PDA

View Full Version : UK app is out boys and girls!

JET-setter
October 29th, 2011, 05:19
Finally it's out. Haven't had a look at it yet, but I haven't finished my TEFL course or my SOP. And I've been thinking about this application since June. So far not so good.

hunterofpeace
October 29th, 2011, 13:10
Ours goes live on Monday. Good luck UK applicants.

Tyr
October 29th, 2011, 20:56
As long as you should be finished the TEFL course by the time you leave they'll probally count the points for it.
Not that I believe it counts for too much. From what I hear its more the internationalisation than the teaching thing that they go for.
And I wasn't even sure I was applying for Jet until November iirc (maybe late October) when I was struck by a spell of 'oh what the heck, might as well give it a go'.

Good luck new folks.

Rage_and_Hairspray
October 29th, 2011, 22:10
Section 27: Please make sure you describe ALL your international/intercultural experiences, whether they be formal or informal (e.g. holiday). We strongly recommend that you enter details of all your experiences and situations you have encountered

I am in serious trouble of writing multiple pages here, practically another SOP's worth of stuff. Any idea what's a good amount to write for this?

VonD
October 29th, 2011, 23:45
As long as you should be finished the TEFL course by the time you leave they'll probally count the points for it.
Not that I believe it counts for too much. From what I hear its more the internationalisation than the teaching thing that they go for.
And I wasn't even sure I was applying for Jet until November iirc (maybe late October) when I was struck by a spell of 'oh what the heck, might as well give it a go'.

Good luck new folks.

They actually ask if you have a TEFL qualification in a drop box, I dont remember that last year ?

dvae
October 29th, 2011, 23:51
Finally it's out. Haven't had a look at it yet, but I haven't finished my TEFL course or my SOP. And I've been thinking about this application since June. So far not so good.

I haven't finished my TEFL course either yet. Which section are you mentioning your course in?

I'm putting mine in the Teacher Training section of Question 26, but as it's an online course it doesn't have Dates, Hours/Week, and as I've not completed it yet I don't have anything to put in the Grade section other than 'Not yet completed' or 'N/A'. I don't have any certification to provide either, so I'm unsure about how they'll take it

Also, is anybody else mentioning watching Japanese cinema / reading Japanese literature as an example in Question 30 - Study of Japanese history / culture / language?

And I'm assuming for Question 32 about other languages, you won't need to put English and 5's for everything...

VonD
October 30th, 2011, 00:05
I haven't finished my TEFL course either yet. Which section are you mentioning your course in?

I'm putting mine in the Teacher Training section of Question 26, but as it's an online course it doesn't have Dates, Hours/Week, and as I've not completed it yet I don't have anything to put in the Grade section other than 'Not yet completed' or 'N/A'. I don't have any certification to provide either, so I'm unsure about how they'll take it

Also, is anybody else mentioning watching Japanese cinema / reading Japanese literature as an example in Question 30 - Study of Japanese history / culture / language?

And I'm assuming for Question 32 about other languages, you won't need to put English and 5's for everything...

ive mentioned my TEFL in the same section (im almost finished but it takes 4 weeks for cert to come through).

For the dates I put when I started August 2011 - November 2011, for hours/ weeks I put 120 hours total.

In Q.30 ive mentioned several books I have read on Japanese history but they are academic in nature, (by Prof. Steve Turnball, if anyone watched bringing Samurai back to life on CH4 awhile ago he was on that) and I also mentioned Learning to Bow which is about JET but is not an academic read.

i recon you'd be fine mentioning films as long as they were not anime/manga in origin and putting it down as culture IMO.

dvae
October 30th, 2011, 00:11
ive mentioned my TEFL in the same section (im almost finished but it takes 4 weeks for cert to come through).

For the dates I put when I started August 2011 - November 2011, for hours/ weeks I put 120 hours total.

In Q.30 ive mentioned several books I have read on Japanese history but they are academic in nature, (by Prof. Steve Turnball, if anyone watched bringing Samurai back to life on CH4 awhile ago he was on that) and I also mentioned Learning to Bow which is about JET but is not an academic read.

i recon you'd be fine mentioning films as long as they were not anime/manga in origin and putting it down as culture IMO.

That sounds good. The films aren't anime so I think I'll be okay with them.

I think with my degree classification I'm going to put it under Other. The official course name was just BA English, but more Humanities than Languages and not solely Literature or Linguistics. More of a mix of the two.

Do you think I'd be okay requestion an Urban placement, but not putting any specific city/prefecture? I might not even bother requesting anywhere. I'd honestly be happy wherever I'm placed.

VonD
October 30th, 2011, 00:31
That sounds good. The films aren't anime so I think I'll be okay with them.

I think with my degree classification I'm going to put it under Other. The official course name was just BA English, but more Humanities than Languages and not solely Literature or Linguistics. More of a mix of the two.

Do you think I'd be okay requestion an Urban placement, but not putting any specific city/prefecture? I might not even bother requesting anywhere. I'd honestly be happy wherever I'm placed.

Honestly if the official name was BA English and thats how it appears on your certificate put that, they'll be able to see from your transcript what you did and didnt do.

My degree is American Studies And History. Ive had to put the American Studies bit under other on my major because it wasn't in the drop down box, however I selected History in the minor because it was available.

In my American Studies classes I dd History, IR, Foreign Policy, Civil Rights and this wasn't just the USA it was also Latin America as well and my separate history classes focused on European History over the last 400 years, although the degree title is vague its the transcripts that let them know exactly how you focused your degree, so IMO just use the drop down option instead of putting it under other :)

I think placement is just a matter of preference, just make sure you can back up why you wanna go somewhere in particular.

uthinkimlost?
October 30th, 2011, 00:36
My degree is American Studies And History.

We all make bad choices.

VonD
October 30th, 2011, 00:39
We all make bad choices.

Yea not the greatest degree title in the world, but i enjoyed it and thats what counts . . . even if it isnt worth the paper its printed on haha.

VonD
October 30th, 2011, 03:56
Make sure you save as you go guys, I just made the mistake of leaving the page up whilst i did something else for 20mins or so, after filling out a large section, when i clicked save on my return it went to the login screen!

Kewne
October 30th, 2011, 06:24
They actually ask if you have a TEFL qualification in a drop box, I dont remember that last year ?

I don't know about last year, but it was on there two years ago. I remember because it has a weird requirement - it asks if you have a TEFL certificate, then says put yes if you have over 100 hours of TEFL training - the way it's phrased you don't need a tefl certificate to put yes if you've gone through the training, as well as that you need to say no if you've taken one that take less time.

atheistwithfaith
October 30th, 2011, 20:01

Naming anime and manga is fine!!

Tyr
October 30th, 2011, 20:06
Section 27: Please make sure you describe ALL your international/intercultural experiences, whether they be formal or informal (e.g. holiday). We strongly recommend that you enter details of all your experiences and situations you have encountered

I am in serious trouble of writing multiple pages here, practically another SOP's worth of stuff. Any idea what's a good amount to write for this?
I tried to fit it in the box, didn't stretch it too much.
Just like holidays to xxx,yyy,zzz.
Worked in aaa, as bbb, summer 2008.
etc....

VonD
October 30th, 2011, 23:02
Naming anime and manga is fine!!

I was merely giving my opinion and it clearly states that it is just that, wasn't trying to upset anyone.

Silhouette
October 31st, 2011, 06:46
Anybody found those online TEFL courses to be beneficial?

I feel like I should do one so that I'm keeping up with the Joneses, but I get the feeling they're not worth paying for.

VonD
October 31st, 2011, 07:16
Anybody found those online TEFL courses to be beneficial?

I feel like I should do one so that I'm keeping up with the Joneses, but I get the feeling they're not worth paying for.

Im personally enjoying mine and having a TEFL means if i don't get on JET again this year I have other options if I chose to go to somewhere like China instead.

It is informative and helps you brush up on grammar, phonology, etc etc and gives some teaching ideas and the like. For me personally its also reassured me that I'm not a complete idiot and could teach English lol.

Im doing the 120 hour one but Im glad i didnt pay full whack for it, I got it through Groupon as someone mentioned it to a few of us in a thread earlier on in the year and it only cost £60, I would certainly be upset however if I had paid the full £380 odd pound.

JET-setter
October 31st, 2011, 08:16
I'm with VonD. So not worth the full fee, but for £60 it's been great. Even if it doesn't make a huge difference to the JET Programme, it's done a lot for my confidence in a classroom environment if I do get the chance to go to Japan. I can't believe it would take them four weeks to get the certificate to us. That's crap!

dvae
November 1st, 2011, 05:28

I've decided to list all my family holidays in one box. List all the countries, then for the dates put - Summer 2000-2007 and something like 'Travelled widely across Europe over the years'.

Black Cat
November 2nd, 2011, 02:16
We all make bad choices.

Don't I know it.

@Atheistwithfaith - Troll much? Anime and manga are never okay. I hide mine in a closet and only bring them out after locking the doors and closing all my blinds. :lol:

tracey86
November 6th, 2011, 08:53
has anyone completed the application form yet? i've gone through it tonight, but when i got to the final page (how it will look when it's printed out), my list of japanese studies, years taken and the grades are a mess! i wrote them all out in neat lists, making sure the years and grades were on the corresponding lines, but on the final page, it takes all of my new lines out and they're just in a massive paragraph. how have people listed these to make them look a bit neater?

uthinkimlost?
November 6th, 2011, 09:41
has anyone completed the application form yet? i've gone through it tonight, but when i got to the final page (how it will look when it's printed out), my list of japanese studies, years taken and the grades are a mess! i wrote them all out in neat lists, making sure the years and grades were on the corresponding lines, but on the final page, it takes all of my new lines out and they're just in a massive paragraph. how have people listed these to make them look a bit neater?

Insert a marker between items. *, <>, |.

tracey86
November 6th, 2011, 10:08
Insert a marker between items. *, <>, |.

thanks, i've now done this... they seem to hate any form of use of a new line or the space bar so it's still looking a bit cluttered but nothing i can do about it- all the information is there i guess and that's what matters i suppose.

Kewne
November 7th, 2011, 22:08
Question for UK people regarding our Statement of Physician; what do they expect the doctor to write in the space circled with red in the picture?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/EdenSB/Med.png

My doctor's office seems confused about this, so could anyone who has done it already share some basic details?

uthinkimlost?
November 7th, 2011, 22:15
Question for UK people regarding our Statement of Physician; what do they expect the doctor to write in the space circled with red in the picture?

My doctor's office seems confused about this, so could anyone who has done it already share some basic details?

Will you need meds not listed elsewhere on the form?

Jenni
November 7th, 2011, 22:32

I have a similar question - does my doctor just need to write "Yes, XX can fulfil duties 1-7 listed" or does she have to also confirm what I've written in my self-assessment is true?

Kewne
November 7th, 2011, 22:53
Will you need meds not listed elsewhere on the form?

Nope. I won't need meds at all. Only thing on the (self-assessment) form are previous meds taken.

uthinkimlost?
November 7th, 2011, 22:53
Nope. I won't need meds at all. Only thing on the (self-assessment) form are previous meds taken.

Then it stays blank.

Kewne
November 7th, 2011, 22:59
So basically, the only thing they need to do is tick the box saying 'No' for meds, then fill in his contact details and signature?

uthinkimlost?
November 7th, 2011, 23:11
So basically, the only thing they need to do is tick the box saying 'No' for meds, then fill in his contact details and signature?

I'd say so. Ask a coord if ur unconvinced.

Kewne
November 7th, 2011, 23:13
It sounds about right looking at the form. I'm surprised it's so simple though.

VonD
November 8th, 2011, 13:06
if anyone was thinknig about doing a TEFL its back on groupon today.

82% Off at TEFL Express (http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/tefl-express/1481538)

Lianwen
November 8th, 2011, 13:35
[QUOTE=dvae;732037
Do you think I'd be okay requestion an Urban placement, but not putting any specific city/prefecture? I might not even bother requesting anywhere. I'd honestly be happy wherever I'm placed.[/QUOTE]

I did this. I put Urban Placement, but I did mark down what Blocks I wanted. For the record, I just wanted to be placed anywhere that wasn`t too hot or too cold, and so I chose Blocks in the center of Japan. Guess who got the last laugh? I`m in snow country >>. So, make sure that you will be honestly happy wherever you`re placed. I love my placement. I`m just freezing all the time now.

lexa1010
November 8th, 2011, 19:44
Is anyone trying the opposite game with jet placements?

melty
November 9th, 2011, 01:26
Good Luck UK Folks!!

tracey86
November 9th, 2011, 03:34
Is anyone trying the opposite game with jet placements?

I did think about it, but I'm not daring enough. Mainly because I know how my luck works and I'd end up on that island where the ALT had to wear a gas mask or something. I've requested a few prefectures but figure if I get a place they will probably just place me wherever (going on the fact that people who have reasons for specific placements/partners accompanying them etc will have priority), so I'm just going with the flow.

Kewne
November 9th, 2011, 09:05
I did think about it, but I'm not daring enough. Mainly because I know how my luck works and I'd end up on that island where the ALT had to wear a gas mask or something.

Island where a JET had to wear a gas mask? :confused:

Finally I'm done with my application (apart from an SAE). Will likely post it tomorrow.

Merkypie
November 9th, 2011, 11:06
guess they meant this guy: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:OP543zHkde0J:www.clair.or.jp/e/forum/pdf_222/jet.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShYbz03yCk8ilgaQKucOk1N0pBIBBwadXHv89X5vEStxwQCu_N6SBk_64bF3bi6QAvAvSyivvtTYo2KodAV8xygUoPfgE8OGbTr1cMAw-kLMFSw6s98f3nbp4qYEUBdIAB7-NzT&sig=AHIEtbQW4XgrIZGGWjI9rsFY0N5SAay_QQ&pli=1

tracey86
November 10th, 2011, 00:07
guess they meant this guy: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:OP543zHkde0J:www.clair.or.jp/e/forum/pdf_222/jet.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShYbz03yCk8ilgaQKucOk1N0pBIBBwadXHv89X5vEStxwQCu_N6SBk_64bF3bi6QAvAvSyivvtTYo2KodAV8xygUoPfgE8OGbTr1cMAw-kLMFSw6s98f3nbp4qYEUBdIAB7-NzT&sig=AHIEtbQW4XgrIZGGWjI9rsFY0N5SAay_QQ&pli=1

Haha yep that's the one... I rate the person who got it for making the most of it though- I don't even know what I'd do if I got that placement. Probably cry myself to sleep at night.

Kewne
November 10th, 2011, 00:10
Haha yep that's the one... I rate the person who got it for making the most of it though- I don't even know what I'd do if I got that placement. Probably cry myself to sleep at night.

Well, he did say he wanted rural and he got it. :lol: It must've been an interesting experience if nothing else.

Tyr
November 10th, 2011, 19:19
Wow, never seen that before. A gas mask, blimey/.

With placements- really, if you have decent reasons and aren't requesting somewhere obvious that everyone wants to go to you do have a good chance of being placed where you want. I was put right where I requested and a lot of other people got their placements too.

JET-setter
November 11th, 2011, 07:59
I'm kind of struggling with the teaching secton of the SOP. I don't have teaching experience so I have to answer the question of what I would do to motivate uninterested students and what methods and approaches I would use. I don't know how specific I should get in my answer. I also don't know how to answer this question without making it sound like I plan to take over the classroom when obviously our official job title is assistant language teacher. Any hints or pointers???

Lianwen
November 11th, 2011, 13:54
I'm kind of struggling with the teaching secton of the SOP. I don't have teaching experience so I have to answer the question of what I would do to motivate uninterested students and what methods and approaches I would use. I don't know how specific I should get in my answer. I also don't know how to answer this question without making it sound like I plan to take over the classroom when obviously our official job title is assistant language teacher. Any hints or pointers???

Word it like, `Working with the teacher, I would motivate students by.......`

Or, `We would do....`

or even, `Working with other teachers, I would .......`

You can throw the `We` pronoun in there to make it look like you won`t be taking the class over, or even acknowledge a team teaching activity for motivation.

I didn`t have to answer a question like that, but I hope this helps.

dvae
November 22nd, 2011, 04:20
Just finished putting my application together and going to post it out first thing tomorrow morning!

Silhouette
November 22nd, 2011, 06:38
Silly question but have you noticed how the deadline on the papers/checklist says January 2nd? What's that about?

armchairpatriot
November 22nd, 2011, 07:10
Was umming and aahing but may as well try this again. I read my statement from last year and by god was it painful! Even I wouldn't have accepted me! Writing a better and shorter one, plus I'll get my boss to look at it. He must have seen thousands so will know what works and what doesn't.

I'm kind of struggling with the teaching secton of the SOP. I don't have teaching experience so I have to answer the question of what I would do to motivate uninterested students and what methods and approaches I would use
I might stick in something about introducing them to British stories that have recently become popular worldwide (like Harry Potter) in the original language, giving them a deeper understanding of the unique cultural reference points within. Of course If I get an interview off that I'll then have to actually read Harry Potter but them's the breaks.

Or maybe that would be looking too big for my boots and I should just say "with flash cards that have pretty pictures on".

VonD
November 30th, 2011, 00:15
I got an email from JET Friday telling me I'd forget to include my original transcript and they wouldnt be able to take my app further without if they dont get it by the 2nd, doesnt do me alot of good when im in the US til the 7th. Lucky for me my mum got hold of one and sent it in for me.

I think its awesome JET do that instead of just throwing your app in the bin. Anyone else miss something in their app and get an email or am I this years only dumbass :D

Rage_and_Hairspray
November 30th, 2011, 00:45
I got my confirmation of receipt SAE through the post over the weekend, but not had an email to say I'd left bits out, so I either nailed it or they've binned my app while cackling maniacally.

VonD
November 30th, 2011, 01:52
I got my confirmation of receipt SAE through the post over the weekend, but not had an email to say I'd left bits out, so I either nailed it or they've binned my app while cackling maniacally.

Im sure you probably nailed it :D

Rage_and_Hairspray
November 30th, 2011, 01:55
Time will tell on that one, but I hope you're right!

VonD
December 9th, 2011, 07:00
So what are UK apps doing to pass the time? Anyone tearing their hair out because they cant stand the waiting even though its only been a week or 2 since the deadline closed :D.

dvae
December 9th, 2011, 07:03
Yeah the waiting is going to get frustrating... I'm just working retail at the moment and it's getting to be a nightmare with the run up to christmas. Keeping me busy though which takes my mind off wondering whether I'll land an interview or not.

VonD
December 9th, 2011, 07:55
Yeah the waiting is going to get frustrating... I'm just working retail at the moment and it's getting to be a nightmare with the run up to christmas. Keeping me busy though which takes my mind off wondering whether I'll land an interview or not.

ah lucky well at least you have that until christmas! I say lucky . . . it must actually be a pain in the arse lol

i work security, its only 2 nights week (24hours total) at the moment, it was fine up until the deadline because I was working on my TEFL, App and SOP, now i feel totally lost for something to do!

This whole application process takes far to long. . .

VonD
January 12th, 2012, 22:31
Have any of the UK ITIL Applicants had an interview letter yet ?

VonD
January 12th, 2012, 22:57
I had a streak or paranoia earlier that JET might not have got the extra documents I sent on to them, so whilst asking if they received it I also took the opportunity to ask about the current status of applications, this is the response I got.

Thank you for your email.

We can confirm that we received your original academic transcript prior to the deadline given. Applications are currently in screening procedure. While postal notifications have begun to be sent, please be aware that they have not all been posted at this time. A maximum of 10 days notice will be given for candidates invited to interview. All applicants will be notified about their application result in writing either way by the end of February.

Hope this answers your query.

Ecureuil
January 12th, 2012, 23:02
One came through to my home address a couple of days ago :) I don't know of anyone else who has got one though so it looks like there's still a bit of a waiting for most people..

JET-setter
January 13th, 2012, 01:48
Thanks for posting that VonD. Nothing in the post for me but it's a relief to hear that they still haven't even looked at all the applications yet.

MJN
January 13th, 2012, 16:23
Guys, calm the beans. I know it's hard to wait and you're all eagerly anticipating things, but get your mind off it. Do something productive, focus on uni or your existing job, or whatever it is you do. You'll find time will pass so much faster.

lexa1010
January 14th, 2012, 23:02
Have a UK Jet meet up and get crunk!

VonD
January 16th, 2012, 14:46
Ahhh well its good to see at least a few ITIL UK Jet applicants are getting interviews!

MJN sound advice, easier said then put into practice though, especially when your a compulsive day dreamer :D

Lexa if your going to Japan in March youll have 9 solid months until the world ends, the Mayan calendar ends the 13th cycle on the 21st December haha :)

JET-setter
January 18th, 2012, 22:17
Nothing in the post today and no e-mail. Feeling that familiar defeatist slump...

VonD
January 18th, 2012, 23:17
Nothing in the post today and no e-mail. Feeling that familiar defeatist slump...

Same, I wish they posted on twitter whether or not they'd even finished processing applications, . .

Rage_and_Hairspray
January 19th, 2012, 00:04
They did on 10th Jan: UK JET Programme postal notifications are now being sent out to applicants and will continue to be sent up until late February.

JET-setter
January 19th, 2012, 00:08
They did on 10th Jan: UK JET Programme postal notifications are now being sent out to applicants and will continue to be sent up until late February.

That's what they said last year, but it doesn't mean anything (not to us still waiting anyway). It would be better if they said from a certain date that no one else was going to receive an interview. It would put us out of misery.

Rage_and_Hairspray
January 19th, 2012, 00:14
I'm waiting too ;)

I agree it would be better to say "Hey look, if you don't hear by X then you didn't make the cut", but then that's kinda what they've said when they said "until late February". For all we know they'll still be sending notifications of interviews in mid to late February.

What I would prefer would be for them to notify us/me if there's no chance of being interviewed upon going through our application. I understand they probably have a quota to hit, and not that many people to go through lots of lengthy apps, but if they find someone who's definitely a no-go they ought to let them know.

Then again, maybe they already do that, and us not immediately hearing that we've not been selected due to dropping the C-bomb twenty-eight times in one paragraph is a sign that we're all still in with a chance.

We've got about a month of waiting left, and no indication how far through the apps they've got. It's frustrating as hell, but we just have to MTFU.

lexa1010
January 19th, 2012, 09:17
Lexa if your going to Japan in March youll have 9 solid months until the world ends, the Mayan calendar ends the 13th cycle on the 21st December haha :)

Sweet! :cool:

Jiggit
January 19th, 2012, 09:18
I'm pretty sure you have to seriously fail to meet the requirements or come across as fairly crazy to not get to interview.

The reason they can't give out notifications to everyone sooner is that it takes a lot of time to confirm everything in Japan. It's not a case of "hey let's work out there's exactly 497 spots for UK ALTs this year and just take the 497 best ones!".

Organising employment for people all over the world to be employed by different organizations all over Japan takes time and is a very uncertain process. Circumstances change a lot and the reason they don't communicate exactly what's happening to you is probably that they don't know for certain what that is. A guy teaching here at the moment didn't get here till his predecessor disappeared out of the blue about 5 months into the school year.

It sucks for you guys but you just have to be patient and realise that they'll let you know as soon as they can.

uthinkimlost?
January 19th, 2012, 09:52
I'm pretty sure you have to seriously fail to meet the requirements or come across as fairly crazy to not get to interview.

I'm glad that you have taken up the Kalliea's mantle of N00b Tr0lling.

Now start spreading misinformation from 'reliable sources.'

Jiggit
January 19th, 2012, 10:09
I'm glad that you have taken up the Kalliea's mantle of N00b Tr0lling.

Now start spreading misinformation from 'reliable sources.'

I'm offended at your insinuations good sir.

Sakurahoshi
January 19th, 2012, 17:10

This, is bollocks.

If several thousand apply in the UK, and almost all of them have worthy applications that meet the requirements, then the embassy can't possibly interview them all can they? Due to time constraints, manpower etc. Tough decisions have to be made, meaning that some applications will be deemed as stronger than others, and they get the interview. That doesn't mean the ones that wern't as strong were 'fairly crazy' and 'failed to meet the requirements' does it?

Duh.

Eudox
January 19th, 2012, 17:19
This, is bollocks.

If several thousand apply in the UK, and almost all of them have worthy applications that meet the requirements, then the embassy can't possibly interview them all can they? Due to time constraints, manpower etc. Tough decisions have to be made, meaning that some applications will be deemed as stronger than others, and they get the interview. That doesn't mean the ones that wern't as strong were 'fairly crazy' and 'failed to meet the requirements' does it?

Duh.

I think I like this one.

Rage_and_Hairspray
January 19th, 2012, 17:32
A fat, obnoxious weeaboo I have the misfortune of being loosely acquainted with has informed me that they also applied and are waiting to hear back about interviews. If they get one and I don't then I may have to exsanguinate them. There'll probably be gravy everywhere.

I'm fairly confident I tick all the right boxes, just concerned that they'll read my declaration about tattoos on the medical form and chuck my app in the "LOLZ gutted" bin.

uthinkimlost?
January 19th, 2012, 18:11
A fat, obnoxious weeaboo I have the misfortune of being loosely acquainted with has informed me that they also applied and are waiting to hear back about interviews. If they get one and I don't then I may have to exsanguinate them. There'll probably be gravy everywhere.

I'm fairly confident I tick all the right boxes, just concerned that they'll read my declaration about tattoos on the medical form and chuck my app in the "LOLZ gutted" bin.

I would say that's my concern as well.

Rage_and_Hairspray
January 19th, 2012, 18:16
You mean you would say it if you were at all concerned?

uthinkimlost?
January 19th, 2012, 18:25
You mean you would say it if you were at all concerned?

Nah, I'm mildly rooting for you.

Mildly.

Rage_and_Hairspray
January 19th, 2012, 18:28
That's more than I expected, so thanks for that.

Jiggit
January 19th, 2012, 18:37
This, is bollocks.

Duh.

I think you're overestimating the calibre of people who apply.

Rage_and_Hairspray
January 19th, 2012, 18:47
I won't let this minor victory go to my head.

MJN
January 19th, 2012, 19:35

I think it only appears this way because some basement-dwelling mouthbreathers clean themselves up for the interview and buffet the truth so much in the application, then let themselves slip the moment they've passed.

There's nothing worse than a moderately intelligent neckbeard, thankfully a rare breed.

bananallanah
January 19th, 2012, 20:55
I would say that's my concern as well.

Ditto. I was reading on another thread that last year a successful applicant from NZ got on the plane all cosplay'd up. If i had to sit next to that on a plane for 12hrs, let alone sitting there knowing they beat out other potentials, rest assured they'd be in for a swift kick to the pikachu.

lexa1010
January 19th, 2012, 21:30
I can't help hoping he was cosplaying as card captor Sakura...

hunterofpeace
January 20th, 2012, 04:33
*Some of you seem to stand good chances but aren't amusing enough to get positive reinforcement.

That's kind, actually.

I, for one, am boring as fvck.

Teishou
January 20th, 2012, 05:03
That's kind, actually.

I, for one, am boring as fvck.

Nah, you have Vash as an avatar. Someone with that kind of avatar is never boring.

Anyway..

CHEER FOR ME, TOO, PEEPS. I NEEDS IT MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE. *goes to play Uncharted: Drake's Fortune*

bananallanah
January 20th, 2012, 06:40
I can't help hoping he was cosplaying as card captor Sakura...

In that case...a swift kick to the Kero

Silhouette
January 20th, 2012, 19:42
weebos, the lot of you

bananallanah
January 20th, 2012, 20:14
Hahaha basically my only anime knowledge comes from cartoons I watched as a kid

lexa1010
January 21st, 2012, 00:21
I've been trying to find a pic of a man dressed as card captor Sakura for so long (5 minutes) and have found NOTHING!!!

Ainigi
January 21st, 2012, 06:01
I've been trying to find a pic of a man dressed as card captor Sakura for so long (5 minutes) and have found NOTHING!!!

you lucky lucky person... I can't get the image out of my head. ;_;

bananallanah
January 21st, 2012, 07:03

http://www.nupxl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Cosplay-Fails-black-sakura.jpg

boolean searches bitches.

alutemu
January 21st, 2012, 10:40
http://www.nupxl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Cosplay-Fails-black-sakura.jpg

boolean searches bitches.

That made me snort-chuckle.

lexa1010
January 21st, 2012, 20:15
Yes! Genius!

melty
January 26th, 2012, 19:29
While you UK folks are bored and waiting to find out about interviews...would you like to help me? *pretty please with a cherry on top*

Have a look at the following websites, choose the one you like best and vote for it. These are all Japan related websites made by UK schools...
Japan Webpage Contest For Schools (http://www.japanwebpagecontest.org.uk/vote2011.php)

I hope you like them :)

lexa1010
January 27th, 2012, 02:33
Haha I totally voted for the catholic one because... Go catholic upbringing! *feels guilty for not looking at all the sites* ;_;

Fabrune
January 27th, 2012, 07:27
I voted!

melty
January 27th, 2012, 21:36
Thank yooou! It's quite a nice way to waste time innit :)

I chatted to some of the sweeties from the JETdesk last night. They've only just started interviews...so some of you still have a couple of weeks to wait before you get letters.

lemsip
January 27th, 2012, 22:21
I'm an Edinburgh applicant, and I'm pretty sure if I had made it to the interview stage I would have heard by now.... Really thought I had a good shot? According to some statistic-bashing by someone on the official forum, if you didn't get a letter by the end of January last year you didn't get an interview. I'm still hoping of course, but it's fading day by day.

Sakurahoshi
January 27th, 2012, 23:33
I'm an Edinburgh applicant, and I'm pretty sure if I had made it to the interview stage I would have heard by now.... Really thought I had a good shot? According to some statistic-bashing by someone on the official forum, if you didn't get a letter by the end of January last year you didn't get an interview. I'm still hoping of course, but it's fading day by day.

I suspect you're referring to my post of analysing last year's interview thread. Well that's what happened last year but so far this year isn't following the same pattern. The interview letters have already been coming out longer than last year's time frame in which they came out in, plus the Edinburgh interviews are already into 2 weeks long whereas last year I'm pretty sure it was only 1 week. There are still so many people waiting for letters, I'm sure more are to come. :)

Big Innes
January 27th, 2012, 23:42
I suspect you're referring to my post of analysing last year's interview thread. Well that's what happened last year but so far this year isn't following the same pattern. The interview letters have already been coming out longer than last year's time frame in which they came out in, plus the Edinburgh interviews are already into 2 weeks long whereas last year I'm pretty sure it was only 1 week. There are still so many people waiting for letters, I'm sure more are to come. :)

I would not hold out too much hope though. I have seen Edinburgh people receiving interviews for the 30th, 31st, 1st, 2nd and 6th. That's still the standard five days albeit running Monday - Thursday plus the following Monday as opposed to the traditional Mon - Fri. I may be wrong though, I sincerely hope I am, but I fear the worst.

I just wan't to get an answer either way pronto so I can start planning this coming year.

lemsip
January 27th, 2012, 23:49
Yes, and the fact that they usually give you 10 days' notice means if we don't get post tomorrow it's unlikely.

Trying to remain positive though! :/

lemsip
January 28th, 2012, 21:04
I really do think it's game over now for any Edinburgh applicants :(

VonD
January 28th, 2012, 21:43
I really do think it's game over now for any Edinburgh applicants :(

Don't get upset by it, I raged something awful when I didn't get accepted last year, it didn't do me any good lol.

It's fine to be disappointed, but hold off until the actual letter comes, mourn for a day, then look at other options.

If you've got your sights firmly set on Japan, apply with Interac.

Or you can find plenty of other options for different countries in Asia and Europe on Dave's ESL Cafe, some will even pay for your flights etc.

I have a friend that found a job on a similar site and has just come back from S. Korea after 12 months, they payed him a wage to live comfortably on, provided accommodation, his flights, and a 1 months salary bonus when he finished his contract!

But obviously check out who your applying to work with :)

Or you could go work in America over the summer with Camp America | Summer Jobs in America Since 1969 (http://www.campamerica.co.uk) as a camp counsellor.

I've just applied with Camp America and for a few teaching jobs in Thailand. You can always apply for JET again next year :D

lemsip
January 28th, 2012, 21:58
Cheers man. Yes I've applied for Interac. Unfortunately they say that for an April start I would need a driving licence (which I don't have) so if I do go with them it looks like I'll have to wait until August. I was happy doing that with JET, but not sure if Interac is actually worth the wait. I might apply to some private schools, but that has risks in itself in case the school turns out to be balls. Decisions decisions...

dvae
January 29th, 2012, 00:27
So my letter through the post about the interview said that it should only last for around 20 minutes. That came as quite a surprise. They did say that there would be an English grammar test beforehand as well, but it seems an awfully short amount of time for such an important interview.

I guess with having so many applicants to get through they can't spend too long with each person so you have to really nail it and get your first impressions spot on.

Do any current UK JET's by any chance remember what sort of questions you were asked? I'm thinking they might ask for a quick sample lesson or presentation of some grammar form as well as some Japanese proficiency.

lexa1010
January 29th, 2012, 01:58
Have you checked out youtube, I know I've seen some Jet Interview questions on there for sure.

And to lemsip, go for Interac dude and try some on Gaijinpot! Can't hurt, I applied for three or four different schools/Eikawas before I got a secure answer. I did get another interview for a school in Niigata but they were unsure and only offered me the job months and months after with hardly any contact so it made me nervous! That's just my experience.

Big Innes
January 29th, 2012, 07:29
I have just applied for Interac. I do have a driving licence so hopefully I will be considered for Spring 2012 departure if I am accepted.

Doodlebug
January 30th, 2012, 02:41
Just realised i spelt my postcode wrong............... ahhhhhhhhhhhh

melty
January 30th, 2012, 22:03
So my letter through the post about the interview said that it should only last for around 20 minutes. That came as quite a surprise. They did say that there would be an English grammar test beforehand as well, but it seems an awfully short amount of time for such an important interview.

Yep. It was only 20mins back in 2006 as well. You'll be in the Embassy for longer than that though. You get a few minutes for the grammar test, then time to chat to the ex-JETs who guide you around the Embassy.

You (normally) won't get a chance to ask questions in the main interview, but it's worth thinking of some to ask the ex-JETs. It's your chance to show you are chatty/interested. :)

There used to be a looong list of interview questions as a sticky here. Where did it go?

Silhouette
January 31st, 2012, 02:38
Today was my last designated 'still have a chance' day. I received a letter, but sadly not from JET. I guess now I'll either go with Interac or just go to Oz for a year and learn to surf. Congrats to all who got an interview, good luck and enjoy Japan!

lexa1010
January 31st, 2012, 20:35
Man hardly anyone got an interview! Well done to those who did and those who put all the hard work into the application xxx

Rage_and_Hairspray
January 31st, 2012, 20:43
I just called up the JET desk to see if they'd be able to tell me if they're still handing out interview notifications. They said that they were, but the cynic in me still isn't sure.

VonD
January 31st, 2012, 22:28
*Puts down phone*

Jet Desk Employee 1 : Another one asking if were still handing out interviews ?
Jet Desk Employee 2: *sigh* Yea, thats my 14th one this morning !
Jet Desk Employee 1: You tell them all the interview spots had gone ?
Jet Desk Employee 2: Naaah, they still sounded hopeful so I told them were still sending out interviews. . . LOL!!
Jet Desk Employee 1: LOL! they'll probably continue to drive themselves crazy until next week when they get that rejection letter =P
Jet Desk Employee 2: REJECTED BITCH ! Lol! You want another beer . . . .?

(WARNING: The Above May Not Have Ever Happened)

Rage_and_Hairspray
January 31st, 2012, 22:46
Maybe not word-for-word, but I wouldn't be surprised ;)

lemsip
January 31st, 2012, 23:01
Haha yeah, I'd say there's no chance now. Like properly no chance.

Silhouette
February 1st, 2012, 05:13
People still getting London interviews on the official forum. Few more days of misery yet!

JET-setter
February 1st, 2012, 05:51
This really sucks. I thought my application was so much better this year. It at least deserved an interview. The loser in me is going to try again next year too.

frankly_$ick
February 2nd, 2012, 10:27
Been accepted for interview. The e-mail said the interview would be 20 minutes or so, but the letter says FORTY or FORTY-FIVE fml

uthinkimlost?
February 2nd, 2012, 13:34
Been accepted for interview. The e-mail said the interview would be 20 minutes or so, but the letter says FORTY or FORTY-FIVE fml

That is because odds are you will be taken back late or that they will still be reviewing your app when you arrive. (At my US interview I sat for two-three minutes as they read my SOP.)

frankly_$ick
February 2nd, 2012, 18:49
Let's hope so. Weird that it says 20 everywhere else though. It seems to be referring to the interview proper, becuase it mentions later that it may take even longer. Do all the other UK mandem have the same thing written?

lexa1010
February 2nd, 2012, 22:12
Well done anyway! Nice to hear people are still hearing back

lemsip
February 3rd, 2012, 00:40
Let's hope so. Weird that it says 20 everywhere else though. It seems to be referring to the interview proper, becuase it mentions later that it may take even longer. Do all the other UK mandem have the same thing written?

Good luck man. Plenty of places to bring the bass in Japan, wom wom wom.
Baconhead - Wookie - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ymNHYz--A)

frankly_$ick
February 3rd, 2012, 01:32
Good luck man. Plenty of places to bring the bass in Japan, wom wom wom.
Baconhead - Wookie - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ymNHYz--A)

What about the Fuueihou tho? When I was there in 2010 it was still bless but I'm a bit worried now. I played Triangle in Osaka in 2011 but when I checked it a few days ago it it's got some new rules including no DANCING on the BLOODCLART DANCEFLOOR wtf lol. Think a couple of Kyoto clubs shut down as well... bad times.

frankly_$ick
February 3rd, 2012, 01:33
Yeah check it out here! Mad
TRIANGLE (http://www.triangle-osaka.jp/)

Thx btw, and thx Lexa!!! Time to immerse myself in Japanese.

lemsip
February 3rd, 2012, 02:06
There's a ban on dancing?? Have I read you right there?? My god, that's weird.
I remember seeing Squarepusher/Luke Vibert in Tokyo in 2004 and it was mental haha.

Good luck with JET man, I might add you on twitter cos it seems you're into the same kinda stuff as me. I did JET in 2003/04 and hoped to get back on this year but didn't get an interview. But I'll be back to Japan this year one way or another so would be good to keep in touch. I grew up with Rephlex, but at the minute I'm Ioving the whole EXIT/Autonomic sound. I dump tunes here now and again: http://joostay.tumblr.com/

Good luck to everyone interviewing!

frankly_$ick
February 3rd, 2012, 03:54
Oh shit definitely do - I started out with warp as well - I have a picture of me where I'm about 13 yrs old holding a Luke Vibert album (peak!). I saw the Royal Philharmonic perform Squarepusher in 2003/04 can't remember... good times. I was fully on the Exit / Autonomic sound while in Japan, mek me wanna cry whenever I heard Dbridge tunes now looool. Will keep u posted how the interview goes anyway, hit me up on twitter!

Muffles
February 3rd, 2012, 15:14
congrats to everyone who got an interview and sorry to those who didn't!

melty
February 3rd, 2012, 19:59

I think the main interview is normally 20mins...but you might be in the embassy for 40-45mins. You'll probably have to wait while the person in front of you finishes...and you have time to watch a cheesy dvd about JET/Chat to ex-JETs in the waiting room, and do your grammar/spelling test.

That time will go really fast. You'll be fine :)

frankly_$ick
February 3rd, 2012, 20:27
It's weird though cause my letter specifically states that the interview is 40-45 minutes and goes on to say that I could be in the embassy for longer (chatting to JETs, waiting etc.). If it said 20 but I could be in there longer (ie. 40-45 mins) I'd understand, but it definitely seems to be saying the interview proper is 40-45 mins. OH WELL I'm sure it's just a typo or smth. They definitely aren't getting 40-45 minutes of platinum banter out of me in any case. (Without modafinil)

Who else here is applying CIR?

Rickithly
February 4th, 2012, 07:35
I still have not heard anything, so I am assuming I have not got an interview. Good luck to all those who did and I hope you all get to go to Japan :)

lemsip
February 7th, 2012, 22:34
The fun continues. From the UK JET twitter.

While interview notifications have begun to be sent, please be aware that they have not all been posted at this time.

We advise UK applicants to be wary of the information available on the JET forums as it may not apply specifically to the UK JET Programme.

Rage_and_Hairspray
February 7th, 2012, 22:53
They really are very good at torturing us...

Rage_and_Hairspray
February 7th, 2012, 23:06
Whilst I've had my bumps, my spirit remains intact. And angry.

uthinkimlost?
February 7th, 2012, 23:16
Not sure that will help with the interview.

Rage_and_Hairspray
February 7th, 2012, 23:29
Whilst I don't have one it cannot hurt.

CDLG
February 8th, 2012, 04:33
Just as I was about to start on my 2013 personal statement, too.

Keep cool, everyone.

JET-setter
February 8th, 2012, 07:09
Just as I was about to start on my 2013 personal statement, too.

Keep cool, everyone.

Same.

VonD
February 10th, 2012, 22:47
My Rejection letter came this morning,

Im done with trying to apply for JET now, 2 years of rejection and I tried damn hard this year. Its either my grade or my tattoos.

Bah, oh well, best get on with real life now I suppose.

Good Luck to everyone that made it to interview, I wish you all the best :D

Rickithly
February 10th, 2012, 22:56
I am sorry to hear that. At least the agonising wait is over for you?

I still have not heard anything at all from them. I still have a tiny hope I will get an interview, though I doubt it very much.

Are you going to try for any other programmes at all?

VonD
February 10th, 2012, 23:25
Not really any programmes, Im applying for Camp America that should be quite entertaining if i get accepted.

But ive been thinking of applying to go back to uni to become a teacher. So im gonna try for that, Good luck with your app

Rickithly
February 10th, 2012, 23:27
My aunt did Camp America some time in the 90's and loved it. :)

That is not a bad idea; I am also looking into teaching. Luckily, my Dad teaches and has got me some volunteering for May.

Good luck with Camp America! :D I hope you get it!

JET-setter
February 11th, 2012, 00:03
Sorry to hear that VonD. I got my rejection letter today too. Good luck with Camp America and teaching. I'm sure you'll do great. I'm going to try doing volunteer work this year (something which was previously impossible for me to do being full-time mum). Maybe I'll try getting TEFL teaching experience too. Anyway, all the best to ya.

Rickithly
February 11th, 2012, 00:12
Sorry to hear you got a rejection letter, Jet-setter. Good luck with your volunteering work though! :)

Rage_and_Hairspray
February 11th, 2012, 00:43
Got my rejection letter too.

Silhouette
February 11th, 2012, 00:53
Commiserations, but at least they're being sent out now!

I expect mine will arrive shortly.

lemsip
February 11th, 2012, 01:43
Yes, I got mine too. But don't be disheartened if you really have your heart set on Japan. Jobs are out there, you just need to apply apply apply through gaijinpot, eslcafe etc. But it just means you won't be able to save any money like you can with JET.

Merkypie
February 11th, 2012, 03:46
Aww, that sucks guys :( I was pretty sure you were gonna get it too from lurking your posts. There are other tickets to Japan, JET isn't the only one if you're really determined!

Good luck guys :(

hunterofpeace
February 11th, 2012, 04:50
Man, I'm sorry guys. Many of you seemed really cool too. I was really expecting to Rage_and_Hairspray among the interviewees. I wish all you the best of luck though.

CDLG
February 11th, 2012, 07:31
JET seems to have gone on a rejection spree, as I got mine today as well. No reason to get disheartened. Remember that making the application, which is a fairly complicated one, is an achievement in itself. I know that I wrote a strong personal statement, and that unless I lied about my experience I couldn't have made it any better, so no regrets.

Rickithly
February 11th, 2012, 20:32
Got my rejection letter through this morning. I'm not as dissapointed as I thought, but I had already guessed it was not good news.

Good luck to everyone that got an interview! :)

Big Innes
February 11th, 2012, 22:51
Rejected here too. I realised this would be the case a couple of weeks back. I also have a seminar with Interac coming up so I am not too bothered.

lexa1010
February 12th, 2012, 00:04
Bleak times for the UK and Jet on this board...

Good luck with all your different ventures! I'm sure they'll be awesome :)

frankly_$ick
February 12th, 2012, 21:37
...CIR Interview... TOMORROW
Things are about to get PEAK

greengoo
February 13th, 2012, 15:35
Good luck...

lexa1010
February 13th, 2012, 22:12
Let us know the details!

Silhouette
February 14th, 2012, 02:30
Still not had my rejection, either it's lost in the post or they've forgotten about me. Hurry up already!

frankly_$ick
February 14th, 2012, 20:55
Let us know the details!

Yeah so I'm not really sure how that went - the interview was largely in Japanese, they asked a couple of questions in English as well.

I found the most awkward questions to answer were the ones about teaching because as I applied as a CIR I hadn't really bothered to prepare anything like that. I also failed to come up with a CIR event when asked (lol peak) I was just like sorry I can't think of anything now, but you dun know I've got loads of experience running events etc. NEXT QUESTION PLZ

I was asked a bit about politics etc. - this was a nice open question though, you could basically talk about what you wanted. I messed up some good questions like, why do you want to return to Japan? I'm convinced they want some fassy emotional answer about using my Japanese skills to further the greater good and deepen international relations etc. but all I could think of was I want work experience so I employable after JET... cold.

The tests, imo, were easy, there was only one Kanji I didn't get... that was 貢献 which I shoulda got. I clocked just the other day that the first kanji has a massive 'Kou' on top of it and the second one... I need to slap myself cause I've forgotten it a thousand times over. Biggest parr is that I was in a bookshop with a Japanese friend 30mins before and he pointed out 容疑者Xの献身 and I was THIS close |<-->| to asking him how to pronounce the 'Ken' character.... parrrrrrrrr

I studied Japanese at uni for four years though, including a year abroad mind, so I've been prepared for this sort of reading stuff. Like everyone's said, they then asked a few questions about the texts, a couple of bait find a fact ones, and a couple of probing, state your opinion ones.

3 interviewers, 2 were Japanese guys, one was a former JET girl. The 2 Japanese guys were fine tbh. One was a little scary. You can't really pass judgement in the time given haha. The girl was standardly nice and friendly.

Honestly doe. Swear I used to be loads more confident... found myself like awkwardly scratching my hand and avoiding eye contact to an extent (tho only at first) - I think my final year of hikikomori'ing in my room @uni studying ate away at my interpersonal skills somewhat... then this being pretty much the only thing I want to do right now... that's some pressure. I just hope it wasn't too obvious, cause I figure confidence is everything for that job.

Brb waiting for several months

frankly_$ick
February 14th, 2012, 21:01
Also they were like how would you explain the United Kingdom to kids...

YO

LOL

Totally forgot what the difference between Great Britain and the United Kingdom is

/CARE, WE'RE ALL FRIENDS HERE (I C U N. IRELAND)

Also I think all my answers to 'how would you teach X' were like, standard, just colour that shit in... colouring in ftw

lexa1010
February 14th, 2012, 22:51
Ah mate, despite all the little things it sounds like you did well! Allow that United Kingdom question though!

I hear you on the hikkokumori front, though I'm pretty sure you did really well! You have a right to be nervous, it's a big deal! But im sure they allow for some awkward behaviour! Well done for getting through it :)

armchairpatriot
February 15th, 2012, 00:44
Rejected too, but then again I'd stopped caring anyway.

Getting my chavtastic Mini back on the road this summer instead, gonna be great!

(By great I mean deafening and annoying when it breaks down all the time)

lexa1010
February 15th, 2012, 09:41
I always wanted a mini ;_;

Silhouette
February 18th, 2012, 00:38
Officially rejected finally. I think I'll only apply again if I decide to get a CELTA qualification, can't improve my app much otherwise. Well, apart from visiting J-land ofc.

Ah well, how the choice is between Australia, Hawaii or South America.

Ecureuil
April 5th, 2012, 00:38
so the official twitter feed says our interview results won't be before mid-April now (supposedly as word from Tokyo is late).

This wait really isn't healthy for any of us or for our degrees :|

ashley41430
April 5th, 2012, 10:30
Is it safe to assume that if the UK results are not until mid-April, it's the same for the US results? I would imagine Tokyo sends them all out around the same time, but I don't really know how it works for the different countries. Do they usually get announced at the same time? I know that the US Jet Program twitter hasn't said anything about a delay - they haven't updated since they mentioned that the list of applicants who made interviews was up.

So, in other words, will I have the same tingle of excitement, anticipation, and a little bit of dread that I've been having since 4/1 every single time I get notified of a new email or open my mailbox for another two weeks? LOL

flamingpriest
April 5th, 2012, 18:08
This wait really isn't healthy for any of us or for our degrees :|
I would have thought this limbo would be great for your degree though. I mean, there's nothing to distract you from coursework/exams, you don't have to deal with the paperwork and preperation of being shortlisted, etc. You should make the most of it!

Ecureuil
April 6th, 2012, 03:03
The wait certainly sucks, but how does it affect your degree?

I would have thought this limbo would be great for your degree though. I mean, there's nothing to distract you from coursework/exams

Ha.. I’m having trouble concentrating on the stuff I should be and suspect it has something to do with the whole 'Will I be living in Japan in four months..? Will I have to settle for something else..? (Will I find something else?) Are they planning on keeping me waiting like this for the rest of the month only to put me on the alternate list and have all this fun carry on into the summer..?' game.

I feel like I had it under control until the turn of the month but since then I was getting excited about an answer and I don’t think I’m the only one ready for a yes or no from JET right now (a yes would be super nice).

To be honest, worrying about this is quite comfortably winning the battle for my attention instead of both dissertation and revision. :rolleyes:

Teishou
April 6th, 2012, 05:47
S'okay, Squirrel. Everyone's right there with you.

Ecureuil
April 6th, 2012, 06:29
Cheers Teishou. Hope you guys don't have to wait this long too. Looking forward to us all being able to relax or at least be put out of our misery.
Also, I can't believe how quiet is is here with this approaching. Guess there's only so much to say about it all though and it is possible that whining like this doesn't achieve much either :p

Teishou
April 6th, 2012, 08:55
lol All the whining and ZOMG-I-MUST-KNOW-NOW are happening over at official. So. Calm and quiet here.

Prospective
April 6th, 2012, 17:39
I'm lurking and reading constantly, especially at official. But every over there is freaking out enough for me. Yeah I want my results... NOW. But posting isn't gonna make them come sooner. Angst-filled rants aren't going to help.

flamingpriest
April 7th, 2012, 02:31
You've been waiting for this moment for the past six months already, you can surely make it through the next week or two just fine http://serve.mysmiley.net/happy/happy0034.gif

bananallanah
April 7th, 2012, 07:36
Especially since once you know you're in you still have to wait 6-8weeks for placement, wait for pre-orientation get togethers, wait to catch the plane, wait at Tokyo Orientation before you go to your placement and then waitttt at your placement until teaching begins.

JET programme selection criteria: 'the patience is strong in this one'

Prospective
April 7th, 2012, 10:52
At least once I get in there's no second guessing myself, though. I know whether to plan for the next 3 months (then Japan) or if I need to come up with longer-term plans here.

Merkypie
April 7th, 2012, 16:13
Being shortlisted or rejected is the best two outcomes because there's an endgame. You know that you're either going to be in Japan in less than three month's time or sitting alone in your room for another year obsessing over why CLAIR didn't think you were good enough candidate for the program.

Alternate is the worst of the three, while some consider it a blessing in disguise, I think that the possibility that you may or not be upgraded is a more torturous fate than simply being rejected. You're no longer competing against your consulate, you're essentially competing against the entire nation. You're like the scraps, in a way. Your life is on hold because, with some minute chance, you'll be called to pack up and ship off to Tokyo.

At least being shortlisted, the wait isn't as bad. You know the end game, you're just waiting for the puzzle to be completed. At the end of the day, it's a known fact that sometime in July or August, you will be in Japan. The most mind numbing part to the wait gaming is just knowing, after the initial screening, if you've made it or not.

flamingpriest
April 8th, 2012, 00:17
You're no longer competing against your consulate, you're essentially competing against the entire nation.
I wouldn't call it competing at that stage though, since you're pretty much a number in a list as an alternate, and there's nothing you can do to put yourself ahead (or behind) anymore.

JET seems to produce an extremely excessive amount of alternates every year, it's pretty harsh.

Merkypie
April 8th, 2012, 00:51
Yeah, it is pretty much a numbered list.

But Miami Coordinator also said on the forums that if the BoE requests a certain type of applicant or if someone got their paperwork all in on time, then yeah, you're kind of competing against another applicant. Especially the longer you wait on that list, since apparently that's when the BoE's start getting pickier. Apparently.

flamingpriest
April 8th, 2012, 20:40
I see what you mean. Poor fellows.

wicket
April 8th, 2012, 21:43
Yeah, it is pretty much a numbered list.

But Miami Coordinator also said on the forums that if the BoE requests a certain type of applicant or if someone got their paperwork all in on time, then yeah, you're kind of competing against another applicant. Especially the longer you wait on that list, since apparently that's when the BoE's start getting pickier. Apparently.

There's also the argument that the longer in the process an applicant is an alternate, the longer the CO has to wait to confirm who their ALT is going to be... so therefore they may become LESS picky, rather than MORE picky.

And please remember to use "CO" rather than "BoE" as not all ALTs are actually employed by Boards of Education.

Jiggit
April 9th, 2012, 08:55
Alternate is the worst of the three, while some consider it a blessing in disguise, I think that the possibility that you may or not be upgraded is a more torturous fate than simply being rejected. You're no longer competing against your consulate, you're essentially competing against the entire nation. You're like the scraps, in a way. Your life is on hold because, with some minute chance, you'll be called to pack up and ship off to Tokyo.

In a way but I totally disagree with that last part. If you're put on alternate it's time for you to move on with your life for the time being and get a real job or do whatever else it was you would have done if you were rejected.

Holding out until you're absolutely certain there's utterly no chance of you getting a place is ridiculous. A guy I knew ended up coming to replace someone who freaked out and ran away home about 5 months into their contract, so he didn't end up coming over until more than half a year after he'd been placed on the alternate list. I mean he had a bar job he could easily ditch but don't place your life on hold for months on end just because you might possibly get on JET.

If you really think getting to Japan is the be all and end all of your existence you probably wouldn't survive long here anyway.

Merkypie
April 9th, 2012, 14:25
In a way but I totally disagree with that last part. If you're put on alternate it's time for you to move on with your life for the time being and get a real job or do whatever else it was you would have done if you were rejected.

Holding out until you're absolutely certain there's utterly no chance of you getting a place is ridiculous. A guy I knew ended up coming to replace someone who freaked out and ran away home about 5 months into their contract, so he didn't end up coming over until more than half a year after he'd been placed on the alternate list. I mean he had a bar job he could easily ditch but don't place your life on hold for months on end just because you might possibly get on JET.

If you really think getting to Japan is the be all and end all of your existence you probably wouldn't survive long here anyway.

Well, of course. If some bro wants to wait for Japan, then it's on them.

greengoo
April 9th, 2012, 14:26
Word. Lots and lots of alternates are upgraded even fast enough to leave with everyone else.... But don't be a dumb stick... I'd you don't get in, you better have a job lined up.

I don't get why people think jet is any different than any other job.

MJN
April 9th, 2012, 15:07

because its in majikal animu land

Tora
April 9th, 2012, 23:07
Word. Lots and lots of alternates are upgraded even fast enough to leave with everyone else.... But don't be a dumb stick... I'd you don't get in, you better have a job lined up.

True. I was upgraded exactly three weeks after the first results went out.

Because in Japan you don't have exactly the same problems you had wherever you came from.

Tora
April 9th, 2012, 23:37
Sure, there are problems unique to living in a place with a language/culture barrier, but people treat JET like it's some kind of magical special thing. Really it's just being recruited for a job, but people get lots of crazy ideas about behavior they think is acceptable or job/recruitment conditions that aren't true.

Of course, you get the new problems too. Plus whatever problems you had at home. Anyone who thinks Japan is going to be so much better for them than life back wherever (aside from actually getting paid) they have another thing coming. I've met a few people with severely unrealistic expectations of their time in Japan: "Oh, yea, I'm recontracting, unless I get discovered and become a pop star before summer."

As for job conditions ESID, but work is work.

PpJt
April 9th, 2012, 23:54
Well I decided I want to do JET for several reasons.

I've genuinely had a proper interest (not animu or mango based) in Japan since I was like 11.
It's an interesting prospect which actually has me interested in the work I'll be doing and doesn't completely fill me with dread at the thought, like the vast majority of grey little jobs I would otherwise be going for.
Living/Working abroad is something I've always wanted to do, and this ticks off several boxes at once.
And the fact the salary works out at around 26k a year, which imtotallyokwith.

From browsing official a bit it seems that many don't have as pragmatic a view as I do. Though if someone actually said that Tora, then it makes me worry about people. In general. I'd imagine heading out to Japan thinking it would be magical happyland would lead to massive disappointment and failure at life.

Jiggit
April 10th, 2012, 09:13
JET is a job not quite like any other. You're ridiculously overpaid and mollycoddled to do something you're not trained to do. Your responsibilities are generally pretty low and (compared to your coworkers) you are treated extremely leniently - certainly the expectations of you are not the same by a long shot. You have no real career progression. You won't get any decent references and you may even end up hurting yourself if you end up back home after 5 years with no real job experience compared to others in your age group.

I guess JET is a job, but it's not a career for the vast majority. If you have any plans to go somewhere in your life then it's probably best to let JET go and get on with it.

Cytrix
April 10th, 2012, 09:56
At least being shortlisted, the wait isn't as bad. You know the end game, you're just waiting for the puzzle to be completed. At the end of the day, it's a known fact that sometime in July or August, you will be in Japan. The most mind numbing part to the wait gaming is just knowing, after the initial screening, if you've made it or not.

Just remember that being shortlisted does not automatically mean you are going to Japan. Every year a small portion of people don't get places, even though they are shortlisted. It's a small amount but it does happen...hence why it's called 'shortlisted' not 'accepted'.

I waited until I was given a placement before I handed in my resignation, and that was cutting it fine (have to give two months notice as a teacher in NZ).

Gizmotech
April 10th, 2012, 10:08
Do your co-workers and supervisor(s) hate you or are you just being naive? I fully intend to walk away with a letter of rec in hand; I may not be able to list a reference since no one speaks English, but you're insane to let 1-5 years of employment go to waste on your resume, even if you do consider JET a "special" or useless job.

Agree, it's all in how you spin it later. One of my friends who's going home was trying to figure out what they did on JET and only looked at what they "actually" did while working. I turned it around on her resume into something which actually looked like the real job we're told it's supposed to be. A light bit of fluffing here and there and JET is a pretty bad ass awesome job to put on a resume. I'd also be surprised if you've been here for 2 or 3 years and didn't get a recommendation letter out of em (even if you write it and just get someone to sign it).

If you're an Alternate and have not been upgraded about a month or so after the shortlist goes out, move on with life. If you actually have something to move on to (ie a real big kids job) tell JET you're no longer interested. If you're just working at a bar serving tables or something while trying to find said big kids job, well if you feel like packing up your life on VERY short notice, stay on the alternate list.

Finally, if you get rejected, seriously consider your whole life before reapplying to JET. I do feel bad for those people who do multiple attempts at getting into JET who aren't actively trying to improve their chances or moving on with their lives.

Jiggit
April 10th, 2012, 10:10
Do your co-workers as supervisor(s) hate you or are you just being naive? I fully intend to walk away with a letter of rec in hand; I may not be able to list a reference since no one speaks English, but you're insane to let 1-5 years of employment go to waste on your resume, even if you do consider JET a "special" or useless job.

?

I said you wouldn't get any *decent* references and you've just said you probably won't get one at all. What's the problem?

Nowhere did I say you should pretend you didn't do anything at all, the point is that going on JET for 5 years vs pursuing your career directly straightaway is something to consider. I mean if you're not planning to do a job in teaching or in international relations then having been an ALT is probably not going to be as valuable as working at a full-time job in your own country. These are the things that someone who doesn't get shortlisted for JET needs to consider before deciding to wait it out, that's all I'm saying.

Of course there are a ton of variables and it all depends on how you spin it, but in many ways JET is a chunk of time out of your life that doesn't really leave you with any particular qualifications.

Gizmotech
April 10th, 2012, 10:14
?
Of course there are a ton of variables and it all depends on how you spin it, but in many ways JET is a chunk of time out of your life that doesn't really leave you with any particular qualifications.

Bullshit. Unless all your did for a year (or more) was stand around and read the words from the book, go home, wank all night, and then do it all over the next day, you did lots of varied work which can be used to enhance qualifications.

Edit: Though I will admit, I see no practical way to use JET to enhance a career in solo underwater basket weaving.

Jiggit
April 10th, 2012, 10:15
Since when does a letter written about my work performance not count for anything? My next job probably won't be able to call up my schools or BOE unless someone speaks J-go but that doesn't mean I'm going to walk away from this experience with no professional recommendation. Where I'm going, the letter counts way more than a name and phone number they may or may not call.

F#ck me, learn what words mean. I said you wouldn't get a decent one, not that you wouldn't get one at all, nor that it wouldn't count for anything. So comparatively a letter from your BoE is less valuable than one from a company in your own country.

Jiggit
April 10th, 2012, 10:17
you did lots of varied work which can be used to enhance qualifications.

it all depends on how you spin it.

Please try to understand words that are English.

Gizmotech
April 10th, 2012, 10:20
F#ck me, learn what words mean. I said you wouldn't get a decent one, not that you wouldn't get one at all, nor that it wouldn't count for anything. So comparatively a letter from your BoE is less valuable than one from a company in your own country.

I disagree with this statement. If you were hired at home to a big prestigious company which could provide such a letter, then you would be stupid to come on JET in the first place. Otherwise, you likely spend the first bit of time out of school asking if they want a vendi or a grande, then get an entry level job in an inferior company to where you don't want to work but is in your field... this leaves you with limited recommendations. The JET recommendation gives a unique spin, coming from a high end International Exchange program of over 20 years which is highly competitive. You worked in a foreign environment for a period of time (2-3 years seems okay... more seems odd unless you're going into EDU), you were involved in internationalization (*cough*bullshit*cough*), and then returned to be even more bad ass at home.

Jiggit
April 10th, 2012, 10:35
I disagree with this statement. If you were hired at home to a big prestigious company which could provide such a letter, then you would be stupid to come on JET in the first place. Otherwise, you likely spend the first bit of time out of school asking if they want a vendi or a grande, then get an entry level job in an inferior company to where you don't want to work but is in your field.

I'm going to GET a "decent" letter which will enhance my application to future jobs because it will mean more than my work at a coffee shop or my temp work at a carpet factory.

Of course there are a ton of variables

Jeez, I'm not trying to say that working on JET is worthless by any stretch of the imagination. Of course it demonstrates that you have a lot of skills and experiences and of course it's better than doing a meaningless service job.

The point is that if you are an applicant considering waiting for JET if you haven't been shortlisted or even if you've been rejected and are considering waiting a year to apply again, you need to seriously consider whether or not it is worth it. Going on JET places you in a unique position which may or may not be beneficial for your future career path. If you are considering on going somewhere in your life, whether you're working for a serious company or doing a job that require further training (as teaching would) or really any job with progression over time, getting your foot on the first step ladder may well be better than waiting for JET, which is in many regards a break from that progression.

yukinomonogatari
April 10th, 2012, 12:24
I was going to ignore this thread but I just can't watch people who have no clue what the job is going to be like argue like they've worked here for 10 years already. Jiggit is being a virtue of patience with you guys.

Let me tell you something about JET. If you are in the lucky 1% you will be working for a great school, with wonderful students, teaching them something meaningful, making a difference. If you are the rest of the 99% of the teachers you will be stuck in the sticks, teach assholes who walk around, read manga, sleep, and call you a big boob lady, or a "who are you?". The said assholes would be absolutely adorable outside of class, but will pretend like you are not there during class, no matter how hard you try and how wonderful your games, videos, and activities are. Your co-workers would be great or not so, just like everywhere in the world, but they will be shuffled every April, and your wonderful 5 years of work would not be remembered by anyone enough to write you a good letter of recommendation. Should you be lucky to work with the same person for all those years, you'd likely have to write your recommendation letter by yourself anyway, because praising someone and explaining their successes is simply not done here.
Don't even get me started on all the powerlessness you are going to experience, seeing the problems but not being able to make worthy changes...
You will be stuck in a job that's very difficult to leave, because it's so easy to do, and pays decently, and gives you security with all the resession going on around the world.

You guys better change your attitude and expect a lot of negative things happening no matter how well-travelled, smart, enthusiastic, etc. you are. And listen to what people with experience tell you an wonder why they say the things they say instead of jumping in to fight them. Otherwise you will have a very miserable time here.

If you want a good idea of what things are like in the real world that is like in Japan as an ALT (JET or not, same $*%#), go to one of the prefecture forums and read what people talk about. E.g. Mie JETs :: Index (http://www.miejets.org/forum).

Jiggit
April 10th, 2012, 13:00
Whilst I like being praised as much as the next person, I think this has all gotten a bit silly and confusing. I was only ever trying to make the point that prospective JETs who aren't shortlisted should seriously consider moving directly on to the rest of their lives. I guess I communicated that poorly. And I'm certainly not more experienced than RL.

Oh and for what it's worth I do think I have a decent job in a good school. My kids are bright and my coworkers are almost all friendly, helpful people. This was never meant to be a rant.

yukinomonogatari
April 10th, 2012, 13:05
I was going to ignore this thread but I just can't watch people who have no clue what the job is going to be like argue like they've worked here for 10 years already. Jiggit is being a virtue of patience with you guys.

Let me tell you something about JET. If you are in the lucky 1% you will be working for a great school, with wonderful students, teaching them something meaningful, making a difference. If you are the rest of the 99% of the teachers you will be stuck in the sticks, teach assholes who walk around, read manga, sleep, and call you a big boob lady, or a "who are you?". The said assholes would be absolutely adorable outside of class, but will pretend like you are not there during class, no matter how hard you try and how wonderful your games, videos, and activities are. Your co-workers would be great or not so, just like everywhere in the world, but they will be shuffled every April, and your wonderful 5 years of work would not be remembered by anyone enough to write you a good letter of recommendation. Should you be lucky to work with the same person for all those years, you'd likely have to write your recommendation letter by yourself anyway, because praising someone and explaining their successes is simply not done here.
Don't even get me started on all the powerlessness you are going to experience, seeing the problems but not being able to make worthy changes...
You will be stuck in a job that's very difficult to leave, because it's so easy to do, and pays decently, and gives you security with all the resession going on around the world.
You will definitely learn how to put up with a lot of crap... whether or not you learn something else is questionable, you may get more knowledge working in a ramen shop as an apprentice, because you'll learn a trade, get to see business practices in another country, enhance your Japanese, etc.

You guys better change your attitude and expect a lot of negative things happening no matter how well-travelled, smart, enthusiastic, etc. you are. And listen to what people with experience tell you an wonder why they say the things they say instead of jumping in to fight them. Otherwise you will have a very miserable time here.

If you want a good idea of what things are like in the real world that is like in Japan as an ALT, go to one of the prefecture forums and read what people talk about.

Gizmotech
April 10th, 2012, 13:07

Interesting claim. I have worked here for 8 months, renewed for year two, and Jiggit, RL, and I were having a civil, if not somewhat round about, discussion of the potential long term benefits of the JET programme on our resumes and on what non-shortlisters should do.

That being said, if you'd like to have a more involved version of your conversation, please feel free to join us in the lounge where I'm allowed to actually speak my mind in a less carebear restrained way. *glares evil at the mods*

Ini
April 10th, 2012, 13:10
If you have a bad experience on JET it's entirely your own fault. If you find your teachers treating you like crap it's probably due to the fact you've done nothing to change their opinion of you.

wicket
April 10th, 2012, 14:39
If you have a bad experience on JET it's entirely your own fault. If you find your teachers treating you like crap it's probably due to the fact you've done nothing to change their opinion of you.

you just meat loafed me, ini.

yukinomonogatari
April 10th, 2012, 14:55
Interesting claim. I have worked here for 8 months, renewed for year two, and Jiggit, RL, and I were having a civil, if not somewhat round about, discussion of the potential long term benefits of the JET programme on our resumes and on what non-shortlisters should do.

That being said, if you'd like to have a more involved version of your conversation, please feel free to join us in the lounge where I'm allowed to actually speak my mind in a less carebear restrained way. *glares evil at the mods*

Didn't realize you already worked here, my apologies. Good for you, maybe you are the lucky 1%. Or maybe you haven't been here long enough or don't speak the language well enough. I was super genki in my first year too, until I got to see what life here is really like, and what JET is all about. Living as an unattached foreigner, and in a big city, there are a lot of things that one can't see about the structure of this society.

As for being civil, I forgot this was the ITIL, the notions of "civil" are somewhat different and more lax then on other online forums I am used to, I shouldn't have gotten so excited and opinionated perhaps...

What thread are you referring to in the lounge (if there is one)?

yukinomonogatari
April 10th, 2012, 15:04
I'm not sure which people you're referring to but I can only assume you mean myself and Gizmotech. I am a current JET in my second year, planning to stay for a third, not a clueless applicant. I am not romanticizing my position here, but I am not so cynical as to think that I'm going to leave my post here without any skills, contacts or recommendations. Thank you, that is all.

Point taken, and apologies for assuming you were one of the applicants.
I'll go back to my prefectural forums, I shouldn't have commented anyway, I only came to see if the interview results were out or not.

Have fun, you guys, with your civil discussion.

Gizmotech
April 10th, 2012, 15:16
What thread are you referring to in the lounge (if there is one)?

I dunno. Minor rants usually aren't all that minor, and heck, nothing starts a good old fashioned forum fight like starting a thread called " G'D JET. Worst job of my life."

Prospective
April 10th, 2012, 16:00
Australians, like the UK, need to wait for the post before finding out our results, but US people are starting to have theirs trickle in.

>_< Only a couple more days.

atheistwithfaith
April 10th, 2012, 18:26
JET is a job not quite like any other. You're ridiculously overpaid and mollycoddled to do something you're not trained to do. Your responsibilities are generally pretty low and (compared to your coworkers) you are treated extremely leniently - certainly the expectations of you are not the same by a long shot. You have no real career progression. You won't get any decent references and you may even end up hurting yourself if you end up back home after 5 years with no real job experience compared to others in your age group.

I guess JET is a job, but it's not a career for the vast majority. If you have any plans to go somewhere in your life then it's probably best to let JET go and get on with it.

How does reference shiz normally work anyway? If you ask for one will they be completely confused, or do they have the same thing for Japaneses in Japan? I know that almost all things you apply for in the UK ask you for a letter of reference from your most recent employer and if you don't attach one they will probably throw out your application before they read the reasons why.

flamingpriest
April 10th, 2012, 21:41
The point is that if you are an applicant considering waiting for JET if you haven't been shortlisted or even if you've been rejected and are considering waiting a year to apply again, you need to seriously consider whether or not it is worth it.
I imagine most re-applicants don't just jizz away the year doing nothing. From what I've been hearing, a lot of people are also applying to other jobs as well as waiting for JET, so implying that we're just waiting around on-hold for October each year is kind of inaccurate, I think.

As a re-applicant-to-be, I wouldn't give up a good job offer here in favour of applying to JET. But considering how hard those are to come across, the skills I'm gaining while improving my application for this year will be useful even if I am rejected again. I definitely wouldn't apply a third time, though.

MJN
April 12th, 2012, 10:14
You get out JET what you make of it, really.

If you write on your CV you did nothing for 5 years bar staying to make money because your home country is a jobless market, well, that's not going to work. Chances are for a few that's the truth as it is, but certainly not what you'd write on a CV. I'm new here, still in my first year and have recontacted for a second so may yet still be sheltered against hardships to come, but that doesn't stop me thinking about what's happening to me in a few years time. If asked at an interview for a job at mcdonalds, you don't say "Because I want money and this is the best I can get." It may be the truth, but that matters little.

One thing I have worried about is that teachers rotate and thus so will my potential referees, but I'm already planning on getting around this by asking for a reference from some JTE's for future use before they leave next year, if they even do. It's also not the worst thing in the world to revisit a previous employer for a reference, so I don't see why a JTE leaving would kill your reference - simply visit them in their new school, or contact them someway and ask. I've also got my supervisor, who's worked at the BOE for 10 years now and doesn't seem to be leaving, so he's an ideal referee candidate for me.

To the folk entering JET, receiving their shortlist or whatever notifications: Congratulations. You'll come to Japan and the vast majority of the time, you'll enjoy yourself. You'll have days where you want to die, times you feel useless and unneeded, but that's what coming here to vent is for. It's completely up to you if you want to piss away your time not doing anything meaningful, though. You'll be surprised how meaningful you can make your time simply by asking; although this does admittedly strongly depend on schools and BOE/Employers. Some may be dicks and not let you use the photocopier without jumping through hoops, some may just sit in silence and seemingly let you get away with doing nothing, just waiting for the day you ask to do something but never wanted to say. This happened to me, I'm doing listening/speaking classes this year simply because I asked.

It's really not the end of the world if you don't get in. JET isn't a magical job that will secure you for life, it's just a very comfortable way to put off entering the real world for a few years.

MJN
April 12th, 2012, 10:14
double post

Merkypie
April 12th, 2012, 13:56
You get out JET what you make of it, really.

If you write on your CV you did nothing for 5 years bar staying to make money because your home country is a jobless market, well, that's not going to work. Chances are for a few that's the truth as it is, but certainly not what you'd write on a CV. I'm new here, still in my first year and have recontacted for a second so may yet still be sheltered against hardships to come, but that doesn't stop me thinking about what's happening to me in a few years time. If asked at an interview for a job at mcdonalds, you don't say "Because I want money and this is the best I can get." It may be the truth, but that matters little.

One thing I have worried about is that teachers rotate and thus so will my potential referees, but I'm already planning on getting around this by asking for a reference from some JTE's for future use before they leave next year, if they even do. It's also not the worst thing in the world to revisit a previous employer for a reference, so I don't see why a JTE leaving would kill your reference - simply visit them in their new school, or contact them someway and ask. I've also got my supervisor, who's worked at the BOE for 10 years now and doesn't seem to be leaving, so he's an ideal referee candidate for me.

To the folk entering JET, receiving their shortlist or whatever notifications: Congratulations. You'll come to Japan and the vast majority of the time, you'll enjoy yourself. You'll have days where you want to die, times you feel useless and unneeded, but that's what coming here to vent is for. It's completely up to you if you want to piss away your time not doing anything meaningful, though. You'll be surprised how meaningful you can make your time simply by asking; although this does admittedly strongly depend on schools and BOE/Employers. Some may be dicks and not let you use the photocopier without jumping through hoops, some may just sit in silence and seemingly let you get away with doing nothing, just waiting for the day you ask to do something but never wanted to say. This happened to me, I'm doing listening/speaking classes this year simply because I asked.

It's really not the end of the world if you don't get in. JET isn't a magical job that will secure you for life, it's just a very comfortable way to put off entering the real world for a few years.

Yeah, good post. :)

I still have my career to worry about and it's very skill specific. I definitely know that JET will not make or break my career, as my degree speciality is very flexible (I can go anywhere with it as long as there's a web/IT department), but references are references and I'll be sure to try and find a way to get them. I also will need to stay on top of the current coding trends in the mobile and browser world. Like I said, JET won't make or break me but it won't give me much time to code so I need to stay on top of that. When I do come back, I won't be one or two years behind.

A jobs a job, whatever I do on JET is going to reflect on me somehow... just like anywhere else.

Prospective
April 12th, 2012, 14:07
Yeah, a useful degree is still a useful degree. A Liberal Arts degree is still a Liberal Arts degree. JET will look better on a resume than a year at McDonalds, but it's not career progression, really.

Unless perhaps you want to work in international relations, teaching or using Japanese. IMO going on JET "aimlessly" one should really throw themselves into the language, so even if you come back with as few prospects as you went with at least you have a language in addition to your pre-JET skills.

miss_doitsu
April 12th, 2012, 20:03
Please try to understand words that are English.

Oh wow, I've been missing out by not coming in here.

I got a reference. A lot of people here are ex-JETs so my letter was really useful. I also translated a reference for a girl who left at the end of my first year. It was really nice about her and she was a pretty average JET. Unless you are lazy and a crap ALT then I'm sure they will write all good things.

frankly_$ick
April 16th, 2012, 03:19
Whagwarn then everyone, people have presumably got their rejections/acceptance/alternation letters? Think I'm the only person yet to hear anything lol

Gizmotech
April 16th, 2012, 08:44
If you haven't heard anything from your consulate and everyone else pretty much has, I would send them an e-mail asking for confirmation. Somethings do get lost in the confusion and it's hardly an automated process.

madeleine
April 16th, 2012, 10:25
How does reference shiz normally work anyway? If you ask for one will they be completely confused, or do they have the same thing for Japaneses in Japan? I know that almost all things you apply for in the UK ask you for a letter of reference from your most recent employer and if you don't attach one they will probably throw out your application before they read the reasons why.

For my pred, the recruiting agency sent a letter to my school, and my JTE filled it out, getting me to check that it was OK. So being nice to your successor is advisable I guess!

I found that usually in the UK though they won't ask for a letter of reference until after you have got the job, since most people are still in employment and may not have told their boss they are leaving. Graduate programs and postgrad study will usually require letters with your application though.

But it seems getting a letter of reference on school letterhead paper, from either your principal or your JTE before you leave would be a good idea.

melty
June 20th, 2012, 22:53
Bump for the UK JETs.

I posted this on the official forum...but thought I should let you lovely folks know as well:

JETAA London (The JET Alumni Association if you are getting sick of acronyms.) will run a Q&A Day on the 14th of July, just after your pre departure orientation. This event is for any new JETs or your parents (or partners) to come and ask questions about becoming a JET.

This year the event will include:
* A quick taster lesson in Japanese (to show you the kind of games you can do to teach English.)
* Some tips for studying Japanese (From the Japan Foundation)
* Advice on packing/ settling in/ teaching/ money matters etc.
* Advice on how to make the most of your time in Japan, and how to use JET as a step into your future career.
* Open question time! We will give you honest answers to any questions that might be difficult to ask during the main orientation.

We will probably head to a pub after the event...so you will be welcome to join ex-JETs for an informal drink as well.

Date: 14th July
Time: 1pm - 4pm
Venue: The Japan Foundation, London (the closest tube is Russell Square)
For more information, and a map to the venue:
http://www.jetaa.org.uk/events/qa-day-f ... s-parents/

Hopefully we will see plenty of you there.

*Please let us know if you intend to come, so we can ensure we provide enough chairs and refreshments!!

melty
June 20th, 2012, 22:54
That link didn't work...try this one: Q&A Day for new JETs & Parents | Events | JET Alumni Association UK (http://www.jetaa.org.uk/events/qa-day-for-new-jets-parents/)