PDA

View Full Version : Criminal background record?

Lychee
November 17th, 2011, 09:37
So I am checking the fly out early box, which requires criminal background check and medical assessment before the interviews. The FBI website gives you a sheet to print off for your fingerprints... but I'm not sure if this is something I can do myself with an ink pad or if I have to go to a professional. I've never been fingerprinted before, luckily, and I don't know where I would go. A police station? I'm not sure how accurate it needs be, it seems like it'd be so easy to just do it yourself. o_o

The FBI website says
"If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at a law enforcement agency."

Does that mean, "if not, DIY!"?

Merkypie
November 17th, 2011, 09:41
You could do it your self since they provide the form needed to do it but its difficult. I tried and failed. I really suggest going to your local law enforcement to get it do, there's a high chance they'll have a digital finger printing station.

But you need to get the background check by January 30th and there's currently a 2 month wait, maybe more. The FBI guy told me back in October (the 17th, IIRC) that it was a 2 month turn around estimate. You're playing with fire so you better get it done now and not wait till you mail out your application.

Lychee
November 17th, 2011, 09:44
How did you fail? Just couldn't get them to look clear enough or they sent them back? I have everything ready to send out but if I can get out of having to go down to the police station it'd rock. Do they charge to fingerprint you?

asilverthread
November 17th, 2011, 10:01
Yes they do charge. It only cost me like $15.

Merkypie
November 17th, 2011, 10:02
I failed as in I got ink all over me, the paper and the table. Its too messy to do on your own.

They charged me $5 for my prints.

Lychee
November 17th, 2011, 10:51
hm that's not bad... might as well go in there and do it right.

alutemu
November 17th, 2011, 11:21
I went to my local sheriff's dept. with the form; they did it for free. Even gave me a wet-nap to clean off the ink afterwards. Just need to send it in now.

uthinkimlost?
November 17th, 2011, 11:31
Do NOT do it yourself. I paid for two copies because the lady recommended it, and it was worth it. The prints she took from me were FAR clearer than anything I had attempted myself. $15 a pop.

Be reasonably hydrated, too.

Lychee
November 17th, 2011, 12:34
Yeahhh not gonna try it myself, heh. sounds messy and possibly not even passable. Guess I'm hopping to the police station tomorrow!

lilyanphino
November 17th, 2011, 16:46
I had the worst time with fingerprints (all done by law enforcement people) and had to keep re-submitting my background check request up until I left. I would suggest to not only go to a law enforcement place for it, but to also try to get them done electronically.

Ini
November 18th, 2011, 13:05
I tried and failed.
??

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/40/4028/RIRWF00Z/posters/rambo-first-blood-1982.jpg

Now roll it over there.
Roll it over!
Press it on. - Not like that, it'll smear. Roll it over!
Put your hand on there, asshole, or l'll break it off!
Put it on there, dammit!

Merkypie
November 18th, 2011, 14:04
??

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/40/4028/RIRWF00Z/posters/rambo-first-blood-1982.jpg

Now roll it over there.
Roll it over!
Press it on. - Not like that, it'll smear. Roll it over!
Put your hand on there, asshole, or l'll break it off!
Put it on there, dammit!

Rambo? Nice.... :lol:

word
November 18th, 2011, 17:50
I did it myself. I'd had it done at the local police station, but the bimbo there f'ed it up like crazy, and I had this sheet full of blurry prints that I knew wouldn't fly when I sent 'em off. I bought a ink pad and tried it, but failed miserably the first time. Ink all over my hands, just like everyone else is saying.

Then, I bought a "gel" type ink pad, and got perfect results on my first try. They carry gel-type ink pads at most office supply stores. If the professionals turn out to be incompetent government employees like mine did, just do it yourself.

Edit - Hint: wrapping the fingerprinting sheet around a cylindrical object (say, a coffee can) will help you get awesome results.

mtreecorner
November 18th, 2011, 23:59
The FBI charged my credit card over a week ago... wonder if that means it is finally coming?

Anyhow... for anyone still wondering... get the prints/fbi background in NOW.

Merkypie
November 19th, 2011, 01:45
The FBI charged my credit card over a week ago... wonder if that means it is finally coming?

Anyhow... for anyone still wondering... get the prints/fbi background in NOW.

FBI charged mine yesterday.

I don't know, reading back from the FBI check threads from last year's JETs, it took either one to two weeks after being charged.

Also, agreed. Can't stress it enough about getting those FBI background checks done enough!

lemsip
November 19th, 2011, 01:55
UK applicants don't have the option of flying out early do they?

Merkypie
November 19th, 2011, 03:24
I don't think so... The official UK JET website should have that info...

Lychee
November 19th, 2011, 03:33
Sent mine in today.. the police station I went to didn't have the option to do it electronically, but the prints they took looked pretty clear... I think? Eep. Hope it was enough, there was another girl there who'd had to come back because they wouldn't accept hers. Well... worst case scenario I'm not eligible to leave early.

Kewne
November 27th, 2011, 07:44
I don't think so... The official UK JET website should have that info...

The official UK JET website, doesn't even mention that the pay went down this year. :rolleyes: It was in the application instructions for UK people, before anyone gets excited though.

It's correct that UK applicants don't have that option though.

Lianwen
November 28th, 2011, 10:28
Read more of the thread; guess this wouldn`t apply now, but still useful info for others.

How did you fail? Just couldn't get them to look clear enough or they sent them back? I have everything ready to send out but if I can get out of having to go down to the police station it'd rock. Do they charge to fingerprint you?

If you`re super pressed for time, you can do electronic finger printing at a police station that does them (usually in larger cities). I`m pretty sure you get almost instant results, as if the finger prints aren`t good they can redo them, and it goes instantly to the FBI and is already in their computers to check. However, it`ll run you at least 100$, but the nice part is you don`t have to worry about your prints being rejected.

agrilledfish
December 1st, 2011, 00:57
I went to my local police station with a fingerprint form I printed out from the FBI website (as per explicit instructions from my program coordinator) and paid $10 or so. The fingerprint technician seemed convinced that I had the wrong form. I was confused and tried to ask him what the right form was, but he said that we might as well try it. He said "I'll take your prints but don't blame me when they come back from the FBI rejected." Then he took my prints with a weary, defeated look on his face.

I sent the form to the FBI and got my background check back soon afterward with no problem.

hunterofpeace
December 1st, 2011, 01:37
When I mistakenly thought I had to have prints for the initial application last year, I had the same experience. They wanted me to buy the card from them, it seems.

Lychee
December 1st, 2011, 04:32
Ah I just got the card they had D: It had all the same info as the one I'd printed from the website so I figured I might as well. Ouch I didn't realize electronic fingerprints were so steep. Hope mine were good enough..

mtreecorner
December 1st, 2011, 04:58
Just to give everyone an idea.... I sent in my Background check stuff late September... My card was charge 2 weeks ago... still have not received the report.

Sent in my JET application today... Watch it arrive tomorrow.

Lychee
December 3rd, 2011, 08:58
yikes... at least your still technically fine.. you can send it separately 'til the end of January. I might be screwed on that one. sent mine out priority mail on the 17th. And I sent a money order so I wont even know when they cash it in. Sigh.

mtreecorner
December 5th, 2011, 10:57
yikes... at least your still technically fine.. you can send it separately 'til the end of January. I might be screwed on that one. sent mine out priority mail on the 17th. And I sent a money order so I wont even know when they cash it in. Sigh.

Update: Got my report Saturday... so its about 2 months +/- about a week it seems.

Lychee
December 9th, 2011, 01:51
maybe there's hope for me yet :)

asilverthread
December 28th, 2011, 09:40
I just got mine in today, after sending it off in like mid October.

Lychee
January 1st, 2012, 08:13
hmm I'm cutting it close. I am supposed to fly to Singapore in June for my dad's wedding so I honestly would much rather be in the normal group anyway.. but it seams it would really increase chances of getting in to do early arrival.