PDA

View Full Version : US Application is out~!

sloth
November 3rd, 2011, 04:34
Edit: Application is up again. Time to start the party~!

OR it was. Currently down due to technical difficulties.

Anyway, deadline is December 2nd.

nicole.ai
November 3rd, 2011, 04:44
I just hit refresh on the application website (https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=jet), and it had the "create account" button now.

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 04:52
Yeah, its officially up. Gonna start working on it :D And ask a bunch of annoying stupid questions

deadking
November 3rd, 2011, 04:52
^^I just created an account so the link works.

nicole.ai
November 3rd, 2011, 04:58
Yeah, its officially up. Gonna start working on it :D And ask a bunch of annoying stupid questions

Lol, I already have one annoying stupid question that I'm probably gonna ask the Miami Coordinator about...and I'm only on the second page.

deadking
November 3rd, 2011, 05:04
I'm stuck on the Academic Specialization section, great. I don't know whether English Literature goes under "Other Humanities" or "Other Major."

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 05:08
I'm already confused on if I should answer questions like 2b to avoid blanks on the application.

nicole.ai
November 3rd, 2011, 05:09
I'm stuck on the Academic Specialization section, great. I don't know whether English Literature goes under "Other Humanities" or "Other Major."

I have a B.A. in English, which I'm assuming will be "Literature" under "Humanities"?? I'm not 100% sure, tho.

deadking
November 3rd, 2011, 05:11
^^Yeah, I saw Literature but the way they set it up is really confusing.

Also, it keeps saying I left dates blank for the teaching cert/TEFL questions but I said no to both, and it won't let me put in N/A for them either. :mad:

nicole.ai
November 3rd, 2011, 05:14
I'm already confused on if I should answer questions like 2b to avoid blanks on the application.

Yeah, I was kind of unsure about those too. But I'm guessing, if we didn't answered the related preceding question, then we don't answer it?

I'm stuck on the Accompaniment part. I'm Engaged to someone already in the JET Program and I'm hoping I can be placed in the same city as him. Should I answer all the questions like he was also Applying? I have no idea.

hunterofpeace
November 3rd, 2011, 05:15
Should I use the same email or not? I know if you use the old one it will recognize it and make you come up with a new password. Is using the same email how JET knows you applied last year or is there a specific question for that (I can't remember)?

nicole.ai
November 3rd, 2011, 05:16
^^Yeah, I saw Literature but the way they set it up is really confusing.

Also, it keeps saying I left dates blank for the teaching cert/TEFL questions but I said no to both, and it won't let me put in N/A for them either. :mad:

Yeah, the set up in that tab pull down was very odd.

Strange about the TEFL things, I haven't quite gotten there yet. I'll let you know if the same issue occurs for me.

ETA: Just hit save and continue, and it doesn't mention anything about it being blank (I also put no for both)...

asilverthread
November 3rd, 2011, 05:18
Should I use the same email or not? I know if you use the old one it will recognize it and make you come up with a new password. Is using the same email how JET knows you applied last year or is there a specific question for that (I can't remember)?

You can use the same email, but not the same password. When I was setting up my account just now it said "Duplicate Account" and asked if I wanted to proceed. I said "yes." I got a new pin from last year.

And there is a specific question that will ask you if you're reapplying if I recall correctly from the application last year.

hunterofpeace
November 3rd, 2011, 05:20
Ok cool. I will just use a new email then. I don't use the old one much anymore.

hunterofpeace
November 3rd, 2011, 05:28
I think that if any information that they consider crucial is missing, it will prompt you. So I think it's totally fine to leave 2b blank. For everything else, I will put N/A if possible.

deadking
November 3rd, 2011, 05:29
Yeah, the set up in that tab pull down was very odd.

Strange about the TEFL things, I haven't quite gotten there yet. I'll let you know if the same issue occurs for me.

ETA: Just hit save and continue, and it doesn't mention anything about it being blank (I also put no for both)...

Yeah, once I moved from the page after that one, the notice went away. Hopefully that means I'm OK...

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 05:32
Yeah, I was kind of unsure about those too. But I'm guessing, if we didn't answered the related preceding question, then we don't answer it?

I'm stuck on the Accompaniment part. I'm Engaged to someone already in the JET Program and I'm hoping I can be placed in the same city as him. Should I answer all the questions like he was also Applying? I have no idea.

Yeah, its weird though, because it forced me to answer question 9c even though I answer No to all of the above.

.... Oh well. x_x

Actually, its firing off a lot of annoying warnings... I don't have a TEFL certificate, why do you keep telling me I have to fill it out?

deadking
November 3rd, 2011, 05:43
For the Placement section, since my first choice is Sapporo, the I fill out the "Place Name" section with one of the wards or just repeat Sapporo?

Argh, now the full name of my major doesn't fit in the box!

hunterofpeace
November 3rd, 2011, 05:48
I'm getting the same annoying TEFL warnings. I tried N/A and 00/0000 but it yelled at me for my month starting with a 0

nicole.ai
November 3rd, 2011, 05:53
For the Placement section, since my first choice is Sapporo, the I fill out the "Place Name" section with one of the wards or just repeat Sapporo?

Good question. Sapporo is also my first choice, so I chose "Sapporo City", but I wan't sure if I had to put Sapporo down as the Place Name, or I was supposed to get more specific within Sapporo...

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 06:07
I'm getting the same annoying TEFL warnings. I tried N/A and 00/0000 but it yelled at me for my month starting with a 0

I ignored it and as I went on it like stopped alerting me :(

I put down Kyoto-fu then a city for place name... just so there was something there.

Teishou
November 3rd, 2011, 06:21
lol I chose a specific city, but don't have strong reasons to support it. Just reminds me of my hometown.

Teishou
November 3rd, 2011, 06:22
I put down Kyoto-fu then a city for place name... just so there was something there.

Kyotanabe is a nice place. :D

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 06:26
I stumbled over Kameoka. From what I saw, it looks nice. Is it? lol

Teishou
November 3rd, 2011, 06:28
I never visited Kameoka, but uh...Matsuiyamate in Kyotanabe is a lovely city. Kinda rich though. :< I couldn't afford housing there. lol

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 06:34
LOL, I'm a person on a budget here. Give me the boonies if its cheap :P

I'm at the Intercultural/International experience section -- What are people putting down? I want to put down the panels I've done at expos but IDK

Teishou
November 3rd, 2011, 06:40
Applying be so much fun. :D

deadking
November 3rd, 2011, 06:42
It says select "Not Found", but that's not a thing you can click on or whatever. It can't find my school in Japan, so, do I write "Not Found" in the school name blank alongside the school?

You have to write "Not Found" in the name section of the form and it'll give you a link to click.

Of course, they put that little tip at the every end of the directions. :|

asilverthread
November 3rd, 2011, 06:49
LOL, I'm a person on a budget here. Give me the boonies if its cheap :P

I'm at the Intercultural/International experience section -- What are people putting down? I want to put down the panels I've done at expos but IDK

Maybe just put it down in one box? Wouldn't hurt. It says formal and informal experience.

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 06:50
Maybe just put it down in one box? Wouldn't hurt. It says formal and informal experience.

Alright. I just want to avoid the kiss of death as much as possible, even though its not even related to that.... aspect.

Teishou
November 3rd, 2011, 07:04
Eh. A few sentences for our future goals? Hm. I can come up with...one.

deadking
November 3rd, 2011, 07:13
I've finished about 90% of the application but I have to think about some of my answers for the later sections. I want to get those done by next week at the latest.

asilverthread
November 3rd, 2011, 07:18
I've been saving a lot. Just went to save current process and am now suddenly getting an error. Since I didn't log out, I can't open a new session of it. Fantastic.

[edit] Whew. Finally allowing me to relogin.

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 09:11
Just finished the majority of it, putting some off for another time as I wait for my references.

The Long Term Plans question was pretty difficult. It was hard trying to tie teaching english/internationalism to a graphic designer's career.

deadking
November 3rd, 2011, 09:22
Just finished the majority of it, putting some off for another time as I wait for my references.

The Long Term Plans question was pretty difficult. It was hard trying to tie teaching english/internationalism to a graphic designer's career.

I'm having the same issue with that, except replace graphic designer with editor. :p

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 09:27
I'm having the same issue with that, except replace graphic designer with editor. :p

XD This application is so stressful. I flipped and diced what I wrote in my SOP for my long term plans so hopefully it's what they want. :P

DarkCloudInc
November 3rd, 2011, 11:59
Wow.... it's tough to decided on whether or not to say yes to early placement...

Does creating an account but not completing it count as applying?

JackAttack
November 3rd, 2011, 12:01
I stumbled over Kameoka. From what I saw, it looks nice. Is it? lol

The university I studied abroad at was in Kameoka. I thought it was nice enough! In the mountains and right next to Arashiyama. We lived in Kyoto City so that's pretty close too.

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 12:06

No.

The university I studied abroad at was in Kameoka. I thought it was nice enough! In the mountains and right next to Arashiyama. We lived in Kyoto City so that's pretty close too.

Really? :D It looks like it has that Surburban/City feel, but there's still like everything shuts down at 7pm that I like XD Quiet but close to the city. Thanks for the info :))))

asilverthread
November 3rd, 2011, 12:07
Wow.... it's tough to decided on whether or not to say yes to early placement...

No. You have to have to actually press "submit application." You can save and come back to it later.

I'm done filling out for tonight as well. It's pretty much filled out. I'm still waiting on a few other things for the complete application though.

DarkCloudInc
November 3rd, 2011, 12:07
No.Thanks

DarkCloudInc
November 3rd, 2011, 12:09
The university I studied abroad at was in Kameoka. I thought it was nice enough! In the mountains and right next to Arashiyama. We lived in Kyoto City so that's pretty close too.Since you're from Chicago, what part of Japan has the closest to the climate of Chicago?

JackAttack
November 3rd, 2011, 12:18
Really? :D It looks like it has that Surburban/City feel, but there's still like everything shuts down at 7pm that I like XD Quiet but close to the city. Thanks for the info :))))

Yeah everything shuts down early and it gets dark, which is great if you like that thing, but my classmates and I were really happy to hop on the train back to the city after school. :P It's close enough if you want to do that too and not too expensive.

Since you're from Chicago, what part of Japan has the closest to the climate of Chicago?

Well Chicago is all over the place so it's hard to say. If it's cold and snow you want, aim for northern Honshu and Hokkaido or the Japan Sea side of Honshu. My side of Hyogo gets a few flurries in the winter, but the northern side along the Sea of Japan gets the warm summers and earlier autumn AND piles of snow. :^_^:

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 12:32
Yeah everything shuts down early and it gets dark, which is great if you like that thing, but my classmates and I were really happy to hop on the train back to the city after school. :P It's close enough if you want to do that too and not too expensive.

I already live in a small town that shuts down at 7pm so it's perfect for me. As long as there's a train to the city for the weekends, I'm good.

I prefer visiting the city but not living in the city. Yay for small towns. lol And that's nice its not cheap XD On Google maps it looks really close by.

mtreecorner
November 3rd, 2011, 13:02
I went through and filled out all the easy questions. I'll finish the other stuff later.

Still don't know what to put down for my third preference. 1)Akita 2)Hokkaido and 3)???? (nagano, Tochigi, death island?)

I must contemplate this...

nicole.ai
November 3rd, 2011, 13:48
Anyone know if you can put a general annual physical as your last physician consult in the Self-Assessment Medical Form? Because, that's the only thing I can remember going in for in the last year or so that doesn't fall under the specific omitted reasons (Colds, fevers, and visits to OB/GYN facilities or consultations for the requesting of contraception). It was technically for the Certificate of Health form I had the doc fill out. Otherwise, I don't remember any specifics that I could put down for this question.

asilverthread
November 3rd, 2011, 14:21
I would imagine you could put it down. It's something I doubt they would count against you. Just say "annual check up with doctor."

WishfulDreamer
November 3rd, 2011, 16:01
I have a B.A. in English, which I'm assuming will be "Literature" under "Humanities"?? I'm not 100% sure, tho.
Yeah, I'm English with a creative writing emphasis, so I just put other humanities and then put the full title of my major to clarify. They didn't have my second major on there, either. Just my minor haha. I'm still debating about which preferences to put, even though I know the chances of getting them are low.

nicole.ai
November 4th, 2011, 01:19
Thanks asilverthread, that's what I thought.

Does anyone know if you can put a future visit to Japan in the Prior International / Intercultural Experience section? I'm going to be in Japan from December until Februrary, so I thought since it would be before the interviews it would be okay to put down in this section of the appliacation. Thoughts?

Merkypie
November 4th, 2011, 01:39
For those who requested a specific city, going over the PDF sample of the application (like the print preview before you submit), its going to ask for a specific reason why you want to be in that location.

Specific Placement Request (Please give the reason(s) for your request(s) under Question #22.)

So if you don't have a specific reason, you don't have to answer it.

Does anyone know if you can put a future visit to Japan in the Prior International / Intercultural Experience section? I'm going to be in Japan from December until Februrary, so I thought since it would be before the interviews it would be okay to put down in this section of the appliacation. Thoughts?

I asked miami coordinator about this, because I was considering the idea of joining my school's trip to China this December, and she said as long as proof can be provided you can put it down (ie: Proof of Study Abroad). But that's in regards to an academic trip ... I'm not sure about a leisure trip.

deadking
November 4th, 2011, 07:38
For those who requested a specific city, going over the PDF sample of the application (like the print preview before you submit), its going to ask for a specific reason why you want to be in that location.

So if you don't have a specific reason, you don't have to answer it.

I asked miami coordinator about this, because I was considering the idea of joining my school's trip to China this December, and she said as long as proof can be provided you can put it down (ie: Proof of Study Abroad). But that's in regards to an academic trip ... I'm not sure about a leisure trip.

So, would saying something like "I want Hokkaido because I love the cold climate and I'll melt in generally hot/humid cities/towns/etc" be a good enough reason? It's good enough for me.

uthinkimlost?
November 4th, 2011, 07:42
Don't over think this. I'm pretty sure I'm the only JET I know that is even remotely close to getting their request, and even then in a 'Twilight Zone be careful what you wish for' sense.

You won't get your requests, put down where you want and focus on the important bits.

Grammar check your app!

nicole.ai
November 4th, 2011, 07:53

I asked Miami Coordinator about my future trip and she said I could put the upcoming trip down. She said that while it might not be counted towards the application stage, it will be useful to be in the application if I get to the interview stage.

JackAttack
November 4th, 2011, 09:09
Don't over think this. I'm pretty sure I'm the only JET I know that is even remotely close to getting their request, and even then in a 'Twilight Zone be careful what you wish for' sense.

You won't get your requests, put down where you want and focus on the important bits.

I know a friend who requested Osaka and got it, a friend who got her 2nd request in the prefecture right next to her 1st request, I got just down the train line from my old apartment which was my 1st request (pretty much got my ideal placement here)... A lot of people get what they ask for. It's likely you won't get what you want just because there are so many placements to fill, but it's entirely possible to get your request or close to it. I think there has been a poll here a couple times asking this question and a lot of members voted that they got or got close to what they wanted. If you say that you won't get your requests, you are completely misinforming applicants. It should be more of a "prepare for the worst, hope for the best".

Merkypie
November 4th, 2011, 09:26
I asked Miami Coordinator about my future trip and she said I could put the upcoming trip down. She said that while it might not be counted towards the application stage, it will be useful to be in the application if I get to the interview stage.

That's what I'm starting to do on my application. Even if its not counted, it'll be bonus points for the interview stage.

DarkCloudInc
November 4th, 2011, 11:42
In putting down leading a class through lessons and explaining the examples on my SoP, I would more so take that as informal. But should I note it in the teaching background if it's stated in my SoP? It's fitting of the classroom teaching but it wasn't recognized through the university...

[...]Well Chicago is all over the place so it's hard to say. If it's cold and snow you want, aim for northern Honshu and Hokkaido or the Japan Sea side of Honshu. My side of Hyogo gets a few flurries in the winter, but the northern side along the Sea of Japan gets the warm summers and earlier autumn AND piles of snow. :^_^:Hah! Spoken like a true Chicagoan!

Merkypie
November 4th, 2011, 12:41
It would defeat the purpose to not put down what you mentioned in your SOP. They're going to be going through your application first before they even get to the SOP so you might as well garner up all the points you can with the application and have your SOP/References carry the remainder/lacking areas.

DarkCloudInc
November 5th, 2011, 08:19
Fair enough. Well, I suppose I can put it down as tutoring or other teaching. Now the question is how I put it down and put down informal studies since its asking for institution in the informal section.

Merkypie
November 5th, 2011, 09:05
I wrote what I did in the institution, ie:

Institution: Self Study
Course: Subject of Self Study
Dates: xx/xx/xx - xx/xx/xx
Grade: NA

DarkCloudInc
November 5th, 2011, 10:46
I wrote what I did in the institution, ie:

Institution: Self Study
Course: Subject of Self Study
Dates: xx/xx/xx - xx/xx/xx
Grade: NAThat's incredibly useful. Don't know if it would be applicable or clever to note the book in the course.

Merkypie
November 5th, 2011, 10:48
miami_coordinator said don't bother putting down the book, especially if you read like several. just group it all under one thing.

and i also made a fb group prayer circle thing (http://www.facebook.com/groups/244517225601437/) for those who have fb and want to stay in contact and what not.

DarkCloudInc
November 5th, 2011, 12:46
Hmm....
Since I've had to train people to use software, don't know how to put it on.
Name of Institution and Position Held: [company name] - Developer
Subject Taught: Software Training
Grade Level Taught: NA
Dates: XX/XX - XX/XX
Hrs/Week: NA

I think that sounds about right.

What an interesting position... one of my old companies I worked for got bought out... and now found out they closed down the office...

hunterofpeace
November 5th, 2011, 14:27
and i also made a fb group prayer circle thing (http://www.facebook.com/groups/244517225601437/) for those who have fb and want to stay in contact and what not.

I dunno... seems too... not anonymous for me.

Also it's weird seeing the new icon next to your name. Feels like an impostor. O.O

Merkypie
November 5th, 2011, 23:44
I dunno... seems too... not anonymous for me.

Also it's weird seeing the new icon next to your name. Feels like an impostor. O.O

My account is pretty anon lololol. But yeah.

She wants to drum into your soul.