PDA

View Full Version : Saitama prefecture

frizbri
May 21st, 2004, 13:29
I found out this morning I will be in Koshigaya-shi in Saitama. Anyone else going to Saitama?

WuTAN
May 25th, 2004, 07:58
I'm located in Saitama-ken too, though I don't know the exact area!

pepperphd
June 17th, 2004, 10:46
I'm actually in Gunma-ken, but my town is located right along the Gunma/Saitama border, so I imagine I'll be living closer to some of you than I am to my own co-prefectureans (not that that's a word, but you know what I mean). :)

hope everyone's preparations are going smoothly!
Daniel

weens
June 23rd, 2004, 10:50
i think i'll be in Omiya....
haven't heard from the pred yet...
i hate the waiting game!

WuTAN
June 23rd, 2004, 18:00
I'll be living in Saitama City, near Urawa. My visit school is in Omiya, maybe I'll run into you weens! My base school is in Kawaguchi. I'm 25 minutes from Tokyo by train, so I'm very happy!

weens
June 23rd, 2004, 21:14
yay wutan!!! we can be friends!!!
finally, i'll have a friend!!! lol...

just wish my pred would contact me, what have you heard about start up costs on the apartments?!

WuTAN
June 23rd, 2004, 22:34
Hey weens,
My pred said that key money/rent deposit will likely be 200,000 yen! That's money I don't have right now, I just emailed him asking if the BoE will loan me the money...
Also my rent will be 60,000 yen, but I'll get a 28,000 yen subsidy, so it'll be around 32,000 yen, that's cheap compared with London rent prices.
I'll be in Omiya two days a week, I'm all up for linking you for drinks and what not. Your pred should contact you soon, current Saitama JETs have received their successor info now. My pred said that he and my supervisor have put together a fat info pack for me and I'll receive it sometime this week! I can't wait! ^_^

weens
June 28th, 2004, 16:24
wutan,

i heard about the 200,000 yen start up too and im in the same boat as you... i spoke to 2 ppl in saitama now and they said the BOE lent them the money and they paid it back over 2 installments from their pays.

My pred had my info about a friggin month ago and she still hasn't contacted me!! I know who she is, but I don't have her email or anything. Her friends have told me that she has a friend staying atm so she's a bit busy... but i hate waiting!!

So do you have your address and everything like that?!?!

Petesmp
June 28th, 2004, 16:31
I have my address in Gyoda. I'll be paying like Y50,000 per/month for rent and Y25,000 for start up. Although I think these maybe typos because they said all I need to bring is Y10,000 and that's not enough to cover rent or start up. I hope that no extra 0's get added as typos on the rent or start up.

WuTAN
June 29th, 2004, 19:01
Pete, the figures you were given seem to be the going rate for apartments in Saitama, though your startup cost is much cheaper! My startup was quoted as "around 200,000 Yen" at first, but I know now that it'll be 80,000 Yen, with my rent being 32,000 Yen per month. I was asked to bring 100,000-150,000 Yen to cover the living costs of the first few weeks. I'm sure yours should have been quoted as 100,000, and not 10,000 because all JETs in Saitama get paid on the 21st of every month!

weens, yes I have been given my apartment address and I have been contacted by my predecessor, JTE and supervisor. I'm sure your pred will contact you soon, there is still a month to go so don't stress it!

Petesmp
June 30th, 2004, 14:07
Yeah I clarified things with my BOE. They meant Y100,000 not Y10,000. Good new though. I thought that my rent was Y50,000 and "start up" was like key money Y25,000. So I expected Y75,000. I find out after clarification and reading my contract that the BOE pays half of my rent and I am only responsible for Y25,000 a month. The "start up" money is basically just my first month of rent. Even though I thought Y50,000 was resonable, Y25,000 is a steal! I'm happy!

Petesmp
June 30th, 2004, 14:09
Wutan, my sister lived in Omiya for a year, she loved it and sait it was a very nice place to be. She was an exchange student with rotary.

weens
June 30th, 2004, 15:48
oh i am so jealous of you both, you and all your information!!\

i just heard that my pred has tried to email me twice but i haven't replied, hmmmm sounds suss... never the less, i will try to contact her somehow!

cross your fingers for me!!

and pete, good to hear Saitama is great plcae to live!! very happy to hear that!!

Nui
July 9th, 2004, 11:32
Hey!

I'm also heading to Saitama Pref in Koshigaya city. Just got an e-mail from my CO. I'm so excited right now to finally get more details from my CO.

Anyway, anyone going to Koshigaya city?

I'm from Seattle, WA. 22, female. Just graduated from University of Washington with a degree in Economics.

Love tennis, swimming, going to movies and hanging out.

Looking forward to meet all of you!

Nui

weens
July 13th, 2004, 12:55
Hey Nui, please be my friend!! lol :P

I am getting a new apartment and my school has told me that I dont have to pay *ANY* start up costs! Rent is about 60,000 a month, but with the BOE subsidy of 28,000 it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm all up for meeting up and stuff when we're there, it will be great to finally meet some new people!

frizbri
July 13th, 2004, 14:39
I'm also going to Koshigaya... 22, female from Adelaide Australia.
Guess I'll be seeing you at the Hilton Tokyo very soon...
Bri

Nui
July 13th, 2004, 15:49
Hey frizbri!!

Where are you going to be living?? My CO said that I will be at Presso Apartment.

looking forward to meet everyone soon. Can you believe we have 18 of us just in Koshigaya city???!

I'm looking forward to teaching elementary and junior high kids!! Should be fun! :)

Have you been contacted by your pred yet?? I haven't yet, but hopefully soon my pred will contact me.

Nui

Nui
July 13th, 2004, 15:50
Weens,

Sure, I will be your friend :D :lol:

See you soon,
Nui

frizbri
July 13th, 2004, 17:26
I haven't heard from my predecessor yet either :(
but I emailed the Board of Education today so hopefully I'll find out something soon, I don't know where I'm living...
Are you group A or B? I'm group A.
See you soon,
Bri

Nui
July 14th, 2004, 04:13
I'm in group A too.

Are you nervous yet? I'm sooo sooooo stress out about packing. So much stuff and so little space.

Nui

frizbri
July 14th, 2004, 10:42
Yes definitely nervous and getting more so every day... and packing just seems too hard so leaving it till next week. I think my parents will be sending a lot of stuff over!
Just got the email address of my predecessor so hopefully I'll know my address soon...
Bri

weens
July 15th, 2004, 15:25
Weens,

Sure, I will be your friend :D :lol:

See you soon,
Nui

I'll hold you to that!!! :lol:

Petesmp
July 16th, 2004, 15:05
Finally heard from my pred. Already sent me 2 emails and is very helpful. Also found out I'll be living next to another new JET, hope he/she is nice.