PDA

View Full Version : Question about interac program

Papa Smurf
April 22nd, 2012, 16:34

Kewne
April 22nd, 2012, 19:25
You see, I will be taking classes summer quarter in order to finish my degree, but I will be done with school July 27, well before the actual departure date for Interac. Should and I be worried?

Not sure. If you're going through a recruiter, it might be best to ask them. You might also ask if some proof of expected graduation by a certain date will be acceptable instead.

If Interac sponsors you for a work visa rather than you getting a working holiday one, then it might be something to worry about. I've heard they can take 2-3 months to get, so that could be why they set the deadline so early. You need a degree to get one.

Still, if you can't this year then you could apply for the next spring intake. It's still sooner than JET 2013 starts.

Papa Smurf
April 23rd, 2012, 11:58

Ini
April 23rd, 2012, 12:07
by june the 10th chances are you would have finished most your classes, even if you haven't formally had your graduation ceremony. Contact interac and see if they will accept a transcript of results and a letter from your uni saying you will graduate. lots of jets/interac bods/alts dont graduate until the summer they leave so its not going to be a unique situation.

Papa Smurf
April 23rd, 2012, 13:15

Ini
April 23rd, 2012, 13:21
In that case you are probably out of luck. If your final exams aren't until the end of July then it'll be August before your results, there won't be enough time to get a work visa. But interac are a desperate bunch so they might be able to work around it.

Papa Smurf
April 23rd, 2012, 13:43

Laevatienn
April 25th, 2012, 10:03
That's what I'll hope for. Fingers crossed. :)

Sorry to rain on your parade. Desperate in the Fall season, yes, but not in the Spring. It's a double thingy, many people with high marks just graduated so they apply plus the fact that the Aug/Sept departure is the second trimester means less openings whereas the Spring start has people not graduating in until April/May so fewer qualified applicants apply despite it being the Japanese's first trimester hence the need for ALTs. Not sure on exact numbers so take this with a grain of salt but I believe it is normally about a ratio 1:3. But I diverge from your question. You need a degree period. They need to show immigration your credentials or immigration will not issue a visa. Future graduates need to be within a certain date or they cannot go over due to the visa process and Interac will not go around the book for you, especially when they have their pick of fine candidates already. They follow the law to the letter (notice I say letter, bending is not beyond them much like every company in the world).

Do not despair though, I hear there is a shuffle in recruiting style. Now they are sending alternates over the months between larger intake periods. Very few people but who know, you might get in for a October or November start date.

Someone should tell them to update that old notice...

neggo
May 16th, 2012, 14:03
Sorry for bumping this but Papa Smurf, did you apply anyway?

I e-mailed them because I would not be getting my degree until June 13th (Even though I already completed my degree requirements in February 2012, grrrr...stupid school) but they actually said it would be fine.

E-mail said:

Any official document must state that you have graduated, the degree you were awarded, and the date it was awarded. This might not be available to you until June. I would recommend going ahead and asking about it, and worst case, we can wait for it. We can send your file to Tokyo without it even, as long as we have everything else. If they offer you a position, it will just be contingent upon you providing the university document when it becomes available.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,

Interac America Recruitment Team

I guess if I do well enough in the interview and they like me, they can wait for me. But I suppose something that may factor into that is that the awarding of my degree is only a few days past and within the month of the deadline. I hope for the best and hope I do well in the seminar!

Papa Smurf
May 16th, 2012, 14:20

neggo
May 16th, 2012, 14:31
Congratulations! :D August or September...doesn't really matter. Only one month difference and gives you the chance to save up money or just do whatever.

When is your seminar?