View Full Version : International Driver's License [U.S.A.]

May 21st, 2004, 14:35
I did some research today and here's what I found regarding International Driver's Licenses:

In the U.S. (at least in California), you can get an International Driver's License from AAA.

The cost is: $10 if you bring your own 2 identical passport sized photos

$16 if they take your photo

THe license is only good for one year after issuing. If I understood the receptionist, the AAA office should also have a copy of driving rules/ regulations in Japan (again, if I understood her correctly).

THe DMV does NOT issue international licenses.
Also, check with your car insurance provider to see if they can issue an international license.

From what I've been told, it's much easier to get your int'l driver's license in the U.S. before you leave.

Hope this helps.

May 21st, 2004, 15:47
Hi. Just in case any Aussies are looking here and wondering about getting an International driver's licence here, this is what I've found out:

It's pretty similar to the American's, except we get ours from RACQ (or the equivalent in your state - RACV ect), and it costs $20. You still have to take 2 passport sized photos in.

The passport is good for a year, and will be ready for you in about 10mins, so go in the week before you leave, no problems. And yes, our department of transports do not issue them either. I don't know whether they have the Japanese road rules or not, I didn't think to ask. :oops:

May 21st, 2004, 22:00
UK International driving licence

You can find instructions on how to get one on the aa/rac websites, costs about 4 quid, need to take both bits of your licence (photocard and counterpart) and a passport picture to a MAJOR post office (there are lists which ones do them on the websites)

Hope this helps.

May 29th, 2004, 23:47
Here's the AAA site with info in Int'l Driver's Liscense: