PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4S Question.

kakusei
October 11th, 2011, 02:38
Hello,

I am a former JET from Saga-ken living in NYC. I am planning on buying an unlocked iPhone 4S and had a few questions about using my active SoftBank 3G sim card in the new phone.

I left my phone active when I left japan two years ago and still pay the bills for my iPhone 3G - primarily because i travel to Japan frequently for work and it's convenient to keep my existing number.

Anyway, I will finally be upgrading to the unlocked 4S when it comes out I the US in November and was wondering if anyone has successfully been able to have SoftBank issue them a microsim in place of a regular sim card (iPhone 4 owners I'm looking at you) without signing a new contract, etc. I have heard that AT&T will do this for customers in the states.. I Realize I could just cut the card down but I don't trust myself and would rather not have to go into SoftBank asking for a new one if it's easier to just ask them to swap my current sim for a Microsim. Hs anyone done this? Thanks,

Gizmotech
October 11th, 2011, 10:25
My friend recently upgraded from whatever piece of junk softbank phone she was using to an iPhone 4 (about 3 weeks ago) and they gave her the new sim when she bought the phone. Don't know if this helps at all, but she didn't sign a new contract.

kakusei
October 11th, 2011, 12:57
cool thanks for the heads up - that is a bit promising.. guess it might be best to just go in and ask next time im in japan before butchering my sim

Beer Baron
November 5th, 2011, 16:36
I don't see why not. As long as you're paying the bills, they have no reason to not give you the sim size required for whatever phone you want to use.

O2 in the UK provides free microsims on request for people wanting to do exactly what you are trying to do.