PDA

View Full Version : Using Kindle To Study/Read Manga

Kuro2Flo
January 16th, 2012, 15:46
I was wondering if there was a way to download Manga (in Japanese) as well as download a Japanese-English dictionary to instantly translate highlighted kanji into English. It comes with a stock English dictionary, that does the same for any highlighted word, but I can't help but think how much time it would save if I didn't have to manually look up kanji by radicals, stroke count, etc.

uthinkimlost?
January 16th, 2012, 16:40
You need a kindle fire or nook to get the kinda use out of it you want.

Gezora
January 16th, 2012, 18:31
If it's coming off of a PDF file I don't think anything like that exists. I think you're stuck doing it the old fashioned way.

Kuro2Flo
January 17th, 2012, 08:11
If it's coming off of a PDF file I don't think anything like that exists. I think you're stuck doing it the old fashioned way.

Ah, I've never read a PDF on my kindle, so I guess you can't highlight text then? I guess that would make sense.

Although I do have a kindle fire, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

uthinkimlost?
January 17th, 2012, 08:24
Ah, I've never read a PDF on my kindle, so I guess you can't highlight text then? I guess that would make sense.

How to root the Kindle Fire (updated for 6.2.1) – New Tech Gadgets & Electronic Devices | Geek.com (http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/how-to-root-the-kindle-fire-20111223/)

Gezora
January 17th, 2012, 10:05

Whut. I'm just saying manga is usually going to come in the form of some kind of image file. I know you can highlight text in PDF files sometimes, but due to the nature of manga formatting there would be no good reason for the creator of the file to make the text highlightable; mainly because the lettering is part of the image and not an actual typeface. We don't live in Minority Report yet.

Jiggit
January 17th, 2012, 10:27
Whut. I'm just saying manga is usually going to come in the form of some kind of image file. I know you can highlight text in PDF files sometimes, but due to the nature of manga formatting there would be no good reason for the creator of the file to make the text highlightable; mainly because the lettering is part of the image and not an actual typeface. We don't live in Minority Report yet.

I just want to read the kanjis on my hentais why are you being so mean?

Gezora
January 17th, 2012, 10:29
Guys I routed my Kindle Fire so I could install Rikaichan, but it just keeps saying "no text selected." What does that mean? There are kanjis all over the place!

Kuro2Flo
January 18th, 2012, 19:46
How to root the Kindle Fire (updated for 6.2.1) – New Tech Gadgets & Electronic Devices | Geek.com (http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/how-to-root-the-kindle-fire-20111223/)

Yeah, and you can install a Japanese dictionary after rooting, but I guess if you can't highlight the text in a manga, since its an image file most likely, then im still SOL.

Although, text in books bought in kindle format give you the ability to highlight, even though it could have gotten away with an image file type format. Anyone know if Japanese e-manga or w/e comes as an image file? Most fan-scans do I guess, but I'm hoping that legit digital manga might be a little classier.

Gezora
January 18th, 2012, 19:57
I'm sorry I can't help you. You clearly don't understand what you're talking about at all. Why would the proprietary file type for Kindle books be an image file? In what universe would that be useful to the purpose of delivering text content that is scalable and needs a dozen other features included with it?

Kuro2Flo
January 18th, 2012, 20:25

Yeah, and you can install a Japanese dictionary after rooting, but I guess if you can't highlight the text in a manga, since its an image file most likely, then im still SOL.

Although, text in books bought in kindle format give you the ability to highlight, even though it could have gotten away with an image file type format. Anyone know if Japanese e-manga or w/e comes as an image file? Most fan-scans do I guess, but I'm hoping that legit digital manga might be a little classier.

uthinkimlost?
January 18th, 2012, 21:23

It will all be images. It begins as an image, and most manga is still lettered by hand. At least with rooting you will be able to look things up by radical.

mteacher80
January 19th, 2012, 04:32
Use OCR software (Optical Character Recognition) to convert scanned documents to editable MS Word, Excel, HTML or searchable PDF files.
Not sure what is available for the Kindle per say but they do exist. I had an app on my last japanese phone that you could take pictures of characters and it would recognize them and pull up definitions and such...

Amazon Kindle Fireで日本語を入力する / ATOK,simejiをインストールする - nunnun's weblog (http://blog.nunnun.jp/Technology/kindle_fire_root_and_japanese_input_method.html)

Kindle Fireでの日本語入力 [続] / Japanese Input on Kindle Fire - nunnun's weblog (http://blog.nunnun.jp/Technology/kindle_fire_root_and_japanese_input_method_2.html)

those two links are just for putting a Japanese IME on your fire.

Kuro2Flo
February 13th, 2012, 16:12
I'm sorry I can't help you. You clearly don't understand what you're talking about at all. Why would the proprietary file type for Kindle books be an image file? In what universe would that be useful to the purpose of delivering text content that is scalable and needs a dozen other features included with it?

So get angry about it.
Actually, get even angrier.

Kuro2Flo
February 13th, 2012, 16:13
Use OCR software (Optical Character Recognition) to convert scanned documents to editable MS Word, Excel, HTML or searchable PDF files.
Not sure what is available for the Kindle per say but they do exist. I had an app on my last japanese phone that you could take pictures of characters and it would recognize them and pull up definitions and such...

Amazon Kindle Fireで日本語を入力する / ATOK,simejiをインストールする - nunnun's weblog (http://blog.nunnun.jp/Technology/kindle_fire_root_and_japanese_input_method.html)

Kindle Fireでの日本語入力 [続] / Japanese Input on Kindle Fire - nunnun's weblog (http://blog.nunnun.jp/Technology/kindle_fire_root_and_japanese_input_method_2.html)

those two links are just for putting a Japanese IME on your fire.

Awesome, thanks a lot!

Gezora
February 13th, 2012, 16:54
So get angry about it.
Actually, get even angrier.

I'm not angry, just exasperated. Scientists should study you because there is probably an event horizon inside your skull.

Tyr
February 27th, 2012, 09:16
manga sucks on the kindle.
I once experimented with trying some English language manga on it but....the screen is just too small and it loads very weirdly, even after converting.

agrilledfish
February 28th, 2012, 21:33
I disagree, I love reading manga on the kindle. There's a great tool specifically for converting manga called Mangle. Google it!

(But yeah, the dream of magically translating manga as you read it is a little far away, especially with the typical manga having kanji too small to be easily recognizable by OCR. Just suck it up and use a separate electronic dictionary.)

Tyr
February 29th, 2012, 13:15
I heard big things about mangle. It doesn't help much though. It....mangles things. Ho ho ho.

If only the kindle screen was a bit bigger....

agrilledfish
March 7th, 2012, 11:53
It all depends on your source material. If you have clear, high-res scans of single pages it fits perfectly on the screen. The only trouble I've had is with raws that were blurry to begin with, or double-page scans (which I was able to get around with the Kindle's rotate and zoom functions).

PpJt
March 7th, 2012, 18:09
Mangle is pretty sweet, as long as you don't mind occasionally going back a page or two to fix a small section of the page messing up occasionally. Perfectly readable on my Kindle 3, though I suggest you start out with fairly high quality scans. That being said, I've only started reading that stuff in the last month or so, so haven't read much. *shrug*