PDA

View Full Version : Kodo

Alex
May 21st, 2004, 18:10
Hi everyone!

I'm just wondering if anybody else has seen the Kodo Drummers on their One Earth Tours....

I've seen them twice now and would love to know if anyone shares my opinion of how INCREDIBLY amazing they are! In fact, it's a dream of mine to be placed on Sado island (where their village is) - sadly I think the likelihood of that would be on par to being placed in the middle of Tokyo... ;-)

Alex

Gabriel
June 6th, 2004, 09:08
and just who, praytell, are the Kodo Drummers?

katharine
June 6th, 2004, 13:17
I think taiko drumming is REALLY cool. I'd love to learn someday, but it seems too high-power for a small person like me. Those drums are really big..

Gabriel
June 7th, 2004, 03:16
so these are those guys I've seen on TV who beath the huge drums on stage?

dobharrison
June 7th, 2004, 18:47
That's right. I saw some Kodo drummers once in Wales. It was so breathtaking! So much energy and movement!

zkac054
June 7th, 2004, 21:20
Nearly every town has a Taiko practice. If not then there will definitely be someplace nearby. There are smaller drums as well. So don't worry, I mean if Kindergarden/Elementary Students can play Taiko then I'm sure that anyone can!

tvanhorne
June 9th, 2004, 02:24
Yes! I've seen them in Kobe and Seattle. Beyond incredible. I think I forgot to breathe during Idaten.

I've also been to Sado ga shima about five years back. Took the ferry from the mainland, then bicycled to Kodo-mura. Very cool place! I got lucky--the drummers weren't there, so I got a tour from one of their American administrative staff. Too bad I couldn't meet the drummers, but if they were there I probably wouldn't have gotten the tour.

I'm really hoping to find a group to play taiko with when I get to Japan this year. I performed a bit when I was there last but my Japanese wasn't really good enough at the time to keep up with what was going on around me.