PDA

View Full Version : Early Departure

asilverthread
October 19th, 2011, 09:55
The updates to the applications are being released, which include additional material for an early departure in April.

I'm curious who is going to try for early departure this year.

For myself I'm still on the fence. I've been looking into a three-month long program for a while now that will take place in the spring. It works out as I would be done by the regular JET departure date. Yet like the JET program there is no guarantee I'll get into it. I'm still thinking about getting everything together for the early departure eligibility.

Merkypie
October 19th, 2011, 10:00
I'm applying for Early Departure. It doesn't hurt to try and if I manage to get an interview and not be selected for Early Departure, at least I have all my paperwork in for the standard Group B departure date.

I heard that the April departure doesn't really leave until later on, so who actually knows? I'm interested in how they're going to do it this year with how tight the schedule is.... I mean, like you said, its a big decision and I'm surprised they don't have much information pertaining to it on the US side for us applicants.

asilverthread
October 19th, 2011, 10:05
It is confusing. Better to have too many options than not enough. I think I will go through the early departure stuff. Have you already started on those materials? The FBI check and the health check?

Merkypie
October 19th, 2011, 10:20
That is definitely true though. I think it might also help us in the long run since we're more accessible... Or maybe that's just false hopes on my end :P

I've just got my health check done yesterday and I did my FBI Check last Friday. So I'm pretty much done with everything. I'm just waiting for the application to go live so I can finally send out this ridiculous sized package.

Oh, and references, waiting on them.

Speaking of the FBI Check, it definitely won't arrive in time for the application. I called them today to ask what the processing time looks like and they said two months. I wrote a letter in place of my FBI results letting them know in DC that it is arriving two months from the date they received it (tracking info and all of that).

asilverthread
October 19th, 2011, 10:40
Well they said they understood that the FBI results may not be received in time. It says to include you have applied for the background check in the application.

Merkypie
October 19th, 2011, 11:10
Yep, that's what I did. Attached it with my application just to be sure.

Tyr
October 19th, 2011, 13:18
There's early departure for non-ANZACs this year?
You guys really do have it good this year!
I blame the fear of radiation worries stopping people applying in Clair.

Page
October 19th, 2011, 15:59
Meh, I don't think so. While it's still very real here, the worst of drop outs would have been last year. The international media doesn't give two shits about it anymore.

Takoyaki
October 19th, 2011, 17:01
i have a question Aussie JET's might be able to help me with

As I intend to apply for the April departure I was looking into obtaining a police check in the near future

Would I be correct to presume a National Police Record Check is what is required and on that note
Within the form there is ‘Section E: Purpose of check’ in which I have several options to choose from, would the right one be to obtain an overseas visa?

Merkypie
October 19th, 2011, 19:54
Meh, I don't think so. While it's still very real here, the worst of drop outs would have been last year. The international media doesn't give two shits about it anymore.

Only when someone at the plant dies or TEPCO announces some closing phase. But other than that, nothing on the cable news networks. They already did the montages and documentaries of Western people surviving and telling their accounts.

The only people really pushing this disaster, at least in my neck of the woods, is the car dealerships. It's caused a decrease in production so all you hear on the radio is, " Due to the disaster in Japan, XXX has no cars but if you come to XXX we have over 10,000 cars in stock! "

Tyr
October 19th, 2011, 21:24
Japan though still seems pretty worried about people thinking the situation is bad

Murasaki Ookami
October 23rd, 2011, 15:05
i have a question Aussie JET's might be able to help me with

As I intend to apply for the April departure I was looking into obtaining a police check in the near future

Would I be correct to presume a National Police Record Check is what is required and on that note
Within the form there is ‘Section E: Purpose of check’ in which I have several options to choose from, would the right one be to obtain an overseas visa?

I believe you are correct, there is a similar question on the one for Ireland and I marked mine as Visa. this isn't gospel though as I'm not familiar with the process it was just the only answer that fit, on my version of the form

Murasaki Ookami
October 23rd, 2011, 15:11
Oh yeah I'm also thinking of the early departure, I just applied for my police cert and as soon as I can I'm gonna sort the medicals out. I'm also hoping it will reflect well on me. but it will also leave me less time to save extra money up.

Takoyaki
October 24th, 2011, 12:48
Oh yeah I'm also thinking of the early departure, I just applied for my police cert and as soon as I can I'm gonna sort the medicals out. I'm also hoping it will reflect well on me. but it will also leave me less time to save extra money up.

I emailed the consulate and suppringly I was told its to work with children

I dont know how much exactly it would help but from what iv been told a lot of the time people can get upgraded simply because they have all their forms submitted

Merkypie
October 24th, 2011, 13:40
upgraded simply because they have all their forms submitted

That's true. It's been said that the alternates that have all their forums in are usually picked over alternates that don't.

Takoyaki
October 24th, 2011, 14:06
Since this was stressed so much I'm baffled why applicants would be slack in submitting them, still all the better for us hey ^_^

uthinkimlost?
October 24th, 2011, 14:07
Since this was stressed so much I'm baffled why applicants would be slack in submitting them, still all the better for us hey ^_^

When it's you paying for the medical check and the emergency background check b/c the FBI failed you, we'll see how 'on it' you are.

Takoyaki
October 24th, 2011, 14:58
When it's you paying for the medical check and the emergency background check b/c the FBI failed you, we'll see how 'on it' you are.

Already paid for both, never hurts to be well prepared ^_^

uthinkimlost?
October 24th, 2011, 15:20
Already paid for both, never hurts to be well prepared ^_^

I can't speak for Aus, but I think in the US both checks must be done within the past 6 months from the date you submit them.

Takoyaki
October 24th, 2011, 15:26
I can't speak for Aus, but I think in the US both checks must be done within the past 6 months from the date you submit them.

Oh i only got them done last week, but i think the American checks would perhaps cost a lot more than the Australian equivalent.
Our police checks dont need fingerprints so mine was like 33$ and my medical forms cost about 100$ as i got the xray on healthcare

Murasaki Ookami
October 24th, 2011, 17:16
I thought you only needed an xray if the doctor thought you needed one?
I think i need to read through it again

Takoyaki
October 24th, 2011, 17:21
I thought you only needed an xray if the doctor thought you needed one?
I think i need to read through it again

im pretty sure the xray is a visa thing about not having tuberculosis

asilverthread
October 24th, 2011, 22:53
It doesn't say it's optional, nor does it say it's mandatory. I took it as you had to get one. My doctor thought the same even though she didn't agree with it.

Merkypie
October 25th, 2011, 00:25
It's either or for the American health certificate. The forum specifically states that if you do not get the X-Ray exam then you must provide the results for the TB skin test.

D. X-ray Examination: Please describe the results of a physical and X-ray examination of the
applicant's chest. Please note the exact date of the X-ray. (An X-ray taken more than three months prior
to the completion of this Certificate of Health is NOT acceptable.) Results of a tuberculosis test must be
provided if the necessary information is not completed below.

So, my doctor did the TB skin test. He didn't understand why they needed the X-ray first, so he read the form, and did the skin test instead. He said if it came back positive, he would do the X-Ray exam. It didn't, so I managed to save myself a crap load of money.

.rach.
October 26th, 2011, 10:59
Ah! This is something I know a lot about, since I just went through this whole process for work!

So if you've never had a TB test and you didn't get a vaccine as a child, you'll need a skin test. If that appears positive, you did get the vaccine, or you have tested positive for TB in the past (meaning you will always test positive for TB), you'll need a chest x-ray to verify that your lungs are clear of active TB. Recently, my doctor actually had me do a blood test because my skin test came back borderline. The blood test is more expensive, but definitely more definitive. Since I have latent TB, I will be submitting an x-ray since I can no longer take the skin test because it will cause skin necrosis.

nicole.ai
October 26th, 2011, 12:10
I plan on applying for early departure too, because like Merkypie said, it doesn't hurt to try. Right now, I have nothing holding me here in April-July, so I'd be able to travel early.

I almost was going to do the x-ray, but then I reread a post from one of the coordinators who said the U.S. will accept either the x-ray or tb test. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the letter my doctor gave me will be sufficient enough. They wrote that I "had a PPD placed and read on the dates listed above, and results were normal with no induration or redness." Hopefully it will be understood by the reviewers of our application material that the test was negative, and I do not have TB....

Anyway, I have everything pretty much ready to submit. Just need to finalize my SOP and wait for the application go online. Getting anxious with all the waiting.

Merkypie
October 28th, 2011, 14:29
Has anyone thought about the chances of early departure? I was looking up for some additional info on the whole process since there's really nothing on it on the US side and I stumbled over the Australian accounts, etc.

In 2010 there were two from Aus that made it and in 2011 there was 4.

Now in 2012 they've opened up Early Departure for just about everyone. Does anyone know why? Did a whole lot of JETs drop or are there more positions being opened?

It just seems odd that they opened up Early Departure to about 5k applicants with barely 1% in open positions.

Takoyaki
October 28th, 2011, 15:05
Has anyone thought about the chances of early departure? I was looking up for some additional info on the whole process since there's really nothing on it on the US side and I stumbled over the Australian accounts, etc.

In 2010 there were two from Aus that made it and in 2011 there was 4.

Now in 2012 they've opened up Early Departure for just about everyone. Does anyone know why? Did a whole lot of JETs drop or are there more positions being opened?

It just seems odd that they opened up Early Departure to about 5k applicants with barely 1% in open positions.

can you link me please ^_^

asilverthread
October 28th, 2011, 15:19
Well I was digging around the US site and it says:

**Individuals wishing to be considered for one of a very limited number of early placements (departing April-July 2012) will face a much more stringent application schedule. Please read the application instructions for more details.

So obviously it is going to be a very small amount of people going in on early departure. I can't say why they are opening up early departures to everyone. There is a demand for more JETs? Dunno.

Merkypie
October 28th, 2011, 15:26
So obviously it is going to be a very small amount of people going in on early departure. I can't say why they are opening up early departures to everyone. There is a demand for more JETs? Dunno.

Well, that's a given. But how many positions are we looking at? Are some consulates even getting slots for April departure? Because it could be that Chicago, Denver and New York would get the April departure slots and Miami, Phoenix and Atlanta could be assed out.

Australia only has around 220 odd participants while the US has over 2,000. It just seems odd that they would open up April departure to more people... if there's not that many spots to begin with.

can you link me please ^_^

This is a thread about some Aus leaving on April Departure (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3019). But the official forums has some information regarding it specifically. Just do a search since its spread out in a couple of threads. :)

asilverthread
October 28th, 2011, 15:33
I would imagine they would go to the most eligible more so than what consulate people are applying. Yet maybe they're just wanting to speed up the process with the early departures? They may really need a few people to leave early, but then the process of getting everything together could be too time consuming to leave when needed. Open it up to all the applications and then you have a large pool of people who have most of the required paperwork. Not only that but you know for sure who can leave early and who can't.

Merkypie
October 28th, 2011, 15:41
I have a feeling it could go three ways:

1. This will open up more slots at the consulate. IE, Miami only has 20 slots. But they also get 4 Early Departure slots. So that will enable 24 JETs total to be sent out of Miami

2. The early departure slots also apply to the open spots for the application year. IE, Miami has 20 slots. Four get accepted to Early Departure. That only means 16 JETs make it to July departure

or

3. The consulates are not in control of the April departure and has no effect on the consulate slots

From what I read, each consulate gets a certain amount of open spots based upon the applicants from the previous year. Which is why consulates like Chicago and LA send more JETs than Miami or Anchorage. It would great if Early Departure is an added bonus, because it potentially raises the chances of getting into the program if not chosen for an early departure. Or it can just make things harder because slots are reduced.

IDKY for some reason I'm thinking about all of this now....

asilverthread
October 28th, 2011, 15:52
It's a lot to think about with very little answers on our end. Only thing we can do is make our applications strong to get in regardless of the slots.

Murasaki Ookami
November 2nd, 2011, 10:34
I contacted the embassy here in Dublin, regarding the whole X-Ray issue because lets face it who wants all them Rads if you don't need them. and the response was good they said " As stated in the Application Checklist, if you doctor feels that you do not need a chest x-ray, a letter on headed paper is required from your doctor confirming that there is no clinical indication for you to have a chest x-ray prior to travelling to Japan." so I'm hopping I'll get away without one.

Takoyaki
November 2nd, 2011, 11:23
I contacted the embassy here in Dublin, regarding the whole X-Ray issue because lets face it who wants all them Rads if you don't need them. and the response was good they said " As stated in the Application Checklist, if you doctor feels that you do not need a chest x-ray, a letter on headed paper is required from your doctor confirming that there is no clinical indication for you to have a chest x-ray prior to travelling to Japan." so I'm hopping I'll get away without one.

just man up get one and use a Rad-X dude =P
http://guides.gamepressure.com/fallout3/gfx/word/894688921.jpg