PDA

View Full Version : Your Interview - How Did It Go '12

Merkypie
February 18th, 2012, 13:47
I noticed there was a thread for this for like... every year (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying-jet/16457-your-interview-how-did-go.html).... but no one made one this year. So, uh. How was your interview? If you've been gagged, obviously don't go into details about the questions or anything that might give an unfair advantage to other interviewees. I guess everything else is fair game.

I have nothing until the 27th.

Ainigi
February 18th, 2012, 13:50
I was pretty happy with how my interview went. I am a little scared that I came off as too excited to be teaching though. hehe. We will see come April I guess :D

Prospective
February 18th, 2012, 13:52
I already responded http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying-jet/16242-interview-questions-advice-16.html#post751009

But basically it went well. There were no real "oh shit" moments, but a few things that I kept replaying and thinking "I could have done that better". I felt happy when I left my interview, started freaking out about 2 hours after it, and am now back in a happy place where I feel like I did pretty well.

Still a few niggling doubts, but I can live with those until April. It's hard to know exactly where I stand without seeing the competition but I think I'm a pretty good match for the programme's goals. Here's a hoping.

Elan
February 18th, 2012, 14:09
Still a couple of days to go for me. Freaking out about whether the (better than what I have right now) clothes and shoes I ordered will arrive on time in between trying to cram 漢字/敬語/whatever into my head and watching mindless comedies to decompress.

I'm at the weird place where rather than about the content of the interview I'm more worried about my own linguistic failings - my interview will be trilingual and I'm already pants at stringing together three words in my native language because 99% of the time I speak/write English... Japanese will be even worse, I imagine.

So it'll either go fantastic or I'll bollocks it up beyond belief, there's not much in between at this stage. I'll let you know, I suppose.

Elan
February 18th, 2012, 14:34
Yeah, applying for CIR.

I'm mostly zen because I can't really do much more than brush up on my Japanese and smile during the interview. My only aspiration for the interview is to remain calm and present my best side - whatever else happens, if I can stay calm I'll be happy with that, regardless of whether I'll be successful or not. Ergo more worrying about my deliveries than what I'll be asked about in the interview.

Takoyaki
February 18th, 2012, 17:08
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zLU5zDgLmmk/Tz4ZZIQSduI/AAAAAAAAAvA/NV4KCHCAu9E/s400/14761875.jpg

http://nihonomnom.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/my-jet-program-2012-melbourne-interview-experience-bonus-advice/

Iv gone into quite a bit of detail about my interview and preparation process in my blog if anyone is interested

wicket
February 18th, 2012, 20:59
Um, while a lot of that contains good advice and some good observations, I take issue with a couple of things.

Firstly, the primary school teacher. Given that she is a teacher, they would most likely have asked her how she would go being an assistant. Perhaps she brought the teaching materials to show how she could contribute to helping JTEs. Almost every ALT I ever knew was expected to come up with some kind of teaching materials at some point.

Secondly, the overconfidence and cockiness of the whole piece. You sound like you're an expert on the programme, which no-one is, especially not someone who hasn't even been on it yet. You even say that your blog is about someone in Japan on the JET program. How dumb would you feel if you're not accepted?

For the record, I think you will be accepted. But just, I don't know, tone it down a bit, eh? No need to be so condescending to other applicants.

Takoyaki
February 18th, 2012, 21:22
Um, while a lot of that contains good advice and some good observations, I take issue with a couple of things.

Firstly, the primary school teacher. Given that she is a teacher, they would most likely have asked her how she would go being an assistant. Perhaps she brought the teaching materials to show how she could contribute to helping JTEs. Almost every ALT I ever knew was expected to come up with some kind of teaching materials at some point.

Secondly, the overconfidence and cockiness of the whole piece. You sound like you're an expert on the programme, which no-one is, especially not someone who hasn't even been on it yet. You even say that your blog is about someone in Japan on the JET program. How dumb would you feel if you're not accepted?

For the record, I think you will be accepted. But just, I don't know, tone it down a bit, eh? No need to be so condescending to other applicants.

I'm sorry to come across that way nor never meant for anyone to see it before i was actually accepted.
That whole piece was something i wrote whilst stranded at the train station due to the rain on the way home from my interview on my iPhone and i added a couple pictures when i got home without re-reading it.
The original was more a personal journal entry which was my honest opinion of what i was feeling at the time and I guess ill have to revise it, but its a Saturday night and as i was in a hurry I just wanted to share my experience to anyone it could benefit before i went out for the evening because I would have greatly appreciated an honest detailed account like this a week ago, when I was preparing.

and wicket I thank you for your honestly and all your help because your contribution aided me greatly in my preparation every step of the way for which i am incredibly grateful

edit: after re-reading that piece i see where you were coming from, i have taken it down to edit as i did sound like a total dick =P

Roser
February 19th, 2012, 06:03
I already responded http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying-jet/16242-interview-questions-advice-16.html#post751009

But basically it went well. There were no real "oh shit" moments, but a few things that I kept replaying and thinking "I could have done that better". I felt happy when I left my interview, started freaking out about 2 hours after it, and am now back in a happy place where I feel like I did pretty well.

Still a few niggling doubts, but I can live with those until April. It's hard to know exactly where I stand without seeing the competition but I think I'm a pretty good match for the programme's goals. Here's a hoping.

This is exactly how I feel- I was elated when I left the interview and then hit a real downer by that night (interview at 10am). I am now ok and just wishing it was April! I was suprised at the amount of interview panels and applicants when I got to the venue so that was a little off putting. I wish I had hung around after my interview to talk to some people but I ran out of there like the place was on fire!

bananallanah
February 19th, 2012, 10:13
Yup this is how I feel about my interview too. Felt it went quite well, then a few hours later had some real facepalm moments, total chances to show off and I just missed them hardout. Luckily I was quite prepared for other segments, particularly a couple questions my friend had last year which came up in mine (explain the difference between 'special' and 'unique' for example) Guess we'll see come April any how.
I dissected the interview more in the interviews advice/questions thread.

atheistwithfaith
February 19th, 2012, 16:16
Still a couple of days to go for me. Freaking out about whether the (better than what I have right now) clothes and shoes I ordered will arrive on time in between trying to cram 漢字/敬語/whatever into my head and watching mindless comedies to decompress.

I'm at the weird place where rather than about the content of the interview I'm more worried about my own linguistic failings - my interview will be trilingual and I'm already pants at stringing together three words in my native language because 99% of the time I speak/write English... Japanese will be even worse, I imagine.

So it'll either go fantastic or I'll bollocks it up beyond belief, there's not much in between at this stage. I'll let you know, I suppose.

Do you get tested on keigo in the interviews?

Lianwen
February 20th, 2012, 09:33
Yeah, applying for CIR.

I'm mostly zen because I can't really do much more than brush up on my Japanese and smile during the interview. My only aspiration for the interview is to remain calm and present my best side - whatever else happens, if I can stay calm I'll be happy with that, regardless of whether I'll be successful or not. Ergo more worrying about my deliveries than what I'll be asked about in the interview.

I`m cheering you on <3

Merrick
February 20th, 2012, 14:32
I want to share everything about the things that hung me up slightly and the spur of the moment tactics that proved fruitful, if only it weren't for that damnable piece of paper I had to initial.......is that normal, by the way, the sheet telling you not to say anything? Or is that new?

uthinkimlost?
February 20th, 2012, 14:50
Normal.

Merrick
February 20th, 2012, 15:12
Normal.

Ah, ok. I just remember reading that and going "....shit." haha

Takoyaki
February 20th, 2012, 16:49
So I have heavily edited out all the former person notes in this blog entry and now its a lot more focused on just my experience, there is a lot of stuff in here that would be very valuable for those still studying for their interviews

http://nihonomnom.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/my-jet-program-2012-melbourne-interview-experience-bonus-advice/

wicket
February 20th, 2012, 18:31
yeah, better, but could still do with some proof-reading for typos!

Takoyaki
February 20th, 2012, 18:48
i tried :P

Elan
February 21st, 2012, 00:04
Do you get tested on keigo in the interviews?

I doubt that's a regular feature. I'm interviewing for CIR and gave them my highest Japanese certificate, plus I'm somewhat obsessed with being appropriately polite at all times so I'm probably putting more pressure on myself than is strictly needed.

I`m cheering you on <3

Thanks dear. Will try my best not to disappoint you :lol:

Roser
February 21st, 2012, 22:19
I want to share everything about the things that hung me up slightly and the spur of the moment tactics that proved fruitful, if only it weren't for that damnable piece of paper I had to initial.......is that normal, by the way, the sheet telling you not to say anything? Or is that new?

I didn't have to initial anthing.. is it a yank thing?

Merkypie
February 22nd, 2012, 00:25

Probably.

sloth
February 22nd, 2012, 03:18
Probably.

It depends from consulate to consulate apparently. I didn't have to sign anything.

Merkypie
February 22nd, 2012, 03:41
It depends from consulate to consulate apparently. I didn't have to sign anything.

You didn't have some sheet you had to initial with a bunch of terms and conditions? Cause that's where the confidentiality agreement is at.

If not, then, your consulate is pretty chill.

WishfulDreamer
February 22nd, 2012, 03:53
Am I the only one whose interview is at a community center instead of a consulate? I'm trying to see the positive side of that, like it possibly being more of a relaxed atmosphere than a consulate with metal detectors and such.

sloth
February 22nd, 2012, 03:53
You didn't have some sheet you had to initial with a bunch of terms and conditions? Cause that's where the confidentiality agreement is at.

If not, then, your consulate is pretty chill.

Not that I remember... not at the interview at least. It may have been in the initial application but eh. Its not like I got asked anything groundbreaking. Everything I got asked you can find with a simple google search *shrug*

Roser
February 22nd, 2012, 06:30
Am I the only one whose interview is at a community center instead of a consulate? I'm trying to see the positive side of that, like it possibly being more of a relaxed atmosphere than a consulate with metal detectors and such.

Mine was in a hotel- was nice! Relaxing lounge etc...

WishfulDreamer
February 22nd, 2012, 07:47
Just finished! Mine felt pretty relaxed, lots of applicants and talking/laughing with alumni. The interview itself had a few awkward moments but seemed mostly fine. One thing that shocked me: It felt so short! Really, I felt I was only in there five minutes tops when it was twenty. I can't guess whether I'm in or not, but will be playing the waiting game with the rest of you. I feel that even if it's a no, I learned a lot today.

Roser
February 22nd, 2012, 07:53
Well done for finishing. I found the time flew by also- I felt like I had just sat down and then they were asking me if I had any questions! Good luck! I hope we get it! :^_^:

bananallanah
February 22nd, 2012, 09:17

Must be, I didn't sign anything except signing into the embassy to say I had arrived.

Merkypie
February 22nd, 2012, 09:41
Just finished! Mine felt pretty relaxed, lots of applicants and talking/laughing with alumni. The interview itself had a few awkward moments but seemed mostly fine. One thing that shocked me: It felt so short! Really, I felt I was only in there five minutes tops when it was twenty. I can't guess whether I'm in or not, but will be playing the waiting game with the rest of you. I feel that even if it's a no, I learned a lot today.

Congrats! If you feel positive then you got this. If you left with regret then you know something didn't go right. You got this :)

WishfulDreamer
February 22nd, 2012, 12:18
Thanks! I admit my heart was kind of thumping in the waiting area, but in the actual interview not at all. I had three very nice people, too, so that probably helped.

I also didn't have to initial anything, just pick up a post-interview paper that answers questions about when you'll hear anything back.

Good luck to you too, everyone! :)

Kirari
February 22nd, 2012, 12:48
I had my interview for the ALT position today! I felt like I did pretty well, but then again, I felt that way about my AEON interview, but didn't get the job. This interview was much easier than the one for AEON, though. It was at the Japanese consulate in Atlanta. I had to sign one of those confidentiality things, too. One of the other candidates didn't bring hers, and I felt so bad for her - I went with her to find out if there was a computer/printer in the building she could use, but unfortunately, there wasn't. They still allowed her to interview, thankfully. So for those still waiting to interview: check to make sure you have your ID, interview voucher, and release/confidentiality form, and then check again about five more times. There were several other candidates waiting and we all talked and watched an NHK variety show that was on the TV there - something about them trying to teach a dog how to play janken (complete with the acchi muite hoi part) calmed me down a bit. I was able to view the other candidates as my future coworkers instead of as my rivals, and I think that helped some, too.

My interviewers were very nice, and no one tried to trip me up or give me a hard time. The best part was that they spent time between questions looking over my application and essay, so I had a few minutes to regroup.

Good luck to everyone!

Takoyaki
February 22nd, 2012, 13:08
Thanks! I admit my heart was kind of thumping in the waiting area, but in the actual interview not at all. I had three very nice people, too, so that probably helped.

I also didn't have to initial anything, just pick up a post-interview paper that answers questions about when you'll hear anything back.

Good luck to you too, everyone! :)

Oh we didn't get a notice sheet about results, would you mind sharing the dates??

Merkypie
February 22nd, 2012, 13:18
Oh we didn't get a notice sheet about results, would you mind sharing the dates??

If its anything that came with my interview confirmation email, April for results (mid-march if early departure), blah blah blah

I had my interview for the ALT position today! I felt like I did pretty well, but then again, I felt that way about my AEON interview, but didn't get the job. This interview was much easier than the one for AEON, though. It was at the Japanese consulate in Atlanta. I had to sign one of those confidentiality things, too. One of the other candidates didn't bring hers, and I felt so bad for her - I went with her to find out if there was a computer/printer in the building she could use, but unfortunately, there wasn't. They still allowed her to interview, thankfully. So for those still waiting to interview: check to make sure you have your ID, interview voucher, and release/confidentiality form, and then check again about five more times. There were several other candidates waiting and we all talked and watched an NHK variety show that was on the TV there - something about them trying to teach a dog how to play janken (complete with the acchi muite hoi part) calmed me down a bit. I was able to view the other candidates as my future coworkers instead of as my rivals, and I think that helped some, too.

My interviewers were very nice, and no one tried to trip me up or give me a hard time. The best part was that they spent time between questions looking over my application and essay, so I had a few minutes to regroup.

Good luck to everyone!

Sounds like the interviewers this year are not out to eat any applicants up from the sounds of everyone's interview experiences. Why did you apply in Atlanta, though?

Kirari
February 22nd, 2012, 13:51
Sounds like the interviewers this year are not out to eat any applicants up from the sounds of everyone's interview experiences. Why did you apply in Atlanta, though?

My uncle lives about 40 minutes away from the consulate, and since he's a Delta employee, I was able to get a discount "buddy pass" for the flight. I've heard that it might be easier to interview in Miami, since it's not as popular, but Atlanta was just easier for me, logistically.

WishfulDreamer
February 22nd, 2012, 14:18
It only says mid-April, sorry!

Dates of departure for successful applicants probably vary everywhere. For the L.A. area it's Saturday, July 28th.

Takoyaki
February 22nd, 2012, 15:26
ah i was just looking for a ball park figure as i forgot what i was told the dates would be :P
thanks though

Merkypie
February 22nd, 2012, 17:15
My uncle lives about 40 minutes away from the consulate, and since he's a Delta employee, I was able to get a discount "buddy pass" for the flight. I've heard that it might be easier to interview in Miami, since it's not as popular, but Atlanta was just easier for me, logistically.

Oh, nice. I get ya. :)

Kirari
February 23rd, 2012, 02:41
@Merkypie - Loving your Nishikido avatar. :)

Elan
February 23rd, 2012, 02:44
Yeeeeah, I think I can say goodbye to my JET dream. I fucked that up so royally, I think I couldn't have done any worse if I'd just dropped trou and shat on the table. They essentially gave up on me after the first sentence, I think, because I was just babbling uncontrollably and tripping over my words in my *mother tongue*. Jesus. It got a bit better when we switched to English, but not by much (my English is far better than my German nowadays)... which is baffling to me because I usually interview well and was perfectly calm until my butt hit the chair, then everything went to hell.

Although I have to say I got a lot calmer when I realized I'd already shot my chances.

Sigh.

So yeah, my set of questions, in no particular order:

- what is your motivation for joining JET?
- what sort of things do you think a CIR does? What field are you most interested in?
- what can you offer the programme? What would you do to promote Germany if accepted?
- where do you think your personal strengths lie? What are your weaknesses?
- what would you do if asked to do a presentation about your country to a group of 100+ primary school students?
- have you ever been to Meissen? Do you know what it stands for?
- do you expect any health issues from going to Japan? (I'm overweight, so I expect that was the thrust of that particular question)
- how'd you react when people make insulting remarks about your weight? (that really was in that direction. Duh)
- what do you think are the differences between a Japanese and a German workplace?
- do you expect problems when integrating into a Japanese workplace?
- various questions about my Master study
- questions about the minor things I mentioned on my health certificate to be thorough
- have you ever done translation/interpreting work? Have you ever done presentations in front of a large group?
- what are your hobbies/interests?
- how did you get this good at English?
- do you play an instrument?
- what do you think some current societal issues in Germany are?
- do you think the Pirates have any chance making the Bundestag after the next election? (I have noooooo idea. Don't ask me. Though I could bring in my knowledge about SOPA/ACTA, so...)

On the Japanese side of things I was handed two different articles (both from Asahi. Boo, cheating, I've been reading Mainichi!), one about the Tokyo Sky Tree with select furigana, one about different types of energy with zero furigana (here I fucked up beyond repair because there were words I swear I have never seen, and my reading's still in the pits anyway). I got one minute to read both, then had to read them out loud and was then asked some questions about the content of the articles, and some questions regarding my personal opinion on select points raised in them (what is the most relevant sightseeing spot for visitors to your town (there are NONE, my town is deader than the career of your average I'm A Celebrity participant)? What do you think are the upsides and downsides to increasing visitors to Tokyo? What do you think are issues with nuclear energy? What type of energy do you think will be prevalent in your country in 10 years?). After every answer, the Japanese embassy employee made a very disconcerting ~10 second pause (a la "Is that really everything you gotta say?) which I now realize was probably engineered to freak me out - it worked perfectly. I think I did okay with the first article, but with the second I was just SHIT. I couldn't even finish skimming it within the allotted minute re: aforementioned words I've never seen.

I got the panel (one Embassy employee, one ex-JET and the JET coordinator. No good cop - bad cop routine, btw) to laugh a couple of times by making jokes about my idiocy/scatterbrainedness (though that probably was more pity than anything) and was congratulated on my English, but that was about it. I apologized for my pitiful Japanese, and then I left. They let me go after about 45 minutes (pure interview time ~35 minutes, as I asked a complicated question at the end), the person before me apparently interviewed for far longer than the 60 minutes indicated in the invitation because they only left when I'd already been in the waiting room for five minutes - I arrived about 40 minutes before my interview and there was no one in the room before me.

I may make the cut if a lot of people drop out this year or everyone else interviewed was even shitter (because I think I scored okay on paperwork), but I severely doubt it.

Although I did level up quite extensively on "lying to parents" and "putting on a smile when you feel like crying", so there's that.

Kirari
February 23rd, 2012, 03:18
@Elan - You may have done better than you think, especially since you calmed down after a bit. I'm overweight too, but though I expected health-related questions like you received, I didn't get them. I wonder if I should have brought it up myself, as in what I've been doing to improve my health. I think I was so over-prepared for the worst, that when it didn't happen I was slightly confused. Yeah. So we'll see.

Sending good thoughts your way~

Elan
February 23rd, 2012, 05:30
@Elan - You may have done better than you think, especially since you calmed down after a bit.

Be assured, whatever you're picturing, I was much worse. There's no way in hell they didn't drop me to the bottom of the list or just ruled me out entirely.

Thank you for the support anyway.

hunterofpeace
February 23rd, 2012, 07:27
Just got back from my interview in Atlanta. Like Kirari was saying, they were very nice and didn't try any scare tactics at all. They seemed genuinely helpful. The ex-JET gave me career advice and one of the guys started telling anecdotes about his wife from Alabama because that's where I'm from. It seemed pretty chill. None of the questions really tripped me up, but I don't think they were designed to. I did get the ever-popular tea question (sort of). The woman said that she was *going* to ask it, but then figured it would not be a problem because I work in a restaurant, which I confirmed. I feel fine about it. Even if I don't make it, I feel like I gave it my best shot and that's all I could hope for, really.

Lychee
February 23rd, 2012, 12:05
Just had mine too. I was freakin' zen all day, all through the waiting room process and all through the interview, but the second I left I kind of went into shock. After working so hard to get to this point the last bit of fight I could put in happened in one swift sit-down and now all I can do is wait. Good luck to everyone else!

andsoyouknow
February 23rd, 2012, 22:15
I had my interview in ATL yesterday as well. The interviewers were really kind, definitely not the tribunal war I was expecting, and I am truly grateful to be able to be interviewed by them. I love the Japanese professor, she tried to seem like the "bad cop" at times with me, but I kept thinking "hahahahaha, that's cute".

I was ready to get my arse up and prepare some kind of on-the-fly demo lesson even though I didn't prepare much for it (I figured, be genki, use lots of body movements, keep it simple, and most importantly - stay calm - would be my saving grace) but no. No demo lesson. But ESID so be prepared to do one just in case.

Well, here's to the wait until April. Congrats again to those that got through the interview - that's a huge accomplishment. I told myself that whatever happens, happens. Getting JET would be a dream come true, but I am grateful to even have the opportunity to be interviewed by JET. That in itself is something to be proud of, and I am grateful to have the chance to show JET who I am outside the context of a written application.

Fabrune
February 23rd, 2012, 23:59
Elan, what level of Japanese did you put down on your app?

Are other people having to read articles & answer questions in Japanese? I thought most people just had to answer a few simple questions in Japanese (you know, if you only listed beginner or intermediate).

uthinkimlost?
February 24th, 2012, 00:01
Elan, what level of Japanese did you put down on your app?

Are other people having to read articles & answer questions in Japanese? I thought most people just had to answer a few simple questions in Japanese (you know, if you only listed beginner or intermediate).

Elan is applying for CIR, not ALT.

Fabrune
February 24th, 2012, 00:19
Oops, my bad.

hunterofpeace
February 24th, 2012, 04:23
I flubbed up on the Japanese bit. I got so nervous I forgot everything I knew. They asked how many kanji I knew and I'm preeeeetty sure I said はっぴゃく instead of ひゃく. Ooooops. Accidental qualification boost, ftw! (They probably didn't believe me anyway because I stuttered around so much).

Merkypie
February 24th, 2012, 06:08
It's the effort that counts :V

andnever
February 24th, 2012, 06:50
I applied for Early Departure and when I asked the ex-JETs about it, they said they didn't know when I would hear back from the Embassy except that everyone's supposed to hear back on the week on April 16th. But other places indicate that Early Departure hear news of whether they've been accepted in mid-March. Does anyone know if those who don't get early departure will hear anything in mid-March or if they'll just have to wait until April 16th just like everyone else?

andsoyouknow
February 24th, 2012, 07:00
I flubbed up on the Japanese bit. I got so nervous I forgot everything I knew. They asked how many kanji I knew and I'm preeeeetty sure I said はっぴゃく instead of ひゃく. Ooooops. Accidental qualification boost, ftw! (They probably didn't believe me anyway because I stuttered around so much).

LOL when they asked me that, I was like. Eh. さんびゃくぐらい. Then the Japanese prof gave me a passage to read and I was like fffffff. Luckily for me, the kanji had furigana.

Did you have to do a reading, and if so, was it the "u betta' know 800 kanji" kind of reading? No furigana ftw?

Lychee
February 24th, 2012, 09:32
I applied for Early Departure and when I asked the ex-JETs about it, they said they didn't know when I would hear back from the Embassy except that everyone's supposed to hear back on the week on April 16th. But other places indicate that Early Departure hear news of whether they've been accepted in mid-March. Does anyone know if those who don't get early departure will hear anything in mid-March or if they'll just have to wait until April 16th just like everyone else?

They told me that unless they turned out to need you immediately to expect mid April. But IF they decide to snag you up early mid march.

TheDoctor
February 24th, 2012, 17:03
I heard that "something like 12 early departures will be chosen for the entire country".

Also, from what I hear, it seems that they are making anyone who claimed any level of Japanese proficiency read a paragraph aloud and answer questions in Japanese.

Merkypie
February 24th, 2012, 17:27
I heard that "something like 12 early departures will be chosen for the entire country".

Also, from what I hear, it seems that they are making anyone who claimed any level of Japanese proficiency read a paragraph aloud and answer questions in Japanese.

Really? Where? And if it's 12 early departures, then what's that? One per consulate?

And, well, that Japanese paragraph thing better have furigana or I'm so screwed. Cause all I know is like 100 kanji or less, like off the top of my head.

hunterofpeace
February 25th, 2012, 00:24
My paragraph had furigana. They stopped me before I was done. I must have looked worried because the Japanese guy chuckled and said, "Don't worry. It's just for placement," and the ex-JET said, "Yeah, you aren't being graded or anything." Whew!

Merrick
February 25th, 2012, 00:46
My paragraph had furigana. They stopped me before I was done. I must have looked worried because the Japanese guy chuckled and said, "Don't worry. It's just for placement," and the ex-JET said, "Yeah, you aren't being graded or anything." Whew!

They told me that it wouldn't go against me also. Which was good, because I was so focused on reading that I could not answer the comprehension questions they asked for the life of me. >_>

Also forgot how to say often, and didn't remember that it was yoku until after it was done and I was outside pacing like a crazy person. Basically, that part of the interview haunts me the most right now hahaha.

Yarantoikenbai
February 25th, 2012, 02:37
Hello, newbie poster here!

I had my CIR interview on the 14th of Feb in London and it was awful!

I feel exactly the same as Elan appears to: "wtf just happened?" I don't remember much as it just flew by; I can barely remember the questions they asked. The grammar test bit was nice and easy, but I started overanalysing things and ended up rewriting a whole sentence that I was supposed to correct. In hindsight, oops. There's a nice chat with a previous JET, during which I was quite calm and think I was enthusiastic. I don't know if he'll have a say in anything, or if there will be feedback from that bit, but I hope there is.

Then for the interview! In a few words, it sucked. The few questions that they asked me in English I feel I answered well, but I forgot everything important about Japanese that I should have known. I had prepared for questions like:
- Why do you want to be on the JET programme?
- Tell us about you/your hobbies.
- Why don't you just apply for a job abroad?
- What can you offer us as a CIR?
- What would you do to interest Japanese people in your culture?
- Why do you want to go to Fukuoka?
And other things about Japan, such as name of the prime minister, what is the Diet, name 5 cities other than Tokyo, name 3 famous people from Japan, etc.

The only ones I can remember being asked were:
- What do you want to tell Japanese people about your culture? I answered that I would like to show Japanese people the way we celebrate Christmas and New Year in the UK; then went on to talk about Hogmanay in Scotland.
- Did you ever feel homesick in Japan? What would you do, as a CIR, if an ALT came to you and said they were homesick and thinking of leaving? If only I could have answered this in English!
- If a teacher with whom you were working made a spelling or grammar mistake in front of a class, what would you do?

Then 2 readings in Japanese; the first was easy and full of furigana; the second was twice as long and full of kanji relating to renewable energy sources. I was so nervous that I forgot a lot of them, and although I knew what they meant I couldn't read them. Then they asked me questions on the text, my opinions on issues relating to the text and other issues raised. Same here as with Elan - they would stare at me for a few seconds after I stopped as if to say "that's all you can muster as a response? Pffft"

They asked me a lot about the ALT position, which I said I'd be glad to do if I wasn't suitable for the CIR. It's got me feeling that they're not interested in me as a CIR, which is okay, but who knows? These were all asked in English re: what would I do to teach ES students or HS students, etc.

All in all, I'm trying not to freak out and over analyse things but that's not working too well.

I hope everyone else's interviews went well!

devibescyardone
February 25th, 2012, 05:53
My interview was yesterday and it was okay........there wasn't a past JET as I had initially suspected to be, and wanted so I had to tailor some of my questions.............
I was happy with how it went, not too many technical questions about japan and japanese culture. I tried to be as honest and open to the questions asked, we'll see come April.
Good luck to all you guys

scimredopyh
February 26th, 2012, 06:56
Wow, I have... no idea how that went! Everything is a blur like many of you said. I will try to recall the questions later but... wow! First time interviewing and I felt pretty relaxed and confident before going in. The other applicants and the past JETs were really nice and encouraging. I was lucky enough to receive a really nice panel. They were all women and the former JET might have been the "bad cop." She wouldn't face me when I spoke but I believe I tried my best to look them all in the eyes when answering. There was the "give an example of a conflict" question that I messed up on. I couldn't think of anything solid and kind of rambled. I do think there were some questions I answered really well though. But then I bombed at the end when one of the ladies started talking to me in Japanese. Lots of "sumimasen" and "wakarimasen."

Overall, I'm happy I kept it together and didn't panic. No mock lesson or quiz on Japanese current events/politics. I can only think of what went wrong right now but we'll see what happens. Good luck to everyone! We survived.

bananallanah
February 26th, 2012, 07:10

Don't know if they were telling the truth or not......but a kiwi on the official forum private messaged me a couple weeks ago and mentioned that they got offered a place within a week of interviewing (early departure obvs) so they're getting ready to leave really soon. Not sure how many early departures are offered in NZ but if this person was legit looks like at least one

Tyr
February 27th, 2012, 09:35
Don't worry folks and good luck.
I left my interview with a deep feeling of uncertainty. I knew I'd nailed some questions but then I thought I had utterly blown it on others.
I wonder for anyone in Scotland - did they do the same thing again this year of the happy talktiive Japanese guy, the stern foreigner, and the quiet as sin Japanese guy?

andnever
February 27th, 2012, 11:25
We're all in the same boat!

I interviewed in Montreal at McGill University on Valentine's Day at 10AM. I got there on time (30 minutes early) and I feel like I was somehow late even though everyone just kinda sat there awkwardly. All our interviews started later than the time projected; two interviewees came before me and were still there by the time I left. The ex-JETs were super nice and interesting.

Some things I have worried about since the interview has been on my mind 24/7:
-didn't button my blazer cause I felt it would attract attention to my chest (since it's just a little smaller. I usually leave off a few buttons, but thought I would look a bit skanky so I just didn't button it.)
-didn't arrange my collar
-when they asked me "what association links (or encourages) Japan and Canada relations", I said that I tried to Google it and couldn't find anything. When the Japanese interviewer probed asking "are you sure you can't think of anything?", I said the Japanese Cultural Center and they seemed surprised, like they were expecting a more obvious answer... which, by now, I realized was something like "the embassy" or "the consulate"... wow, logic fail.
-I spoke way too fast. One of my interviewer was the Programme Coordinator and she asked the Japanese interview after every few questions "いいですか". I thought it was to check if I gave a sufficient answer, but in hindsight, I was rambling cause she said at the beginning that I should keep my answers succinct and felt pressured to keep the interview short. She was probably checking that the Japanese teacher understood what I said.
-"You've been to Japan before, you have your impression of Japanese culture, how would you challenge it?" ... I'm still not quite sure that I understand this question. I answered with "why would I challenge it?".
-The Japanese teacher asked me some **** easy questions in Japanese like "what's your name", "where are you from" and "what time is it?" and my answers were "********です", "モンテアラルにきます" and "きゅうじ ええ。。。じゅうじです" (I had no clue what time it was and I confuse 9/10 all the time).
-They asked me to do a demo on 'comparatives and superlatives'. I almost **** my pants and the Programme coordinator could tell that I had no clue what that was since she had to 'break out of her student role' to explain it to me again when they'd already explained it to me twice. Add a sleeping student, a bored student, and students who are poking each other with highlighters, pencils and other sharp objects... I panicked and forgot what I was supposed to teach.

I prepped for this interview and went through so many possible questions they might ask me. In the end, they asked me very simple and basic questions. I'm not even sure they had my application in front of them even though they mentioned something I said in my SOP between each other, but never asked me about it. I was expecting a good cop/bad cop kind of scenario where I had to remain very 'Japanese' and very professional. When I realized that wasn't the case, I relaxed and started being more 'myself'. Couldn't get any eye contact with the Japanese teacher. No one shook my hand or bowed at me. When the Programme Coordinator said "おつかれさまです", no one repeated it but me... and I kinda mumbled it quickly cause I realized I was the only one, but I thought it would be rude not to.

I left feeling that they quite liked me. I didn't smile very much. I don't think I was particularly memorable. I tried to exude confidence but I think that only came across about 75% of the time. I'm sure I looked panicked during my demo.

Time to put this behind me and occupy myself for the next 7 weeks!

Lychee
February 27th, 2012, 13:42
Doesn't sound like it went too bad! Better that you didn't force yourself to smile more than came naturally as opposed to pulling a Tyra.

http://i.imgur.com/meAt7.gif

Merkypie
February 27th, 2012, 19:11
Doesn't sound like it went too bad! Better that you didn't force yourself to smile more than came naturally as opposed to pulling a Tyra.

http://i.imgur.com/meAt7.gif

Tyra is a flawless queen, you take that back.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m01atsLdNg1r0ymogo1_250.gif

Well, interview today. I'll let you know if I bombed.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m01330RYTt1rozurfo1_250.gif

Merrick
February 27th, 2012, 23:19
GOOD LUCK, MERKYPIE!!!!!!!!

I know you'll do awesome!!!! Just make sure everything's buttoned and zipped and that you have a big smile on your face! :D :D :D

Lychee
February 28th, 2012, 03:34
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m01330RYTt1rozurfo1_250.gif
bahahaha.

Good luck!!!

Merkypie
February 28th, 2012, 07:44
Back from the interview. It was terrible. I choked on everything. I don't think I got the job.

lol jk. It went really smoothly, like a convo. Felt very confident. Some things tried to trip me up but other wise I think it went really well for an interview. Now I wait in about two weeks for ED results.

hunterofpeace
February 28th, 2012, 08:02
Back from the interview. It was terrible. I choked on everything. I don't think I got the job.

lol jk. It went really smoothly, like a convo. Felt very confident. Some things tried to trip me up but other wise I think it went really well for an interview. Now I wait in about two weeks for ED results.

When I read the first bit, I thought "wut?" Then I saw the rest. Figure you've got a fairly good shot.

Sorry about your ED problems though. Hope they get resolved quickly and painlessly. :)

Merkypie
February 28th, 2012, 09:04
When I read the first bit, I thought "wut?" Then I saw the rest. Figure you've got a fairly good shot.

Sorry about your ED problems though. Hope they get resolved quickly and painlessly. :)

Just gotta be confident. I learned there's really no way to prepare for this interview.

LOL oh you.

WishfulDreamer
February 28th, 2012, 12:38

At first I went, "Oh nooooooo" and then saw the rest hahaha. Good for you! :D

mrcharisma
February 28th, 2012, 12:54
Don't worry folks and good luck.
I left my interview with a deep feeling of uncertainty. I knew I'd nailed some questions but then I thought I had utterly blown it on others.
I wonder for anyone in Scotland - did they do the same thing again this year of the happy talktiive Japanese guy, the stern foreigner, and the quiet as sin Japanese guy?

Was it 2011 you got those 3 in Edinburgh?

I got a young Japanese Final Fantasy lookalike who said nothing and looked disinterested, a cheerful older Japanese guy and a stern Irish ex-JET who didn't seem the type to let the wool get pulled over his eyes.

Knew I was in when the Irish guy reacted well to my obscure news story and when I mentioned that I fancied taking up baseball.

Merkypie
February 29th, 2012, 02:05
At first I went, "Oh nooooooo" and then saw the rest hahaha. Good for you! :D

XD Yeaaah, thanks :D Thought I put one last fail troll attempt in there.

I walked out of there feeling really good and I think that's all that counts. I said what I wanted to say, not elegantly, but I tried to convey what I wanted to say the best I could while not trying to freak out.

I was like, " Well, I hope my SOP carried my intentions well enough "

Ah well. No regrets. If not anything, it was worth the experience on being on the 32nd floor of a tall high rise in florida, lmfao.

keiko
February 29th, 2012, 03:50
Ah well. No regrets. If not anything, it was worth the experience on being on the 32nd floor of a tall high rise in florida, lmfao.

You beat me. Ours was only on the 16th floor.

I walked out feeling awesome and smiley but as the elevator rapidly descended so did my confidence. They were all "Say hi to xx sensei!" and the security man at the door was like "See you again for the next part!" Jinxed.

TheDoctor
February 29th, 2012, 05:10
Don't know if they were telling the truth or not......but a kiwi on the official forum private messaged me a couple weeks ago and mentioned that they got offered a place within a week of interviewing (early departure obvs) so they're getting ready to leave really soon. Not sure how many early departures are offered in NZ but if this person was legit looks like at least one

Sorry, i should have said "like 12 will be chosen from the entire US".

bananallanah
February 29th, 2012, 08:50

Oh yeah I figured you meant 12 from the US but I thought I'd just spark some hope in you all and let you know that people are already being chosen for early departure even if it is in NZ

ashley41430
February 29th, 2012, 08:50
Hi all, this is my first post...today was my interview, and I only heard about the forums a few days prior. It was kind of funny because the former JETs who were hosting the interviews were saying that everyone who came in for an interview was terrified because of things they read on the forums, but then when they came out of their interviews, nearly everyone said something along the lines of, "Thank god that was nothing like what they said on the forum!" They were mostly talking about all the stories of being interrogated about what you put on your application, and being asked rapid fire questions about general Japan knowledge - the JETs there said that they hadn't heard any stories of that throughout the entire week of interviews.

I'm not sure if the panels were just nicer this year, but I had a really pleasant experience and it seems like everyone who interviewed around my time did as well. I didn't get any questions about general Japan knowledge, and the former JETs thought that maybe the panels use those questions if they think you don't know much and are trying to test you, although I can't say for sure that's the case.

Anyway, like someone said earlier, my interview felt a bit like a conversation, and at the end, they shook my hand very enthusiastically and said, "It was SUCH a pleasure to meet you!" So, I hope they aren't just THAT GOOD at being polite and they meant it earnestly, ha. But I felt pretty confident - but I don't want to jinx it! So I will just say that I felt it went well and that I did the very best I could, and so at this point, it's out of my hands.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed until April...and it's nice to "meet" all of you.

Takoyaki
February 29th, 2012, 09:42

Haha you had me shocked for a second there too!!
Good to hear everything went well =)

Merkypie
February 29th, 2012, 10:10

Well, there's 20 consulates and of those 20, 17 are departure cities so... That's interesting. I wonder where you heard this though....

You beat me. Ours was only on the 16th floor.

I walked out feeling awesome and smiley but as the elevator rapidly descended so did my confidence. They were all "Say hi to xx sensei!" and the security man at the door was like "See you again for the next part!" Jinxed.

It was a weird elevator ride to the 32nd floor. 16th wouldn't have made so freaked out lol

Aw, don't say that. Keep riding that confidence out at least another two weeks. lol

Haha you had me shocked for a second there too!!
Good to hear everything went well =)

Ahaha :D thanks ^^

Merkypie
February 29th, 2012, 10:14
Hi all, this is my first post...today was my interview, and I only heard about the forums a few days prior. It was kind of funny because the former JETs who were hosting the interviews were saying that everyone who came in for an interview was terrified because of things they read on the forums, but then when they came out of their interviews, nearly everyone said something along the lines of, "Thank god that was nothing like what they said on the forum!" They were mostly talking about all the stories of being interrogated about what you put on your application, and being asked rapid fire questions about general Japan knowledge - the JETs there said that they hadn't heard any stories of that throughout the entire week of interviews.

I'm not sure if the panels were just nicer this year, but I had a really pleasant experience and it seems like everyone who interviewed around my time did as well. I didn't get any questions about general Japan knowledge, and the former JETs thought that maybe the panels use those questions if they think you don't know much and are trying to test you, although I can't say for sure that's the case.

Anyway, like someone said earlier, my interview felt a bit like a conversation, and at the end, they shook my hand very enthusiastically and said, "It was SUCH a pleasure to meet you!" So, I hope they aren't just THAT GOOD at being polite and they meant it earnestly, ha. But I felt pretty confident - but I don't want to jinx it! So I will just say that I felt it went well and that I did the very best I could, and so at this point, it's out of my hands.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed until April...and it's nice to "meet" all of you.

Good to read :) I think your batch was just generally nice folks. I've heard that the bigger consulates still have some war tribunals. I would give more details about my interview but gag order. I will say that there were things that I had a feeling were there to throw me off but it wasn't so obvious. Or at least to me...

I just felt really prepared. Ah. And it sounds like you were too. So, good luck to you and hopefully you get shortlisted in April :)

ashley41430
February 29th, 2012, 10:19
Thanks! I'll take all the luck I can get, ha. And good luck to you, too! It was good to feel confident. And actually, I was at the NYC consulate, which is one of the largest, and apparently (surprisingly!) one of the friendliest, too.

I'm freaking out about waiting until April, though, LOL. Too far away! But I'll try to stay confident until then!

andsoyouknow
February 29th, 2012, 12:09
EDIT: nvm

On another note, the waiting part is a pain in my arse. I thought once I got the interview over with, I'll be good to go but no. The wait sucks.

4 more weeks of this? wtffffff

ashley41430
February 29th, 2012, 12:52
I know, I think the waiting is actually worse after the interview - maybe because it's the last step, really, with the exception of background checks/health forms, and unless I used to be a criminal and don't know about it, I think I should be fine there. :D So I just want it to be April already!

TheDoctor
February 29th, 2012, 17:51
EDIT: nvm

On another note, the waiting part is a pain in my arse. I thought once I got the interview over with, I'll be good to go but no. The wait sucks.

4 more weeks of this? wtffffff

lol 4 weeks...

last year results came out on 4/15

so a bit more than 4 weeks

TheDoctor
February 29th, 2012, 17:54
Well, there's 20 consulates and of those 20, 17 are departure cities so... That's interesting. I wonder where you heard this though....

from someone who interviews for JET

Takoyaki
February 29th, 2012, 18:33
yeaaaa im still guessing it will be about another 50 days or so in interview notification purgatory, waiting i can deal with, since most would have been doing so since sept/oct

its the not knowing thats hard......

uthinkimlost?
February 29th, 2012, 18:45
4 weeks is nothing, nooblets.

Beth James
February 29th, 2012, 19:02
Thanks! I'll take all the luck I can get, ha. And good luck to you, too! It was good to feel confident. And actually, I was at the NYC consulate, which is one of the largest, and apparently (surprisingly!) one of the friendliest, too.

Cosigned.

Merkypie
March 1st, 2012, 01:34
from someone who interviews for JET

Interesting cause someone else told me that there was 4 spots total that someone told them at their consulate.

Well, whatever. We'll find out how many spots there are in two weeks.

TheDoctor
March 1st, 2012, 04:06
Not that it matters.

This person seems to think the entire idea is asinine.

Merkypie
March 1st, 2012, 05:17
Not that it matters.

This person seems to think the entire idea is asinine.

Well my cousin's brother's sister-in-law's friend's aunt thinks it's absolutely ideal.

dvae
March 1st, 2012, 08:27
The more I think back to my interview the more I dread that what I thought was okay was actually awful. I just need to get it out of my head otherwise in 4/5 weeks time I think I'll have driven myself insane.

Jiggit
March 1st, 2012, 08:42
The more I think back to my interview the more I dread that what I thought was okay was actually awful. I just need to get it out of my head otherwise in 4/5 weeks time I think I'll have driven myself insane.

There's no point worrying over it. I was convinced that I'd mucked up because all of my questions were really generic apart from a couple which I failed at. So I was convinced I'd fail because I got the obviously correct questions fine (What would you do if you wanted to take a holiday but your school wanted you to work?) but didn't sell myself on anything more serious.

But I'm here now so that shows you all the worrying was pointless.

Really you can't affect it either way. I would start thinking about other plans to distract yourself then if you get JET it'll be like a nice surprise!

dvae
March 1st, 2012, 08:44
There's no point worrying over it. I was convinced that I'd mucked up because all of my questions were really generic apart from a couple which I failed at. So I was convinced I'd fail because I got the obviously correct questions fine (What would you do if you wanted to take a holiday but your school wanted you to work?) but didn't sell myself on anything more serious.

But I'm here now so that shows you all the worrying was pointless.

Really you can't affect it either way. I would start thinking about other plans to distract yourself then if you get JET it'll be like a nice surprise!

I know that worrying about it won't help. I'm starting a new temporary job on monday which should take my mind off thinking about how I've fared.

Prospective
March 1st, 2012, 17:40
I got an email from the Victorian JET coordinator today and my heart skipped a beat!

Turns out she just was letting everyone know her email changed. "The results for April candidates will be released later this month. If you do not hear from me at this time it means that you have not been picked up for the early intake, but may still be considered for a July departure. July JETs will receive their results in April with placement details being confirmed in May."

So basically no new info. FML.

Takoyaki
March 1st, 2012, 19:19
I got an email from the Victorian JET coordinator today and my heart skipped a beat!

Turns out she just was letting everyone know her email changed. "The results for April candidates will be released later this month. If you do not hear from me at this time it means that you have not been picked up for the early intake, but may still be considered for a July departure. July JETs will receive their results in April with placement details being confirmed in May."

So basically no new info. FML.

Hahaha I had the exact same experience today
At first I was like
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=41130433

But then I was all
http://0.tqn.com/d/webtrends/1/0/B/A/-/-/okay-meme-face.jpg

jwkelley
March 2nd, 2012, 00:54
You can get some strange things during interviews, during mine the Japanese lady had a son about to join border patrol. I turned down border patrol about a year before and somehow it came up. Half the interviewed was spent on that, mostly because i think she was trying to figure out why her son would want to join the border patrol. I think one of the main reasons i got in is because she did not want her son to join border patrol and i somehow reflect that.

morningmimi
March 14th, 2012, 01:37
You can get some strange things during interviews, during mine the Japanese lady had a son about to join border patrol. I turned down border patrol about a year before and somehow it came up. Half the interviewed was spent on that, mostly because i think she was trying to figure out why her son would want to join the border patrol. I think one of the main reasons i got in is because she did not want her son to join border patrol and i somehow reflect that.

So you got to got into JET because you didn't care enough about America to join boarder control!? You're an asshole, Joey.

jwkelley
March 14th, 2012, 02:33
So you got to got into JET because you didn't care enough about America to join boarder control!? You're an asshole, Joey.

Thats it mimi your dokidoki ring is going to be used as a prince albert.

bananallanah
March 14th, 2012, 06:17
Thats it mimi your dokidoki ring is going to be used as a prince albert.

Perhaps appropriately the word mimi in the maori language means pee/urine.

Lianwen
March 14th, 2012, 09:43

I'm freaking out about waiting until April, though, LOL. Too far away! But I'll try to stay confident until then!

Ditto-ing this. I know a person on the panel, and last year she was relieved when I told her I was interviewing in NYC and told me DC would have made me run out of the room crying because they are `mean, very very mean.`

Kirari
March 17th, 2012, 15:25
I interviewed in Atlanta, and one of the recruiters (a former JET) told me I'd hear by the end of the first week in April. So I'm banking on April 6th. Of course, April 6th could come and go with no answer. I think I might step right over the crazy line if that happens, though.

I had a bit of a shock this past week when I received an email from the Atlanta office (actually, I think it was from that same former JET from my interview session). It turns out she was just reminding everyone to get their FBI forms in, but I had almost fallen out of my chair when I saw the word "JET" in my inbox.

She sent another mail a few days later, again about the FBI. I mailed her back to confirm I had mailed my stuff, and added that I was looking forward to JET's decision. She wrote back (the day before yesterday) and said that they "will be back in touch soon." SOON! Soon? Maybe "soon" doesn't mean midway through April, maybe it means much earlier than that! But she used a period at the end of her very short sentence. If it was an exclamation mark or a heart or something, I would feel much better about it. Curse the non-use of emoticons in professional email!

LOL, I feel like a middle school girl hyper-analyzing some boy's text.

andnever
March 17th, 2012, 21:08
I interviewed in Montreal. The second I got there, there was a sign on the door that said we'll hear back on the week of April 16th. The ex-JETs at the door repeated it while we were waiting and the Programme coordinator also repeated it at the end of my interview. I'm surprised other consulates gave earlier dates. Maybe this is just a precaution they took so they don't get bombarded by e-mails and phone calls at the beginning of April.

Takoyaki
March 18th, 2012, 07:41
6y4QRv5faho

Kirari
March 18th, 2012, 08:12
@kitsune_daifuku

True story. As an Asian Studies major, I have seen plenty of that going around. Though I haven't watched anime in at least five years, I have to admit that it was part of what made me want to learn more about Japan in the first place. But I took great care not to mention anime or anything that would liken me to those "Japan is cho kawaiiiiiii!" people. I stuck to talking about Kurosawa films and such. I hope it was believable but didn't sound like I thought I was the shit because I knew about Kurosawa (cuz who doesn't?). It was just the more adult, educated part of the truth. I think. :)

Takoyaki
March 18th, 2012, 10:29
@kitsune_daifuku

True story. As an Asian Studies major, I have seen plenty of that going around. Though I haven't watched anime in at least five years, I have to admit that it was part of what made me want to learn more about Japan in the first place. But I took great care not to mention anime or anything that would liken me to those "Japan is cho kawaiiiiiii!" people. I stuck to talking about Kurosawa films and such. I hope it was believable but didn't sound like I thought I was the shit because I knew about Kurosawa (cuz who doesn't?). It was just the more adult, educated part of the truth. I think. :)

ahaha the best bit is the 'man im so freakin jenki!'
I don't think there is particularity anything wrong with being interested in Japanese pop culture, there are a few anime series out there that are just really amazing cinema. As long as your not basing your entire perception of the country off it i think your average applicant would be in the green

this is pretty good!
x86h2RvAw7A

Kirari
March 18th, 2012, 14:52
ahaha the best bit is the 'man im so freakin jenki!'
I don't think there is particularity anything wrong with being interested in Japanese pop culture, there are a few anime series out there that are just really amazing cinema. As long as your not basing your entire perception of the country off it i think your average applicant would be in the green

this is pretty good!

I know, I love the 'jenki' bit! I want that line on a t-shirt. And that second video reeeeallly puts things into perpective, haha! Fairly Oddparents, lol.

I saw a j-drama last year that illustrated various Japanophile foreigners. Never having been to Japan myself, it seemed quite stereotype-y (for comedic effect), but then again, there's a reason those stereotypes came about~ I think it was called Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo, about young woman teaching Japanese to foreigners. There was the Italian manga-obsessed guy; a young Russian woman who thinks ninjas are real and wants to become one; an older French woman who romanticizes the yakuza from what she's seen in movies; a rude, obnoxious American who won't give up his seat to old people on the bus and plays his music really loudly.... and more. You get the picture. Anyway, hilarious in a campy sort of way, and kind of interesting to see foreigners from the Japanese point of view.
1iSSBVEFwDc

Edit: Long clip is long, sorry. I think it's the whole episode, actually. Oops~

Eudox
March 18th, 2012, 17:49
1iSSBVEFwDc

I really enjoyed watching this - and learnt some vocab and kanji in the process! The classroom scene is pretty much exactly like when I ask my JTEs anything about Japanese... Thanks for sharing.

It's pretty incredible how openly racist it is though.

Prospective
March 18th, 2012, 19:56
In the defence of the "rude, obnoxious American" character, the reason he doesn't give up his seat is because he's burning the candle at both ends between learning Japanese and working in a ramen bar and getting yelled at by his boss for not doing things right. :^_^:

Takoyaki
March 18th, 2012, 20:23
ohhhhh this show is funny!!! me gusta!

ashley41430
March 19th, 2012, 00:25
I had a bit of a shock this past week when I received an email from the Atlanta office (actually, I think it was from that same former JET from my interview session). It turns out she was just reminding everyone to get their FBI forms in, but I had almost fallen out of my chair when I saw the word "JET" in my inbox.

At the risk of an onslaught of ridicule for not knowing the answer to this question already (LOL), am I supposed to have sent my FBI form in by now? They didn't say anything about this at the NYC consulate and I haven't gotten any emails. I thought you waited to do those things until you heard for sure whether or not you got in. Should I send that out? It's probably a "better to do it now and not need it than do it later and not get it in time" thing, right?

Kirari
March 19th, 2012, 01:44
Glad some of you enjoyed the show! If I remember correctly, there are eight episodes. Just search 日本人の知らない日本語 if you want to see more.

At the risk of an onslaught of ridicule for not knowing the answer to this question already (LOL), am I supposed to have sent my FBI form in by now? They didn't say anything about this at the NYC consulate and I haven't gotten any emails. I thought you waited to do those things until you heard for sure whether or not you got in. Should I send that out? It's probably a "better to do it now and not need it than do it later and not get it in time" thing, right?

Yes, it's probably best you do it as soon as you can. Here is part of the email I was sent, which explains it a little:

"Thank you for interviewing for the 2012 JET Program. This email is a reminder that all successful short-list candidates and alternate candidates (ALTs and CIRs) must obtain an FBI Identification Record verifying no offenses for the last five years and then submit it to the Atlanta JET Desk no later than June 20, 2012. Although interview results have not yet been announced, we recommend that you submit your application for this record as soon as possible because processing can take between 16-18 weeks in busy seasons. We request that you submit a photocopy of your application form to the Atlanta JET Desk. Details can be found at FBI — Criminal Background Check (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/). Please note that those who have requested early departure but are not selected for early departure MUST obtain a new FBI Identification Record."

While they specifically say Atlanta, I think the FBI processing times show that every interviewee should get going with it as soon as possible. BTW, the FBI place I had to send it to was in West Virginia. West Virginia? Hmm...

lilyanphino
March 19th, 2012, 06:39
Yeah, please get that FBI check done now. I waited until I was short listed to get it and I had so many issues that it was ridiculous. I actually think it was October or something when the consulate finally got my results.

Kirari
March 19th, 2012, 07:11
Okay. I have to put something out here. It's been in the back of my mind since the interview, but after reading some of the threads here, it's made its way screaming to the forefront. Okay, here goes.

I sort of... lied on my application. I didn't really think of it as a lie at the time, just that I was leaving a tiny bit of non-essential information out. At the time that I was initially filling out the application, I was in the middle of talks with Interac - I had a phone interview (which I passed) and all - and they make it abundantly clear that you are going to a rural or isolated area and you will have to drive. Even though that situation is not a deal breaker for me, I'm not that great of a driver and don't feel comfortable with it. So on my JET app, I did not say that I had a driver's license.

However. In my JET interview, this was brought up, of course. It didn't occur to me until after the interview that they had taken my driver's license and cell phone beforehand (they were doing that for everyone) and now knew that I had a license. But when the interviewer asked me about what I had said on my application, I told the truth and said that yes, I do have a license, but I'm not good at/comfortable with driving. She said so that means you prefer somewhere that has public transport? I said yes. In the pause after that, I gathered my wits and said that but if a rural situation was what they had available, I would certainly brush up on my driving skills and get an international license. *big smile at interviewers*

So what do you guys think? Have I totally disqualified myself because of the discrepancy between my application and what I said in the interview?

WishfulDreamer
March 19th, 2012, 09:16
Okay. I have to put something out here. It's been in the back of my mind since the interview, but after reading some of the threads here, it's made its way screaming to the forefront. Okay, here goes.

I sort of... lied on my application. I didn't really think of it as a lie at the time, just that I was leaving a tiny bit of non-essential information out. At the time that I was initially filling out the application, I was in the middle of talks with Interac - I had a phone interview (which I passed) and all - and they make it abundantly clear that you are going to a rural or isolated area and you will have to drive. Even though that situation is not a deal breaker for me, I'm not that great of a driver and don't feel comfortable with it. So on my JET app, I did not say that I had a driver's license.

However. In my JET interview, this was brought up, of course. It didn't occur to me until after the interview that they had taken my driver's license and cell phone beforehand (they were doing that for everyone) and now knew that I had a license. But when the interviewer asked me about what I had said on my application, I told the truth and said that yes, I do have a license, but I'm not good at/comfortable with driving. She said so that means you prefer somewhere that has public transport? I said yes. In the pause after that, I gathered my wits and said that but if a rural situation was what they had available, I would certainly brush up on my driving skills and get an international license. *big smile at interviewers*

So what do you guys think? Have I totally disqualified myself because of the discrepancy between my application and what I said in the interview?
I don't remember the application asking you exclusively if you had a license, only if you had one AND were comfortable with driving. Because I checked no even though I have a license myself; I've had it for five years, but do not feel comfortable driving as I don't even have a car here and haven't used my license at all since starting college.

Update: Yes, I checked the application again and the driver's license question only asks if you would be comfortable and have one, so saying no isn't a lie :)

ashley41430
March 19th, 2012, 09:17
Ah, thanks for the info about criminal background checks - I'll get it done just in case. Let's hope I end up needing it. :D

Kirari
March 19th, 2012, 11:07
I don't remember the application asking you exclusively if you had a license, only if you had one AND were comfortable with driving. Because I checked no even though I have a license myself; I've had it for five years, but do not feel comfortable driving as I don't even have a car here and haven't used my license at all since starting college.

Update: Yes, I checked the application again and the driver's license question only asks if you would be comfortable and have one, so saying no isn't a lie :)

Oh, thank you. That does make me feel a bit better.

scimredopyh
April 8th, 2012, 12:02
Yeah, please get that FBI check done now. I waited until I was short listed to get it and I had so many issues that it was ridiculous. I actually think it was October or something when the consulate finally got my results.

So your background check being late didn't prevent you from heading to Japan?

Lianwen
April 8th, 2012, 12:12
So your background check being late didn't prevent you from heading to Japan?

Somes the consulates will let you submit a state check until your FBI check comes. I didn`t get my check from the FBI until the day of pre-departure and I requested it when I was short listed.

Get your tax papers in too asap. I did mine at the same time as the FBI check, but didn`t get papers for tax exemption until the end of January.

lilyanphino
April 8th, 2012, 13:20
As long as you get your state background check in on time, you shouldn't have any problems. You just have to get your FBI background check in eventually.

morningmimi
April 12th, 2012, 21:59
I was alternative last year but didn't make it in at all this year. the only thing that changed is that I put on my application that I was taking acting lessons and in the interview I told them I had been on TV and a few indie movies. Do you think they held that against me? like im just gonna try to go over there and act or something?

ALSO this girl I went to college who got into JET post photos on facebook of her COSPLAYING during class. How the crap did someone like her get in and someone like me totally not? Does JET really want people to think americans are all like that!? Apparently they have more of a need for frumpy otaku than hot blonds with big boobs. forget them. i'm done JET I am so over you.

wicket
April 12th, 2012, 22:15
frumpy chicks make better teachers than hot blonds with big norks. you'd probably just distract the kiddies. go find something fun.

TheDoctor
April 12th, 2012, 22:21
I was alternative last year but didn't make it in at all this year. the only thing that changed is that I put on my application that I was taking acting lessons and in the interview I told them I had been on TV and a few indie movies. Do you think they held that against me? like im just gonna try to go over there and act or something?

ALSO this girl I went to college who got into JET post photos on facebook of her COSPLAYING during class. How the crap did someone like her get in and someone like me totally not? Does JET really want people to think americans are all like that!? Apparently they have more of a need for frumpy otaku than hot blonds with big boobs. forget them. i'm done JET I am so over you.

Luck of the draw.

Now...stop lying to yourself. You are as much of, if not more of, a weeaboo than your frumpy friend.

Fabrune
April 13th, 2012, 01:23
I feel your pain morningmimi. I was an alternate last year, and now I'm an alternate this year. The frustration of being in limbo for a year, only to be told to wait again is like adding salt to the wound. Weeaboos being accepted doesn't bother me as much as I just want to know WHY my application and/or interview wasn't good? At least that would give me the ability to fix whatever is the issue. I realize that JET is competitive, but it still stings.

Merkypie
April 13th, 2012, 03:53
Maybe you lacked personality. Maybe you lacked passion. Maybe you weren't "genki" enough. Maybe you got complacent or maybe you weren't weeaboo enough and relied too much on your tits to get the job.

Ainigi
April 13th, 2012, 04:08

As someone who is just finishing up her theater acting diploma this month and who is shortlisted, I doubt that acting is what was working against you. In fact working as an ALT or at an Eikaiwa in Japan a big portion of it is acting IMHO. Quite frankly I wouldn't want to work for anyone who bases their hiring strategy based on boobs and hair colour. Outside of film, this doesn't fly with me.

coop52
April 13th, 2012, 14:47
Count your rejection as a blessing. If you came, you'd have kids screaming "big bust!" at you all the time and trying to grab them. I say this from experience.

Lianwen
April 13th, 2012, 14:56
^Or hitting them and yelling out "uso" when you stand up in the girls line for school lunch.

Jiggit
April 13th, 2012, 15:09
You should try having a big penis, it's a nightmare.

bananallanah
April 13th, 2012, 15:09
^Or hitting them and yelling out "uso" when you stand up in the girls line for school lunch.

I have so much to look forward to :|

coop52
April 13th, 2012, 15:11
There was a girl one time who poked my boob and exclaimed "it's pudding!" I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Jiggit
April 13th, 2012, 15:12
There was a girl one time who poked my boob and exclaimed "it's pudding!" I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

What a cute story! How old was she?

coop52
April 13th, 2012, 15:15
3rd year JHS, so 15? Are you jealous or something?

It's actually pretty weird how fast sexual harassment just becomes a normal part of life here.

Jiggit
April 13th, 2012, 15:23
3rd year JHS, so 15? Are you jealous or something?

It's actually pretty weird how fast sexual harassment just becomes a normal part of life here.

Unless you're in high school, disappointingly. Though they're too mature by then tbh.

coop52
April 13th, 2012, 15:29
I'm currently at high school, used to be JHS. High school kids don't really do the sexual harassing anymore, other than boys trying to get their mack on. Too bad for them I'm not a pedo.

Lianwen
April 13th, 2012, 15:45
Last years 3rd years I rode the bus with would try to pick me up in English. That was actually fun.

AVN
April 14th, 2012, 20:21
Nursery school kids seem to be especially amused by busts and butts.
I had a little girl poke my boob and exclaim "trampoline!" This led to other girls wanting to try it out. There had to be a talk about not touching the ALT there.

I had another girl poke my butt cheek (not a kancho) and say "My mother doesn't have one of these". Later I met her mother and it was true she did not have one.

Jiggit
April 16th, 2012, 14:08
I had another girl poke my butt cheek (not a kancho) and say "My mother doesn't have one of these". Later I met her mother and it was true she did not have one.

LOOOOOOOOL

Page
April 17th, 2012, 09:53
Please post pictures of your boobs in AG and we can tell you whether or not they would have improved your chances.

Before I get modded: it was her fault for bring up her salacious breasts and beautiful, American blonde hair. Why didn't you get in, indeed!

Stupid people get in all the time, just look at the members list of placenta smoothie recipe website ithinkimnotaweeaboo.com.

Gezora
April 17th, 2012, 23:52
Stupid people get in all the time, just look at the members list of placenta smoothie recipe website ithinkimnotaweeaboo.com.
Can we please change the site's official name and description to this?

hunterofpeace
April 18th, 2012, 07:18
Can we please change the site's official name and description to this?

Seconded

TheDoctor
April 18th, 2012, 16:35
buying domain now.