PDA

View Full Version : Do you think interviews will still be held in mid-February?

gaspar
January 5th, 2012, 01:33
I'm curious if people think the mid-February timeline for interviews will hold with the announcement of who gets interviews not happening until late-January / early-February. The only thing I can find on the JET website says "Interviews are generally held in mid-February (although this is subject to change)." With the application deadline being pushed back, I'm a little worried that the interviews might as well. Obviously, I don't even have an interview yet, but I do have an out-of-state trip planned from the end of Feb through the beginning of March. I really don't want to pass up the trip but I also don't want to be away if I am given an interview.

Thoughts?

Merkypie
January 5th, 2012, 02:19
It has to be in Feb because of Early Departure notifications are in March. Denver's consulate already has their interview dates up in case you're wondering.

gaspar
January 5th, 2012, 03:47
Thanks for the info! I guess I'll still have to wait and see...those first dates would work fine, but the 28th, not so much.

Silhouette
January 5th, 2012, 06:52
Man, I hope they're a little delayed because my Jap skills aren't as good as I put on the application. Been too busy to practice but I plan to make up for lost time, damnit

greengoo
January 5th, 2012, 23:14
Silouette, two items:

1) Make sure you bring them up to snuff. I gave an honest, if generous impression of my skills at j-go on my exam, and they sure as hell tested it. I had a good 3-4 minute rapid fire interview portion entirely in japanese. Be prepared.

2) Careful how you abbreviate. Here it's no big deal, but you'll find certain shorthand isn't as acceptable everywhere else : )

dvae
January 6th, 2012, 06:34
Silouette, two items:

1) Make sure you bring them up to snuff. I gave an honest, if generous impression of my skills at j-go on my exam, and they sure as hell tested it. I had a good 3-4 minute rapid fire interview portion entirely in japanese. Be prepared.

Can any current UK ALT's confirm that this could happen in the interview?

I think I put down elementary for my proficiency but I've let it slip a little over the last month or so.

Page
January 6th, 2012, 09:46
Dvae it really depends on your panel, this isn't a set thing. The first time I got in they never asked me a single thing about Japanese. The second time they had the Japanese guy chat with me for about 5 minutes about random sht. I would think they'd be more likely to do this with someone who claims inter+ levels.

Gezora
January 6th, 2012, 19:59
2) Careful how you abbreviate. Here it's no big deal, but you'll find certain shorthand isn't as acceptable everywhere else : )
Lol. But actually I read somewhere that that expression isn't viewed as offensively in the UK.

Kewne
January 7th, 2012, 09:19
Lol. But actually I read somewhere that that expression isn't viewed as offensively in the UK.

It's not viewed as offensively here in the UK. It's also common to still hear people use oriental, which I've heard is offensive elsewhere. Maybe because when you hear asian here, it's often taken to mean Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, or others who are from nearby ethnic groups.

Still it's good to be aware of these things, especially when working abroad. You never know who'll take offence.

Can any current UK ALT's confirm that this could happen in the interview?

Not a current ALT, but in my previous interview I wasn't tested. I did claim to be a beginner though. I've heard of others been tested.

Juulz
January 7th, 2012, 12:42
I would guess that the interviews wouldn't be pushed back. Last year the US interview announcement was really late because of the massive amount of snow on the east coast where the embassy was reviewing applications. There was very little time between interview announcements and the actual interview.

Merkypie
January 7th, 2012, 14:38
Well, miami_coordinator popped on the official forums and said for the US Applicants

We aim for mid-January, but given that this year's deadline was so late, it could be later. At this point, we're still aiming for announcements to go out in January.

EDIT: I'll add on that I'm not sure what the countries other than the U.S. will be doing. Also, for the U.S. at least, we typically send out notifications via email. I believe that most other countries do as well, but some may still be sending out letters.

Though, I have a feeling its going to be in early Feb. People who got there's in on the 2nd of Dec still haven't received their SASE yet.

scimredopyh
January 7th, 2012, 18:19
So we'll receive an e-mail saying we've been accepted for an interview or not?

atheistwithfaith
January 7th, 2012, 19:23

I didn't even know it was an offensive term until I came to Japan and American JETs were like "OMG you can't say that!". The whole thing with Jap being offensive seems to come out of the anti-Japanese propaganda/internment after Pearl Harbour. Something for which there wasn't an equivalent in the UK.

I think most people in the UK see the word Jap as simply being a short / somewhat endearing diminutive of Japanese, in the same way we say Aussie / Oz regarding Australia.

Cytrix
January 8th, 2012, 00:12

You Americans get a PDF where you have to scroll through to find your number and then freak out thinking it wasn't on there and you got rejected, but really you just skipped over it because there are hundreds of numbers

Us Kiwis get lovely personalised emails sent to us informing of that we have an interview. TROLOLOLOL

greengoo
January 8th, 2012, 02:42
The second time they had the Japanese guy chat with me for about 5 minutes about random sht. I would think they'd be more likely to do this with someone who claims inter+ levels.

One of my interviewers was a TWELVE-YEAR (!) CIR (he was hired by the city direct after 3 years). He grilled me for a solid 3-4 minutes. It was rather unnerving. I put down "Intermediate" as my ability, for what it's worth.

If someone isn't smart enough to use Ctrl/⌘+F then they don't deserve an interview.

This.

lilyanphino
January 8th, 2012, 06:46

Depending on your consulate, you might get a personalized email besides just a confirmation number. Nashville sent out stuff to people individually, but I don't know how many other U.S. consulates do that too.

greengoo
January 8th, 2012, 17:48
I got an email saying I had an interview from my actual consulate, then I also got the national email listing all the ID numbers that got interviews.

Even Soiled Italians Die.

hunterofpeace
January 9th, 2012, 02:22
I never got a letter or email, I just randomly decided to check and see if the list was up yet and it was. Checked it and my number wasn't on there.

Silhouette
January 9th, 2012, 05:25
Careful how you abbreviate. Here it's no big deal, but you'll find certain shorthand isn't as acceptable everywhere else : )

Totally this, no malice intended. I didn't realise I'd written it to be honest, cheers for the heads up though. Suppose it's the same as abreviating Pakistani to Paki here, bit of a no no.

Gizmotech
January 10th, 2012, 14:02
I'll chime in. I put some BS low-mid for my Japanese, then near the end of the interview the Japanese guy asked me if I could converse with him in Japanese and I said in Japanese sure, but it's a little rusty. I haven't practiced in over a year. No more questions after that... little did he know that was the only Japanese I had practiced in probably 2 years at at that point :P *bullet dodged*

Teishou
January 10th, 2012, 14:41
lol Nice one. I was stupid and put semi-advanced. :< I thought I was before I witnessed the horror of the LA and Boston career forums...

Ecureuil
January 11th, 2012, 03:29
Well, there's at least one in January.. Just found out that I've got mine on the 23rd :D
So nervous opening that letter haha. Am I really the first to hear about this?

Teishou
January 11th, 2012, 07:33
You're UK right, Squirrel? :<

Gizmotech
January 11th, 2012, 08:19
I don't see a reason for things to be delayed this year. Last year was a unique experience that I doubt will be repeated again any time soon.

Teishou
January 11th, 2012, 09:50
Hopefully, it won't.

Ecureuil
January 11th, 2012, 20:12
I am, yeah

kiwigoose
January 13th, 2012, 15:46
NZ interviews are confirmed as 2nd and 3rd week of feb.

TheDoctor
January 19th, 2012, 16:37
hoping that its late Feb. as it has been for FL the past 2 years. Otherwise i will have to change my flight ticket to return home sooner.

Merkypie
January 19th, 2012, 18:25
I honestly don't care when. As long as I get the interview.

lexa1010
January 19th, 2012, 21:32
One of my close friends is applying for Jet too (uk) so I'll post if he gets his interview! I'm rooting for you all!

Merrick
January 20th, 2012, 00:53
Someone only just received their SASE day before yesterday, so they're (presumably) still sending them out. Makes me wonder just how many people sent their apps in the day of if they're still not reaching the end of the pile yet.

Merkypie
January 20th, 2012, 01:33
Well, there goes that theory on less people this year cause of Earthquake.

I will say that they've had about a month's lesser time to process these applications compared to the last few years. So, in actuality, it may just seem like there's a lot because of the timeline crunch and the amount of applicants in such a small window. If Miami coordinator's right on this, and they manage to get the results out next week, then its all a matter of SASEs getting lost in the mail or were just sent out as the results were posted.

Doodlebug
January 20th, 2012, 01:50
I didnt send them a SASE. you think this matters?

Merrick
January 20th, 2012, 01:51
Well, there goes that theory on less people this year cause of Earthquake.

I will say that they've had about a month's lesser time to process these applications compared to the last few years. So, in actuality, it may just seem like there's a lot because of the timeline crunch and the amount of applicants in such a small window. If Miami coordinator's right on this, and they manage to get the results out next week, then its all a matter of SASEs getting lost in the mail or were just sent out as the results were posted.

Did Miami really say next week? Damn, I missed that. This could lighten my mood immensely. Also, I'd been wondering about the crazy constant delays for this year- is a few days shy of a month the usual time frame for completion of the application or are we just special this go around? I couldn't believe we only had a month for all that paperwork.

Merkypie
January 20th, 2012, 04:14
Miami was more like, " hey, we're aiming for mid jan. " And mid jan is like now through next week.

Yeah, IA. Though, I looked back on the application from last year and it looks like the applicants for the 2011 application had less than a month to get everything in. Apparently it went live on the 25th of October and everything needed to be in by November 18th (http://web.archive.org/web/20101021073937/http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/application.html).

Maybe pushing things to the wire is normal with the US application?

But then again, they always keep the required paperwork information online all year round so they probably just assume that those kids that really want to apply will probably be working on getting those documents way before the application goes live. The supplementary material did go online at least a month before the application this year...

mtreecorner
January 20th, 2012, 09:57
Mine got there Dec 2nd afternoon and I got my SASE last weekend.... so I think they are close to finished with the SASE's.

That should mean they have at last processed most if not all of the apps.

Probably running the numbers through a giant computer machine as we speak. Then random numbers come out as a pdf.

Teishou
January 20th, 2012, 10:39
Ooo...giant comp machine... Vacuum tubes.

Merrick
January 20th, 2012, 11:22
Oct 25th-Nov 18th???? I don't think I would've been able to make that if it had been the same this go around. Mostly because I had to bounce between two cities three hours apart in order to gather all the paperwork I needed to get from people who are extremely hard to nail down.

Mine got in on Dec. 1st and is postmarked Dec. 16th, so I really think the brunt of these apps had to have arrived on the deadline. I really hope they don't take their sweet time posting the results once they're done mailing stuff out because I think I'd just :073:

Kittens
January 20th, 2012, 11:38
I didn't even start on my app until November 1st and got it in before the 18th during last year's application process. It can be done.

Good luck for those waiting in limbo right now, I remember this time being the worst part!

Steffan
January 20th, 2012, 11:58
Silouette, two items:

Hey. A few days ago, I received confirmation that I have an interview.

For someone who has listed their proficiency in Japanese speaking and listening as introductory, would they expect the same thing? (i.e 3-4 minutes of the interview in Japanese)

What level of Japanese d'you think would they expect to be 'introductory'?

Thanks

bananallanah
January 20th, 2012, 12:21
Congrats! You should update your details on the official 2012 applicants thread in the 'Applying for JET' section.
Good luck with the practicing for the interview!
Also I put my Japanese skills as beginner/introductory, I'm not sure that they expect us language noobs to do a proficient test, though I'm basing this on NZ knowledge :)

uthinkimlost?
January 20th, 2012, 13:17
Hey. A few days ago, I received confirmation that I have an interview.

For someone who has listed their proficiency in Japanese speaking and listening as introductory, would they expect the same thing? (i.e 3-4 minutes of the interview in Japanese)

What level of Japanese d'you think would they expect to be 'introductory'?

Thanks

They will ask about it. Be honest if you can't string together a sentence properly, but understand what is said to you, etc etc.

Gizmotech
January 20th, 2012, 13:27
They will ask about it. Be honest if you can't string together a sentence properly, but understand what is said to you, etc etc.

uthink is right... They'll likely bring it up, but they're also likely to dismiss it at that point to as they don't really care if you can say KAWAII and UMAII like a boss (I mean that's the only thing you should learn from J-TV), they care if you can actually communicate.

dialogue
January 20th, 2012, 15:18
Three or four minutes of Japanese conversation seems damn excessive for introductory level. They might ask you a question or two.

MJN
January 20th, 2012, 15:26
Learning and understand a phrase like "Chotto dekimasu" will probably go a long way, based on the assumption they're going to ask "Do you understand" or "Can you speak Japanese".

Steffan
January 21st, 2012, 03:20
Thanks guys. This information is really helpful. I'll try to learn as much as I can before the interview, and I'll be realistic about my current proficiency.