PDA

View Full Version : need to be in America after interview?

enthuesd
February 27th, 2012, 23:09
Hello all,

Now that the interview is over is there any reason that I would need to be in the USA from here on out? I found a job overseas until July that I want to take.

If I'm a short list candidate, may I do the medical examination abroad or maybe even now? May I apply for the FBI check now?

Thanks for the help.

Merrick
February 27th, 2012, 23:14
Yes, you will need to be in america close to the consulate you interviewed at. From what I can understand, you will be called several times to the consulate for training and other events until departure.

uthinkimlost?
February 27th, 2012, 23:15
Hello all,

Now that the interview is over is there any reason that I would need to be in the USA from here on out? I found a job overseas until July that I want to take.

If I'm a short list candidate, may I do the medical examination abroad or maybe even now? May I apply for the FBI check now?

Thanks for the help.

Lots to be done you should be there for. July is pushing it.

enthuesd
February 28th, 2012, 06:42
Thanks for the quick replies. I received contradicting information from a JET representative:

"As far as the health form is concerned it just needs to be filled out in English.

If you are selected you just need to have regular access to the internet.

I hope this information is helpful."

Merkypie
February 28th, 2012, 07:47
Each consulate runs things differently. You'll find out how they go about things once you make it that far in the process.

Page
February 28th, 2012, 09:08
No offense to Merrick, but that's just not true. You won't need to be nearby (that would make life terrible for people who live 5+ hours away from theirs). You just need to be there to fly out with your group (you can choose different US consulates to fly out with as long as their in the same Group [A, B]). There will be orientations but they are certainly not mandatory since people are busy/don't live close enough. I interviewed at one place and flew out from another, never went to any of the orientations. Can be they fun and useful? Yes. Do you have to? No.

Don't listen to these naysayers. If you get all your ducks in a row (send off for your FBI check, tax forms, get your health check) and organize someone to take care of it for you, why the hell not. A possible job isn't any reason to sit around on your thumb.

uthinkimlost?
February 28th, 2012, 09:51
No offense to Merrick, but that's just not true. You won't need to be nearby (that would make life terrible for people who live 5+ hours away from theirs). You just need to be there to fly out with your group (you can choose different US consulates to fly out with as long as their in the same Group [A, B]). There will be orientations but they are certainly not mandatory since people are busy/don't live close enough. I interviewed at one place and flew out from another, never went to any of the orientations. Can be they fun and useful? Yes. Do you have to? No.

Don't listen to these naysayers. If you get all your ducks in a row (send off for your FBI check, tax forms, get your health check) and organize someone to take care of it for you, why the hell not. A possible job isn't any reason to sit around on your thumb.

This is true.

If you're not an alternate.

Page
February 28th, 2012, 09:59
This is also a valid point. A good reason to do all your paperwork ahead of time just in case.

3liter6
February 28th, 2012, 17:14
At some point they're gonna want your passport, probably best to not be out of the country when that time comes.

EDIT: If you think you have any shot of getting JET go ahead and apply for the background check now. I knew I was going to be shortlisted, so I applied before the interview and IIRC maybe only got it a month or so before departure.

jwkelley
February 28th, 2012, 17:25
I was working in Korea before i left and was only home for the interview and the orientation right before the flight. For the medical form I had an English speaking Korean doctor fill it out. I am pretty sure you are ok, but double check about foreign background checks with your consulate.

Page
February 29th, 2012, 08:26
3liter has a good point! You'll want to make sure you'll be able to get your passport back before you leave. I think the year I left I didn't get my passport back until the day-before-we-left orientation.

Gizmotech
February 29th, 2012, 13:42
My passport was submitted a month before departure, and I did not get it back until the day before departure at the pre-departure ceremonies orientation (along with my tickets). The only mandatory thing was the ceremony/orientation the day before departure, everything else was optional... though it was stressed if you lived in range of it you were expected to be there for it. There were definitely people who flew out of my town who were not at any of the pre-departure stuff, and frankly I started skipping out on most of it too as it was just a colossal waste of time.

I don't know how much attendance matters for alternates, as I doubt your involvement in those little things matters at all, and I would assume that the alternates list was ordered by score just like the shortlist was.

Page
February 29th, 2012, 15:05
Yeah. Best bet would be to contact your consulate if you're shortlisted. They may be able to send yours separately and get it sent to you abroad BUT I don't know if I'd trust that depending on where you're going (not to mention leaving your passports fate to the postal service). You'd probably not want to wander around a foreign country passport-less.

AVN
February 29th, 2012, 20:45
Just to be clear exceptions can be made. It all depends on your situation and your consulate. Not sure about this particular case as when you applied you weren't abroad but my best advice would be to contact your consulate ASAP.

I applied while living in Japan. I flew home for the interview but that was it. I didn't have to attend any of the sessions and I was able to depart from within in Japan. My BOE actually loved that, I saved them a ton of money. There were about a dozen of us. The only difference we had to go to orientation A no matter what country we were from. I was the only Canadian at my orientation as the rest of them came in group B.

I had to get the documents from my BOE and go to immigration of my own expense. I got the visa put in on my own so my passport never left my side.
I had been open about my intent to stay in Japan right from the beginning and it was never an issue.
I even got my visa early because my prior visa ran out before my contract started. My only issue will be at the end of my third year my visa will run out a few weeks before my contract. My BOE is still deciding what to do about that.

lilyanphino
February 29th, 2012, 21:30
Honestly, it depends on where you will be overseas. If it's somewhere in Japan or a country that sends out JETs, it will be a lot easier for you since they will just "transfer" you over to the nearest consulate for departure-stuff. If you are in a non-JET country, then it will be a lot harder.

Merrick
March 1st, 2012, 03:47

"Training sessions and mandatory Pre-Departure Orientations are hosted by the Embassy and Japanese Consulates."

So, at least one of them is mandatory. I concede there's a chance I was referencing some info specific to my consulate in my original post.

Page
March 1st, 2012, 13:05
Only the pre-departure orientation (the one you have the day before you leave) is mandatory, didn't mention that because I thought that one was obvious. I was referring to the other ones throughout the summer.

AVN
March 2nd, 2012, 23:22
Only the pre-departure orientation (the one you have the day before you leave) is mandatory, didn't mention that because I thought that one was obvious. I was referring to the other ones throughout the summer.

Always exceptions. I attended no pre-departure orientations whatsoever as I was in Japan the whole time. I stayed in Japan and went straight to TO.

Page
March 5th, 2012, 09:06
Didn't say there wasn't. Lets playing the semantics game, guys! OP Call your consulate after you've been shortlisted.

Froren
March 8th, 2012, 13:14
I lived across the US from my interview location. Only needed to be back for the PDO as Page stated. Had to mail a few things to the consulate, including my passport, but unless you're just dying to go to the absolutely worthless optional orientation, it doesn't matter.

greengoo
March 8th, 2012, 23:59

No offense to Page, but that's just not true. We had (only) one meeting post-interview which we were told was 100% mandatory for our consulate. I guess they could have been lying, but we were told we HAD to be there. It was held at the ambassador's house, it was a pretty massive affair.

TheDoctor
March 12th, 2012, 15:14
my avatar is better

Page
March 13th, 2012, 10:43
Because every consulate runs the same way, amirite? If consulates didn't offer exceptions a considerable number of shortlisters would be boned.

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/jicc/images/consulate-map-us.jpg

OP what kind of infos did you get back about the visa issue? Sounds like Lianwen has had experience getting a visa set up pretty fast, hopefully your consulate will work for you, most of them are willing to if you have a good enough reason. I knew a few people who couldn't make even the PDO and they were able to work it out. Though if you intend to fly straight for whatever country you're in they may have you cover the costs to Tokyo.

KoeiZ
March 16th, 2012, 15:46
I will be out of continent from end of April until the first week of July for work, making miss the pre-departure orientation (yes, it is indeed called the "pre-departure orientation" where I am at) in June. I got an OK from my consulate to miss that if I do get shortlisted but I will be back in time to hand in my passport and attend the Farewell Reception that's within a few days before departure. Definitely take the advice of calling your consulate to confirm!