PDA

View Full Version : JET now or later?



Siberakh1
March 31st, 2005, 05:56
Ok, I am eagerly awaiting my mail from JET to come in the next week or so. However, I was called Monday morning about my resume by a computer job installing computer systems for a company all over the US/some international (I sent in my resume Sat. morning). They called again last night (Tuesday) wanting an interview as soon as I was available for one (tomorrow). 8O

I really want JET (this is my second year trying), but I substitute teach and up until this week, have received no bites from any of the plethora of resumes I've been sending out since Dec. From mid June - first paycheck of JET, I would have to come up with something to afford my bills for that time, so getting offered a job with comparable pay and benefits isn't something I can just scoff at right now, but it's not a job that I could leave in 4 months time either without it potentially hurting me job hunting in a few years again for a computer job.

I would likely know about this job before the initial acceptance deadline near the end of April.

Here is my question:

If I were to be offered this computer job and be short-listed on JET, if I were to decline JET this year, would it be held against me if I were to reapply for JET again in a year or two? :?:

This is seriously stressing me out :(

(x-posted over on BD as well)

swimmergirl
March 31st, 2005, 07:20
If you accept the computer job now and decline JET before you are placed, then it is not a problem to apply to JET again next year or the year after. The only time it is a problem to decline JET is in May/June after they have already placed you. Good luck with your decision!

quasarsglow
March 31st, 2005, 12:32
Tough decision.

I would take what's offered now if you can. JET will not hate you unless you change your mind after placement.

If I were offered a kickass job right this instant I'd snag it as well.. of course, i can't accept a position until after 1 July since I won't technically be finished with my masters until then and there's no way I'm not finishing this damn degree. :D

Good luck, m'friend

fenyx66
April 6th, 2005, 12:36
Several of the other JETs around me are older (in their late 20s and early 30s) and they have told me that they wished they had come right out of college and that I was lucky to have come at such a young age. It's a tough choice, but I would screw the computer Job and do JET, which in my opinion, is the best English-teaching job a foreigner can get in Japan. But based on what the other people say, it is best to come and do it while you are young.

Siberakh1
April 7th, 2005, 07:04
Since Boston is still keeping some of us in the dark as to our fates and the job is still pending review of references, and possibly another interview, it's going to come down to making the decision at almost the last second and will likely be based on money (since I'm scraping as it is and currently - unless a temp job actually calls me back or offers something - I will have no savings to bring with me to Japan and nothing to cover bills until the first paycheck comes in). If I have to choose the computer job, I will make the most of it for a few years, try for JET again, and should I get accepted, drop the job and whisk away to Japan in a heartbeat. I actually don't have a ton of stuff, save books, which I've been offered to store if need be by my parents, so traveling and being nomadic is something I don't mind and kind of enjoy. I'll study what Japanese I can in that time and still read up on the forums to keep the long term goal in sight too :D
I had some good long talks with a close friend and after much fretting and stressing and some tears, this was the best solution considering the circumstances. I WILL get on JET dammit!

We will see what the next two weeks bring. *fingers crossed*

Shotokai
April 7th, 2005, 08:44
if you really are woefully short of money to bring with you when you find out, your BOE may be able to loan u start up cash. a friend of mine had a loan given to her from them.

Siberakh1
April 7th, 2005, 12:45
if you really are woefully short of money to bring with you when you find out, your BOE may be able to loan u start up cash. a friend of mine had a loan given to her from them.

That would work for that month, but since I substitute teach, I currently don't make enough to afford my bills (~$500-600 per month) without finding comparable paying work for the 2-3 months before I'd leave, not just that first month in Japan. That's the kicker. :( I've been looking since Dec. for something with no bites (and a load of resumes and contacts out since then). I wish I could defer my loans but I can't and I can't take out another one here in the US. Now if I were to win the lottery...