PDA

View Full Version : Pension Concerns

arcthemonkey
January 14th, 2012, 05:32
After reading a few posts on here, I've become really concerned about something:

People seem to be implying that the Pension refund application is more than one page... My "Claim Form for the Lump-sum Withdrawal Payments (for National Pension and Employee's Pension Insurance)" is just one, single sided page. All the instructions I have direct you how to fill out the single paige. I went to the website for the Japanese pension office and the form they directed me to is, you guess it, 1 page. What's this talk about a second page??

Also, my bank doesn't have certified bank stamps. Can someone clarify what exactly I need to provide in lieu of this? One person I saw seemed to get away with just getting an address stamp and including a deposit slip... Any insight?

And yes, I am applying very late. :P I'm stupid like that.

kalliea
January 20th, 2012, 02:49
Bank address stamp worked for me. Don't think I included a deposit slip...

arcthemonkey
January 21st, 2012, 04:52
Alright, awesome! But your claim form, was it just one single-sided page? I keep seeing people talk about the "other pages" but I'm positive I have the right form...

arcthemonkey
January 21st, 2012, 04:56
I think what people are referring to is the page that comes after the packet (Here: http://www.sia.go.jp/e/pdf/english.pdf ), specifically the part under "History (Public Pension Plan Subscription Process) ", but I was told I didn't need to fill it out by my BOE, and there is nowhere in the directions that says to include it. I have no idea what most of the boxes are even asking for, and there are no instructions like there are for everything else.

UPGRAYEDD
January 21st, 2012, 09:42
Theoretically bank address stamps should not work because only Japanese banks have certified stamps. I guess the pension office just ignores them and decides not to void the applications from all the foreigners who cannot follow directions. Lucky you.

Anyway, if you don't have a bank stamp, it says to attach a document from the bank identifying your name, bank address, account number, etc. That's all you need.

About the second page: it clearly says "Please fill in the period you were a member of Public Pension Plan (Employees’ Pension Insurance, National Pension, Sailors’ Pension)."

Just follow the directions and you'll be fine.

Lyra
January 22nd, 2012, 03:55
I opened my account online, so I didn't even have a branch address. I called my bank (Citi) and they provided me with a letter that certified that I was an account holder. The rep said this is the form they usually provide to people applying for this pension refund. I'm sure other large banks have similar forms.

arcthemonkey
January 22nd, 2012, 08:34
Theoretically bank address stamps should not work because only Japanese banks have certified stamps. I guess the pension office just ignores them and decides not to void the applications from all the foreigners who cannot follow directions. Lucky you.

Anyway, if you don't have a bank stamp, it says to attach a document from the bank identifying your name, bank address, account number, etc. That's all you need.

About the second page: it clearly says "Please fill in the period you were a member of Public Pension Plan (Employees’ Pension Insurance, National Pension, Sailors’ Pension)."

Just follow the directions and you'll be fine.

I figured this was what they meant, but that page doesn't look like it belongs with the other, and the directions don't actually say to do it. Ever.

How to fill in the form
Please fill in lines 1 to 5 completely. If they are not complete, the claim form may be returned to you.
① Please complete the blanks[3. Name, date of birth and address of the claimant]and [4. The bank account to which the Lump-sum Withdrawal Payments should be transferred] with capital letters.
② With regard to[5. Claimant’s pension handbook data], for the "basic pension number" please refer to the basic pension number on your pension handbook, and for the "registration number" please refer to the registration number(s) on the pension handbook(s) of the pension system(s) you participated in.
③ Please do not write anything in the box [Official use only].
④ The "pension handbook basic pension number" and "registration number" will be needed when you make future inquiries. Please make note of them for your reference before you submit this claim form.

It says to fill out boxes 1-5, but doesn't say anything about the "
History (Public Pension Plan Subscription Process)" box.

I guess I'll fill it out anyway, I just don't understand why the directions are so unclear ><

Maybe this is just making me look like an idiot, haha!