PDA

View Full Version : nervous?

professor_chimpenstein
May 21st, 2004, 22:23
I have issues with flyin on planes for just a few hours and am obviousley concerned with the old 12 hour mission to Japan. So I was just wonderin am I the only one who is a wee bit nervous about the flight?

Chimp

r_a_y
May 21st, 2004, 23:29
I've only been on a plane once, but really i'm not worried. It should be fun. Lots of other JETs to talk to. Though i do hope i'm not stuck in some tiny window seat, cause i'm not a small guy, and that would suck.

Oh yeah, and 12 hours? you're lucky. it's 18 for me.

dobharrison
May 21st, 2004, 23:56
It's not so bad, Prof. Just bring lots of things to read, a Discman, some games to play, etc.

I find the worst thing for me is the dry atmosphere, which causes the inside of my nose to dry out and irritate me! Is this normal?

Lesley
May 22nd, 2004, 00:02
I've only flown a couple of times in my life and from what I remember I was fine with being in the air. I'm really nervous about the taking off and landing part of the flight though. I don't like the idea of the plane tilting.

I plan to bring lots of sweets to suck so I'll be calmer and my ears won't pop on the way up/down (my friend's advice). I'm not sure whether this tactic will work but I figure that any plan involving sweets has got to be a good one... :?

Dave
May 22nd, 2004, 00:27
The aeroplane's the best bit! I love flying...I even love airline meals! :D
I'm all excited just thinking about it! :D

downonrodeo
May 22nd, 2004, 00:38
Except for fun old take-off, planes are an uncomfortable bore when you've flown lots and lots. But I am nervous about the flight, and one down to Sydney a month before it, becuase the last two times I've flown I've had horrendous sinus-related pain on every inch of decent. People who've suffered it know what I'm talking about.

downonrodeo
May 22nd, 2004, 01:17
, it sucks to be tall (i'm 6ft 4). I'll be wanting the aisle seat - so if you're in my aisle seat, prepare for a war! :twisted:
Yeah I usually ask for the emergency exit seat (more leg room) or the middle row seats in front fo the screen (again, leg room), but I guess on this flight I'll be fighting for it!

Dynamis
May 22nd, 2004, 01:27
Yeah I usually ask for the emergency exit seat (more leg room) or the middle row seats in front fo the screen (again, leg room), but I guess on this flight I'll be fighting for it!

The screen seat is MINE. Take it and you're entering a World of Pain. A World of Pain!

Matt

Beq
May 22nd, 2004, 08:55
I've had horrendous sinus-related pain on every inch of decent.

I've flown a lot in my life. I get this type of pain when I have ear infections, which you get a lot, living in the tropics, especially in Summer. For those who do think they'll get get this type of pain, bring some lollies to chew on. Minties are best, as the airlines don't like you taking gum on board. The chewing motion is better than sucking (no dirty remarks, thank you!), as it also helps you equalise the pressure in your ears. So, try something like minties or starbursts over barley sugars or other boiled lollies. It's worst on ascent and descent, so you won't need to be chowing through lollies the whole trip, honest!

And as for seating, after being stuck in the smallest seat on the plane on my last trip to Bali (the one at the back, in the corner, without a window), I am also going to fight tooth and nail for that precious aisle seat. Plus, no climbing over anyone to go to the toilets!

Lesley: just try distracting yourself during take-off. I'm sure that won't be a problem with meeting all the new JETs around you!

And my nose doesn't dry out, my face does. Now I just travel with a little container of moisturiser, and don't wear makeup. The air con on planes will dry your skin out very quickly, and make it itch like crazy. Most airlines even have little bottles of moisturiser in the toilets just for this occasion, but it's usually crappy stuff, and someone has usually left the top off and knocked it in the sink...

Shotokai
May 22nd, 2004, 19:13
My long haul flight experience was to Tobago. it was good on the whole, some good films on the screens, food was nice. but it can get very boring and I did find it impossible to sleep.

Bring some books and card games or something similar. also moisturiser as the recirculated air is very drying for lips and nose and face in general. I know a bloke saying about moisturiser seems odd, but seriously all conatations aside it is worth it. Also don't forget the half an aspirin for avoiding DVT. excersising the legs would help as the blood is moved back up the legs by muscles in the leg.

yabighoor
May 23rd, 2004, 00:07
Here come the flight socks...woohoo!!

Chiara
May 23rd, 2004, 02:01
mmm gotta love the flightsocks!

i packed mine by accident when i went to milan a few weeks ago, thinking that they were just a pair of black socks. i had to wear them one day because i didnt have any others...all scrunched down...attractive or what!

adammoogle
May 23rd, 2004, 02:15
is korea famous for its kittens then?

and am i the only one who keeps those little plane bags u get, mine had a blindfold, some socks, and a neat fold out tooth brush, maybe some other stuff but i was most excited by those!

NSboarderchic
May 23rd, 2004, 03:32
I LOVE taking international flights! Those bags are great, and one time I didn't have any clean socks and had to wear those to work. hehe. Surprisingly comfortable.

Hey Prof. Chimp! There are 2 good options for the flight to be better:

1. Stay up all night the night before and have such a nasty hangover that you'll want to sleep anywhere.

2. Get your hands on some valium (thank goodness my friend got some when she hurt her back boarding last season). Failing that, I found melatonin (sp?) works well too. Then knock yourself out for most of the flight.

Oh... and for all you aisle-loving people, I want the window seat, so please sit with me!

Canuck
May 23rd, 2004, 03:44
I want a window seat, too!

I'm not too nervous about the flight, and I plan on doing as NSboarderchick suggested, ie staying up all night (but minus the hangover, thanks very much!) and possibily even the night before that! Hopefully by sleeping away on the plane I'll be able to beat jetlag! Here's hoping!

I've always been told to chew gum on flights, what's with this not being allowed??

Yakaji
May 24th, 2004, 12:30
I so don't care about the flight. I'll be visiting New Zealand in the two weeks before departure, and NZ is a 23 hour flight from here. So in early July, I'll have that 23 hours. And then...

July 21: Aukland to San Francisco - 23 hours
July 22: San Francisco to Houston - 5 hours
July 24: Houston to Narita - 12 hours

Do I worry about the trip to Japan? Hell no. It's less than a third of the amount I'll be flying in a period of four days, and less than a fifth of the amount I'll be flying in July. As I said, honestly, I do not care about this flight.

I like plane trips, though, so I'm just looking forward to this. And getting on a plane with all the other Houston JETs? Good stuff!

Ageha
May 24th, 2004, 14:38
I'm not really nervous (only during take-off and landing...statistically they most dangerous moments for a plane, I believe) because I've made the flight 6 times (total, there and back), I'm just not looking foward to it that much. Well, I AM looking foward to getting to know the other JETs who'll be with me, but the air gets extremely dry (which is hell on my contact wearing eyes no matter what I do) and my head tends to get a little stuffy...so I'm not really excited about that. And, I'm a little concerned about not being seated near my sister, only because it won't be much longer after that that we'll be seperated. Well, that and having family/friends with you means you have someone to sleep on and someone who won't look annoyed every time you have to get up to go to the bathroom. ;)

memgalaw
May 24th, 2004, 15:25
To the poster complaining about dry nasal passages-

Try getting a saline nasal spray (I think Visine makes one, if you know that brand) and use it every couple of hours. It totally solved the problem for me.

Beq
May 24th, 2004, 20:27
I want a window seat, too!
I've always been told to chew gum on flights, what's with this not being allowed??

It's not that they don't allow it, more that they discouarage it...too many people sticking their wad under the chairs and in the loos. My Dad used to work for Ansett here in Australia, would go mental when anyone would suggest gum on a plane, said the cleaners would almost go on strike over it sometimes! So hey, take it if you want, it's no biggie, but if you stick your gum under the seat, I'm hiding in the overhead lockers when the cleaners come to "sanitise" you!
:lol:

Dulcinea
May 24th, 2004, 20:40
When I flew to Australia on Quantas we got nice little bags with stuff in them (~18hrs), but when I flew direct from O'Hare to Buenos Aires (~10 hrs, i think) we got nothing... I'm looking forward to more on this trip.