PDA

View Full Version : Certificate of Eligibility Issues

Yarantoikenbai
June 5th, 2012, 19:48
Hello everyone, I've been an avid lurker for a long time, and finally have something useful to say.

I'm a CIR Alternate for JET.
I have applied for Interac and Altia, and have had interviews with both.

Interac has lost a piece of my paperwork (the only one that had to be an original as well ffs) and it has cost me 2 weeks to replace it for them, and now my details won't be sent to Tokyo before Wednesday or Thursday due to bank holidays in the UK.

Altia has been promising, and have offered me a position for an early start, if I want it. The job is somewhere outside of Ogaki city in Gifu prefecture. Great pay, free rent and utilities, working with kindergarten and elementary kids. For me the downsides are location and living arrangements - I have to share a flat with some random, and I have a feeling it's in BFI.

I also wanted to be much closer to Fukuoka city/prefecture as there I have a great network of friends and my old university for backup. I'm prepared to make sacrifices for placement in that area, or in Kansai. Anywhere else and I'm genuinely not bothered.

Here's my question for those in the know. If I accept this position, and Altia goes ahead an applies for my CoE, what happens if JET or Interac offer me something else? Someone has told me before that once a CoE application is made, it must be retracted before another company can make one.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? It's the only thing holding me back from accepting; I would hate to be trapped and prevented from taking something better because of this.

Also: If anyone is having an interview with Altia/Interac, I'm more than happy to share my experience, just PM me :)

pika
June 6th, 2012, 02:52
This is what Interac has to say on the matter:

"Can I still accept a position with a different company if I have already agreed to work with Interac?
If you accept the Interac contract and submit your C of E paperwork, you are now bound contractually with Interac. If you apply for and accept another job in Japan and try to submit a C of E document with them as well, Japanese Immigration will see this as a red flag and cancel BOTH applications, ruining your chances of working with either company."

Might not be completely correct, though.

Laevatienn
June 6th, 2012, 05:49
This is what Interac has to say on the matter:

"Can I still accept a position with a different company if I have already agreed to work with Interac?
If you accept the Interac contract and submit your C of E paperwork, you are now bound contractually with Interac. If you apply for and accept another job in Japan and try to submit a C of E document with them as well, Japanese Immigration will see this as a red flag and cancel BOTH applications, ruining your chances of working with either company."

Might not be completely correct, though.

You are correct. the people in immigration are tough on visa applicants and go over everything with a fine tooth comb. Very Japanese. Anywho, it's the idea of company loyalty ingrained in the Japanese and keeping your word. If you say you will work with one company and decide to drop it after they start the process then immigrations sees that as "betraying" or "lying" to the company which reflects badly on you thus they cancel both. There are legality things in the background but that is the gist of what happens. Politics and ingrained ideas... Good thing Westerners don't have any of those* insert friendly sarcasm*.

Yarantoikenbai
June 6th, 2012, 18:11
I had assumed that would be the case, I just wanted some confirmation from others. No idea where you found that from Interac; you are better than I.

Whelp, I'll just have to mull this one over. I think I can buy myself another week with talking through contract details, etc. Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you all updated.

For the record, Altia have said that I can turn it down and wait to see what's available for September departure if I want, but we'll just see.

pika
June 7th, 2012, 14:51
It was from an e-mail. If placement really is more important to you than pay, Interac has more positions and allows you to reject placements a few times. However, they won't be giving placement offers until mid-July, I think, and Altia probably will not want to wait that long.

Pay comparison:
Interac pays 8 months in full, August at 60%, December at 75%, and I've read that there's a gap of 1-3 weeks in-between contracts where two months are paid based on days worked, so let's assume the remaining 2 months are equivalent to 1.5 months. Overall that's 10.85 months pay @ 250,000 yen per month for a year, which is 2,712,500 yen per year (or an average monthly rate of 226,042 yen).

Altia pays about 250,000 yen per month every month, or 3,000,000 yen per year. Also, "for most contracts ALTIA CENTRAL will generally locate, secure, act as guarantor and cover all initial rental deposits (key money) for an ALTIA CENTRAL sponsored apartment." If we assume the value of that is about 100,000 yen, then we subtract the monthly ALTIA management fee for the apartment of 42,000 yen (3,500 x 12 months), that has the same effect as adding 58,000 to your yearly salary, bringing it up to 3,058,000 yen per year (or an average monthly rate of 254,833 yen).

So, 226,042 yen versus 254,833 yen. 28,791 yen difference per month, or $350 every month. I think because the weird pay months most people don't appreciate the full difference in pay between the two companies.

ALTIA doesn't pay more to be generous, though, they just have to provide a benefit to applicants to offset their reduced flexibility in placements, as the company controls far fewer contracts than Interac. ALTIA has a total of 250 ALT positions in 9 prefectures versus Interac's 2,700 in every part of Japan except Okinawa, meaning Interac is constantly having positions open every hiring season in many locations.