates for the Group A departure or as a candidate for early
arrival at any designated time after April before normal designated date of arrival

I wonder if there are any other nuggets around the various application sites as they update for this year. It doesn't look like the US or NZ site has been updated for the changes, and I haven't checked the UK or other countries yet either.

Takoyaki
October 9th, 2011, 06:46
It looks like the applications were delayed this year because there are a number of changes to the programme. First off, it looks like the pay has changed to a sliding scale based on the number of years you recontract. From the JET Programme Canada (http://jetprogramme.ca/index.php/about/terms-and-conditions) site:

Also, while I can't find it on the JET Programme Canada site, the Australia site (http://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/pdf/JETFILES/2_Instructions.pdf) (in addition to also showing the pay changes) shows that you can specify an April departure date if you want:

I wonder if there are any other nuggets around the various application sites as they update for this year. It doesn't look like the US or NZ site has been updated for the changes, and I haven't checked the UK or other countries yet either.

the sliding pay scale is a tad harsh, sounds to me like it would be extremely effective in retaining participants though

in terms of the april departure you need to submit your medical forms in advance to be eligible, one would need to get these forms done sooner or later if they were successful anyhow right?

Ahura
October 9th, 2011, 07:22
the sliding pay scale is a tad harsh, sounds to me like it would be extremely effective in retaining participants though

in terms of the april departure you need to submit your medical forms in advance to be eligible, one would need to get these forms done sooner or later if they were successful anyhow right?

Well, if they were successful, yes. The people who specify April departure would have to pay to get their medical check/criminal record check /before/ they even know if they're getting an interview. That sounds pretty harsh to me, but I guess it's the applicant's choice.

mtreecorner
October 9th, 2011, 08:50
Well, the sliding scale sucks. It will save them money though.

The early placement thing is confusing. I wonder if this will have an affect on one's chances of being accepted.

Takoyaki
October 9th, 2011, 09:00
I was under the impression that the April arrivals were predominantly CIR's, perhaps this has changed somewhat this year

Cytrix
October 9th, 2011, 10:19
The April placements are largely only for a very few countries. I know Australia and New Zealand applicants can apply for the April intake. Not many people make the April intake...it's only really used when people pull out early and there are spaces available. I had a friend who was given the chance to go in April, but she held out until the August intake.

I'm guessng it might be because the visas for NZ/Aussies are faster to get than for Americans? Not sure...that's my random theory I'm going to throw out there.

Takoyaki
October 9th, 2011, 10:47
The April placements are largely only for a very few countries. I know Australia and New Zealand applicants can apply for the April intake. Not many people make the April intake...it's only really used when people pull out early and there are spaces available. I had a friend who was given the chance to go in April, but she held out until the August intake.

I'm guessng it might be because the visas for NZ/Aussies are faster to get than for Americans? Not sure...that's my random theory I'm going to throw out there.

Ah I see, I don't know how much anyone knows about how it all works
but would I be safe to assume that if you turned down an april placement after selecting you would be interested would disqualify you from an group A departure?

Froren
October 9th, 2011, 12:37
Most American JETS wouldn't make the April cut because they're still finishing up university into mid May.

Kewne
October 9th, 2011, 19:34

Agreed. The 1st year has 240,000 yen less per year (£2000ish for other Brits) is quite a cut. Back to normal in the second year. Third year increase of 300,000 (£2500ish) and minor increase for 4th and 5th year. Sucks for new arrivals, but I imagine a lot of happy current long-term JETs, as long as they get in on this. In theory it might even encourage JETs to work hard so they get good reviews and stuff for rehiring. Could also put off some who just plan on a year though.

The people who specify April departure would have to pay to get their medical check/criminal record check /before/ they even know if they're getting an interview. That sounds pretty harsh to me, but I guess it's the applicant's choice.

It is harsh, though it says you can do it by the end of February, so by then interviews should be over or you'll at least know if you have one - assuming the interviews are during February in that country too. Probably won't effect me anyway, since the UK website hasn't even updated the pay yet.

or by the end of February

Ahura
October 9th, 2011, 21:48

This is the way it used to be, but apparently April departures, and departures any time between April and Group A/B are now available from all countries for ALTs.

atheistwithfaith
October 9th, 2011, 23:30
They are thinking about paying JETs MORE money.... ?!?!?! I just don't understand this madness.

I don't imagine it will effect current JETs though - surely we will continue with whatever contract arrangement we began with. Are you sure this isn't actually just some weird tax thing and not an actual change to a sliding scale.

People saying its a harsh change in pay -- the JET pay is mental, even if it gets cut by 300,000 yen it is still an insane wage (especially as many JETs get other subsidies that are not mentioned in the recruitment materials).

Kewne
October 9th, 2011, 23:34
They are thinking about paying JETs MORE money.... ?!?!?! I just don't understand this madness.

---

People saying its a harsh change in pay -- the JET pay is mental, even if it gets cut by 300,000 yen it is still an insane wage (especially as many JETs get other subsidies that are not mentioned in the recruitment materials).

I wonder if it works out cheaper for them. If they have more first years than anyone else and enough of them, it might do. Or they could be increasing the resigning requirements.

Is JET pay really that much? I saw a break down once in one of the materials put online and it seemed like the example person wasn't saving that much (though he did have loans and travel costs - but not a car).

Eudox
October 9th, 2011, 23:40
Is JET pay really that much? I saw a break down once in one of the materials put online and it seemed like the example person wasn't saving that much (though he did have loans and travel costs - but not a car).

Yes, yes it is. If you really want to save, you can do that. If you want to have an awesome time traveling around Japan and other parts of Asia, you can do that too. Provided you're not a complete idiot when it comes to finances (which, sadly, most JETs must be or else they wouldn't keep giving budgeting advice at conferences...)

Cytrix
October 10th, 2011, 03:14
Ah I see, I don't know how much anyone knows about how it all works
but would I be safe to assume that if you turned down an april placement after selecting you would be interested would disqualify you from an group A departure?

If you turn down an April intake you can still go with the Group A/Group B. Or at least that's what happened with my friend.

Takoyaki
October 10th, 2011, 10:28
If you want to have an awesome time traveling around Japan and other parts of Asia, you can do that too.

all i could think of when i saw the words time travelling and japan was something along the lines of this ^_^

http://tinypic.com/r/2i763k1/7

mtreecorner
October 11th, 2011, 03:47
I wonder if it works out cheaper for them. If they have more first years than anyone else and enough of them, it might do. Or they could be increasing the resigning requirements.

It does both.

The sliding scale will save them money. You would need to stay 3 years to basically make the same total money. Anyone who leaves after 1 or 2 years are now automatically cheaper overall than 1 or 2 year stayers before. From what I understand most JETs do not stay past 2-3 years?

This also encourages recontacts...Not only do they pay less on flights (less new JETs) but they will have somewhat more experienced ALTs in the classroom.

This will however make it harder to get into the program starting next year. More recontacts mean less open spots.

Also, my guess is this will not affect current JETs. I doubt they would opt to pay them MORE when they don't have to. Same flat rate terms probably will apply to them if they recontract. That is just my guess.

Who knows... this could be a way they are saving the program from the fiscal hawks in japan.

Gizmotech
October 11th, 2011, 09:51
Soo... How many people think those of us already on contract are gonna get screwed and not allowed to join in on the new pay scale next year?

JET Programme Forums • View topic - New salary scale? (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10216&sid=a309464306ce31895cceb373b105febf)

The scale looks a bit better, but I'm thinking the Japanese will just keep those of us recontacting at the old 3.6mil mark.

Gizmo.

Let'sgoJapan
October 11th, 2011, 10:05
Anyone hear anything about this? There was no mention about it from my supervisor when he gave me the recontracting papers...

Takoyaki
October 11th, 2011, 10:13
It does both.

The sliding scale will save them money. You would need to stay 3 years to basically make the same total money. Anyone who leaves after 1 or 2 years are now automatically cheaper overall than 1 or 2 year stayers before. From what I understand most JETs do not stay past 2-3 years?

This also encourages recontacts...Not only do they pay less on flights (less new JETs) but they will have somewhat more experienced ALTs in the classroom.

This will however make it harder to get into the program starting next year. More recontacts mean less open spots.

Also, my guess is this will not affect current JETs. I doubt they would opt to pay them MORE when they don't have to. Same flat rate terms probably will apply to them if they recontract. That is just my guess.

Who knows... this could be a way they are saving the program from the fiscal hawks in japan.

I'd have to agree, the sliding payscale has really changed my mindset, when I thought it would be 3.6m¥ I was thinking I would see how I liked my position and if it was good stay maybe another year or 2. But with the new pay scheme I'm thinking if i was happy I'd definantly look at staying 3 years to make up the loss of the first.
So I guess in that regard it's already effective before it's even been implemented =p

Tyr
October 11th, 2011, 10:34
This...is....news to me...interesting.
I do suspect they would try and keep us on the old scale but I bet some people will kick up a fuss and they might well change it for people deciding to stay on- I do recall a story from years ago of clair agreeing to pay Australians more than others due to the weird tax situation?

Gizmotech
October 11th, 2011, 11:42
I don't see the point of merging the threads when there were two different discussion points. This one is about applications, the other ones was to discuss the impact on current contract jets.

Page
October 11th, 2011, 11:48
If you look through the thread there's posts about the scale as well.

u mad?

Gizmotech
October 11th, 2011, 12:01
Ya bro! I MAD! (The interwebs are serious business)

That aside, it's more about the fact that I'm sure there are people who are involved in the forum who don't troll the applying forum anymore now that they're on JET, and wouldn't think to come to applying to discuss a current JET issue. (IE, I have yet to hear of a re-contracting JET being told about a pay raise, even though for a few of my friends their re-contract papers have already been provided)

But hey, whatever.

EDIT: Though I will admit that perhaps it belonged better in Japan/JET/School related.

uthinkimlost?
October 11th, 2011, 12:03
If you look through the thread there's posts about the scale as well.

u mad?
http://www.ithinkimlost.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2256&stc=1&d=1318302154

atheistwithfaith
October 11th, 2011, 19:18
Soo... How many people think those of us already on contract are gonna get screwed and not allowed to join in on the new pay scale next year?

JET Programme Forums • View topic - New salary scale? (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10216&sid=a309464306ce31895cceb373b105febf)

The scale looks a bit better, but I'm thinking the Japanese will just keep those of us recontacting at the old 3.6mil mark.

Gizmo.

Screwed? I wouldn't call 3.6mil yen 'screwed'.

mtreecorner
October 12th, 2011, 02:24
Screwed? I wouldn't call 3.6mil yen 'screwed'.

Yeah... they are just getting greedy ;)

Antonath
October 12th, 2011, 11:51
Hold your horses, those wanting the new pay scale. There's comments on official that the new scale is before tax, not after. In the early years of the new scale, that's a massive pay cut. In the later years, it's still a cut, just not as budget-screwingly big.

Let'sgoJapan
October 12th, 2011, 13:48
Hold your horses, those wanting the new pay scale. There's comments on official that the new scale is before tax, not after. In the early years of the new scale, that's a massive pay cut. In the later years, it's still a cut, just not as budget-screwingly big.

That would suuuuuck

Gizmotech
October 12th, 2011, 13:50
Taxes are high enough here, and there aren't alot of folk who come to Japan without some amount of debt back home. There's some math in current jets on official which says the take home / month would be about 20man instead of 26man/month.

Antonath
October 12th, 2011, 13:53
It's pretty much confirmed - the new rates are after tax. Buh-bye, huge JET salary!

Takoyaki
October 12th, 2011, 14:02
I'm going to a JET info night at the consulate tonight so I'll probe a little but that pay cut is disheartening for those of us with large debts back home v_v

Gizmotech
October 12th, 2011, 14:06
I don't get it. We currently make about 260,000/month, which yields 3,120,000/year. That's after taxes.

If the new pay scale is after taxes, isn't 3,360,000 an increase?

No, we get paid 3,600,000 after taxes. Then we pay our health insurance and pension which equals about 260,000/month. The new system will be lower on first year, and the hitch is it before or after tax on the new scale.

If it's after tax then we can calculate it against ours.

If it's before tax, it's about 50,000 less /month. (which is what they are saying on official)

Official has two discussions going now:
JET Programme Forums • View topic - New salary scale? (http://jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10216&start=45)
and in current:
JET Programme Forums • View topic - How many opted to stay for the 5 years? (http://jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=90635#p90628)

where they indicate it is ONLY for new JETs... however we have no way to verify this as we decide to recontract before we get our contracts to sign.

EDIT:
So I just did the math on this. If we had to pay Japanese Income tax on the new system:
232500 in base rate
60000 in 20% of income over 3.3mil (30man)
360000 10% in prefectual and municipal taxes
/12 months
54375/month in taxes

That's a pretty big pay hit to take in one go. Ouch.

uthinkimlost?
October 12th, 2011, 14:09
I don't believe Americans are taxed by Japan once they turn in Form 6166.

For countries without a taxation treaty this might be a pretty big deal.

Gizmotech
October 12th, 2011, 14:19
You're paying taxes somewhere.

Canada has a similar agreement to the US from what I understand. We aren't taxed on our foreign income at home, we "pay" Japanese tax instead, but this tax is already taken into account in our JET pay check (ie 3.6mil after taxes).

However if we didn't have a taxation agreement we would be paying tax at home on our income here in Japan as well as our Japanese taxes. So this new deal could really suck for countries without a taxation agreement :(

Antonath
October 12th, 2011, 14:24
For the UK, at least, the taxes you pay in Japan are taken into account when they ask for their money when you move back. Not sure about the other non-treaty countries.

Whether or not there's a treaty in place, it's still a fairly large decrease in pay.

uthinkimlost?
October 12th, 2011, 15:01
You're paying taxes somewhere.

Canada has a similar agreement to the US from what I understand. We aren't taxed on our foreign income at home, we "pay" Japanese tax instead, but this tax is already taken into account in our JET pay check (ie 3.6mil after taxes).

However if we didn't have a taxation agreement we would be paying tax at home on our income here in Japan as well as our Japanese taxes. So this new deal could really suck for countries without a taxation agreement :(

I'm fairly certain that is incorrect. We are not taxed by the US, and the form 6166 stops Japanese Income tax for 2 years.

the paperwork required to be filed with local tax authorities in Japan for the purpose of obtaining an exemption from Japanese income taxes changed. Now, in addition to the standard form provided by your local Japanese tax office, first and second year US JETs must obtain a Certificate of US Residency (Form 6166) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This can be obtained by first filing an Application for United States Residency Certification (Form 8802), links to which are provided below. This form can be filed by fax or regular mail and can take up to 180 days to process. If you meet all the requirements your tax exemption Form 6166 (the actual certification) will be sent back to you. File Form 6166 together with the tax exemption application form obtainable at your local Japanese tax office. Once filed, the exemption will cover JETs for two years. For specific questions about Forms 8802 and 6166 please contact the IRS. For more information about filing these documents at the local Japanese tax office please contact your Prefectural Advisor or JET Programme supervisor or your local tax office.

Gizmotech
October 12th, 2011, 15:16
I'm fairly certain that is incorrect. We are not taxed by the US, and the form 6166 stops Japanese Income tax for 2 years.

You're right. Your tax system has a really high limit for foreign income (91k wow) and you have to pay Japanese taxes after the 2 years.

The Canadian system is a bit different then. Sorry for confusing it :(

Rage_and_Hairspray
October 12th, 2011, 17:47
For the UK, at least, the taxes you pay in Japan are taken into account when they ask for their money when you move back. Not sure about the other non-treaty countries.

Whether or not there's a treaty in place, it's still a fairly large decrease in pay.

There seems to be a whole lot of hearsay and conjecture floating around this, but if the changes do result in such a significant decrease then sadly I'd likely have to drop out of applying. I'm not applying for the money, in fact I'd be taking a pay cut from my current job, but the alleged change from after to before tax would make me think again.

Takoyaki
October 12th, 2011, 17:52
Alas I can alleviate your worries (for australian applicants at least)
I have just returne from the melbourne info night and the new sliding pay scales is defiantly AFTER tax ^_^

Antonath
October 12th, 2011, 18:15
http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/554/original/facepalm.jpg

Come on CLAIR, sort this doo-doo out. What's the story!

Takoyaki
October 12th, 2011, 18:28
Well I for one am releived in the least

Zyhlaari
October 12th, 2011, 18:46
Also relieved. I was too sick to make it to my university information session today, but knowing that its after tax makes it less of a cut, and bearable. Better a cut to salary for first year JETs than axing the whole thing. And more of an incentive to recontract those that do work out as ALTs, and reward them for their commitment.

Kewne
October 12th, 2011, 19:11
Just to check, after or before tax, don't we get refunded the tax we paid? At least it says on the JET-UK website:

The annual remuneration is ¥3,600,000 (out of date). This is sufficient for all normal expenses for a single person including rent, compulsory pension contributions and health / employment insurance. Income tax paid by JET Programme participants is refunded by the Japanese Government.

Takoyaki
October 12th, 2011, 19:13
Just to check, after or before tax, don't we get refunded the tax we paid? At least it says on the JET-UK website:

you can apply to receive 80% of the pension payments back 6 months after returning home

Kewne
October 12th, 2011, 19:15
you can apply to receive 80% of the pension payments back 6 months after returning home

But not income tax?

Antonath
October 12th, 2011, 19:39
We get the pension back because we're not going to use it. We earned the income, so we pay the tax.

Given that some of the PAs have been saying "It's before tax" and these events have apparently said "it's after tax", I'm not celebrating just yet.

Zyhlaari
October 12th, 2011, 20:21
The wording in the information document does sound like its a before tax situation. I guess we just wait and see, and when we have a clear answer, make the tough decisions. For some it wont matter. For others, such as those with debts back home (Either way its enough of a salary to force me to contribute to my student loans for instance) it may mean more careful budgeting, or a tough decision not to apply. I guess we wait for now.

Takoyaki
October 12th, 2011, 20:24
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XvdzlcFx4K0/TQl3LSKenaI/AAAAAAAAAKw/IZ9pxC2NHao/s1600/everything_went_better_than_expected.png

usernamefail
October 12th, 2011, 22:15
My PAs don't know which it is; they haven't received information at all yet. I'm vainly hoping it is after taxes but I don't know why they'd raise our salaries?

I have ridiculous amounts of student loans. I send back about 10man each month to cover them. While I might be able to live on that salary I wouldn't have very much, if any, left over each month after bills and car/rent/everything payments.

JET-setter
October 13th, 2011, 06:02
I guess this means I will be requesting an inaka placement ...

Froren
October 13th, 2011, 16:10
I guess this means I will be requesting an inaka placement ...

You'll probably get one anyhow, so that's good!

sloth
October 15th, 2011, 05:58
They updated the US Jet site today. Applications are now due out late October to early November. They posted the 2012 reference reference and doctor forms though, so I am getting started~!

Takoyaki
October 15th, 2011, 06:59
wow that's slack as, id be tearing my hair out if i was still waiting for it!

deadking
October 15th, 2011, 11:22
Ugh, the constant delays are grating. At least they put the medical and reference forms up so I don't lose my mind yet. :009:

VonD
October 16th, 2011, 13:33
I was checking through the UK JET site today and noticed a changed to the medical form under question 10

Question 10: " Give details of any other health-related issues, in particular if you suffer from any type of disability (e.g. legally blind, hearing impaired, confined to a wheelchair, certified dyslexia, pending medical treatment etc). Candidates who have tattoos and / or body piercings, please describe the details of the location and the size in this section as well. Please have your doctor fill out the Statement of Physician , except for tattoos and body piercings. Candidates with certified dyslexia must provide a copy of the certificate received from their specialist."

I'm sure this wasn't in the application before, I certainly don't remember it being on the application last year. . . this makes me think JET might be cracking down on new JETs "surprising" contracting organisations with body art :( . . . I now see my chances going down in flames lol which sucks because i had a whole little piece planned about coming from a naval family from a naval town with a family tradition of tattoos !

Takoyaki
October 16th, 2011, 13:42
Woah wft I'm fair suprised to hear that, harsh as if you have something discrete but I can see where their coming from

Takoyaki
October 16th, 2011, 13:44
I just checked and it's not on the aussie application

VonD
October 17th, 2011, 04:04
I can understand why they've done it, but also makes me worry that I'd be judged on my tattoos, which plain sucks ! Especially as I've put alot of time and effort into improving my app ! aahh well just see how it goes i guess

JET-setter
October 17th, 2011, 04:14
I'm sure this wasn't in the application before, I certainly don't remember it being on the application last year. . . this makes me think JET might be cracking down on new JETs "surprising" contracting organisations with body art

I don't remember it being on the application either... There are people here who have said they did not encounter any problems with tattoos in Japan, and that may be true in their case, but quite often Japanese people will not openly criticise you in order to avoid confrontation of any sort. It's equally likely that they will put up with it until their earliest opportunity to send you home. BUT if they really don't want people with tattoos, they would ask you not to bother with applying in the first place. When interview time comes around I think what you said about your family history is a great way to explain them.

Who knows what JET is really looking for anyway?

How's your TEFL going? I'm actually hoping the applications will be delayed because I need more time to get it done! It's actually quite a long course.

VonD
October 17th, 2011, 05:14
Mines coming along slowly to be honest, its all good stuff but its hard to concentrate it when theres so many other things I could be doing, distraction after distraction, especially this new iphone 4s ! haha

Yea I understand the whole negative view, the principal of saving face, etc, but im more then happy to cover them up, you cant even see them when im wearing a shirt which I currently do at work.

Tea & Toast
October 17th, 2011, 06:45
Candidates who have tattoos and / or body piercings, please describe the details of the location and the size in this section as well.

Hmm, that's new. It still says on the eligibility page the same about having to cover any tattoos / piercings at all times so I guess they're concerned about those not easy to cover? I see lots more neck / behind the ear / foot / hand stars etc these days...

I'm still applying with my Japanese half-sleeve and other various tattoos, all of which can be covered with office/casual clothing.

Unless I decide to start wearing a bikini for work (which I won't).

Page
October 17th, 2011, 10:43
Yeah, I'd say if there's no chance that they'll ever see them that you don't need to put it down. My kids have never seen mine.

DarkCloudInc
October 17th, 2011, 11:31
I don't think the US reference letter has been updated yet.

Merkypie
October 17th, 2011, 13:13
http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/pdfs/2012%20JETReferenceForm.pdf ?

DarkCloudInc
October 17th, 2011, 13:27
Darn Chrome must be caching the old pages again...

I go harass my Reference Letter author who wrote one for me already to fill in the new form!

asilverthread
October 17th, 2011, 13:37
Yeah I had contacted my references early last week and then the new forms updated. Luckily I was still able to contact my references to get them to switch, especially the one that is mailing me the letter from three states away.

Tea & Toast
October 18th, 2011, 02:20
I emailed the UK JET desk about gross/net salary and got this back:

"Under the new changes, remuneration per annum is approximately just under 3.6 million yen in the first year of appointment. However, the salary changes from 3.6 million yen if you continue the contract on the second year. Please bear in mind that in both cases, the rate is before the deduction of tax and national insurance."

So no mention of 3.36m but a big hefty "YES" to it being gross of tax. I make that a 720k per annum pay cut.

*tears up metaphorical application*

Takoyaki
October 18th, 2011, 07:39

"Under the new changes, remuneration per annum is approximately just under 3.6 million yen in the first year of appointment. However, the salary changes from 3.6 million yen if you continue the contract on the second year. Please bear in mind that in both cases, the rate is before the deduction of tax and national insurance."

So no mention of 3.36m but a big hefty "YES" to it being gross of tax. I make that a 720k per annum pay cut.

oh thats baddddd

Kewne
October 18th, 2011, 22:28

I also e-mailed them. They seemed to confirm it was payment before taxes and they mentioned the following expenses that'll be deducted:

Income tax - 10%
Local inhabitants tax - amount varies by region - a website I was on suggested another 10% - do any current JETs know what they pay?
Pension + National Insurance 40,000 per month/480,000 per year(?)

If those figures are correct, I think the final pay would be about 2,400,000 per year, if it's the higher figure of 3.6m and not the newer suggested figure of 3.36m.

Rage_and_Hairspray
October 18th, 2011, 22:44
So expect to pay about a third in tax? That's what I pay in the UK now.

Kewne
October 18th, 2011, 22:59
I'm just hoping we don't get double taxed - paying in Japan and then again in the UK.

Rage_and_Hairspray
October 18th, 2011, 23:04
Shouldn't do, I believe we have a tax treaty with Japan. In fact, you'll be able to claim the pension money you pay when you return.

Kewne
October 18th, 2011, 23:37
Shouldn't do, I believe we have a tax treaty with Japan. In fact, you'll be able to claim the pension money you pay when you return.

That's something at least. If it was both countries, then participants might end up with less than half of the money remaining. Pension refund doesn't seem like much either, but it's still good.

VonD
October 19th, 2011, 01:29
The pay isnt an issue for me so much, the only job ive managed to find after university is Security Officer - £12k a year :\ . . . Gotta love all the grad opportunities out there . . .

Kewne
October 19th, 2011, 01:34
The pay isn't a huge issue for me either since I want to do this, but I am finding the same lack of graduate opportunities - though that could be partly because of the degree I took being half English (cue song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4f-4CajQyg)) and half specific to teaching, but not actually giving teaching credentials. I do need enough to save for a year of postgraduate study though, so I want to work out the details approximately.

VonD
October 19th, 2011, 01:41
Dear Mr VonD,

Thank you for your initial interest in the UK JET Programme.

In response to your question regarding tattoos and piercings, please note that having tattoos will in no way disqualify you from being eligible to apply for the UK JET Programme. However, we now require all applicants to disclose all information regarding tattoos and piercings on their application form. Should your application be successful, it is extremely likely that you will be questioned about these during the JET interview in the January-February period. For additional information on tattoos and piercings, please refer to the eligibility criteria on our website: JET Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK (http://www.jet-uk.org/eligibility/eligcri.html)

In response to your question regarding the application, we expect the online application form to be released by the end of this month. A link to the online application form will be posted on our website as soon as it becomes available. Our website is: JET Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK (http://www.jet-uk.org/)

erinmarie
October 19th, 2011, 02:28
On the official forums one of the coordinaters said that the US appliation will be up not next week but the week after. Does that mean we wont find out about getting interviews untill mid-late February? This is getting ridiculous. I can't put my life on hold forever in order to apply for JET.

Merkypie
October 19th, 2011, 04:30
She just replied to one of the posters on the board and said that, paraphrasing, they're going to keep to the February interview/April notification schedule. Notifications will be a little late.

I'm guessing early-December due date (Dec 8th?), late-Jan/early-February for interview notifications and mid to late-Feb for actual interviews. Be a miracle if its anything earlier than.

I don't understand why the delay is this bad though. Other than updating the application to reflect early departure? Canada just got their applications today.

hunterofpeace
October 25th, 2011, 16:08
Yeah, the Facebook page says something about hoping to go live with the US application week after next... but that was posted last week. I'm hoping to see it by Halloween. Honestly though, the delay isn't that terrible. If I remember correctly, last year the online application became available near the end of October (either the 21st or 27th... I don't recall which). I was still able to get it done in plenty of time.

Gizmotech
November 1st, 2011, 13:55
Alright boys and girls, we have the message from the powers that be about the pay scale.

The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme (http://jetprogramme.org/e/news/remuneration_change.html)

No change on current JET contracts, they're not allowed to move us to the new contracts (thank god), and yes, new JETs are now paying tax in year 1 and 2 (cept the americans with their fancy little paperwork thingy)

Merkypie
November 1st, 2011, 14:24
What is the reason for the change in remuneration?

-to provide incentive for participants who are appointed for more than one term
-to reduce the financial burden for contracting organisations and to reduce the complicated administrative procedures when calculating a post-tax remuneration

I like all the mixed messages about staying long term, lol.

Gizmotech
November 1st, 2011, 14:38
Really if they wanted us to stay long term it would be easier just to contract us for 3 years and be done with it. Include an extra "out" in the contract which lets them terminate the contract with minimal re-compensation for early termination (ie; plane ticket home).

I mean they would lose people who are just over here for a year for something to do who might end up staying the whole time, but on the plus side they would reduce the headache by having a known quantity for the entire time.

I'm wondering what the big difference is between the tax rates posted on japan-guide.com and their calculations are. Their reductions seem a little light for having taxes removed now. I mean inhabitants tax alone is 10% in most areas.

Takoyaki
November 1st, 2011, 15:17
Alright boys and girls, we have the message from the powers that be about the pay scale.

The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme (http://jetprogramme.org/e/news/remuneration_change.html)

No change on current JET contracts, they're not allowed to move us to the new contracts (thank god), and yes, new JETs are now paying tax in year 1 and 2 (cept the americans with their fancy little paperwork thingy)

daymmmmmnnnnnn looks like all our fears were warranted hey

WaIdroon
November 1st, 2011, 15:36
I'd like to get switched to that new contract now though

Merkypie
November 1st, 2011, 16:03
Really if they wanted us to stay long term it would be easier just to contract us for 3 years and be done with it. Include an extra "out" in the contract which lets them terminate the contract with minimal re-compensation for early termination (ie; plane ticket home).

I mean they would lose people who are just over here for a year for something to do who might end up staying the whole time, but on the plus side they would reduce the headache by having a known quantity for the entire time.

I'm wondering what the big difference is between the tax rates posted on japan-guide.com and their calculations are. Their reductions seem a little light for having taxes removed now. I mean inhabitants tax alone is 10% in most areas.

I agree there, but I guess they don't want to run into any problems by forcing a JET to stay for more than the year. There'll be a lot of broken contracts which would probably cost the CO more than it would cost to just have them there for the year. It would also look bad on CLAIR if JETs kept breaking contract because they were unable to do the full three years.

It is frustrating. In one breath they're saying, " We don't want you here for more than the year. " but in another breath they're like, " But it'll reduce costs for the COs so we have this tiered salary system to give an incentive for you to stay. "

Is JET really an exchange program or is just a glorified ALT position?

Well, obviously we already know that answer.

atheistwithfaith
November 1st, 2011, 18:06
Is JET really an exchange program or is just a glorified ALT position?

Well, obviously we already know that answer.

Definitely the latter. The exchange part would happen whether you were JET or private.

Rage_and_Hairspray
November 1st, 2011, 18:54

Well that sucks somewhat. Will have to look into UK taxation stuff and see what the deal is there.

mtreecorner
November 2nd, 2011, 02:51
My hunch was right:

"This amounts to an approximate 4.0% overall reduction for a three-year period on the JET Programme, an approximate 1.7% reduction for a five-year period and is considered sufficient to live comfortably in Japan."

You you still make less total even staying 5 years. I guess money isn't everything.

Glad i'm 'Merican

Kewne
November 2nd, 2011, 03:50
Well that sucks somewhat. Will have to look into UK taxation stuff and see what the deal is there.

I did get an e-mail from the UK Jet Desk mentioning UK people can claim income tax back at the end of their work period - but not inhabitant(?) tax or pension. They didn't seem 100% sure though.

JET-setter
November 2nd, 2011, 06:07
Please forgive me if I sound completely dumb but taxation is defintely my weak subject and most of it goes way over the top of my head. With that said, will Americans still earn less on the new pay scale despite their special tax agreement/treaty thingy with Japan?

I'm applying as a British citizen, but I am an American citizen as well. How would this whole thing figure for me???

Merkypie
November 2nd, 2011, 06:11
If it's pre-tax and we're not getting double taxed, I would assume that we're actually going to retain more of the stated salary than other countries.

I don't know if you can file tax-exemption if your permanent residence is not in America. That is definitely a consulate question and perhaps a CPA.

nicole.ai
November 2nd, 2011, 06:24
This is what the Miami Coordinator said about U.S. taxing situation:

As for taxes, I do not know about the other countries, but ALTs from the U.S. are eligible to be exempt from paying taxes for their first two years in Japan. CIRs are not. It's not that American ALTs will be paid more, it's simply that they are covered by tax treaty between Japan and the U.S. and therefore do not have that same tax responsibility that many other JETs (including CIRs from the U.S.) will have. So, yes, their final pay will ultimately be more because of that.

I think this has been said before, but the U.S. has a treaty with Japan that their U.S. citizens don't have to pay Japanese taxes while they work in Japan, and then the U.S. has a policy that if you earn less than $80,000 in a year in foreign income, then you don't have to pay taxes on that income once you get back to the States (as long as you filed the correct paperwork for this, I believe). I may be wrong about the second half, but I'm positive that we don't have to pay the Japan taxes. Oh, and like Merkypie said, I don't know if these two tax issues only apply to U.S. Citizen who are also residing in the U.S., or if it can apply to people like you with duel citizenships.

JET-setter
November 2nd, 2011, 07:56
Hmmm. Looks like time to bury my head in the sand. I'm just going to apply whatever and see how I fly when the shit hits the fan when I'm there.

Merkypie
November 2nd, 2011, 07:59
For American applicants, there's an income tax form you have to fill out to get the exemption. I forgot what it is but if you google for it maybe it'll give you some answers.

Takoyaki
November 2nd, 2011, 11:29
At the end of the day, although it seems a little rough for non-american applicants, am I in anyway disheartened? no way!
I'm not in JET for the money and I guess if you are, your probably doing it for the wrong reasons, I guess if you view the changes as another trial to weed out those who aren't committed enough it seems fair enough, who knows may even see reduced numbers of applicants as a result

Gizmotech
November 2nd, 2011, 11:33
From my understanding Canadians will have to start paying local taxes out of their salary (they were previously compensated for this by an increase salary and deductions) and our taxation treaty still means this foreign income is not taxable at home while on JET.

Nicole.ai seems to have an accurate understanding of the American system from everything I've read so far.

Gizmotech
November 2nd, 2011, 11:39
I'm not in JET for the money and I guess if you are, your probably doing it for the wrong reasons, I guess if you view the changes as another trial to weed out those who aren't committed enough it seems fair enough, who knows may even see reduced numbers of applicants as a result

I STRONGLY disagree with the beginning of this. If you are making decisions in your life without considering the long term financial repercussions then you are making the WRONG decision. The decision needs to factor in everything, including the money.

Merkypie
November 2nd, 2011, 11:45
I STRONGLY disagree with the beginning of this. If you are making decisions in your life without considering the long term financial repercussions then you are making the WRONG decision. The decision needs to factor in everything, including the money.

Agreed. Money and the passion for the work should apply in every job decision you make.

Takoyaki
November 2nd, 2011, 11:46
Just saying like I have a mortgage which I will need to send some money home to service every month so the fact JETs come home with a couple extra yen than your average eikawa teacher was an important factor for me. But at the end of the day I'm more interested in the experience and if this pay cut means I'm going to have to be a little more frugal then so be it, il just focus on saving every extra dollar I can to make up for it before I leave

Kewne
November 2nd, 2011, 12:29

Agreed. I'm more interested in the experience and chance to learn new things, but money is a factor too - I'm going to want to do my postgraduate after this, which means I need to save money for rent, other bills, the course itself, etc for a year, since it's a time-consuming enough course to rule out a part-time job.

if you view the changes as another trial to weed out those who aren't committed enough it seems fair enough.....who knows may even see reduced numbers of applicants as a result

On the UK website, it still lists the previous pay and it's only mentioned differently hidden away in a large downloadable document about how to fill in the application. Some may hear about it from here and other forums, but it doesn't seem like it's intended to be another trial at least. Hopefully we will see a reduced number of applicants though.

Takoyaki
November 2nd, 2011, 13:03
Well the only reason i could see people less people applying may be as their situations (such as student loans) may dictate that JET now simply does not pay enough for them to be able to participate anymore and still meet their financial obligations, I'm in a similar predicament as I have a mortgage but sure the drop is going to make things a little harder but it's certainly no game ender for me at least

uthinkimlost?
November 2nd, 2011, 14:06
Well the only reason i could see people less people applying may be as their situations (such as student loans) may dictate that JET now simply does not pay enough for them to be able to participate anymore and still meet their financial obligations, I'm in a similar predicament as I have a mortgage but sure the drop is going to make things a little harder but it's certainly no game ender for me at least

99% of the JETs I know seem to pi** their pay away anyway.

Gizmotech
November 2nd, 2011, 14:11
99% of the JETs I know seem to pi** their pay away anyway.

I know a few like that, doesn't mean we all do it though... Though this month could be a piss away month with all the travelling I have to do :(

atheistwithfaith
November 2nd, 2011, 17:57

In the UK at least you would be very hard pressed to find this good a salary as a recent graduate - even with the cuts in pay from next year.

mtreecorner
November 3rd, 2011, 01:03
I know a lot of people who piss their money away haha.

Still got to take $$$ into account though, as with all decisions.

AVN
November 6th, 2011, 22:50
From my understanding Canadians will have to start paying local taxes out of their salary (they were previously compensated for this by an increase salary and deductions) and our taxation treaty still means this foreign income is not taxable at home while on JET.

Nicole.ai seems to have an accurate understanding of the American system from everything I've read so far.

For Canadians at the moment it's about 7000yen a month we pay and then get back. So you can imagine with a lower salary income tax will probablly be lower so maybe 6000 yen a month only now you will pay it out of pocket. Then you'll have residential which most are not compensated for though some are. so you're looking at 12 000 to 14 000 a month in taxes. And as a JET you'll pay no taxes back in Canada on this income.