PDA

View Full Version : Language Exchange Ideas

キャろ
October 12th, 2011, 09:33
I need some suggestions for how to get started with a language exchange.

I posted on a local university message board, and I got a couple of responses from people who've said they're interested...but I got a text from one of them yesterday asking how I wanted to go about doing it, and I realized that I hadn't actually thought that far ahead yet...

My Japanese is not bad (I can talk about most things, although I'm really bad at small talk in Japanese and want to work on it), so I mostly want to spend more time speaking/meet people my age to talk to (since there are not many young people in my city). Any suggestions for topics to start out? Suggestions for how to make sure that it doesn't just turn into helping with English? Things you've done that were helpful/not helpful?

coop52
October 12th, 2011, 09:41
Start a blog on lang-8 and check other people's blogs. Get a mixi account too. There are exchange communities on there, and there are definitely young people on both sites.

MixedNuts
October 12th, 2011, 19:47
There are language exchange communities on mixi? I have a mixi account, but I really haven't had much luck on it. I have few mixi franz and the people who write me are the typical one without a real profile pic or real name who are like "Hi, be my friend!" or "Is it foreigner?" or "Sex friend??"...or else write on and on about their house chores or USJ/Disney trips and take endless food pics. I'd be more up for using mixi if I could find some normal people.

Eudox
October 13th, 2011, 07:47
Sounds like normal Japanese girls to me.