PDA

View Full Version : Teaching in Georgia

Paper Moon
December 4th, 2011, 20:21
I searched through this forum and was not able to find anything about teaching in Georgia.

I found this program through GreenHeart Travel in which one can teach in Georgia. It has some benefits that areThe round-trip airfare is covered and, though you aren't paid a salary, you live with a host family and are given a stipend to live on.

Here's the link to their website: http://www.cci-exchange.com/teach/georgia.aspx (http://www.cci-exchange.com/teach/georgia.aspx)

This is what is listed on the website:Benefits:

A pre-paid round trip flight to the Republic of Georgia
An additional round trip flight and 24 days of paid vacation during winter or summer break (for one year/two full semester contracts only - see Teaching Term Options (file:///uploadedFiles/Teaching%20Term%20Options%20-%20Georgia.pdf))
Host family accommodation and meals
National Georgian medical insurance
$500 Lari (approximately USD$275) monthly stipend*
Step-by-step guidance and support throughout application process, including pre-departure orientation
One week orientation in the capital city of T'bilisi, including Georgian language, culture, history instruction, and basic ESL training/teaching methodology
No program fee. Optional additional travel insurance can be purchased through Greenheart Travel
A TEFL Certificate course (http://www.cci-exchange.com/greenhearttravel/tefl.aspx)is offered through Greenheart Travel at a discount for those who are interested in earning a TEFL certification prior to departure for Georgia.
Visa assistance is provided to volunteers by the Ministry of Education upon arrival
A complete immersion experience in a country rich in beauty, history and culture
*Volunteers pay 100 Lari per month (~$55 USD) to their host family to help cover the expenses of their food and utilities

Plus, if my mother protests, then I can always say, "But Mom, I'll just be in Georgia!" (Which is only funny given that I live a few hours drive from the US state- also called Georgia)

It seems too good to be true, and I know that things which seem too good to be true often are... So, I was wondering if anyone else has heard about this programme?

Lianwen
December 4th, 2011, 21:15
It's an okay program if you're not looking to earn any money for savings/loans. Sounds like a good gap year. I think I did know someone who did this though. Emphasis on did. I haven't heard from him in ages, so I have no clue if he's even alive.

Paper Moon
December 4th, 2011, 21:56
Haha :lol: Well, Georgia has been having some issues with Russia, so I suppose there is always the chance that I will kidnapped by the Russian government with the charge of being an American spy... but that is to be expected.

If I have to die, then I would prefer it at least be in an interesting way in another country.

I just have never heard of this programme, but it seems to actually be connected directly with the Georgian government- which is good. I suppose I'll write directly to the Georgian embassy in my country and ask them their opinion of the programme.

I guess one thing that I am kind of skeptical about is the fact that this organization also works with the Disney-China company and I have heard sketchy things about that.

Tyr
December 5th, 2011, 09:28
heh, this was discussed on another forum a few months back. It does indeed look....risky.
Maybe I'm just being a bit of a racist but I've heard bad things about that area.
And of course the sucky pay. And learning Georgian isn't exactly something useful.

jwkelley
December 6th, 2011, 14:28
Looked into that a while back, if you want an interesting experience go for it. The company seem reputable from what i could gather.

Plus if you are looking for a government job after college i definitely think there will be a lot more Japanese then goergian speakers. Might actually give you an up.

mteacher80
December 6th, 2011, 20:25
SUMOBOY (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/members/sumoboy.html) This guy worked in Georiga after Japan (before japan??) and while he has not posted on here in ages he still occasionally posts on Japanistan. I bet he could give you some good info.

mteacher80
December 6th, 2011, 20:27
...nope i was wrong, it was Hungary, but thats pretty much the same isn't it??

lexa1010
December 16th, 2011, 04:35
Oh dear Lord, I'm frightened for myself... I've never heard of Georgia

uthinkimlost?
December 16th, 2011, 07:34
Oh dear Lord, I'm frightened for myself... I've never heard of Georgia

:|

Ini
December 16th, 2011, 08:40
you've not heard of a country that went to war with russia only 3 years ago? I'm guessing you failed your general studies A-level?

lexa1010
December 16th, 2011, 12:59
A levels?! General Studies?! 3 years ago?! That explains everything. I was in the middle of my degree getting wasted.

Ini
December 16th, 2011, 13:21
you didnt have a tv in university? what sort of mickey mouse education did you get if you couldn't watch countdown and bargin hunt everyday?

Merkypie
December 16th, 2011, 14:36
they broke through the beijing olympics to bring that news in wtf

hunterofpeace
December 16th, 2011, 16:43
I was in the middle of my degree getting wasted.

getting wasted.

That explains everything.

Yup.

lexa1010
December 16th, 2011, 21:08
:D

uthinkimlost?
December 16th, 2011, 21:57
Don't smile too much; they teach geography in elementary school. Wasted then too?

Ini
December 16th, 2011, 22:08
I think we now know why lexa1010 is posting to the alternatives to jet forum....

lexa1010
December 17th, 2011, 03:59
Oh dear, I can't even make fun of myself! :rolleyes:

greengoo
January 11th, 2012, 14:12
Just take the beatings and smile. Eventually you'll become a productive member of society and start dishing them out.

Or you'll be the new LGJ. But at least then you get an award.

lexa1010
January 12th, 2012, 04:09
Just take the beatings and smile. Eventually you'll become a productive member of society and start dishing them out.

Or you'll be the new LGJ. But at least then you get an award.

Will do, thanks!

Paper Moon
January 24th, 2012, 12:25
Thanks to everyone who provided input. I will definitely look into this programme if JET does not work out.