PDA

View Full Version : How many JETs teach lessons on the side?

therealwindycity
October 24th, 2011, 18:38
My predecessor tried to pass her 1000 yen per student per week eikaiwa class along to me, insisting that "pretty much all JETs have something on the side here." I decided to continue it but make it free, which I'm glad I did because I've really enjoyed the students, and they've taught me a fair amount of interesting Japanese. Still, I'm curious about how many JETs teach lessons for extra money. I know it's probably not something that would get you fired if the BOE found out, but I'm still too nervous to try.

Kewne
October 24th, 2011, 19:18
What are the legalities/rules of it? Is it allowed to teach another job while on the work visa for JET? Is it something JET says not to do in your contract, so you should keep it quiet?

lilyanphino
October 24th, 2011, 20:19
What are the legalities/rules of it? Is it allowed to teach another job while on the work visa for JET? Is it something JET says not to do in your contract, so you should keep it quiet?

It is 100% not allowed to make money elsewhere while on JET teaching English. Of course, what they don't know won't hurt them as long as they don't find out.

miss_doitsu
October 24th, 2011, 20:52
I had private lessons the whole time I was there. Some of my JTEs knew about it. It wasn't like I shouted off about it all the time. My supervisor set me up with one of them herself, though she didn't know about the others.

I'd say most of the ALTs in my town had private lessons.

Eudox
October 24th, 2011, 21:58
I think all of the alts in my area have at least one eikaiwa. The majority of them are for the BOE; usually paid. You're just not 'allowed' to get paid from anyone other than your BOE. It's not like anyone is going to know (or care), though.

Let'sgoJapan
October 25th, 2011, 00:12
Huh, surprising, none of the other 6 JETs in my town do Eikaiwa

mteacher80
October 25th, 2011, 07:51
my contract said we couldnt do any other work without the BOE approval. they set me up with a class that paid a few man a month and i found another that paid the same and had them ok it as well.

Lianwen
October 25th, 2011, 10:16
No one in my area does Eikaiwa either. Although, I would love to do it. I have too much free time that I want to kill, and even an extra man a month would be appreciated.

Let'sgoJapan
October 25th, 2011, 12:13
No one in my area does Eikaiwa either. Although, I would love to do it. I have too much free time that I want to kill, and even an extra man a month would be appreciated.

Same, even 1,500 to work for an hour would be worth it to pay for a dinner out...

dialogue
October 25th, 2011, 13:42
I have two mandatory eikaiwas... one of them during my regular hours, and the other at night. I get daikyuu for that one.

Tyr
October 25th, 2011, 18:05
There's a few in my prefecture who are known to have jobs on the side, nobody much cares.

miss_doitsu
October 25th, 2011, 20:52
Word of mouth is the best way to get lessons. To me, eikaiwa is when you go to an actual company and teach their students. Private lessons are probably better because you can keep it on the low and you decide the price.

For those looking to take some extra classes on, ask the people who have been there a while, a lot of people know someone who wants to be taught. I know I had more people wanting lessons from me than I was able to teach.

jwkelley
October 25th, 2011, 22:09
I have been asking my school to run a review class or something but they just smile and say thank you for the offer. I am bored and have been reading a lot on different language teaching techniques that i want to experiment with but cant fully in the current setting.

miss_doitsu
October 25th, 2011, 22:37
Which was one of the main reasons I taught on the side too.

MJN
October 26th, 2011, 14:08
I've been forced into an unpaid english lesson for people at my supervisor's office.

I've not done any student tutoring, but tbh would be glad to. How do people even start going about them? I have virtually no interaction with parents of students or anything to arrange it. Is tutoring even done at middle-school level or is it more just a highschool thing?

wry bread
October 26th, 2011, 14:08
I can't be bothered but I know plenty of ALTs who do private lessons.

Tyr
October 26th, 2011, 18:58
Word of mouth is the best way to get lessons. To me, eikaiwa is when you go to an actual company and teach their students. Private lessons are probably better because you can keep it on the low and you decide the price.

For those looking to take some extra classes on, ask the people who have been there a while, a lot of people know someone who wants to be taught. I know I had more people wanting lessons from me than I was able to teach.
You did extra lessons for your students?
That...sounds a bit wrong to me.
Trading your students with a friend's students gets around this somewhat.

miss_doitsu
October 26th, 2011, 19:00
I've been forced into an unpaid english lesson for people at my supervisor's office.

I've not done any student tutoring, but tbh would be glad to. How do people even start going about them? I have virtually no interaction with parents of students or anything to arrange it. Is tutoring even done at middle-school level or is it more just a highschool thing?

Most of mine were bored housewives, though I taught one elem school kid and two dentists. If you are a vagina owner, be careful when accepting older male students.