PDA

View Full Version : Access to my account while abroad

mrcharisma
October 19th, 2011, 12:34
I'm heading home for a few weeks at Xmas and have to leave a couple of days before payday. As my account is a basic cash card one with the local bank and GoLloyds said I can't make a remittance over the phone, is there any other way of getting to my wages while I'm away? Otherwise I'll be sitting at home skint and highly frustrated for the last days of 2011.

I know I could open up a Post Office account or something but it's not really an option as I'll have no spare cash to put in it by December anyway.

Scrotty
October 19th, 2011, 12:41
give your supervisor / japenese girlfriend access to your account and get them to golloyds it to you

Tyr
October 19th, 2011, 13:20
...you spend all your wages in a month?
Why would you need your December wages? Surely what you`ve saved over the months before should do the trick?
If you really are so crazily free spending (how!?!?!) surely you can get a friend at home to loan you some cash then go lloyds it to them when you get home?

mrcharisma
October 19th, 2011, 14:09
I went nuts with the cash during first month, spending every single penny, but will have about 90,000 left come payday this time round, including the 78,000 I sent home which equates to about 6 hundred quid.

Flights alone to the UK will cost about 1000 pounds minimum, plus travel to Tokyo, money on Xmas presents etc. Even if I can put away 90,000 October and November it will leave me with only a little bit left to actually spend when I get home, when I'd planned a fortnight of debauchery.

I 'm not sure my supervisor would be willing to do that but I might just ask, I don't see any other option.

It's amazing how quickly a pretty cushy salary can just disappear. I'm being torn a new one each month for my contract hire car which is a mistake I won't be making next year.

MJN
October 20th, 2011, 12:08
I could honestly not begin to spend the monthly salary. It helps I'm not paying rent, have very little monthly expenses and fairly cheap tastes, but can you not save a little beforehand? Even including buying my car I managed to send back a good chunk of my first pair of paychecks.

Also christmas is a stupidly expensive time for flights - even still, I found some out and back for 495 quid. Try searching the likes of Tokyo-Helsinki-Heathrow (Finnair), Tokyo-dubai-Glasgow (Emerites) or Tokyo-seoul-heathrow (Asiana) for some good deals.

MixedNuts
October 20th, 2011, 12:48
It's kind of dumb to berate the guy for not saving enough. Presumably he knows how much he can save before his trip and will still need an infusion from his Japanese account to fund his travel. That's what he's asking about, so there's no point in making this YET ANOTHER "how could you possibly spend your whole salary?!" harping thread.

+1

And again, not everyone has their rent, living expenses, and transportation subsidized.

mrcharisma
October 20th, 2011, 14:04
Thanks-thought the supervisor route was the only real option anyway. Looking forward to another stilted conversation full of misunderstandings to get it sorted.

MJN

Ta for the recommendations-495 quid return?! I checked those airlines and best I could get was still a grand with Emirates for 19th Dec to 6th Jan. Is it better to wait until nearer the time to book? I was thinking of taking the last-minute option but not sure if I risk having to pay even more by doing so.

As for the savings, first month aside I should be able to send back between 70,000 to 100,000 each month and still live a more luxurious life than back home. 60,000 outgoings plus lack of free lunch at school prevents me from sending more.

I would have enough money for a decent fortnight in the UK with those savings but there's a nice unpaid tax bill sitting waiting for me. Lovely.

Lianwen
October 20th, 2011, 14:22
Try websites like bookingbuddy.com or studentuniverse.com too.

And, sometimes it`s cheaper paying in a different currency. I`m flying back home during the same dates you are, and that`s to America`s east coast and am only paying 1300USD. When I was trying to book in yen, I was being quoted 14man.

Good luck. I`m feeling for my wallet this month too.

MJN
October 20th, 2011, 15:42
Ta for the recommendations-495 quid return?! I checked those airlines and best I could get was still a grand with Emirates for 19th Dec to 6th Jan. Is it better to wait until nearer the time to book? I was thinking of taking the last-minute option but not sure if I risk having to pay even more by doing so.

No, don't wait til last minute - those are by far the most expensive. In truth I booked a month ago, which is why they were far cheaper. Even still, it's an expensive time to fly. Your best bet is you use websites like lastminute or expedia, see if you can snatch a good deal, or check airline websites for specific routes. Also, keep in mind an airport switch on return (such as Narita-heathrow and back to Haneda) can sometimes save you a remarkable amount.

If you're getting an internal UK flight, (glasgow to london or something) try dropping it, look at bus or car rental options - chances are at this stage, it'll be cheaper.