PDA

View Full Version : Interac & Private Tutoring ?

happyBuddha
January 28th, 2012, 05:39
Greetings community!

So I'm aiming to work for interac it's my first choice at this point, and I would like to know if I should request rural placements as the best opportunities to guarantee a local need for private tutoring. Now I wouldn't mind suburban at all. I'm also not against rural Japan, it just wouldn't be the first thing I envision is I think about my most ideal placement.

Ultimately my focus is working successfully as an ALT and have a few private lessons to supplement my income. (I'm trying to save as much as possible and still have a culturally enriching experience.)

Any advice or experience to share?

Thank you guys in advance!!

shbflyjin
January 28th, 2012, 19:49
I would guess that a rural placement would be counterproductive towards finding students because Interac specifically states that you can't tutor students that you are teaching at school and some rural towns only have one Jr. high school and a few elementary schools (and often no high school), all of which the ALT will more than likely visit at some point. Also, there are probably not a whole lot of potential adult students because young people tend to move to the city and inaka ojisans and obasans have no use for English (although there might be a few that want to learn as a hobby). I think generally speaking, the larger the population, the easier it will be to find students if you have a little determination.

happyBuddha
January 30th, 2012, 17:29
Thank you for the feedback, I didn't think about it that way.