PDA

View Full Version : How do your students study words?

Gizmotech
May 22nd, 2012, 13:10
Okay guys, I have a serious question.

I'm trying to figure out methods that Japanese High School (and Junior High) students study words. Are they taught in class, is it a self-taught system w/ testing, are they getting them from their primary textbook or is it a separate wordlist book? How often "guestimate" would you say they retest or re-cover words they already know? How often are they taught words in context (ie, from a paragraph), semi-contextual (Isolated sentence, single meaning), or context-removed (hey kids, this means coく sucker in Japanese. Yay translation).

Do any of your schools promote anything more interesting in terms of study methods or content review?

Finally, general interest question, how responsive would your schools be to trying something new in terms of study methods for students? Not as a replacement but as a pilot idea for a few students?

coop52
May 22nd, 2012, 13:45
At my current school (SHS), they teach vocab on the days I'm not there, so I don't really know how. Here's what most of the teachers did at my old school (JHS):
-give the kids word lists with all of the chapter/unit's vocab
-had the kids read the Japanese and English for the words every lesson
-the first few lessons, the JTE or I would read the English word and the kids would repeat it, after that they read it by themselves
-some teachers did activities where the students had to recall the words (mostly the criss-cross game where they had to say the Japanese for the English word or vis versa )
-they'd be given a test or quiz over all of the words at the end of the unit

At both my old and current schools, they generally don't review the words outside of getting the kids to read them in the text book. After they finish a particular lesson, the kids are expected to remember the vocab all on their own for later use. That means a lot of my students forget almost everything after the test. My kids are also allowed to use dictionaries which may have an affect on how much they actually memorize.

word
May 22nd, 2012, 14:22
Are they taught in class, is it a self-taught system w/ testing, are they getting them from their primary textbook or is it a separate wordlist book?My kids (JHS) are taught in class. They get them from their primary textbook (New Crown). They rarely, if ever, learn any words from any source outside of their primary textbook. When they do, they're virtually guaranteed to forget them unless they use them regularly. Words like "fuck" are pretty easy for them to remember, but words like "eclipse" are forgotten in less than an hour.

Obviously, it depends on the kid. I have had some gifted/interested students who've take pains to learn words outside of the assigned curriculum.

How often "guestimate" would you say they retest or re-cover words they already know?Quite often. It depends on the situation. By the time they get to junior high, they have been re-taught words like "apple" and "red" about 497,327,273,671 times. They'll be quite baffled by the word "is," unfortunately (well, not MY kids, actually [/pride]).

After they're in junior high, I think the New Crown curriculum is pretty good about introducing them to certain words, then re-using the words in later lessons. It's not really retesting or re-covering; it just forces the students to keep using the words so that they'll (hopefully) not forget them. It works pretty well, imho.

How often are they taught words in context (ie, from a paragraph), semi-contextual (Isolated sentence, single meaning), or context-removed (hey kids, this means coく sucker in Japanese. Yay translation).My old JTE never taught them words in context. She always introduced new words first, then worked on the readings. She would play the CD recording of the readings before introducing the new words, but the kids knew her routine and knew they didn't need to pay any attention to it. New JTE always does reading first, then talks about it with the kids, then does new words after she thinks they kids kinda understand the meaning of the reading. They do tend to learn words out of context, though. It is incredibly rare for any of my students to even attempt to guess the meaning of an unknown word based on context.

Do any of your schools promote anything more interesting in terms of study methods or content review?No, unfortunately not. I try, but my attempts are generally ignored by the JTEs and, therefor, by the students, as well. I've especially been pushing for integration of computer education as related to English language instruction; it's a natural fit, many of the kids are very interested in the subject, and it opens up all sorts of potential learning avenues. My efforts thus far have been rejected outright.

Finally, general interest question, how responsive would your schools be to trying something new in terms of study methods for students? Not as a replacement but as a pilot idea for a few students?See above. My schools do not seem to be interested AT ALL. This is most unfortunate, but most of my schools (and students) do not seem to think English education is especially important, and are rather disinterested in attempts to improve it.

Jiggit
May 22nd, 2012, 15:29
My kids get given sheets of words, presumably from their textbook, which they are tested on weekly. The only reason I know this is that it was apparently important enough that they had to shove it at the beginning of one of my classes once when they missed it.

Gizmotech
May 22nd, 2012, 15:36
Silly Extra Question:
Do your teachers keep you informed at all about what the students are studying, or are they responsive to you when you ask what they are currently studying?

lilyanphino
May 22nd, 2012, 16:39
My teachers don't actively keep me informed, but I teach every class in all of my schools, so I eventually find out where they are when I go to teach with them.

My school is the same. I see everyone at least once a week, so I stay pretty current with where they are.

word
May 22nd, 2012, 18:36
Same here. My home school has gone so far as to schedule English classes exclusively on days that I'm present.

kalliea
May 22nd, 2012, 22:13
My JHS were introduced to new vocab on day 1 of the new lesson. For homework that night they had to write the word out 10 times. Next class we go over the words again, now showing only the English and they have to shout out the Japanese together. Next day's home work would be a fill in the blank worksheet with the vocab words. (Basic plug and chug.)

One day a week was my lesson with the kids, which always included a quick vocab game. Either crisscross, broken hearts, word scrambles, crossword...something to practice.

Still, most of the vocab study was assigned as homework. Class time was much more focused on grammar.

jwkelley
May 31st, 2012, 13:35
My kids are given sheets during vacation they have to memorize. If they dont memorize them they stay after school everyday until they pass the test. The rest of the vocab they seem to learn as they go a long. The teacher makes them right it a bunch of times in their books.

An interesting method I have seen is putting the words on the board and asking kids questions about themselves using the vocab. Its a good way of drilling the vocab in and makes the readings go a lot smoother. Theoretically this is suppose to personalize the vocab and increase retention. I have not done it enough to see if it works that way however. My JTE lets me try this for grammar points mostly only. So stuff like "is going to " "must"