PDA

View Full Version : When do Japanese teachers find out their assignments for the next school year?

Let'sgoJapan
October 12th, 2011, 18:24
Do they find out before we have to decide whether or not to recontract? Whether or not some of my teachers stay at my schools might affect whether or not I recontract...

MixedNuts
October 12th, 2011, 19:34
My teachers found out mid-March.

Let'sgoJapan
October 12th, 2011, 21:49
Is the usual rule 3 and done?

lilyanphino
October 13th, 2011, 09:37
One of my teachers has been at my school for 6 years. I am betting she won't be at this school next year, but you never know.

Cytrix
October 13th, 2011, 09:54
One thing you can be sure of is that teachers who took their licensing exam this year will definitely move to a new school.

Noooo my new fave JTE just received her results, so this means I lose her next year. She was my fellow newbie to the schoooooool

MJN
October 13th, 2011, 11:03
How far and wide do teachers tend to be moved? Tend to stay within the same -ken or -shi area, or can they go anywhere?

Wondering because in my -shi there are 5 JHS's, I'm at 3 of them and likewise, there's a really good JTE at one that is also just started. Wondering if there's a reasonable chance that they'd be moved to a school I'm also at, or if that's not really a possibility.

UPGRAYEDD
October 13th, 2011, 11:16
How far and wide do teachers tend to be moved? Tend to stay within the same -ken or -shi area, or can they go anywhere?

Always within the prefecture.

Also depends on licensing. Teachers who only have the temporary license can only get transferred around the different schools under the jurisdiction of the BOE that hired them. Something like that.

And I'm sure there are complicated union rules too that come into play also.

Antonath
October 13th, 2011, 11:27
Where I am, it tends to depend on the BoE, as well. Elementary and junior high teachers work for the city BoE and tend to stay within the city's system, but high school teachers are prefectural and can get placed at the other end of the prefecture if that's what the BoE wants.

word
October 13th, 2011, 12:16
I've been told that family can affect the decisions, too; if you've got a family, they tend to place you near them and allow you to remain at a school longer.

I'm pretty sure my home school JTE is leaving this year, and I am so thankful I'm considering returning to religion just so I can praise god.

Tyr
October 13th, 2011, 15:19
I've one JTE who worked at a school for 20 years, and another who seems to move every year. Both are older women so...no clue on the logic there. Both are quite nice and decent teachers too. Japan is odd.

n107
October 13th, 2011, 19:05
When I was a JET, my first JTE and, later, her replacement had told me months in advance that they "thought" they were going to be moved at the end of the school year. Even though they said things like "I think" or "I might" it seemed like it was a 99.9% guaranteed thing but they couldn't state with confidence. Of course it was to be a secret.

So I think it is possible that some teachers may learn of their impending movement very early but I don't know how often that may happen. I also don't understand the ridiculous need for secrecy in matters such as this or, even more so, on the topic of who will be the HRT of each class the next year.

MixedNuts
October 13th, 2011, 19:12
The secrecy and last-minuteness of things is kinda dumb.

One of my past JTEs kept saying for several years that he "thought" he'd be transferring as well. But that was because he submitted a request for a transfer and he had been at that same school for about a decade. His request was declined every time.

I think it's also crazy how junior high kids will take the entrance exams in March and then have like a week or so to find out what high school they're going to end up attending, and buy uniforms/school bag, etc. I assume it's gotta be stressful. Especially for the kids who don't get into their first choice school and have to take another round of exams. I guess college entrance time is also stressful, but at least they don't have to buy uniforms. On the other hand, for some of them it may mean a difference in commuting from home or having to move to an apartment.

Let'sgoJapan
October 13th, 2011, 20:32
The secrecy and last-minuteness of things is kinda dumb.

One of my past JTEs kept saying for several years that he "thought" he'd be transferring as well. But that was because he submitted a request for a transfer and he had been at that same school for about a decade. His request was declined every time.

I think it's also crazy how junior high kids will take the entrance exams in March and then have like a week or so to find out what high school they're going to end up attending, and buy uniforms/school bag, etc. I assume it's gotta be stressful. Especially for the kids who don't get into their first choice school and have to take another round of exams. I guess college entrance time is also stressful, but at least they don't have to buy uniforms. On the other hand, for some of them it may mean a difference in commuting from home or having to move to an apartment.

Do kids go out and live on their own in an APT during high school?

Eudox
October 13th, 2011, 20:53
*cough*

lilyanphino
October 13th, 2011, 21:37
Do kids go out and live on their own in an APT during high school?

Yes. Yes they do. :rolleyes:

octopi
October 14th, 2011, 09:07
When I was a JET, my first JTE and, later, her replacement had told me months in advance that they "thought" they were going to be moved at the end of the school year. Even though they said things like "I think" or "I might" it seemed like it was a 99.9% guaranteed thing but they couldn't state with confidence. Of course it was to be a secret.

Didn't you know that "maybe" in Japan means "most definitely?"

On Japanese Probability | This Japanese Life. | 生命を外面九天です (http://thisjapaneselife.org/2011/10/12/probably-tabun-japan/)

octopi
October 14th, 2011, 09:09

In my neck of the woods some students live in student housing for high school or do get their own (parent funded) apartment because many of them are coming from far flung islands.

MJN
October 14th, 2011, 16:35

Guessing that's sarcasm judging by the :rolleyes: but why?

It's not uncommon for bright students where I live to leave school at 16, with a good set of Highers, and go to University sometimes requiring their own flat.

lilyanphino
October 14th, 2011, 17:24
Guessing that's sarcasm judging by the :rolleyes: but why?

It's not uncommon for bright students where I live to leave school at 16, with a good set of Highers, and go to University sometimes requiring their own flat.

I know this, but how the initial question was asked sounded like the person asking was asking if all High School students left home and got their own places when in fact only a handful of students do this.

Eudox
October 14th, 2011, 20:03
Wow, this thread got all serious n sh*t. For my part, I was sniggering because letsgo misinterpreted mixednuts' post.

MixedNuts
October 15th, 2011, 03:42
lolololol

But yeah, I was referring to college students about the apartment thing.

But you other posters also reminded me that yes, some high school students do live on their own. Like when a family is relocated for a job or lives in a BFI rural area and their kid gets into a good high school and they want him or her to have the opportunity to attend said school.