PDA

View Full Version : Questions about some Companies

LameRobot
November 18th, 2011, 04:22
Hey everyone,

I'm so happy to have come across this website. I've been reading pretty extensively for the past month or so, and finally joined now that I have started making some progress with my ALT applications. First, I just thought I'd share where I'm at in the process:
Interac: Passed phone interview this week - seminar this weekend (so lucky!)
ALTIA Central: Tentative interview with main recruiter when he is in my city first weekend of Dec if an interview cancels last minute, otherwise meeting with a screener the following weekend.
Borderlink: Skype interview yesterday - was told 2nd interview wouldn't be necessary, so I'll receive a decision by the end of next week
RCS: Applied, and contacted to set up an interview, but I haven't responded yet.
So, that brings me to why I'm putting up this post. I'll be happy if I get a job offering from Interac or ALTIA, but I'm a little iffy on the other two. I've read some negative info on Borderlink, but some positive ones as well. However, I have only read negative info on RCS, but it's all from 4-6 years ago. Does anyone have recent experience/stories about Borderlink or RCS?
Thank you so much in advance for the advice! I'm really looking forward to finding an ALT position.
~Robot

Ini
November 18th, 2011, 10:21
Interac, ALTIA, Borderlink, RCS? are you allergic to money or something?

LameRobot
November 18th, 2011, 12:14
No. I don't want to wait around for a year for JET's lengthy process, and have a greater chance of not being accepted. I'm trying other companies to keep my options open. It's not like JET pays that much more anyways.

Ini
November 18th, 2011, 12:52
yes, why wait a year to be moderately poor when you can jump into being really poor straight away!

Jojo
November 18th, 2011, 15:22
ah don't listen to him, I've survived 3 years

Tyr
November 18th, 2011, 18:54
No. I don't want to wait around for a year for JET's lengthy process, and have a greater chance of not being accepted. I'm trying other companies to keep my options open. It's not like JET pays that much more anyways.

200,000 vs. 300,000.
That's a pretty significant increase.

lexa1010
November 18th, 2011, 21:23
I had some recent contact with borderlink, very slow in responding and they kept delaying interviews as well as calling me twice at the wrong time! (which I could never be prepared for since it would always be in the middle of the night here!)

I eventually gave up since I have already been hired by pkc but that's my two cents.

LameRobot
November 18th, 2011, 21:32
Tyr, from what I've read it's 250,000 vs. 280,000. Where did you get that info? Have you worked for one of these companies?
Thank you lexa, for actually responding to the topic I posted about: p
They've been pretty on track with me so far, but we'll see. I haven't heard of pkc. Is taught an ALT dispatch or eikaiwa?

uthinkimlost?
November 18th, 2011, 21:35
Tyr, from what I've read it's 250,000 vs. 280,000. Where did you get that info? Have you worked for one of these companies?
Thank you lexa, for actually responding to the topic I posted about: p
They've been pretty on track with me so far, but we'll see. I haven't heard of pkc. Is taught an ALT dispatch or eikaiwa?

That ain't the take home. You will likely have 200000 at best. Still livable, and you might work on the side.

LameRobot
November 18th, 2011, 21:45
That ain't the take home. You will likely have 200000 at best. Still livable, and you might work on the side.
Right, forgot about that :p But 200,000 vs. 230,000 sounds more accurate? It's not like I'm planning to stick with one job my whole life; I'm just trying to find something entry level to get there and work a while until I can find a more suitable job. Plus, I'll be in a dual income household, so I'll be fine in that regard. I'm just trying to find out which other companies have a decent rep these days :p

lexa1010
November 18th, 2011, 22:49
PKC is peppy kids club, they're an Eikawa who pay 250,000 salary, the take home is about 1,500 pounds at the start. They're very good, they sent me a whole table of pay dates and exact amount of tax/rent/medical/pension payments.

I'm pretty happy with the salary since I don't get paid anywhere near that hear in the UK! And I'm too impatient to apply with JET since I want to get out there asap!

LameRobot
November 19th, 2011, 00:42
I'm pretty happy with the salary since I don't get paid anywhere near that hear in the UK! And I'm too impatient to apply with JET since I want to get out there asap!

Same here. I get paid about half that, and I work what should be a decent job :p I'll still go for JET, but I'm hoping I'll have an offer before that, so I'm not focusing on future propositions as much. I guess I have an ASAP attitude as well!

lexa1010
November 19th, 2011, 00:52
Yeah the unemployment here in the UK is staggering, especially where I am in England! I've always wanted to go to Japan but continuously put it off, I knew if I didn't do it now and quickly I'll never do it! I'll stay in my cushy flat and job forever. -.-

Gizmotech
November 22nd, 2011, 12:19
Take home on JET currently is about 260,000 after pension and health care. Subtract another 10% for the new JET salary, then another 10% for taxes and you have your take home for a new JET next year.

Small perks that go along with JET that sorta add up:
Subsidized housing (not always, but usually)
Full health coverage
Airfare paid for (both ways if you don't quit)

Merkypie
November 23rd, 2011, 04:31
And even then its a crapshoot on how lucky you get. The incentives of going with JET over a privatized company is getting smaller and smaller....

... I was also under the assumption that Interac was offering the government health insurance this year due to some new laws or something like that?

Gizmotech
November 24th, 2011, 09:44
And even then its a crapshoot on how lucky you get. The incentives of going with JET over a privatized company is getting smaller and smaller....

... I was also under the assumption that Interac was offering the government health insurance this year due to some new laws or something like that?

What? You mean interact finally got in trouble for working their employees just under the full time hour time (but mandating the overtime). That's how they were getting around the requirement to have employees pay into national health care before. (Healthcare comes out of your salary as a big chunk :P)

Merkypie
November 24th, 2011, 10:03
What? You mean interact finally got in trouble for working their employees just under the full time hour time (but mandating the overtime). That's how they were getting around the requirement to have employees pay into national health care before. (Healthcare comes out of your salary as a big chunk :P)

From the materials I got, yeah, they're now enrolling employees into the government health care. They also offered their own insurance but yeah.

I could have read that stuff wrong though. But from the looks of it, I doubt it.

Jojo
November 24th, 2011, 19:02
Since 2009 Interac have offered either the company health insurance (5-7000 a month - you pay upfront and are reimbursed 100%) or the government plan (cheap for the first year but much more expensive after - minimal upfront costs for most things)

LostInTranslation
November 30th, 2011, 02:01
This is better than the company that hired me to work. I was told that I would be paid per lesson and that I "shouldn't worry" about the legal minimum requirement for sponsoring a visa or other labor laws. They advised me to not file taxes and later threatened to deport me when I pointed out they were violating the terms of their agreement. I've since resigned and started a new position.

Laevatienn
November 30th, 2011, 06:10
From the materials I got, yeah, they're now enrolling employees into the government health care. They also offered their own insurance but yeah.

I could have read that stuff wrong though. But from the looks of it, I doubt it.

There are in fact three insurance options for Interac. The first is the most famous InterGlobal Health Care. This is where most misconceptions come from. Interac offers InterGlobal for candidates that are sure they will only be in Japan for less than a year. Reason being, it is illegal to have it more than a year.

The main insurance Interac uses is Kokumin Hoken. This is the national health care service. It is about 9000-15000 yen a month.

The one everybody thinks is awesome, great and special is Shakai Hoken. Shakai Hoken is not Health Insurance. Shakai Hoken is Health Insurance + Pension plan. There is a big difference. Much like Pension plans in the US and UK, you cannot collect the full amount you put in if you withdraw "early". It is a pain to get back some of what you put into the pension plan and one of my friends fought for about two months to get about a third of what she paid back. Shakai Hoken is around 26000-32000 a month depending on how much you make (230000-260000).

I understand why Interac goes for Kokumin. It does not make sense to pay into a pension plan that you cannot take advantage of. I enjoyed my time with Interac enough to say that I would go with them again if I ever wanted to be an ALT again. The salary thing is a number game, in the end you get about the same amount out of it after expenses with the better companies. JET does pay better but the process and limits plus the housing is a little much for me... (Housing is basically eternally rented by JET so that is why you don't have to pay key money). I liked my little Leopalace too much...

Jojo
November 30th, 2011, 06:55
There are in fact three insurance options for Interac. Reason being, it is illegal to have it more than a year.

No. There was talk of this but the government changed their mind. It's simply recommended its not illegal.

Laevatienn
December 2nd, 2011, 06:33
No. There was talk of this but the government changed their mind. It's simply recommended its not illegal.

I was referring to InterGlobal Health Care with that statement. In 2006, the government decided private companies were too much of a drain on the system and cut them off after a year when an ALT was no longer considered a guest. That's the gist of it. Technically speaking, you're right, the law was technically already in place and all it said was people needed health insurance. The interpretation of the law changed when ALTs started to boom even more and became more of a hole in the boat rather than a tiny crack. Funny what money can change.