PDA

View Full Version : Single student class

dialogue
April 25th, 2012, 14:05
One of my schools only has one sixth grader (no fifth graders). Last year there was one fifth grader (same kid) and one sixth grader, so the teacher sped through Eigo Note 1 and 2. He already knows all the junk that was in those two books.

This year his teacher is actually the principal, who has never taught English, and will probably rely heavily on Hi, Friends! 2. I would like to avoid this, but I would need to come up with something more solid than `leave it to me, old dude!`

Suggestions for things to teach this class?

Eudox
April 25th, 2012, 15:25
Awesome opportunity to give that kid a massive head start (for better or worse). Make a plan and pitch it to him! If that fails.... go through the text book at light speed (which will probably happen anyway) and start on some jhs stuff.

word
April 26th, 2012, 10:31
Word; the only one-student class I've ever had was a sped that I wasn't permitted to plan for. I'd be all over that sh*t; do what Eudox said. It's an awesome opportunity; the kid can benefit enormously from this situation.

dialogue
April 26th, 2012, 17:04
Well, yeah... my Japanese is pretty shitty though, so I can't teach grammar. Not sure I could do JHS level stuff. Like I said, I need some sort of solid plan, and this week has been a headache, so I haven't done any research, thinking about it, other excuses. I'll come up with something. He's a smart kiddo.

Edit: I appreciate the input, I will teach this kid all he needs to know to survive in California, including (but not limited to) gnarly, cool beans, and LATER DUDE.

Ini
April 26th, 2012, 18:09
its elementary school for gods sake, you're not supposed to be teaching them grammar.

do something fun and interesting. gnarly, cool beans and later dude is a great idea. do a project on stuff in california and places he wants to visit or something.

remember the golden rule of foreign language activities class - the goal of the program is not to teach them English

dialogue
April 27th, 2012, 08:44
That`s true, dumb of me to forget.