PDA

View Full Version : Exchange or Loans?

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 14:44
Question for first-time ALT. With the currency exchange rates the way they are, wouldn't it be a better idea to keep your US Dollars back home and take out loans for your initial housing payments etc before first paycheck by the time you get to Japan? I guess the better question is what are the loan policies for a ALT in the JET program, and does it differ for Interac/Non-JET?

Gezora
November 9th, 2011, 14:51
What? Your first payment for housing is going to be 1,000 bucks tops. It's not for actually buying a house so the bank wouldn't give you a loan anyway, doubly so for a fresh off the boat foreigner with no bank account. You're going to need money to live when you first get there anyway. Just bite the bullet and deal with the crappy exchange rate. Every paycheck you get after that is probably going to be earning you about 20% more than an equivalent salary in the US, not to mention tax free.

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 14:59
What? Your first payment for housing is going to be 1,000 bucks tops. It's not for actually buying a house so the bank wouldn't give you a loan anyway, doubly so for a fresh off the boat foreigner with no bank account. You're going to need money to live when you first get there anyway. Just bite the bullet and deal with the crappy exchange rate. Every paycheck you get after that is probably going to be earning you about 20% more than an equivalent salary in the US, not to mention tax free.
I'm aware of that, which is why I thought loans would be the way to go. I'm not familiar with how loans work in any country considering ive never needed one before, but wouldn't I be able to work something out with JET/the contracting organization? I imagine out of the thousands of applicants that apply in any of these programs, there are some dump poor ones right? Is everyone that goes there able pay the first 4 or however many months rent/deposit upfront without problem?

MixedNuts
November 9th, 2011, 15:01
um, my first housing payment was more around 2500 us bucks (and it would be way more now that the dollar has gone to shite). But as Gezora said, unless you have an understanding BOE willing to give you a loan, a foreigner brand new to the country isn't going to be able to get a loan from any financial institution in Japan.

So yeah you can ask your employer. But be prepared in case they aren't willing to loan you some cash upfront. Mine wasn't.

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 15:05
um, my first housing payment was more around 2500 us bucks (and it would be way more now that the dollar has gone to shite). But as Gezora said, unless you have an understanding BOE willing to give you a loan, a foreigner brand new to the country isn't going to be able to get a loan from any financial institution in Japan.
yes alright this is what i wanted to know.

my credit and everything is good. should i lie and say im poor (im not)? if i tell them the truth about my concerns with the exchange rate and they would deny me a loan for that reason it would suck..

uthinkimlost?
November 9th, 2011, 15:08
yes alright this is what i wanted to know.

my credit and everything is good. should i lie and say im poor (im not)? if i tell them the truth about my concerns with the exchange rate and they would deny me a loan for that reason it would suck..

HIJET:

Your American credit rating means bupkis.

You will need to bring money. The losses you take coming here will be offset by the yen going the other direction.

MixedNuts
November 9th, 2011, 15:12
Well you can certainly try and see if they're willing to give you a loan if you don't want to get scr*wed with the exchange rate. But yeah don't say that's your reason. And also, you probably won't know your placement until like a month before you depart so don't depend on getting that loan for sure and wait last minute to scrounge up alternate funds. You said though that you're not poor so I'm assuming it won't be an issue for you.

Edit: and as uthink said, your overseas credit won't mean anything to people here. I have good credit at home too but I can't get a loan or a credit card.

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 15:14
HIJET:

Your American credit rating means bupkis.

You will need to bring money. The losses you take coming here will be offset by the yen going the other direction.
im AWARE.
but hypothetically if you COULD get a loan for starting out until you earned enough money until you paid it off, i mean wouldnt that be the best way? 1000 USD = approx 77,000 yen now, right?
four years ago 1000 USD = 120,000 yen

i mean if you can avoid getting r*ped by the exchange, wouldnt you do it?

Eudox
November 9th, 2011, 15:16
I really hope you don't end up anywhere near me if you get on the program.

Gezora
November 9th, 2011, 15:17
Maybe, but you've made it clear that it's not even beyond your means. Some people come here with barely enough money to make it to first payday because that's all they have. I think you'll survive Scrooge McDuck.

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 15:17
Well you can certainly try and see if they're willing to give you a loan if you don't want to get scr*wed with the exchange rate. But yeah don't say that's your reason. And also, you probably won't know your placement until like a month before you depart so don't depend on getting that loan for sure and wait last minute to scrounge up alternate funds. You said though that you're not poor so I'm assuming it won't be an issue for you.
If i fail to take out the funds before I go, what's the issue with just withdrawing it when Im in Japan?

Gezora
November 9th, 2011, 15:18

I hope they don't get in period.

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 15:18
i'm actually quite generous at times. but these are hard times we're living in over here dude. i understand you havent noticed being in a dif country and all

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 15:19
I hope they don't get in period.
aw, thats cold man

uthinkimlost?
November 9th, 2011, 15:21
im AWARE.
but hypothetically if you COULD get a loan for starting out until you earned enough money until you paid it off, i mean wouldnt that be the best way? 1000 USD = approx 77,000 yen now, right?
four years ago 1000 USD = 120,000 yen

i mean if you can avoid getting r*ped by the exchange, wouldnt you do it?

Obviously not.

I am glad you are AWARE of how the money will work coming out here. I'm sure you are also AWARE that, if you are careful, you could send money back to your US account after the first paycheck, and the stronger YENNIES you send back will offset the weak DOLLIES you brough. IF the exchange rate has changed drastically in that month, yes, you could get screwed, but IF it is fluctuating that wildly in the span of a month there are probably BROADER concerns.

You MIGHT be able to get a loan from your CO. You might not. I would lean toward the NOT. You sign a contract saying you will come out and agree to the terms of employment, they are in no way obligated to loan you money and it would likely P#$$ them off. If they DO NOT loan you the money, you are up S#[7 creek because no bank will loan you anything.

MixedNuts
November 9th, 2011, 15:23
Maybe, but you've made it clear that it's not even beyond your means. Some people come here with barely enough money to make it to first payday because that's all they have. I think you'll survive Scrooge McDuck.

This was me. I brought as much as I could and took out a loan from back home too. Too bad that I was in one of the more expensive placements (no rent subsidy either) but oh well. It was awhile before I had splurging money though.

And stupid phone won't let me scroll down, so I'll comment on HMarathon's comment (below) here: I'm not sure what you mean. You mean take out the funds from your us account after you get here?
And lol, I was looking at Scrooge McDuck stuff this morning.

If i fail to take out the funds before I go, what's the issue with just withdrawing it when Im in Japan?

Gezora
November 9th, 2011, 15:24
aw, thats cold man

Well you've made a stunning first impression.

uthinkimlost?
November 9th, 2011, 15:27
I bet HONOLULUMARATHON doesn't even know where the best malasadas in the islands come from.

I bet HONOLULUMARATHON doesn't like poi!

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 15:29
ok so im getting the impression that if i dont bring any money with me, and I do not receive any loans, that I will be fked when I get there? Do they not have any Bank of America ATMs there or something?

jk.

Well you've made a stunning first impression.
how? im asking questions to gain a better understanding, so far ive learned more from it thanks to all of you (most of you). i appreciate it.

uthinkimlost?
November 9th, 2011, 15:30
im asking questions to gain a better understanding, so far ive learned more from it thanks to all of you (most of you). i appreciate it.

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/c/c3/Chris_chan_looking_up.jpg

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 15:32
im not a geek. i assure you

edit: although that is a pretty sweet collection he's got there

Gezora
November 9th, 2011, 15:38
how? im asking questions to gain a better understanding, so far ive learned more from it thanks to all of you (most of you). i appreciate it.
Because you're an idiot and obviously concerned with money to a fault. You're worrying about a one time payment when there were people who used to do this job when the exchange rate was 120yen to the dollar.

uthinkimlost?
November 9th, 2011, 15:39
Because you're an idiot and obviously concerned with money to a fault. You're worrying about a one time payment when there were people who used to do this job when the exchange rate was 120yen to the dollar.

Read: Gezora

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 15:45
am i an idiot? possibly. unless ive got my math figured out wrong here, i would think that since yen is MORE valuable compared to dollars now than it was then..i would want to take out a loan if i can and SAVE my dollars. By not exchanging my money and just working off my loan i would be saving more in the long run..
so i think it comes down to, if being smart means spending more money, i think id rather be an idiot, yes?
is there a 50% fee from withdrawing US dollars in a foreign country i havent heard about yet? whats the problem with going over there with no money? if things dont work out you could just do it there..

uthinkimlost?
November 9th, 2011, 15:52
am i an idiot? possibly. unless ive got my math figured out wrong here, i would think that since yen is MORE valuable compared to dollars now than it was then..i would want to take out a loan if i can and SAVE my dollars. By not exchanging my money and just working off my loan i would be saving more in the long run..
so i think it comes down to, if being smart means spending more money, i think id rather be an idiot, yes?
is there a 50% fee from withdrawing US dollars in a foreign country i havent heard about yet? whats the problem with going over there with no money? if things dont work out you could just do it there..

I don't think you canz math. Worst case scenario, doing it the right way, you can break even in a month.

Unless yer a nub who wants to PROFIT from the exchange rate BEFORE you get here.

Your banks will charge fees for using your card in an ATM in a foreign country. (Both your bank and the bank that owns the ATM.)

Some banks will charge a fee for currency exchange via ATM. (Not CPB or BankOH, they just give you a shi""y rate.

Not ALL of the ATMS will ALLOW you to withdraw as much as you want at all times of day. If you are in the inaka your atm might shut down at 5pm and only allow $200 in withdrawals per day.

Best case scenario: Take out a ton of money at TO, then wander down to kabuki-cho and flash it around.

Don't forget you might hafta buy your car before you even arrive in JapanLand!

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 15:55
I don't think you canz math. Worst case scenario, doing it the right way, you can break even in a month.

Your banks will charge fees for using your card in an ATM in a foreing country. (Both your bank and the bank that owns the ATM.)

Some banks will charge a fee for currency exchange via ATM. (Not CPB or BankOH, they just give you a shi""y rate.

Not ALL of the ATMS will ALLOW you to withdraw as much as you want at all times of day. If you are in the inaka your atm might shut down at 5pm and only allow $200 in withdrawals per day.

Best case scenario: Take out a ton of money at TO, then wander down to kabuki-cho and flash it around.

Don't forget you might hafta buy your car before you even arrive in JapanLand!
ok first: Whats a TO

2nd: does JET or Interac or whoever else pay for transportation, whether it be car or train. and is JET the only one that pays for flight over?

uthinkimlost?
November 9th, 2011, 15:58
ok first: Whats a TO

2nd: does JET or Interac or whoever else pay for transportation, whether it be car or train. and is JET the only one that pays for flight over?

TokyoOrientation

Interac will most of the time. On JET your CO will sometimes pay for business trips or subsidize gas money. Not always.

JET is the last great flight payer. I'm surprised Interac doesn't make you pay for the honor of applying.

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 16:05
TokyoOrientation

Interac will most of the time. On JET your CO will sometimes pay for business trips or subsidize gas money. Not always.

JET is the last great flight payer. I'm surprised Interac doesn't make you pay for the honor of applying.
thanks for the help. last question and then ill go before gezora's veins start popping out.

Since it looks like Interac lets their applicants know in late-march with location placement, right before JET announces their shortlists in april (Interac does that on purpose i assume?), does the situation where one has to decide to go with Interac or hold out to see if they were accepted to JET happen often? if so, does Interac allow you to defer until later date if they already decided your location?

if u dont know, i understand. just looking ahead

uthinkimlost?
November 9th, 2011, 16:08
thanks for the help. last question and then ill go before gezora's veins start popping out.

Since it looks like Interac lets their applicants know in late-march with location preference, right before JET announces their shortlists in april (Interac does that on purpose i assume?), does the situation where one has to decide to go with Interac or hold out to see if they were accepted to JET happen often? if so, does Interac allow you to defer until later date if they already decided your location?

if u dont know, i understand. just looking ahead

They might let you defer if you rock. Probably not, there is no shortage of mouthbreathers with an urge for japonisme.

The most common thing to do is apply to JET, then apply for the following Fall intake with Interac.

Gezora
November 9th, 2011, 16:12
My point is that you're worrying about making a one time payment in a weak currency when you're going to be swimming in a strong currency soon after. Imagine if you were going to get paid every month in a weak currency.

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 16:17
My point is that you're worrying about making a one time payment in a weak currency when you're going to be swimming in a strong currency soon after. Imagine if you were going to get paid every month in a weak currency.
for the 3rd time, i realize the benefits of earning currency there and converting it to USD. i get that. my point is that one time payment could end up being a lot depending on the situation, correct? and doesnt interac wait forever to pay their ppl? depending on the agency and the location some people would have to withdraw $5,000 to cover it all maybe? Instead of losing that to exchange why not just borrow money if possible? thats my point.

i understand your POV and respect you as a person

Gezora
November 9th, 2011, 16:19
But no one is going to give you a loan. Plus you will make a great first impression by asking to borrow money right off the bat.

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 16:26
But no one is going to give you a loan. Plus you will make a great first impression by asking to borrow money right off the bat.
and you know this, how?
like i was asking earlier, how else would people with little money be able to do these programs if they weren't able to borrow money to start out with? and wgaf about first impression, if you pay the money back promptly..what reason is there for not asking about it after being accepted into the program?

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 16:27
and correct me if im wrong, but im picturing the CO when negotiating the loans. Is it not with them that you work this out with?

Gezora
November 9th, 2011, 16:33
Your CO might subsidize your housing, and in that case you might be lucky enough to not have to pay key money or any of that hooey. If that isn't the case they most likely aren't going to help you with jack and a 20man loan to a new employee is about the last thing they would do. Also, to reiterate YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET A LOAN FROM A BANK IN YOUR FIRST MONTH OF BEING IN THE COUNTRY

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 16:37
okay so the only thing the CO will do is subsidize housing? i got the impression that they were also able to work out getting a loan from the BoE?

Gezora
November 9th, 2011, 16:41
Whut. I don't know anything about Interac. On JET your BOE is your CO most of the time.

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 16:41
ah nm. i could have just searched for this earlier. this guy asked the same question

http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying-jet/17167-getting-loan-your-boe.html

Gezora
November 9th, 2011, 16:51
qileP4bAzek&feature=related

HonoluluMarathon
November 9th, 2011, 16:53
ill admit my frugality is appalling. but you have to admit to some extent that i was correct if the loans are a possible means

Gezora
November 9th, 2011, 16:58
You're always welcome to try asking for a loan if you ever come to Japan. I would love to hear how it works out for you.

hunterofpeace
November 9th, 2011, 17:05
I'm broke as fvck but I'm busting my a$$ to save at least 20% of my income for JET each month. If I do that I will have around 2,100 USD by the time I leave. I really don't think it's possible to save any more than that on a server's income. I hope it's enough...

Side note: I frakking hate bleeping myself. It takes all of the soul out of my cursing.

zero
November 9th, 2011, 17:16
If you get JET you won't need as much start up money because the flights are paid for and your rent probably won't be sky-high. Loans from COs do not seem to be common but I've heard of supervisors lending money to ALTs out of the goodness of their hearts - but I have only heard that from douchebags who didn't come prepared and there was little other choice because rent had to be paid.

Interac do have loans to help you with key money/first month's rent which is automatically taken from your pay every month until it's paid off and this more widely available than with JET it seems.

I don't really understand why, if you have the money, you wouldn't just bring it to save yourself and your CO a lot of hassle.
I certainly had nowhere near the recommended amount of money but luckily my rent is subsidised and I survived quite nicely so don't worry about that too much.

hunterofpeace
November 9th, 2011, 20:45
Also, Honolulu... if I may...

I think the reason you pissed everyone off was your impatience with those trying to give you advice, your willingness to inconvenience your CO for the sake of saving a few bucks in the currency exchange, and your generally flippant attitude towards money. For someone who struggles to make ends meet, hearing you nitpick over funds and take advantage of a system created to help those who actually need it all while making sure to clarify that you are indeed not poor... makes me madder than a tailor in a nudist colony.

MixedNuts
November 9th, 2011, 20:45
Again, you can ask but it's not guaranteed. If you have an inaka placement, the chances are higher that your rent will be subsidized anyway (but not always) and you may not have to pay a deposit. If you are an urban/city placement, that chance decreases a lot and the rent/deposit tends to be more expensive. So when you first arrive you may have key money/deposit, first month's rent, and household goods expenses. Depending on your CO/BOE you may also have to pay the cost of Tokyo Orientation and travel to your prefecture (which they do pay for, but in my case it was reimbursed at a later time).

Gezora
November 10th, 2011, 01:51

I think the reason you pissed everyone off was your impatience with those trying to give you advice, your willingness to inconvenience your CO for the sake of saving a few bucks in the currency exchange, and your generally flippant attitude towards money. For someone who struggles to make ends meet, hearing you nitpick over funds and take advantage of a system created to help those who actually need it all while making sure to clarify that you are indeed not poor... makes me madder than a tailor in a nudist colony.
This.

nicole.ai
November 10th, 2011, 04:41

I totally agree with this.

Honolulu, a lot of us are worried whether we can save enough start-up money while still paying our current cost-of-living expenses, student loans, etc., and it's extremely aggravating to read posts from some putz who just doesn't want to lose a percentage of their money to the exchange rate or bank fees. The fact that you can't comprehend why a group of people would be annoyed with you as you keep assuring us that you totally can afford the cost, but would rather not have to, is maddening.

I was going to just keeping lurking this thread and keep my two cents to myself, but the more posts Honolulu made defending themself, the more annoyed I got. I know I pretty much reiterated some of what hunterofpeace already said perfectly, but maybe if Honolulu reads enough posts from different people telling them their idea of getting a loan when they don't need to get one is idiotic, they might start to realize how much of a tool they're being and stop posting "Yeah, but...."

MJN
November 10th, 2011, 09:52
There's virtually nothing you can do about the shit exchange rate coming here. If there was an easy way to profit from the exchange rate, then it would have been exploited by the many already.

It's one thing to live like scrooge mcduck (hello my fridge with only a bottle of milk and 2 kiwis in it right now) but seriously, you're not going to profit from the exchange rate. Bite the bullet, accept you're getting shafted by it but just relish in the fact your first paycheck will probably more than make up for it, depending how much you actually bring. I took 9man with me, and it was waaay overboard. I only just finished using it more than 3 months later. I'm lucky in that I'm not paying rent and have no gas bill to pay, though.

About CO loans, I never directly got one, but my BOE did buy my 20man car for me, with me paying them back over my first 2 paychecks.

uthinkimlost?
November 10th, 2011, 09:58
(hello my fridge with only a bottle of milk and 2 kiwis in it right now)

Cytrix and Eudox?

Eudox
November 10th, 2011, 09:59
9 man has lasted you three months? Wow! I'm impressed. (not being sarcastic even though it sounds it).

mteacher80
November 10th, 2011, 10:01
my eyes are bleeding.....

MJN
November 10th, 2011, 10:28
9 man has lasted you three months? Wow! I'm impressed. (not being sarcastic even though it sounds it).

I'm just sadly tight with money, though that doesn't include the likes of amazon purchases - mosty just food, bills and random things I needed when I arrived. And not the car obviously, which I mentioned before.

Eudox
November 10th, 2011, 10:35
I'm tight with money in daily life (if we're only counting bills/food, then I would probably have only spent a similar amount). However, when I go on trips/make big purchases I have no problem spending all the moneys.

word
November 10th, 2011, 11:02
I spend ALL THE MONEY.

I regret nothing.

MJN
November 10th, 2011, 11:43
I'm tight with money in daily life (if we're only counting bills/food, then I would probably have only spent a similar amount). However, when I go on trips/make big purchases I have no problem spending all the moneys.

I'm kinda the same. I hum and haw about a 1.99 game on steam and avoid vending machines because its a wasted 120 yen, avoiding buying food and eat like a hobo, but I just went out and got myself a new TV. And upgrade my computer drastically almost every year.

Theory
November 10th, 2011, 11:54
My BOE gave me a 15man signing bonus that I didn't ask for and did the same thing for the other ALT in my town. I've heard of it happening to others, but I don't think that it is a common practice. I spent all of it purchasing two cars and was able to survive until my first paycheck on the $1,000 I converted before comming.

MJN
November 10th, 2011, 12:03
two cars

1) Why
and 2), 2 cars for 150,000?

Theory
November 10th, 2011, 12:10
1) Why
and 2), 2 cars for 150,000?

1) one car is for me and the other car is for my wife.

2)I bought both cars used from other JETs before I came. I got one car for 10 man and the other for 5 man, which was a steal. It even came with a free guitar.

Eudox
November 10th, 2011, 12:14
1) one car is for me and the other car is for my wife.

2)I bought both cars used from other JETs before I came. I got one car for 10 man and the other for 5 man, which was a steal. It even came with a free guitar.

Damn man. I bought my pos (which I will have to try and sell to someone in the nearish future), for 15man. It goes, but that's about all it does.

MJN
November 10th, 2011, 12:34
I got mine for 20man. Daihatsu Mira (K-car), 2 years shaken, manual. Had about 60,000km when I got it, 7 years old. Seems to be ok, automatic windows, airconditioning and all, but the thing honestly struggles to get to about 100kph.

Theory
November 10th, 2011, 12:43
Damn man. I bought my pos (which I will have to try and sell to someone in the nearish future), for 15man. It goes, but that's about all it does.

Well neither one of our cars is in great shape, but they both run fine. Although the 5man car will need new shaken in March which I'm not excited about.

Lianwen
November 10th, 2011, 18:52
Honestly, imma gonna teach you a little economics:

Suzy and Ben have both grown apple trees! Each kiddo reaps 10 apples from the tree.

Every two apples is worth 1 orange. Ben and Suzy really like oranges! But the are growing orange trees that`ll give them 10 oranges each! That's like 30 apples in the long run! Banks only accept apples as currency though!

However, Ben and Suzy are both allergic to apples! Woe!

Suzy decides to keep all her apples to herself, and borrows 5 oranges from her neighbor who magically made their tree bloom.

Ben decides to just trade all of his apples for oranges.

Suzy now has 10 apples and 5 oranges.
Ben now has 0 apples and 5 oranges.

They both eat two oranges in the time it takes for their orange trees to produce 10 oranges!

Now, Suzy has 10 apples and 13 oranges.
Ben has 0 apples and 13 oranges.

Suzy has to give some oranges to the farmer that she borrowed from. She now has 8 Oranges and 10 apples.

Suzy and Ben need to pay their mean apple bankers off!

Suzy`s oranges become 16 apples! Plus her 10 apples she kept at home, she now has 26 apples!

Ben`s oranges become 26 apples!

Point is, it doesn't matter at all. You won't be saving money in the long run. You're still gonna be spending the money you borrowed. You still will have to pay it back to your BOE. If you're concerned about money, start planning now. This isn't a perfect example, but it illustrates money in is still money out. I'm sure someone will rip this example.

If you're honestly broke, and people are hunting you down for money, then yeah, maybe you can ask for BOE to defer your payments or something for a month.

But you're not gonna `save` money in doing so. Okay, you might be able to save like 20 bucks or so for every 10000yen if the exchange rate plummets and then raises when you start making yen, but dude, you will have to pay eventually and it`ll even out.

HonoluluMarathon
November 11th, 2011, 03:12
Point is, it doesn't matter at all. You won't be saving money in the long run. You're still gonna be spending the money you borrowed. You still will have to pay it back to your BOE. If you're concerned about money, start planning now. This isn't a perfect example, but it illustrates money in is still money out. I'm sure someone will rip this example.

If you're honestly broke, and people are hunting you down for money, then yeah, maybe you can ask for BOE to defer your payments or something for a month.

But you're not gonna `save` money in doing so. Okay, you might be able to save like 20 bucks or so for every 10000yen if the exchange rate plummets and then raises when you start making yen, but dude, you will have to pay eventually and it`ll even out.

thanks for the input. i honestly think i would be saving hundreds but whether its worth the time and energy i dont know. i cant believe i wasted my time reading that story, though

MixedNuts
November 11th, 2011, 07:10
It sounds like you've already made up your mind, HonoluluMarathon. In that case, why do you continue to ask? If our answers are unsatisfactory then maybe it would be better to ask over on the official forum where there are people like Prefectural Advisors, CIRs, and JET Program Coordinators who read and respond to questions? And imho, this is something to worry about at the other end of the process. I'd focus more now on getting your application as polished up as possible.

Merkypie
November 11th, 2011, 10:28
thanks for the input. i honestly think i would be saving hundreds but whether its worth the time and energy i dont know. i cant believe i wasted my time reading that story, though

Wow, you're an ass. I would like to say you're trolling but even a troll knows when to stop.

If you want the loan, take the loan. Save your precious american dollars and keep it in the bank. jfc. Just don't come back here complaining on how you were assed out when your BoE didn't give you a loan and you have no cash to get started because you were too busy protecting your american monies.

Antonath
November 11th, 2011, 12:06
Don't forget to include your detailed financial planning in your SoP! I'm sure everyone at CLAIR will be very impressed with how thoroughly you've thought things through.

You should also include revised figures on how badly the new pay scale will affect your ten-year plan; they might make an exception when they realise just how much you're obsessing over every cent you make!

Lianwen
November 11th, 2011, 12:10

If you seriously believe you`ll be saving hundreds, then either two things are happening:

You're planning on needing like 10k USD worth of yen, or you have magical inside knowledge the the yen is gonna drop to 44yen to 1usd in July/August.

You also didn't have to read the story. Idk, you could also have just listened to what everyone else had been saying, but I felt badly for you, and hey, this is how my father explained it to me because it`s his job. I had the same idea as you did basically, and he told me that unless I was a millionare and planning on exchanging several hundreds of thousands of dollars, the exchange rate game isn't worth playing in this situation.

HonoluluMarathon
November 11th, 2011, 16:17
Wow, you're an ass. I would like to say you're trolling but even a troll knows when to stop.

please. the guy even said himself the story had no point

HonoluluMarathon
November 11th, 2011, 16:18
Don't forget to include your detailed financial planning in your SoP! I'm sure everyone at CLAIR will be very impressed with how thoroughly you've thought things through.

You should also include revised figures on how badly the new pay scale will affect your ten-year plan; they might make an exception when they realise just how much you're obsessing over every cent you make!
who is clair? does she give loans?

haha

dialogue
November 11th, 2011, 19:01
Why does JET continue to attract such moronic dingleberries?

Merkypie
November 11th, 2011, 22:42

haha

Trollololol

Eudox
November 11th, 2011, 23:46
Why does JET continue to attract such moronic dingleberries?

trollol.

Lianwen
November 12th, 2011, 22:08
please. the guy even said himself the story had no point

....trying to figure out where I said that it had no point. Please enlighten this female, because obviously you know so much better than everyone else here about using different currencies, and minimizing costs come over.

Again, I suggest if you have issues with our advice, head over to Official. I'm sure Miamicoordinater or someone that actually works at a consulate and with the program can give you facts.

MJN
November 15th, 2011, 11:59

haha

Really, calling troll at this.

Gizmotech
November 15th, 2011, 12:46
/* Attempt at seriousness */

You're not getting a loan. When you come here you do not exist as a person in the Japanese Economy. The fact that you have a job barely registers with them

As for saving pennies, you're gonna save any service/transaction fees in the process. The conversion rate (or losses in this) will only really be felt to the tune of 100$ or more if there is substantial change in the dollar, which really only happens when the Finance department gets involved, otherwise change is soo gradual you'd never notice before payday.

Now why you AREN'T gonna get a loan when you get here even with your crazy messed up world where you're an important person (which you're not FYI)
A) You aren't a person at all in this country until you have your gaijin card
B) Even if you talk your way around this to open a bank account without your BoE getting involved, you still can't do anything with this account until you get your GC.
C) The process of A takes at least 2-3 weeks, or usually right around your first paycheck.
D) Key money issues are usually manageable through your BoE somehow, in the form of a "loan"
E) Most people who come here don't have to deal with this problem anyways (GASP... If it was a real problem you'd read about it ALL the time...)

/* Serious done*/

You sir are a moron. You assume that because you exist as a person where you come from you will be a person here. Nothing is further from the truth. You are nobody here. Just another dirty Gaijin out for a buck on the governments dime.

Second if you're concerned about money you're doing it ALL WRONG. There is no money in this job. None. There's a lot of drinking, travelling, playing with small children, meeting new people, having the time of your life, but there's no money in this. It's not a career, it's not profitable, it's a sink hole of time, money and energy you will never see again.

Please for dear god, go work for Interac, or die in a fire. (I vote for #2)

Thank you.

Merkypie
November 15th, 2011, 13:17
And for some reason I now feel as if this troll has succeeded in trolling this board.

MJN
November 15th, 2011, 17:58
And strung it on for 77 replies. Seriously, no one can be that thick.

HonoluluMarathon
November 19th, 2011, 03:26
And for some reason I now feel as if this troll has succeeded in trolling this board.
and it was quite easy, i must admit

Merkypie
November 19th, 2011, 04:01
and it was quite easy, i must admit

You must feel quite accomplished, don't you?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luve4zc3tz1qceic6.gif

hunterofpeace
November 19th, 2011, 04:27
Oh Lawd... he's back. (Hide your kids, hide your wife)

HonoluluMarathon
November 19th, 2011, 04:46
You must feel quite accomplished, don't you?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luve4zc3tz1qceic6.gif

http://s11.postimage.org/wglfm1k4h/1253656253198.gif

alutemu
November 19th, 2011, 05:33
Can I claim that this troll is violating the rule infringing upon the rights of others?

hunterofpeace
November 19th, 2011, 05:34
Haha, unfortunately I doubt it. Maybe pull the race card because of that last gif? ^_^

Merkypie
November 19th, 2011, 06:06
http://s11.postimage.org/wglfm1k4h/1253656253198.gif

Man, at learn how to post a gif.

HonoluluMarathon
November 19th, 2011, 06:10
shows up for me

hunterofpeace
November 19th, 2011, 07:22
Just ignore it, Merkypie. It'll get bored eventually. But you can continue to talk about it like it can't hear you, if that pleases you.

Merkypie
November 19th, 2011, 07:28
lol, I'm just amused at how witty the troll thinks it is.

HonoluluMarathon
November 19th, 2011, 08:41
not my fault if half the community here are so uptight they go apeshit over gaijin trying to beat the system

Merkypie
November 19th, 2011, 08:48
Get that paper, yo. 99% and all that.