PDA

View Full Version : Waiting on interac...

shibbyiu
June 12th, 2012, 05:19
Hi guys

so i had my interview and seminar May 11th, and in the seminar i was told it takes about 3 weeks and then they will say yes if u get in otherwise i think they dont tell you. anyway theres been a few banks holidays last week but by wednesday the third week is over i think. still havent heard anything... my friend said it takes little less than a month, what are other peoples experiences? it wasnt untill 2 weeks after my seminar that i had got my referee to finally do the forms so i'm not sure if that makes any difference.

looking at my phone all the time is driving me crazy!

Junipe
June 12th, 2012, 05:22
I had to wait about 5 weeks until I heard back from Interac. I'm pretty sure that they definitely let you know one way or another if you get the job. It sucks not knowing, and constantly checking email, but there's not much you can do :/

Good luck!

shibbyiu
June 12th, 2012, 05:28
well thats what my friend said, don't give up. i gave up after i first applied and they rang me up, then i thought its too late now and then BAM! i had invitation to seminar.

I studied Japanese at uni, lived in japan and have taught in Japan before, so i thought my chance must be reasonable. I was even lucky enough to get a reference from the lady i was assistant to in Japan. fingers crossed! when i think i spent £40000 on uni fees and four years of my life to get this far it makes me feel a bit sick to think i can't find a job in Japan.

akanemukade
June 12th, 2012, 07:09
I had to wait 4 weeks to get my reply. Don't worry, you'll hear from them soon :)

neggo
June 12th, 2012, 08:18
Waiting sucks but be patient. I, too, am waiting on Interac. I have already verbally accepted my offer from Peppy Kids Club but I am hoping Interac provides me with news early this week. I contacted Utah head office and they said results should be out this week.

If you don't get in, hey, it happens. Look into other agencies and see where it takes you!

Jujiroll
June 12th, 2012, 11:10
Mate, had mine on the 16th of May here in the UK and still waiting on a answer. I did phone to ask if I was accepted. They told me due to a backlog, bank hols and ref checks it was going to be a little longer before I hear from Japan either way, I should know by this week they told me.

HavingAFit
June 12th, 2012, 13:17
I too am waiting on Interac. I had my seminar on the 26th of May. Question, does anyone know if they send out rejection letters first?

akanemukade
June 12th, 2012, 20:33
Not all of the acceptance and rejection letters go out at the same time, since there are different seminars held at different times. It depends on how fast their back office is moving with the results. When I found out I was accepted, I found out two weeks later that someone else got rejected, and we interviewed around the same time.

Yarantoikenbai
June 12th, 2012, 20:58
Hey, I went to that Interac seminar too! The one in York? I'm Sarah, the redheaded girl.

Don't worry, I haven't heard back from them yet, either. I have been bothering Maria about it, as they lost my letter of graduation, and it took a while to get another one. She's said that they should get in touch within the next few days, but who knows.

They say that they let you know within 3 weeks of Tokyo getting your info, so ask when she sent it out. I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure we'll hear something soon.

Have you got anything else on the go? I've been offered something with Altia, but they haven't given me any more info regarding contract length or start date, so I'm hoping Interac give me an answer this week.

Fingers crossed, I will update as soon as I hear anything, and keep an eye on here for you.

shibbyiu
June 13th, 2012, 04:34
hi, i remember you!

well i wasnt sure if it was 3 weeks from the seminar or 3 weeks from when they send it off. my friend who is currently in Japan with interac said his reply came less than a month. but i know that one of my referee's took his sweet time to reply, upto 2 weeks after the seminar. so, i'm wondering if that makes any difference.

i haven't applied anywhere else, i got a job offer from a korean agency last year but declined, i didnt even get an interview from JET.

my friend who had an interview with interac but didnt get a job said that it took him ages. but he also refused to do a song and dance routine for elementary children so i guess thats why he was unsuccessful.

it is vvvvery stressful waiting... tempted to email Maria...

pika
June 14th, 2012, 10:10
It's not three weeks from the seminar or three weeks from when they send it off, the count down begins when the Tokyo office receives the package. It was a little after a month after my seminar when I received the results. I had two other friends at the same seminar, and they got their results at the same time as I did.

neggo
June 14th, 2012, 15:49
Got an acceptance e-mail today for an April 2013 start. Either that or a Dec 2012 or Feb 2013 start as an alternate...my choice.

The e-mail stated that their August/Sept intake is already full so yeah...maybe you guys will have better luck. Good luck!

shibbyiu
June 14th, 2012, 19:12
ah i didnt get it

why did i even bother spending all that time and money at uni

HavingAFit
June 14th, 2012, 20:54
ah i didnt get it

why did i even bother spending all that time and money at uni

Sorry to hear that.

I feel the same though. Have spent so much at Uni and it feels like a waste.
I haven't heard back from Interac as yet.

What do you think caused you not to get it though? From reading on your experiences you seem extremely qualified for the job. Did anything happen at the seminar?

I'm sorry if I seem nosy lol.

shibbyiu
June 14th, 2012, 21:21
yeah, i studied Japanese for 6 or 7 years, 10 years unofficially.

4 at uni including a year at a Japanese uni. I also taught part time there and had a reference from them.

hmmm, i guess i take for granted my enthusiam to have a job in japan though, as i've spent so long to get one i perhaps come across too realistic as opposed to woo yeah Japan is the greatest place on earth. When the lady asked me about Japan i remember saying how poor we all were on student budgets with the exchange rate munching all our cash. i could have said how wonderful kyoto was instead.

I thought something was up as at the end i was waiting around for my 1-1 and everybody else was being invited to have it even though my demo lesson was 3rd. so i thought thats not right, then of course time ran out when it was my turn. I thought my demo lesson was ok, i was nervous but still felt i acted suitably cringeworthy as the videos. The personality test came over as Gaurdian Idealist, my friend who is a teacher says Idealist is supposed to be the best for a teacher so...

The Japanese policy of not stating why you didn't get the job is so frustrating, they said my experience and qualifications were impressive but... so that leaves me with some harsh reflection on my character lol

HavingAFit
June 14th, 2012, 21:28
Hmm, it is frustrating indeed, not knowing exactly why so you could at least work on it.

At my seminar we went in the order that we went for the demos. I was third. My interviewer had said that I had very realistic expectations. My personality test also had me as a Guardian.

You interviewed two weeks before me. I hope that doesn't mean I have to wait longer than the three weeks. ThisFriday is the end of three weeks for me.

pika
June 15th, 2012, 05:37
HavingAFit, they should send you an e-mail when Tokyo receives the package with your information stating that that is when your three weeks waiting starts.

shibbyiu, sorry to hear you weren't accepted. Don't give up! Keep trying. Avoid saying anything negative next time you apply somewhere. Because you refer to university as "uni" and reference the pound, I'm guessing you're from the UK, lol. Why not try to travel to Japan on a working holiday visa and job hunt in the country? If you studied in Japan for a year, you should have a friend who's willing to lend a couch for a month or so while you apply places. That way you'd be able to be close to the people you met and have a social network upon arrival also. Go with a list of places to apply to and £1000 worth of yen and have at it.

MOFA: The Working Holiday Programmes in Japan (http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/programme.html#1)
"An initial stay of up to six months is granted for Australia, New Zealand and Canada (one year for the Republic of Korea, France, Germany, U.K., Ireland and Denmark. France, U.K., Ireland, Taiwan and Hong Kong cannot be extended.) This may be extended up to another six months by the immigration authorities. Details are available from the Immigration Bureau."

That's a total of 18 months you can stay on a working holiday visa as a UK citizen. Once that's up you should be able to have someone sponsor you a proper working visa.

HavingAFit
June 15th, 2012, 12:47
Well, actually Pika, my recruiter said nothing about receiving an email or anything. All my documents were in by the time of the seminar, so at the end of the interview, he basically told me that I would find out in the next three weeks.

So, here I am.

Yarantoikenbai
June 15th, 2012, 18:35
I was offered a position for this autumn start. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get it, shibbiyu!

As others have said, a working holiday visa is a great way to get back from the UK. However, just to clarify, it does say that you cannot extend the year-long visas given to UK candidates, so you'll be there for one year only on that visa. From what I've heard from sempai of mine, it's fairly easy to change a WH visa to a working visa once you get a job, it sometimes requires a jaunt out of the country, though.

Otherwise, try Altia. I've got another offer from them, too, so I'm stuck between the two now. They seem to be a great company; the pay is a bit better than Interac and there's a high chance of a subsidised flat. Their downside is a lack of placements; they're only in the Chubu area with a small amount of placements in Osaka.

@HavingAFit:I never got an email saying that the documents have been sent; but I did follow up on them because I'm a bit neurotic when it comes to jobs. I need to know what's going on and when! Try emailing your recruiter to ask what's going on.

shibbyiu
June 16th, 2012, 03:22
i'm still in disbelief lol. I've applied to about 9 jobs now, instead of applying to one and thinking yeah i will get it.

my friend has a theory that they dont like to employ people with too much knowledge or experience of japan as they are harder to control and less likely to take crap or have ideas of their own.

my other friend who hadn't studied much japanese but got accepted by interac is not enjoying his time out there, complaining he has to turn up all day even if his lesson is in the afternoon and that the other japanese teachers keep him at a distance amongst other things. but all this time i've been telling him to put a spin on it and enjoy it, i would love to have his opportunity. maybe i should do him a swap lol

pika
June 16th, 2012, 14:45
Well, actually Pika, my recruiter said nothing about receiving an email or anything. All my documents were in by the time of the seminar, so at the end of the interview, he basically told me that I would find out in the next three weeks.

So, here I am.

My recruiter said the same thing and didn't tell us about the confirmation e-mail we would be receiving, and he even sent an e-mail with a summary of the important points from the seminar and instructions going forward the day after, and then a couple weeks later, when I was expecting to hear back about the offer of employment I was surprised to get an e-mail from Tokyo saying that -then- the three week waiting period started.

HavingAFit
June 16th, 2012, 20:43
My recruiter said the same thing and didn't tell us about the confirmation e-mail we would be receiving, and he even sent an e-mail with a summary of the important points from the seminar and instructions going forward the day after, and then a couple weeks later, when I was expecting to hear back about the offer of employment I was surprised to get an e-mail from Tokyo saying that -then- the three week waiting period started.

Hmmm, that's exactly what my recruiter has done. So, I guess that means that they haven't sent it off yet.

Got the two emails you mentioned. Another girl from the seminar said she contacted them to ask them if her file has been sent and they said no.

I will email about mine on Monday.

I find that very unprofessional though.

Yarantoikenbai
June 17th, 2012, 05:17
Hmmm, that's exactly what my recruiter has done. So, I guess that means that they haven't sent it off yet.

Got the two emails you mentioned. Another girl from the seminar said she contacted them to ask them if her file has been sent and they said no.

I will email about mine on Monday.

I find that very unprofessional though.

I hardly think it's unprofessional to follow up on something. It shows you're at least interested. I guess it's a double edged sword. Nagging is rude, but a polite email to ask how things are going isn't a problem, especially given the time frame. Go for it!

HavingAFit
June 17th, 2012, 06:08
I hardly think it's unprofessional to follow up on something. It shows you're at least interested. I guess it's a double edged sword. Nagging is rude, but a polite email to ask how things are going isn't a problem, especially given the time frame. Go for it!

I didn't mean following up is unprofessional. Them telling us wait three weeks at seminar and three weeks later finding out that your files haven't even reached Tokyo as yet is unprofessional.

Yarantoikenbai
June 17th, 2012, 06:44
I didn't mean following up is unprofessional. Them telling us wait three weeks at seminar and three weeks later finding out that your files haven't even reached Tokyo as yet is unprofessional.

Ohh, I see. Yes, I agree. They lost my confirmation of graduation, with loads of personal details on! They made it up, paid me to get a replacement and that, but I was less than impressed.

Let's hope that they've been sent.

HavingAFit
June 17th, 2012, 06:54
Ohh, I see. Yes, I agree. They lost my confirmation of graduation, with loads of personal details on! They made it up, paid me to get a replacement and that, but I was less than impressed.

Let's hope that they've been sent.

I hope they have been. I'll know by Monday though. Just giving them a day more to see. What really sucks is that I could wait all this time and still not get the job.

Laevatienn
June 18th, 2012, 05:56

Hmm, that really depends. The system they use requires people get there crap in (visa docs) and the... references, I believe, before they send the file. If they don't have your references/all your docs then they won't send your file. That and it depends on what area you are in. The Europe recruiting people are... not the best to say the least, for example. Well, good luck with getting your stuff over. Also, they tend to send packages together if they still do it the way they did it a few years ago. Once a week or so. Of course it could be human error as well in which case, well, it happens. It's like playing Russian Roulette, waiting until a human screws something up at some point. Who it effects is up to chance.