View Full Version : Working-Holiday Visa

November 9th, 2011, 12:03
Is it possible to find a job teaching ESL while in Japan on a working-holiday visa with only TEFL/TESL etc. certification and a high school diploma, or do all jobs require full working visas and bachelor's degrees?
If it is possible, any tips on where to go/apply would be very much appreciated.
My partner and I are considering taking a year off from our studies in order to do some teaching abroad. I know someone who taught ESL for three years in China, and I know that there they do accept teachers with only high school diplomas and ESL teaching certification, however I know that in order to get a job teaching ESL in Japan most require a bachelors degree, if only because it is required for the full-year working visa. Do some schools hire teachers on working-holiday visas?

November 9th, 2011, 14:17
You might be able to get temp work as a tutor, but I wouldn`t expect full employment from a school with out a degree.

November 14th, 2011, 05:30
I've seen a few people online talking about working for peppy kids club without a degree on a working holiday visa... Can't say for certain. A friend of mine was hired by GABA while she was in Japan and she hadn't got a degree!

November 16th, 2011, 09:18
I've a friend who Works at some small nursery/primary school of some sort (not a real school I don't think, kind of...a kids eikawa or something?) in Tokyo and I recall the last time I talked to her she mentioned a new girl starting who had just finished high school and was on a working holiday. It sure seems possible.

November 17th, 2011, 16:34
Hi there,
I worked for Peppy Kids Club on a working holiday visa in 2007.
If your country of residence does working holiday visa's, check out the requirements (eg, some might have age limits) then jump on the itti website (peppy) and follow the links to apply. You will have to get the visa yourself though, as well as your own travel insurance. You will also earn less and pay more taxes, however I was still able to drink a lot away as well as come home with savings as I was in a smaller town.
I did have some university (but not completed) and a TESOL diploma which I think helped me to get hired, however I worked with another Aussie who had only completed their high school.
If you had a choice, I would advise you to do a TESOL course anyway. It makes you more employable and you do learn tricks.
Good luck.

November 18th, 2011, 21:25
And don't forget you'll be taxed a lot on your salary if you're working short term but if you're just doing it for the experience then it doesn't matter :)