View Full Version : Anyone go to S Korea before applying for JET?

October 30th, 2011, 00:44
Bit of a specific question, but I've got a question for anyone who went to South Korea to teach for at least a year, then later went on JET.

JET wants criminal record checks from anywhere you've spent 12 months or over if you're shortlisted.

(i) Applicants who have lived in another country for at least 12 consecutive months during the preceding five years must submit a criminal record from that country as well.

Does anyone know how to get a Criminal Record check (also known as Police Record Check/범죄경력회보서 in Korea) without being inside Korea?

October 30th, 2011, 17:40
Yes i did, the background check was not due for me till after i pass the interview however. I was in Korea at the time so i just went to a local police station. if you cannot i think you can get it by mailing a letter to the Korean national Police.

It will be in Korean and you will have to pay to get it translated. Cost me about 30 bucks.

October 30th, 2011, 19:27
This sounds like it'll be extremely difficult, if it is possible. If I can get it, there's such a low Korean population here in the UK, I don't know if there'll be someone who'll translate it, who'll be accepted as someone who can make an official translation.

October 30th, 2011, 22:46
There will be someone, probably run you around 30-60 quid i would guess. Just do a google search. They normally will be focused around embassies in london.

Also go to consulate or call them and ask if they can do background checks or give you the address and number to the Korean national police in seoul. Its a little bit of legwork but not impossible.

November 1st, 2011, 05:56
Thanks. I'll do some searching and contact people until I get a definite answer on how to get it. I've sent off an e-mail to the national police (hoping they get someone who can read English to deal with it) and I'll contact the embassy too to see what they suggest.

November 1st, 2011, 09:20
::Seoul MetroPolitan Police Agency:: (http://www.smpa.go.kr/smpa2007/eng/faq.asp)

There is also something there called the foreigner room on the seoul police station. Check it out it has a question and answer session. I would try and contact through the seoul branch (rather then the General National) of the police because they are mostly likely to speak English and tend to be most responsive.

I would like to receive a copy of my criminal record.
Scenario 1) foreigner who live in korea
You can get a copy of your record from the nearest police station with proper id.
If you would like more information about this matter, please call 02-737-9355(Scientific Investigation Center in Seoul metropolitan police agency)
Scenario 2) foreigner who still abroad or previously lived/worked in Korea.
You can get a copy of your record by contacting with legation of korea where you reside.(same as a korean who is residing in a foreign country)
If you would like more information about this matter, please call +82-2-393-8744(investigation team for identity in national police agency)

November 1st, 2011, 09:26
Thanks. Seems like the embassy does do it.

For any future people who've searched this; for the UK the website/form you need is here:

▒ Embassy of the Republic of Korea in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ▒ (http://gbr.mofat.go.kr/eng/eu/gbr/visiting/police/index.jsp)

It's supposed to take 6-8 weeks.