PDA

View Full Version : whats the dealy with the jet books?

Tyr
December 21st, 2011, 10:43
They suck of course.

But more than that- how do you find out your score from their tests? The romanji annoyed and confused me so much I just guessed the first one and I'm curious about whether I got some right.
I've just got book 3 and no sign of any scores yet.

uthinkimlost?
December 21st, 2011, 10:45
You're still doing that sh**?

*Romaji.

Antonath
December 21st, 2011, 10:55
Did you send in your answers? You only get the scores if you send in your test on time, I think. Something like that.

If it's the same books as last year, I have all the answers.

Edit: God, I feel old (or something). I have the answers from 2009/10, not 2010/11...

Ini
December 21st, 2011, 11:04
You should have seen the rubbish they used to use if you think these ones are bad.

lilyanphino
December 21st, 2011, 17:21
I haven't gotten my results either. I am also still doing it because working on it actually motivates me to study grammar.

MixedNuts
December 21st, 2011, 18:27
What types of dialogues and topics are being covered in the books these days?

uthinkimlost?
December 21st, 2011, 18:31
Usual crap, ALT-sensei going about his daily life. That part isn't bad, but there isn't enough explanation for the shiz they touch on. Every 'day' doesn't properly feed the next, etc.

Minna no Nihongo is what I've shifted to.

coop52
December 22nd, 2011, 08:13
I was always amused by the little elementary kids using so much keigo.

MJN
December 22nd, 2011, 15:39
Guys, lets colaberate JET tests answers. No one likes it, may as well cheat the system and get a free [if useless] certificate.

Cytrix
December 22nd, 2011, 16:24
If you do the test online you get the results as soon as you click 'submit'. It's either a circle for 'yay' or some other random shape for 'LOL NO'

lilyanphino
December 22nd, 2011, 16:40
Guys, lets colaberate JET tests answers. No one likes it, may as well cheat the system and get a free [if useless] certificate.

Meh, I don't care either way, but yay for useless certificates!

Tyr
December 22nd, 2011, 18:18
You're still doing that sh**?

*Romaji.

Not really, got annoyed with it halfway through the first, skipped to the end and have barely looked at them beyond that.

jwkelley
January 13th, 2012, 11:11
Would it really of killed them to release one with furigami and kanji and one without. At last an an option. Even if there word frequency sucks it still would of been nice to have the exposer at least.

The course is helping me at least organize the random unoragnized studying i have done outside. but the damn romanji is just eating away at my already extremely limited japanese reading skill.

Eudox
January 13th, 2012, 11:41
Ignoring other problems with that post, for the sanity of the people around you could you please make sure you never say "would of" ever again. Thank you.

Teishou
January 14th, 2012, 04:21
Furigana*, too, kthx.

Do they have upper-level to advanced study material available as well, or just beginner to intermediate learning?

lilyanphino
January 14th, 2012, 13:57
They have intermediate and advanced. The intermediate level uses furigana and kanji and I actually am learning some stuff from it.

coop52
January 16th, 2012, 14:58
Advanced is completely in Japanese; I 'm pretty sure there's furigana on most of the kanji. There are dialogue translations in the back of the books, but they're pretty bad if I remember correctly. I didn't really pay much attention since I stopped using them after Book 3 or so when they started having essay questions on the tests.

Eudox
January 16th, 2012, 15:05
Advanced is completely in Japanese; I 'm pretty sure there's furigana on most of the kanji. There are dialogue translations in the back of the books, but they're pretty bad if I remember correctly. I didn't really pay much attention since I stopped using them after Book 3 or so when they started having essay questions on the tests.

Just got book 4 of advanced today... even though I haven't opened any of the books since the first week of book 1. There's still furigana on all of the kanjis. I find it strange that they will teach multiple grammar points as a single point (an example in this book would be ~たら, かえって~), when really they are seperate but work well together at times.

Lego
January 17th, 2012, 03:54
They're not jets and they're not books!

CUPS
February 15th, 2012, 10:41
How did everyone get on with February's beginner level test?

jwkelley
February 15th, 2012, 16:56
Ignoring other problems with that post, for the sanity of the people around you could you please make sure you never say "would of" ever again. Thank you.

Sure

cranguy
June 12th, 2012, 14:29
Furigana*, too, kthx.

Do they have upper-level to advanced study material available as well, or just beginner to intermediate learning?
There's beginner, intermediate, advanced, and also two courses beyond the advanced level: a translation course and a pedagogy course. In order to take either of these, you need to pass a qualifying exam and attend occasional lectures (may require un-reimbursed travel outside of your prefecture)

More info here:
The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme (http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/course/jet_english_data/course_index.html)

carolgreen186
September 10th, 2012, 10:17
If it's the same books as last year, I have all the answers.

eclipse0279
December 9th, 2012, 21:27
Too bad I spent the last month playing Black Ops 2 and Assassin's Creed 3, guess I should open up my Beginners Book 1...LOL