PDA

View Full Version : If you had the opportunity...

word
May 31st, 2012, 11:38
If you had the opportunity to talk to a large group of Japanese elementary school teachers (all levels) about how and what they should be teaching their students, what would you say to them?

I have some idea what I'm gonna do (and plenty of time to get it worked up), but I'd really like to get input from as many people as possible.

Ini
May 31st, 2012, 11:58
I'd tell them to read the damn guidelines they are given, follow them and stop treating foreign languages as some mysterious thing that they can't possibly teach and isn't that important anyway.

Unfortunately I tell them this constantly but it only seems to sink in with 50% of them

Gizmotech
May 31st, 2012, 15:04
I'd tell them to avoid katakana usage at all costs. No more katakana phonetics please! I hate how half our first year class (SHS) is devoted to breaking them of saido and sutopu and lieku and apuru.

It's not THAT hard to learn to speak these basic words a bit closer to sounding like English.

Ini
May 31st, 2012, 15:14
Tell them that they dont have to try and speak english. Treat the class like any other subject. When its time to practice speaking use the CD/DVD/ALT.

Everything they do in ES is covered in JHS so make the lessons enjoyable rather than getting hung up on memorizing shit.

They aren't supposed to teach writing but if the kids know the alphabet, large and small, then its a big help in JHS.

Being aware of differences in pronunciation. Its better to realize that English is different to Japanese and be exposed to correct pronunciation so they can hear the difference rather than to learn a list of 200 arbitrary words and phrases in katakana

jwkelley
May 31st, 2012, 15:24
I would tell them to spend less time explaining grammar points to the class in Japanese and give them more time listening to the grammar and words being used in english. The students only see the ALT once a week and the JTE 4 times.

Then i would go over some language acquisition stuff i read such as personalizing, adding meaning, providing repetition, and the importance of input.

Ini
May 31st, 2012, 15:25
what elementary school does english lessons 4 times a week?? with a JTE?? With grammar points??

dialogue
May 31st, 2012, 15:48
Stop with the damn grammar, and STOP focusing on perfection, fack. Make it fun and simple. Basic grasp of sentences (How are you? types) is fine; build up vocab!

Also, if you don`t know wtf you are doing, ask the ALT.

jwkelley
May 31st, 2012, 16:09
what elementary school does english lessons 4 times a week?? with a JTE?? With grammar points??

eh sorry kind of went off the wrong tangent. one of my elementary schools does a former middle school JTE, but they use as a homeroom teacher and another teacher as the primary English teacher.

wicket
May 31st, 2012, 20:20
I wouldn't bother. They're not going to listen anyway.

Gizmotech
June 1st, 2012, 05:54
I wouldn't bother. They're not going to listen anyway.

We're playing in fantasy land here wicket. Take you reality to the vodka bar.