PDA

View Full Version : Getting to a big city

mrcharisma
October 25th, 2011, 10:22
As much as I'm loving my first year on JET, I'm fairly certain that I'll want to move on come the end of it as my placement is a little bit too rural and the prefectural social scene is a little bit too High School for me to get truly involved . My 20s are ticking down rapidly and so I want to try and get as much out of my time here as possible, rather than leave after a few years having spent it all in a pleasant yet dull prefecture.

Ideally I'd like to go to Osaka, Kobe or another similarly grubby urban sprawl, but have no idea how to get there. Will my year of JET experience make it easier to find employment in the bigger cities? Also, I take it getting similar working conditions and salary as JET provides is a bit of a pipe dream?

Tyr
October 25th, 2011, 18:03
Should do, I know interac hire people with experience from within Japan for their Tokyo placements.
And no, you will have to take a big salary drop and a huge drop in living and working conditions.

Eudox
October 25th, 2011, 18:29
Interac isn't a huge pay drop is it? I thought they were at 300k? Maybe I made that up.

As for living/working conditions, I'm sure this varies greatly (just like JET). Certainly, the interac folks in my area seem to have a similar gig to me - just for a bit less pay

Tyr
October 26th, 2011, 18:54
Pretty sure they're at 2.6 pre-tax.
Begins with a 2 anyway.
And...yeah, maybe ESID. Interac sure sounds awful and interac people I've met seem to have a bit of a rough time. Certainly though I don't trust such private companies, its in their interests to be dicks, they just want to make money afterall.

Jojo
October 26th, 2011, 22:45
Interac sure sounds awful and interac people I've met seem to have a bit of a rough time. Certainly though I don't trust such private companies, its in their interests to be dicks, they just want to make money afterall.
Real talk - 9 /10 times the people complaining are idiots that shouldn't have been hired anyway. The pay is less but i think they're a pretty decent* company to work for..

*idiots will not be treated decently

mrcharisma
October 27th, 2011, 15:58
I'm a bit wary of Interac, is that the same company I heard was run by very unscrupulous Mormons? It might have been another EFL company can't remember.

There's another programme called ECC which seems okay and not too different from JET, has anyone here heard anything about it?

Jojo
October 27th, 2011, 17:51
I'm a bit wary of Interac, is that the same company I heard was run by very unscrupulous Mormons? It might have been another EFL company can't remember.

There's another programme called ECC which seems okay and not too different from JET, has anyone here heard anything about it?
:rolleyes: