PDA

View Full Version : Understanding your income...

Gizmotech
April 24th, 2012, 15:58
So all you noobs from here on out get the honour of actually paying taxes in Japan. WOOT. Don't mind the rest of us while we laugh at you for having to do this when we did not.

If you would like to understand how taxes are calculated in Japan, I have been handed a rather educational link:
How Japanese Income Tax is Calculated | Nagoya International Center (http://www.nic-nagoya.or.jp/en/e/archives/352)

which describes how Income tax is calculated. Keep in mind here is also another 10% you live here tax and then all the monies you need to pay for health/e.i/insurance.

Lianwen
April 24th, 2012, 16:08
Is it probably reasonable to assume that with the new money payout system, first years will be taking home approx 19man a month after taxes, health insurance, and pension?

If that`s the case, poor newbs :(

Ini
April 24th, 2012, 16:09
really? jesus, who would work for that?

Lianwen
April 24th, 2012, 16:10
^ ♫ ♫ ♪ I just want people to see who I am!!! ♪ ♫ ♫ (http://pixyteri.livejournal.com/)

Prospective
April 24th, 2012, 18:09
So on the basic JET salary with only the basic 380,000 allowance I'd only be paying like 90,000 income tax based on that calculator? That's piddly.... Even with an extra 10% residents' tax it makes Australia's taxes seem draconian. And Australian has quite LOW taxes compared to Europe (but higher than the US).

Are there any local taxes or anything? I know there's a 5% sales tax, but that doesn't affect income.

If it's just the income tax of about 90,000, plus a 10% tax of about 336,000 (what deductions apply to resident's tax?). That's only 426,000 off 3,360,000. Which means 2,934,000. Seems about 24.5 man per month pre insurance/ pension but you guys pay that already, right? We're basically 5man down/ month first year, half that second year and back up to current levels by 3rd.

Yeah it sucks, but JET still pays more than Interac and people survive on that.

According to the JET website, actually the reduction for first years should only be 240,000-340,000 so I must be missing something. 340,000 would only be 2.8man per month less.

Lianwen
April 24th, 2012, 18:28
Forgive me. I`m very confused. Where are you getting 38man a month in pay? I take home 257000yen after pension and health insurance are deducted.

Prospective
April 24th, 2012, 19:03
Sorry, the 380,000 "allowance" is from the calculator in the OP. There's other deductions that can be applied to income tax so the actual numbers would be ESID. I was just calculating it based on the 380,000 base "allowance" that the page Gizmo links mentions everyone is entitled to.

AVN
April 24th, 2012, 22:31
Is it probably reasonable to assume that with the new money payout system, first years will be taking home approx 19man a month after taxes, health insurance, and pension?

If that`s the case, poor newbs :(

That's about what I took home when I worked at GEOS and it's more than enough I promise. Just takes more thought and planning.

TheDoctor
April 25th, 2012, 02:21
Wait wait wait, wtf. This applies to everyone regardless of their country of citizenship?

AVN
April 25th, 2012, 22:58
Wait wait wait, wtf. This applies to everyone regardless of their country of citizenship?

Americans will still be exempt for their first two years (i think that's how it works).
Americans always have had to pay pension and insurance though.
Everyone will have the pay cut though.

Merkypie
April 26th, 2012, 00:46
Yeah, that's what the 8802 form is for us Americans. So we are exempt for two years from Japanese income tax. We start paying in the third year.

TheDoctor
April 26th, 2012, 01:26
Americans will still be exempt for their first two years (i think that's how it works).
Americans always have had to pay pension and insurance though.
Everyone will have the pay cut though.

what pay cut? i'm out of the loop

No longer the 3.6mil per year salary?

mteacher80
April 26th, 2012, 01:29
Its not really a pay cut, as current JETs keep on the same pay, but new JETs will start lower than the 3.6 but they they stay 5 years will be closer to 4.0 at the end.

Completely new system.

Not that i was ever planning on doing JET again, but I wonder if since I did 5 years, would i start out at the low rate (most likely) or the high rate (least likely) since I would kinda be a 6th year+....

Prospective
April 26th, 2012, 07:18
Basically you need to be a 5 year JET to roughly break even compared to the current salary.

It's gone from 3.6mil POST-tax
to
1yr: 3.36mil pre-tax
2yr: 3.6mil pre-tax
3yr: 3.9mil pre-tax
4+5yr: 3.96mil pre-tax

hunterofpeace
April 26th, 2012, 07:26
I'm not sure I understand the tax situation for Americans. Are we just paying Japanese tax, not US tax or vice versa. Or no tax. Because that last one doesn't fly with what I know about governments.

Merkypie
April 26th, 2012, 07:52
If you've worked this year, you're going to file income taxes next year. If you didn't, then you won't file income taxes next year.

So,

Scenario A: Worked this year, pay American taxes.

Scenario B: Did not work this year, tax free next year

In our second year we should not be paying any taxes at all because we were not working in the United States.

In our third year we should only pay Japanese income tax.

coop52
April 26th, 2012, 08:22
You don't pay Japanese tax (other than pension and such) the first 2 years. For US taxes, you still have to file, but foreign income up to $85k is exempt, so you won't owe anything on your JET income.

andsoyouknow
April 26th, 2012, 11:56
So... how much should first year JET Americans expect to take home per month, after the pension and insurance is taken out?

Gizmotech
April 26th, 2012, 12:34
Okay, I will write up something more detailed about how much you noobs "should" expect to see for your final paychecks. I just have to finish up figuring out some numbers first because the calculations are a bit different for you than they were for us (damn you and having non-fixed year income...)

Not anymore RL. That's what we made. They have a reduction in salary. And only American ALT's can make that, CIR's have to pay tax.

andsoyouknow
April 26th, 2012, 13:18
Didn't know CIR had to pay taxes.... dayum.

Looking forward to your calculations Gizmo, I'm interested to see what 1st year ALTs will make now with the revised pay scale.

Tora
April 26th, 2012, 15:45
CIRs are a mystery to most of us. What they do. Where they do it. Who they are...

jakegio
April 26th, 2012, 16:28
Basically you need to be a 5 year JET to roughly break even compared to the current salary.

It's gone from 3.6mil POST-tax
to
1yr: 3.36mil pre-tax
2yr: 3.6mil pre-tax
3yr: 3.9mil pre-tax
4+5yr: 3.96mil pre-tax

I've been on JET for almost 4 years. I got 3.6m pre tax in my first year. Then i transferred to another ken and got 3.96m pre tax. You also may be subject to a city tax once per year. The amount will vary depending on the city. Mine is usually 5man or so. Comes due in May I think.

Ini
April 26th, 2012, 17:27
5man?? thats cheap. I get stung for 24

Gizmotech
April 26th, 2012, 18:58
I've been on JET for almost 4 years. I got 3.6m pre tax in my first year. Then i transferred to another ken and got 3.96m pre tax. You also may be subject to a city tax once per year. The amount will vary depending on the city. Mine is usually 5man or so. Comes due in May I think.

Well isn't that interesting... So the only way to maintain your "old" non-taxed is to stay in your job... Huh. Mind if I ask what your april pay stub looked like?

mteacher80
April 26th, 2012, 20:13
After two years when I had to start "paying Japanese taxes" my office just upped my salary, so after taxes came out my take home was the exact same as before "paying japanese taxes"

Gizmotech
April 26th, 2012, 21:11
Ya, that's all different this year mteacher80.

Gizmotech
April 27th, 2012, 09:51
Okay... so I've been working at this for a little bit, trying to figure out how deductions are calculated. I've run into a bit of a snag sadly, as my own pay stub doesn't add up. (They're paying about 500yen/month more in income tax than they should... not the end of the world, but fひcks with my math a bit).

Can anyone else send (post or pm) me a break down of their pay stub so I have more data to compare from? I'm pretty sure I've got this licked, but I want to double check w/ data that isn't my own. I know it's silly, but that's 60$/year extra in taxes my school pays, and i want the math to look right for the new JETs.

Takoyaki
April 27th, 2012, 11:49
I'll have my first paycheck at least a month before the rest of the no0bs even leave so at that time I'll post exactly what one can expect to receive under the next tax system (for a non-American) at least

Ini
April 27th, 2012, 13:51
I wouldn't bother trying to figure out a universal breakdown of a jet pay check. Each cities insane human resources and tax departments will be applying their own crazy systems to it.

coop52
April 27th, 2012, 15:06
What Ini said. Each place's residency tax at least will be different, plus whatever weird things that they put on there.

Gizmotech
April 28th, 2012, 06:57
I wouldn't bother trying to figure out a universal breakdown of a jet pay check. Each cities insane human resources and tax departments will be applying their own crazy systems to it.

Yup you're right. I stopped caring about everyone elses when I realized this (took a while to figure out, damn my crappy J-go skills) however now that I've figured out basic stuff I have what I need to make a "simple" model for the noobs.

andsoyouknow
April 28th, 2012, 11:29
Hey, I'll take a "simple" model. I just want to have an idea of what my income is going to look like. So do tell, Gizmotech.

Merkypie
April 28th, 2012, 21:46
Yup you're right. I stopped caring about everyone elses when I realized this (took a while to figure out, damn my crappy J-go skills) however now that I've figured out basic stuff I have what I need to make a "simple" model for the noobs.

Don't stress yourself more than you have to.

Takoyaki
May 4th, 2012, 07:39
Hey I just received my contract, this is what it had under Remuneration:

You will receive an annual salary of ¥3,360,000 before tax (any applicable Japanese income or local resident taxes will be the deduction for this salary). After the deduction of Health Insurance, Disability, Pension Welfare and Employment Insurance contributions you will receive a monthly salary of approximately ¥240,000~\250,000. Your monthly rent will be deducted automatically each month from your salary. Each month you will receive a commuting allowance covering the costs of getting to and from your school.

ozgal
May 6th, 2012, 18:28
...you will receive a monthly salary of approximately ¥240,000~\250,000.

Thanks for sharing this. Seems like enough to survive happily on (but probably not enough for any savings). When I worked for Nova a few years ago, I think my take home pay was around ¥190,000 after insurance and rent, so its fairly comparable. It was enough for me to have a great social life. That's all that matters, right? :p

TheDoctor
May 7th, 2012, 03:28
well if you survived on 190k you can easily do it again and save that 50-60k extra.

Prospective
May 7th, 2012, 06:34
When I worked for Nova a few years ago, I think my take home pay was around ¥190,000 after insurance and rent, so its fairly comparable.

Note the bold :p

Given rent is often cheaper than ¥60,000 for a lot of JETs you might be able to save a bit compared to Interac, but it won't be like the heyday of JET.

Lianwen
May 7th, 2012, 08:47
you will receive a monthly salary of approximately ¥240,000~\250,000.

Actually, that`s pretty close to what I take home (258,000¥). After paying bills/buying groceries/rent, I have approx 200,000 left to play with.

(I live in the middle of nowhere though and easily blow through my salary to keep myself entertained. )

Eudox
May 7th, 2012, 08:55
(I live in the middle of nowhere though and easily blow through my salary to keep myself entertained. )

This. I actually wrote out a budget last night so I can see where all my money is going (which I hate to do but we get paid a buttload and all my moneyz iz gonez). Going to attempt to start saving/paying off my student loan starting next month, but I still want to have fun damnit.

Lianwen
May 7th, 2012, 09:04
This. I actually wrote out a budget last night so I can see where all my money is going (which I hate to do but we get paid a buttload and all my moneyz iz gonez). Going to attempt to start saving/paying off my student loan starting next month, but I still want to have fun damnit.

Yeah. You can try budgeting using envelopes. Payday I take out a certain amount of money I want to save and hide it in a safe spot. Then I budget out money for groceries/rent and stick that in another envelope. Then I have a travel envelope (for stuff like taking the trains grocery shopping/socializing) and then I have a socializing/entertainment envelope. I leave approx 4~5man in my bank account for cellphone and other bills that get deducted straight from my account.

It`s not perfect, but it works...kind of. This month was tough because everyone was doing stuff and I spent way more money than normal.

I also have an `escape from BFI` jar that I fill with my loose change/whatever`s left in my socializing envelope at the end of the month.

But. Yeah. Especially for newbs coming in. It`s going to be very easy to fly through your paycheck the first month or so. You`ll spend a lot of money exploring your ken/drinking&socializing with other JETs and coworkers/other start up expenses.

Ini
May 7th, 2012, 09:05
I didnt save a penny when I was on JET. I guess if you dont have a car and dont drink you might be able to do it but then what would be the point in living such an uninteresting and pointless life?

Eudox
May 7th, 2012, 09:10
I didnt save a penny when I was on JET. I guess if you dont have a car and dont drink you might be able to do it but then what would be the point in living such an uninteresting and pointless life?

Word. I just want to save to be able to do fun stuff... not to have money for my retirement.

Spending all the money during the weekend is fine, I just want to cut back on my unnecessary day to day expenses; conbini visits and the like.

bananallanah
May 7th, 2012, 12:07

Ugh NZ student loan changes this year are guna be annoying. I'm fairly sure that instead of going on a repayment holiday of 3yrs it's only 1yr max, there goes my idea of not paying any back during JET haha.
Also they're making repayments higher, FFFUUUU govt.
I guess my take home pay will be higher than what I get in NZ but not quite as much as I originally thought.

TheDoctor
May 7th, 2012, 14:36
My student loan is $90 a month, and I could pay it off entirely right now, but that would mean not much money for start-up in Japan.

bananallanah
May 7th, 2012, 14:50
Don't brag about it :p

Gizmotech
May 8th, 2012, 15:18
Okay, so I'm working through a few things. This is taking me longer than I thought (I kinda f'd off for GW there for a while, AND I can't find my annual pay stub).

What I have learned is this:
National Health Insurance is calculated at the city level. Each City uses different %
National Pension is a complete odidity to me. Still working on where the math for that comes from
Deductions used in JETs income to calculate Taxes don't add up.
Inhabitants tax is calculated post deduction.
Income tax is calculated post deduction.

On the plus side, I've narrowed down what the income tax rate is for the various brackets. I've got a "rough" idea of what NHI, EI, and NP are (calculating backwards), and I should be able to put together a model of all of this next week. The biggest problem is I've misplaced some of my paperwork and need to find it before I'm done. Lets just say this... from my rough math ALT's earn almost the same in year 1 as they do in year 2, and it only looks like they start seeing the pay raise in year three (Thank you inhabitants tax).

If someone can help me finding where the EI and Pension calculations come from/what they are I would appreciate it. As it stands I'm just using a percentage in the model and that's like incorrect. I just wish I could get the numbers to add up on my own paystubs :P

Eudox
May 8th, 2012, 18:43
You have far too much time on your hands.

Prospective
May 8th, 2012, 22:31
You have far too much time on your hands.

^This

I'm happy to run with the ¥240,000-250,000 that Takoyaki said. He's a new JET so it sounds "close enough" for me. ¥10,000 either way isn't going to make me decline my position.

TheDoctor
May 8th, 2012, 23:12
Okay, so I'm working through a few things. This is taking me longer than I thought (I kinda f'd off for GW there for a while, AND I can't find my annual pay stub).

What I have learned is this:
National Health Insurance is calculated at the city level. Each City uses different %
National Pension is a complete odidity to me. Still working on where the math for that comes from
Deductions used in JETs income to calculate Taxes don't add up.
Inhabitants tax is calculated post deduction.
Income tax is calculated post deduction.

On the plus side, I've narrowed down what the income tax rate is for the various brackets. I've got a "rough" idea of what NHI, EI, and NP are (calculating backwards), and I should be able to put together a model of all of this next week. The biggest problem is I've misplaced some of my paperwork and need to find it before I'm done. Lets just say this... from my rough math ALT's earn almost the same in year 1 as they do in year 2, and it only looks like they start seeing the pay raise in year three (Thank you inhabitants tax).

If someone can help me finding where the EI and Pension calculations come from/what they are I would appreciate it. As it stands I'm just using a percentage in the model and that's like incorrect. I just wish I could get the numbers to add up on my own paystubs :P

Dude I am amazed at your diligence lol.

Takoyaki
May 8th, 2012, 23:43
Dude I am amazed at your diligence lol.

yea i totally agree, and what more its for the good of the people, what a charitable fellow you are!

Teishou
May 9th, 2012, 03:28
...Charitable? Gizmo? ...Sure.

Gizmotech
May 9th, 2012, 08:52
Well, it really isn't for y'all anymore, it's really so I can understand it. I dislike not knowing where my money is going :)

And prospective, I currently take home 260,000 after deductions on a higher salary (before rent). Taxes + pay reduction should put you much closer to 220-230. The JET info seems somehow off given it's already 20,000/month less than my pay.

TheDoctor
May 9th, 2012, 11:26
Plus gay JETs have that extra santorum tax that the city levies on them.

Gizmotech
May 18th, 2012, 13:07
Sorry guys, I give up trying to figure it out. For one very important reason.

In my new contract it has some basic information about pay that you already know. It also has one new piece of info I was not aware of.

In your first year you will be earning 280,000 after tax. In my contract it states:
"Not withstanding Article 7-2 Section 1 above, the total salary after deducting the anticipated income tax and municipal tax according to Japanese laws (hereinafter referred to as "a net salary") of a JET whose first-term period of appointment is less than one year shall be equal to or greater than a net salary calculated at 280,000 yen per month for a period of one year divided by the number of days to be worked in the period of one year multiplied by the number of days the JET shall work as prescribed in Article 5. The monthly salary shall be rounded up to the nearest 1000 yen. "

As for figuring crap out now, I give up.

Eudox
May 19th, 2012, 18:40
Okay, I've got a question for ya. In this months pay slip, for the first time ever, my pay increased by 7000 (e.g. before tax it was 307000 when it has always been 300000 before). There's also a 7000 deduction for 所得税, income tax, which I've never had before. I mean, I should be paying income tax in Japan because I'm not paying it in NZ... but does this mean that I just get a pay rise and don't actually have to pay the tax out of my own pocket!?

AVN
May 19th, 2012, 20:15
Okay, I've got a question for ya. In this months pay slip, for the first time ever, my pay increased by 7000 (e.g. before tax it was 307000 when it has always been 300000 before). There's also a 7000 deduction for 所得税, income tax, which I've never had before. I mean, I should be paying income tax in Japan because I'm not paying it in NZ... but does this mean that I just get a pay rise and don't actually have to pay the tax out of my own pocket!?

Most likely if just means they weren't showing it on your pay stub before and/or paying it in a lump sum instead of monthly. I mean the extra 7000 is being deducted so it's still the same (unless you were paying the taxes at some point in which case you might want to talk to someone).

Eudox
May 19th, 2012, 20:16
Sure, but what!? You mean I don't have to pay income tax? Since when is that a normal thing, for your employer to pay your income tax for you?

CUPS
May 20th, 2012, 12:02
The only thing that's on my pay slip is the final figure of 258¥. Haven't a clue what I'm paying out for or how much it is...

Gizmotech
May 20th, 2012, 21:02
Sure, but what!? You mean I don't have to pay income tax? Since when is that a normal thing, for your employer to pay your income tax for you?

Uhh, since it's JET? It's part of our contracts that our employer is responsible for all federal and municipal taxes.

AVN
May 21st, 2012, 23:08
Uhh, since it's JET? It's part of our contracts that our employer is responsible for all federal and municipal taxes.

Yeah... Does no one read their contracts?

Poor newbs though, no more freebies.

brainsteww
May 22nd, 2012, 05:08

What do you mean by "freebies"?

Gizmotech
May 22nd, 2012, 08:12

I'm beginning to think that's the case. Not that they seem to follow the contracts very well. All these clauses for termination and discipline and they never seem to exercise them.

AVN
May 22nd, 2012, 08:20
What do you mean by "freebies"?

Unless they're American newbs, as of this year, they have to pay their own taxes and are getting paid less than previous first years.

MJN
May 22nd, 2012, 13:57
Is it possible to request the actual payslips? I only get a printed slip of paper poorly translated by the BOE.

Gizmotech
May 22nd, 2012, 13:59
You should be getting a monthly pay slip AND your annual slip(s).

coop52
May 22nd, 2012, 14:11
Some schools have stopped giving them out to save paper. You may have to go to the school office and print it.

MJN
May 22nd, 2012, 14:22
You should be getting a monthly pay slip AND your annual slip(s).

Know the japanese words for them so I can ask properly?

給与明細 / きゅうよめいさい ?

coop52
May 22nd, 2012, 14:53
That sounds about right. If not, they'll figure it out.

Gizmotech
May 22nd, 2012, 15:12
Know the japanese words for them so I can ask properly?

給与明細 / きゅうよめいさい ?

??給明細書

There's a kanji on the front that looks like a solider on crossed legs.

brainsteww
May 22nd, 2012, 18:36
Unless they're American newbs, as of this year, they have to pay their own taxes and are getting paid less than previous first years.

Ah, well good thing I'm an American newb in this case. I didn't know this was different in the past.

Lychee
May 23rd, 2012, 16:22
So for people who are curious, I just started in April in Kobe and my pay after health insurance, S.S. and employment insurance is taken out is ¥238,982. My rent is also taken out, which then leaves me with ¥200,982. I am lucky that I don't have to pay taxes... after rent it comes out to over 2.5
grand (usd) for me which is definitely livable and I am sending home savings and student loan payments. As long as you sorta keep track of your cashola you can totally manage all that and travelling/having fun ;)

AVN
May 26th, 2012, 19:44
Ah, well good thing I'm an American newb in this case. I didn't know this was different in the past.

Well your pay is still a cut from prior years but yeah you're lucky you don't have to pay income tax for the first 2? years

Maninguenice
April 11th, 2013, 01:48
Hey guys, apologies if this isnt the right place to post but I'm looking for some tax clarification from the infinite wisdom of the elders. I'm a shortlister filling out my paperwork, including the request for 6166 us residency certificate. To be clear, that will exempt me from japanese tax for two years, but I will have to pay american income tax on my jet income, correct? Talking to the IRS, that means that I am prohibited from filling a 2555 to be exempt from us income tax. To the best of my understanding, that means we're choosing between paying Japanese income tax (2555) OR american income tax (6166) for the first two years, after which we definitely pay Japanese tax, and only Japanese tax. Does that sound about right? If so, is the 6166 generally the better route, assuming I'm in a pretty low income bracket for american income, 2013? Sorry if this has already been covered in the past.

Gizmotech
April 11th, 2013, 06:26
You file both papers while you are in Japan. Your 2555 exempts you from Japanese income tax for the 2 year period. Your 6166 (8802) certifies you as still being a factual resident of the US for taxation purposes. Your foreign income needs to exceed 85k (or is it 90k)/year before it can be taxed, and right now JET is worth about 36k.

coop52
April 11th, 2013, 08:05
You still have to fill out the 2555 to declare your foreign income regardless. It just gets exempted since you won't make enough for it to be taxed. You aren't choosing which country's income tax to pay. You won't have to pay Japanese taxes for 2 years (the only deductions you'll have are for health insurance, unemployment insurance, and the pension), then you'll have to pay income and residence taxes here.

therealwindycity
April 11th, 2013, 10:58
Hey guys, apologies if this isnt the right place to post but I'm looking for some tax clarification from the infinite wisdom of the elders. I'm a shortlister filling out my paperwork, including the request for 6166 us residency certificate. To be clear, that will exempt me from japanese tax for two years, but I will have to pay american income tax on my jet income, correct? Talking to the IRS, that means that I am prohibited from filling a 2555 to be exempt from us income tax. To the best of my understanding, that means we're choosing between paying Japanese income tax (2555) OR american income tax (6166) for the first two years, after which we definitely pay Japanese tax, and only Japanese tax. Does that sound about right? If so, is the 6166 generally the better route, assuming I'm in a pretty low income bracket for american income, 2013? Sorry if this has already been covered in the past.

No no no. You won't be paying taxes on Japanese or American income, except for any money you make before coming on JET this year. You don't file for an exemption from U.S. taxes, you file your taxes as normal and use the foreign earned income exclusion.

Form 6166 is a certificate from the IRS proving that you were living and paying taxes in the U.S. in 2012 and not Japan (They need this because, say, if you had been working in Japan before JET it would mean that the tax treaty exempting U.S. citizens from paying Japanese taxes for two years wouldn't apply to you). It doesn't exempt you from anything in the U.S., it just proves to the Japanese government that the U.S. is your tax home, and therefore that the exemption from Japanese taxes applies to you.

2555 is a form that you submit along with your American tax return. The IRS offers the option not to pay taxes on money you make overseas up to $95,000 or so. Form 2555 is what you submit to show how much money you made in Japan and to indicate that you want to use that exclusion. You'll fill it out next year after you've made money in Japan.

Gizmotech
April 11th, 2013, 11:30
Shit! I was worried I had the purpose of the forms backwards when I wrote that, but it was pretty early this morning and I wasn't awake yet.

Thanks windy and coop.

therealwindycity
April 11th, 2013, 11:35
Shit! I was worried I had the purpose of the forms backwards when I wrote that, but it was pretty early this morning and I wasn't awake yet.

Thanks windy and coop.

It's all pretty confusing. I think the IRS should call 6166 a letter or a certificate rather than a form, since that makes it sound like it's something you fill out rather than something you receive from them.

dvac002
April 13th, 2013, 04:07
After reading through this thread, it seems to me that even with the pay cut for new JETs, as well as after taxes, the amount you actually take home is more than enough to live comfortably. Of course you can't exactly go out drinking and partying every day, but who actually does that where they're from anyway?

Teishou
April 13th, 2013, 14:01
Uh, actually, you could go out drinking and partying every day, if that was really what you were into. Of course, that's also dependent on whatever else fees you may have to pay, but it's certainly a possibility.

Ini
April 13th, 2013, 15:58
You couldn't possibly afford to go out drinking everynight on a jet salary

Teishou
April 13th, 2013, 19:27
How much drinking would you intend to do anyway?

dvac002
April 13th, 2013, 23:46
I guess you technically could, but it would probably leave you very tight money wise. I spend anywhere from $40-$70 a night, depending on the quantity and quality of course. Come to think of it though, I would rarely spend more than 3000 or 4000 yen when I was in Kyoto.

Ini
April 14th, 2013, 00:17
Then you live a sheltered life.

dvac002
April 14th, 2013, 07:40
Happy hour here, nomihoudai there ... I'm no alcoholic though.

mothy
April 14th, 2013, 23:08
Then what's the point?

Maninguenice
April 16th, 2013, 09:42
Thanks for the clarification everyone!

Kuroda Ishikawa
April 16th, 2013, 12:14
I saved $42,000 while in Japan, largely thanks to sending the bulk of my money home when the yen was at 78-82 to the dollar, and working some extra high-pay jobs (business eikaiwa), but the rest of you are probably fucked.

Ini
April 16th, 2013, 12:23
true that, I did 5 years on jet not saving a penny but once the exchange rate hit that magic number I paid my student loans off in 8 months