PDA

View Full Version : Interac Placements Summer/Fall 2012

akanemukade
June 12th, 2012, 07:28
I just thought I'd go ahead and create this thread for anyone hired by Interac who has or will soon find out their placement for the Summer/Fall 2012 season.

Now, I don't know where I'm going yet, but I do know that our placements will be coming out within the next month or so. So as soon as you guys find out where you're going, let us know so we can all freak out together :)

And yes, I realize that there's always a good chance our placements will get changed at the last minute.

Until then, I'd be interested to hear where everyone requested to be placed.

I requested Hokkaido, so we'll see if that works out.

Sugoi
June 14th, 2012, 08:12
Good Idea, Even just getting a start date would be nice.

I also requested Hokkaido, so here's hoping !

tairygreen
June 14th, 2012, 15:47
I'm not sure what page everyone else is on, but I just got an update stating that my CoE had been placed. Apparently, it takes 3 weeks for it to process. They said that based on the most recent batch, it would take until July 9th for it to be done, so I don't expect to hear anything until then.

akanemukade
June 14th, 2012, 20:37
I'm not sure what page everyone else is on, but I just got an update stating that my CoE had been placed. Apparently, it takes 3 weeks for it to process. They said that based on the most recent batch, it would take until July 9th for it to be done, so I don't expect to hear anything until then.

I got the same email a few days ago. Does that mean those of us who got this email will get our placements on the 9th?

Junipe
June 15th, 2012, 00:04
I was under the impression that the CoE and placements didn't really affect each other. I got my email from Interac last night saying they submitted my CoE paperwork, but they said to expect it around July 25th.

pika
June 15th, 2012, 05:52
I got the same e-mail. For length of stay, if we put 3 years will we have a better chance of getting the 3-year visa? I plan on staying for 2 years, but maybe I will decide to stay an extra year or so. We wouldn't be less likely to get a visa for putting a longer stay, right?

From what I've read it's pretty random whether you get the 1-year visa or the 3-year visa. I would like to try for the 3-year one, because the fewer times I have to go through this visa application process, the better. Anyone else have any thoughts/experiences on this?

greengoo
June 15th, 2012, 11:10
For the record when you stop teaching your instructor visa is invalid even if it has time left, and if you're caught the penalties are basically the same as not having a visa. Sponsoring a visa costs the company little else besides paperwork but it's not like you can teach a year on the visa than go hide in Tokyo.

pika
June 15th, 2012, 12:33
As long as I stay I'll be working, and when I switch from a teaching position I'll file the paperwork to change the visa, but if I decide to teach a second or third year, it'd be nice to already have the visa worked out. Still, thank you for the information.

neggo
June 15th, 2012, 14:06
Just a question since we're on this topic.

If you have a contract for a year and, say, you decide to quit, will your Visa then become invalid? Meaning, if you decide to cut your contract short, you will have to leave Japan?

pika
June 16th, 2012, 14:39
@neggo

No, you can stay and get a different job. But it's hard to find help getting your last month's pay when you violate your contract, and I wouldn't expect any help. Also, you will have lost a good reference. I'm not sure how long you're allowed to be job searching when you decide to quit, though...

Ini
June 18th, 2012, 10:08
interac is a good reference? *snigger*

you have 3 months to find a new job

pika
June 18th, 2012, 11:13
interac is a good reference? *snigger*

you have 3 months to find a new job

Lol. I meant, you lost the opportunity to get a good (positive) reference letter from Interac. Not that Interac is a particularly good reference. I did word that in an unclear way.

jollyrodger
June 22nd, 2012, 15:05
Hello All. This is my first post. I am going to Japan to work for Interac in Autumn and am waiting on my placement info. My CoE has been submitted to the authorities over there so I am in the same boat as many of you. Really looking forward to going now and meeting some new people.

akanemukade
July 4th, 2012, 10:12
Hey guys, I got my placement!

I'm going to be in Sakai City in the Osaka prefecture. I wanted to be in Hokkaido, but the recruiter told me that there aren't a lot of placements up there.

Apparently, a lot of ALTs are placed in Sakai. I'm worried though because the contract expires in March and if I want to stay with Interac, I'll have to move to another city by April, but I decided to accept because I'm glad to be in a city and I don't want to drive. We'll see how it goes. I'm excited though! ^_^

pika
July 4th, 2012, 10:46
Hey guys, I got my placement!

I'm going to be in Sakai City in the Osaka prefecture. I wanted to be in Hokkaido, but the recruiter told me that there aren't a lot of placements up there.

Apparently, a lot of ALTs are placed in Sakai. I'm worried though because the contract expires in March and if I want to stay with Interac, I'll have to move to another city by April, but I decided to accept because I'm glad to be in a city and I don't want to drive. We'll see how it goes. I'm excited though! ^_^

That's awesome! I'm really jealous of your placement! Maybe you can move somewhere nearby and it won't be so bad, or maybe something will open up in Hokkaido and you can live where you wanted to. Either way, congratulations!

akanemukade
July 4th, 2012, 10:52
That's awesome! I'm really jealous of your placement! Maybe you can move somewhere nearby and it won't be so bad, or maybe something will open up in Hokkaido and you can live where you wanted to. Either way, congratulations!

Thanks! I'll also be teaching Junior High.

And yeah, that's what I'm counting on too. Maybe Sakai will be a nice introduction to Japan, and then I can move to Hokkaido next year. I'm more worried about the cost of relocating, hopefully they'll reimburse some of the expense... hopefully.

Yarantoikenbai
July 4th, 2012, 19:43
Holy crap so jearous. Osaka is an awesome, awesome city, seriously. You will get so fat on delicious food. Also, urban placements mean less likelihood of your namesake making an appearance.

Sent off my resume for Interac yesterday so hope that my placement comes soon...Do you have your CoE yet, akanemukade?

akanemukade
July 4th, 2012, 20:09

calebrulezz
July 4th, 2012, 20:27
@ akanemukade: Congratulations dude, that is awesome. So since you got into Osaka, does that mean you got teaching experience? Hmm I also wonder when Australia will start getting placement calls. You guys in the US and UK are always one step ahead of us :P

akanemukade
July 4th, 2012, 22:11

calebrulezz
July 5th, 2012, 08:29
Was your offer a non-driving position?

akanemukade
July 5th, 2012, 09:06

calebrulezz
July 5th, 2012, 15:03
Awesome. Can't wait to get my placement :D

tairygreen
July 6th, 2012, 00:25
Any word on your departure date?

PoseidonCubed
July 6th, 2012, 06:22
Hey everyone...just found this forum. Got a call the other night offering me an opening in Okayama City (also non-driving). E-mailed my confirmation and am eagerly awaiting to hear about the next steps.

Gl to everyone, and hope to maybe meet some of you soon. :)

tairygreen
July 6th, 2012, 06:33
You an Arsenal fan, PoseidonCubed?

akanemukade
July 6th, 2012, 06:54

PoseidonCubed
July 6th, 2012, 07:33
You an Arsenal fan, PoseidonCubed?

Yep, supporting Arsenal proudly from the U.S. It's certainly been an up-and-down last few days (mostly good of course)!

Congrats, Poseidon!! Okayama City looks like a great placement! :) I didn't expect them to give me a call, did you? I thought it would come through email.

No word on departure dates yet, although the recruiter on the phone said I would be starting on August 15th. I believe he was referring to orientation in the Osaka area.

Thanks, you too! Definitey was expecting a late night e-mail, so the call was a nice surprise. I take it you haven't heard anything else new either since learning about your placement?

K-On!
July 6th, 2012, 08:32
Oh, good job! I used to be an Okayama Interac ALT and it was fun.:cool:

akanemukade
July 6th, 2012, 09:30

calebrulezz
July 6th, 2012, 10:02
Anyone from Australia with any news?

PoseidonCubed
July 6th, 2012, 14:44
I just heard back from the Osaka office. Orientation starts August 16th :D awesome!! And now I can FINALLY buy my plane ticket!

:038:

Glad you can conveniently get that sorted right away...buying overseas plane tickets at the last minute will leave you feeling like you've been robbed in many cases.

pika
July 7th, 2012, 01:31
:038:

Glad you can conveniently get that sorted right away...buying overseas plane tickets at the last minute will leave you feeling like you've been robbed in many cases.

When I was checking one-way ticket prices from where I live like six weeks ago they were about $800, now the cheapest I can find are about $1,000. Soon they'll be $1,200. I really hope I get a placement soon!

akanemukade
July 7th, 2012, 02:46
The cheapest fare I found was 1100, so I took it. Only a three hour layover, which isn't bad at all. :)

pika
July 7th, 2012, 08:56
The cheapest fare I found was 1100, so I took it. Only a three hour layover, which isn't bad at all. :)

Must be exciting! Congrats!

Frostie
July 7th, 2012, 19:53
Akanemukade I also am on my way to Sakai and I also requested an Hokkaido placement!

Have you got any dates for flying out yet?

Frostie
July 7th, 2012, 19:54
Haha just read back a few posts and see that its August 16th, So I suppose that might be my flight date! Have you heard about anyone else going to Sakai?

akanemukade
July 7th, 2012, 20:49

Frostie
July 7th, 2012, 21:00
Don't worry I haven't booked anything yet but just having a quick nosy at flights looks like my best option would be to fly out on the 13th. Im just waiting for a phone call on Monday to confirm everything!

I'm excited to meet you at orientation! Do you have facebook?

akanemukade
July 7th, 2012, 21:06
I sent you a PM :)

rozzer
July 9th, 2012, 04:16
Hey guys, thought I'd join you all in this thread- I'm Rory from Ireland, going in August as well!

No news on placements yet, asked for somewhere around the Osaka/Kobe area so I'd be relatively central. Can't wait to find out more!

Yarantoikenbai
July 9th, 2012, 04:37
Hey guys, thought I'd join you all in this thread- I'm Rory from Ireland, going in August as well!

No news on placements yet, asked for somewhere around the Osaka/Kobe area so I'd be relatively central. Can't wait to find out more!

Hello Rory from Ireland!

Just a warning in advance: your requests are just that; don't be too shocked if you find that your placement is in Hokkaido. Akane requested a northern placement and is in central Japan.

Either way, glad to meet you, let's all hope for awesome placements!

pika
July 9th, 2012, 05:56
A question to everyone who has received a placement:

How long did you get the call after your online resume was submitted to Interac's "clients"? Did you receive your CoE in the mail and/or exchange that for a visa before you were given a placement?

akanemukade
July 9th, 2012, 06:51
Good to meet you, Rory! Maybe you'll join me and Frostie in Osaka :) or like Yara said, maybe you'll get the Hokkaido placements we wanted XD either way, I wish you luck!

A question to everyone who has received a placement:

How long did you get the call after your online resume was submitted to Interac's "clients"? Did you receive your CoE in the mail and/or exchange that for a visa before you were given a placement?

I did that online resume thing a month ago. But yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to do that before you get your placement. I think that's how Interac advertises you to different schools.

My COE has not arrived yet, but they said something about mine being ready on July 9th, so it might come this week. So no, your placement does not depend on whenever your COE arrives or is exchanged.

pika
July 9th, 2012, 15:48
Good to meet you, Rory! Maybe you'll join me and Frostie in Osaka :) or like Yara said, maybe you'll get the Hokkaido placements we wanted XD either way, I wish you luck!

I did that online resume thing a month ago. But yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to do that before you get your placement. I think that's how Interac advertises you to different schools.

My COE has not arrived yet, but they said something about mine being ready on July 9th, so it might come this week. So no, your placement does not depend on whenever your COE arrives or is exchanged.

Thank you for the response! I also just received the address confirmation e-mail. My resume was submitted about two weeks ago. It'll be kinda scary not knowing where I'll be for two more weeks and then having to leave just two weeks after that. Also, a plane ticket will be quite expensive at that point. Really excited to head over, though.

calebrulezz
July 9th, 2012, 16:08
Just got a call about my placement. Non driving position in Hiroshima City :D

akanemukade
July 9th, 2012, 21:06
pika, why won't you know your placement for another two weeks?

calebrulezz, Congratulations! That sounds like an awesome placement!

I had no idea Interac has so many city contracts, I thought most of them were inaka like JET...

calebrulezz
July 9th, 2012, 22:10
However, I got told I won't be able to renew my contract in Hiroshima City but based on performance they can help me find another placement in April next year. Did you guys get the same message? It's a shame as I really like my placement.

akanemukade
July 10th, 2012, 02:32
However, I got told I won't be able to renew my contract in Hiroshima City but based on performance they can help me find another placement in April next year. Did you guys get the same message? It's a shame as I really like my placement.

Wow, really? they told me the same thing for my Osaka placement. I hope they don't keep switching us to different cities if we decide to stay on for more than a year...

Yarantoikenbai
July 10th, 2012, 03:57
I got a driving placement offer for Matsue city in Shimane prefecture.

Very disappointed, to be honest. Nowhere near where I wanted, and I really didn't want to drive, either. But, I suppose it could be worse! And if it all goes wrong, then I can relocate at the end of contract. I'm just so worried because there seems to be NOTHING there. No Don Quixote, no Loft, and Google Maps hasn't got a street view, which is always a worrying sign!

Apparently there will be 4 other ALTs in the area, and the Shimane JET page is quite active. Well, we'll see. Will mention that I would have preferred somewhere else with a bit more stuff going on, non-driving.

pika
July 10th, 2012, 05:23

I had no idea Interac has so many city contracts, I thought most of them were inaka like JET...

That would be if it was about the same month-long waiting period after submitting the online resume that you experienced. It might be less time or more time than two weeks. I was just trying to get an expected time, even if it was really off. Hopefully, they sort of do them all at about the same time and I get my placement sometime sooner.

Yarantoikenbai
July 10th, 2012, 08:15

Interac has about 30 places in Sakai city, Osaka. It's a relatively recent thing, and they lost that contract a few years ago and then got it back. They only take in new ALTs for August starts, and then only on the short contracts. They rarely re-contract (if at all) for a full year; it's based on the rules that the government sets for that area.

Also, "urban" is a pretty loose word regarding Japan. Once a city, always a city, even if your population is 200. Many cities in Japan have huge borders that stretch far beyond the true urban centre. You may be thrilled to learn you're going to Nara...until you realise you're in a town on the edge of Nara city with no trains, no car, and one bus an hour.

I can't believe you're still waiting Pika :O I did my resume last week; maybe I'm just lucky in the speed? It could be that they're trying to match your requests and therefore your resume is taking a while to make the rounds.

akanemukade
July 10th, 2012, 08:26
I got a driving placement offer for Matsue city in Shimane prefecture.

Very disappointed, to be honest. Nowhere near where I wanted, and I really didn't want to drive, either. But, I suppose it could be worse! And if it all goes wrong, then I can relocate at the end of contract. I'm just so worried because there seems to be NOTHING there. No Don Quixote, no Loft, and Google Maps hasn't got a street view, which is always a worrying sign!

Apparently there will be 4 other ALTs in the area, and the Shimane JET page is quite active. Well, we'll see. Will mention that I would have preferred somewhere else with a bit more stuff going on, non-driving.

Ok, maybe the driving part does suck, but don't get discouraged! Matsue City looks like a beautiful place to be, even if you are outside the city limits. If you really are in inakaville, at least you'll be able to practice your Japanese. :) And like you said you might be able to transfer at the end of the contract. And Interac said they would give you a higher pay increase if you have to drive, so that's a consolation at least!

And as much as I'm really happy to be in Osaka, I'm kind of disappointed that I have to move out again in March. I really wanted to settle down in one place for a few years, but I guess that's wishful thinking lol so yeah, there are pros and cons to everything.

Watch you may even wind up loving Matsue City, making friends with fellow Interac and JET teachers and loving your school. Then you won't want to leave. :)

Ini
July 10th, 2012, 10:18
since when has loft and Don Quixote been the hallmarks of a good placement? unless you are a 17 year old girl I cant see the appeal of either place.

Yarantoikenbai
July 10th, 2012, 10:43
They don't, but as I know bugger all about this place, it was the first thing I thought of. I furnished most of my flat in Fukuoka from DonKi and Loft, did most of my shopping for daily essentials other than fresh groceries in DonKi, so I use them as a reference.

That and I'm hoping to lure in some 17 year old girls.

@Akane: Thanks for the reassurance! Knee jerk freakout reaction over, and I'm warming to the idea. And for yourself, you never know, there might be a decent position nearby for you. The Kansai area is huge, densely populated and full of people. If Interac falls through, you can always look into other private companies in Japan. Once you're there, it is easier to find something that might suit you better.

Ini
July 10th, 2012, 10:51
so you live in fukuoka for 6 months, learnt the names of 2 chain stores and now anywhere that doesn't have them is automatically rubbish?

dont panic, looking on the map theres a nitori to furnish your flat and a trial for all your daily essentials

coop52
July 10th, 2012, 11:06
If there's a combini, Aeon, and 100 yen store within a 30 min drive or so, you're set. Anything else is a luxury.

calebrulezz
July 10th, 2012, 14:09
Interac has about 30 places in Sakai city, Osaka. It's a relatively recent thing, and they lost that contract a few years ago and then got it back. They only take in new ALTs for August starts, and then only on the short contracts. They rarely re-contract (if at all) for a full year; it's based on the rules that the government sets for that area.

Also, "urban" is a pretty loose word regarding Japan. Once a city, always a city, even if your population is 200. Many cities in Japan have huge borders that stretch far beyond the true urban centre. You may be thrilled to learn you're going to Nara...until you realise you're in a town on the edge of Nara city with no trains, no car, and one bus an hour.

I can't believe you're still waiting Pika :O I did my resume last week; maybe I'm just lucky in the speed? It could be that they're trying to match your requests and therefore your resume is taking a while to make the rounds.

Hey Yarantoikenbai, in regards to re-contracting, do you think that is just for Osaka? Because I'm going to Hiroshima City and I was told on the phone that when my term finishes in March they can help me look for other locations. I'm guessing I'm in the same position as the Osaka people and I won't be able to re-contract.

patrickpants
July 10th, 2012, 14:11
hey guys,
read on here a while but figured I'd post: I've been placed in Sakai City, as well!
non-driving, junior high school.

Yarantoikenbai
July 10th, 2012, 18:10
Hey Yarantoikenbai, in regards to re-contracting, do you think that is just for Osaka? Because I'm going to Hiroshima City and I was told on the phone that when my term finishes in March they can help me look for other locations. I'm guessing I'm in the same position as the Osaka people and I won't be able to re-contract.

Oo, I don't know, I'm afraid. I did ask the gentleman who offered me the placement if the situation was the same for me, but nothing back yet. I had a look through some old forum posts to find the info on Osaka; along with another source that I can't name. I can't find anything like that on Hiroshima, but I'm still looking; I'm to work for Hiroshima branch, too. Most of the information on Interac on online forums is overwhelmingly negative, but I also find that it's usually quite a few years old. I'll let you know as I find more.

calebrulezz
July 10th, 2012, 18:29
Oo, I don't know, I'm afraid. I did ask the gentleman who offered me the placement if the situation was the same for me, but nothing back yet. I had a look through some old forum posts to find the info on Osaka; along with another source that I can't name. I can't find anything like that on Hiroshima, but I'm still looking; I'm to work for Hiroshima branch, too. Most of the information on Interac on online forums is overwhelmingly negative, but I also find that it's usually quite a few years old. I'll let you know as I find more.

I'm going to ask when my branch calls :)

oribaa
July 10th, 2012, 19:13
Got an offer this morning for Okayama city - non-driving as well, though tbh I would have been fine with driving. Haven't accepted just yet; I wanna check with all my Japanese friends that Okayama is just how Interac sold it to me ;) But to be honest, I can't imagine there being any hell holes in Japan, so I'm probably just going to accept it anyway! Very excited now :D

akanemukade
July 11th, 2012, 07:32
Congrats oribaa and patrick!

Patrick, it looks like you'll be joining me and Frostie in Sakai-shi!! We're both going to be working at junior high schools as well. Can't wait to meet you at orientation :)

And oribaa, I would take a chance and go with Okayama City. :) It's non-driving and I don't see why it would be a bad placement.

patrickpants
July 11th, 2012, 07:46
akanemukade and frostie—I'm looking forward to it!

oribaa: okayama city seems like a wonderful placement. reading about it online seems to show some nice sightseeing (okayama castle!)

pika: did you ever find out your placement?

calebrulezz
July 11th, 2012, 08:49
Got an offer this morning for Okayama city - non-driving as well, though tbh I would have been fine with driving. Haven't accepted just yet; I wanna check with all my Japanese friends that Okayama is just how Interac sold it to me ;) But to be honest, I can't imagine there being any hell holes in Japan, so I'm probably just going to accept it anyway! Very excited now :D

Congrats on your placement. Okayama City is a great placement. It can be a little quiet at a times, however it is the central hub between Hiroshima and Osaka. Therefore you can travel between the two at relative ease :)

Tyr
July 11th, 2012, 10:28
Okayama is pretty good. Crappy public transport, especially for such a big city, so non-driving is troublesome, but generally its the kind of placement most people hope to have. Actually in civilization rather than the inaka. Not the prettiest of cities I must say, don't get your hopes up over sight seeing there, but it seems a good place to live. And yeah, Hiroshima and Kansai are quick shink rides away. Shikoku is a train ride away too.

Wow, really? they told me the same thing for my Osaka placement. I hope they don't keep switching us to different cities if we decide to stay on for more than a year...Wow, that sucks.
But don't worry about it too much, once you're settled in a city finding another job in the area isn't hard. Getting a teaching job in Japan from abroad can be tricky and time consuuming but you pretty much can just walk into one once you're here.

pika
July 11th, 2012, 10:56
akanemukade and frostie—I'm looking forward to it!

oribaa: okayama city seems like a wonderful placement. reading about it online seems to show some nice sightseeing (okayama castle!)

pika: did you ever find out your placement?

No news yet. :'(

I'll be so happy once I get a placement, but for now Interac is breaking my heart.

PoseidonCubed
July 11th, 2012, 13:01
Thanks for all the info about Okayama...this fall will be my first time visiting the city, so all the heads-up is very much appreciated. Haven't heard back from Interac yet after accepting the position, but I imagine they're quite busy right now.

calebrulezz
July 11th, 2012, 14:07
Okayama is pretty good. Crappy public transport, especially for such a big city, so non-driving is troublesome, but generally its the kind of placement most people hope to have. Actually in civilization rather than the inaka. Not the prettiest of cities I must say, don't get your hopes up over sight seeing there, but it seems a good place to live. And yeah, Hiroshima and Kansai are quick shink rides away. Shikoku is a train ride away too.

Wow, that sucks.
But don't worry about it too much, once you're settled in a city finding another job in the area isn't hard. Getting a teaching job in Japan from abroad can be tricky and time consuuming but you pretty much can just walk into one once you're here.

Wow, thanks Tyr :) I would prefer to stay in Hiroshima.

oribaa
July 11th, 2012, 16:46
Thanks for all information everyone! I accepted the placement last night, so now it's definite :D It's only three weeks today until I go now! I decided to head out early to stay with a friend in Tokyo....very excited xD

aerandir4
July 11th, 2012, 21:33
Hi there, first post here. I'm still waiting to here from Interac but I have a very important question. On what date exactly do people fly out to Japan in August? Usually people just say late August but I need to book a ticket to London for a visa which will be very close to the date of departure.

Thanks

oribaa
July 12th, 2012, 00:06
Is there a reason you have to leave it so late? I went down to london today to sort it out. As for the date, once you've accepted the placement, rheyll tell you when to come - they being the BoE. But i think Phillip said to me that training will begin around the 12th

tairygreen
July 12th, 2012, 00:15
No news yet. :'(

I'll be so happy once I get a placement, but for now Interac is breaking my heart.

Don't worry, Pika. I haven't heard anything yet. I think reading the boards here just gets the anticipation of hearing up. Stay cool, we'll get our news soon enough.

aerandir4
July 12th, 2012, 01:54
Because the train tickets to and fro Manchester to London can be very expensive if you leave it very late. I might end up spending over £60 for 1 day to London!!!!!

Yarantoikenbai
July 12th, 2012, 03:00
Because the train tickets to and fro Manchester to London can be very expensive if you leave it very late. I might end up spending over £60 for 1 day to London!!!!!

Unfortunately, you just have to wait it out. I knew that I'd be doing loads of train travel this year, so bought the young person's rail card, and it has been SO worth it. If you have one, use it! May not be worth buying it at this point if you don't, though!

If you're really strapped for cash, consider an overnight coach. They're neither fast nor comfortable, but you can get a return for a very cheap price. Also, when booking trains, you have to take into account the advance prices. If you buy your advance ticket home and miss your train, you have to buy a full price ticket again.

OR, you are able to send your passport to the visa office to get it done, but it takes a while and I do not recommend it.

Good luck!

aerandir4
July 12th, 2012, 03:40
thanks for the tips. I was told (on tuesday) that I would be told the results of my application in a couple of weeks, so after adding in one week contigency and assuming it will take 3 weeks, I should find out around the end of July (29th, 30th....). I've actually got a plan to take a coach to London but then get a train back to Manchester the same day. It should work out. By the way can anyone tell me how long it should take at the embassy in London to hand your Working Holiday Visa documents and then leave? i.e 30 mins, 2 hours ???

pika
July 12th, 2012, 06:06
Don't worry, Pika. I haven't heard anything yet. I think reading the boards here just gets the anticipation of hearing up. Stay cool, we'll get our news soon enough.

Thank you! Good to know I'm not alone.

akanemukade
July 12th, 2012, 06:09
Your date of departure depends upon your placement and when your orientation is scheduled. I'm going to be part of the Osaka orientation, so they told me to arrive on August 15th. But other teachers who are flying into Tokyo or Sapporo for placements in those areas might have to arrive on a different day. That's why Interac stresses that you don't buy your plane ticket until you hear from them. I know it's hard to wait, and I know the prices of tickets are going up, but there really isn't much you can do about it. You could arrive early in Japan, but you would have to arrange your own accommodations until orientation starts, and that could get pretty expensive.

oribaa
July 12th, 2012, 07:09

Exactly what I did today :P I'm Chester - London, so not that much less :( I'm just going to ignore my bank statement for today...I'm just not used to those crazy Southern prices...

Sugoi
July 12th, 2012, 07:37
Still waiting here as well for any sign of a placement or departure date, still at least I only have to travel up from Southampton when my visa paperwork arrives! Had teh interview day Waaaaay back in March, so I guess they aren't in any rush :roll:

kindanon
July 12th, 2012, 11:22
I just taught in Sakai last year-had it's ups and downs: I'm glad to see they've told you you'll be leaving in April ( March if you're elementary, I think). Some of the ALTs last year didn't know that, myself included, so it kind of made relocating a bit tough, expensive, and sudden.

However, Sakai is a great place to be-pretty laid back. Tons of Izakayas, Karaoke bars, and game centers/shopping areas to keep you occupied. It's a great place, and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

akanemukade
July 12th, 2012, 11:44
Now when you say expensive, did Interac at least pay for a portion of the relocation to another city? That's what I'm most concerned about.

I'm glad you enjoyed Sakai-shi though. Are you still with Interac? Where did they put you afterwards if you don't mind me asking?

Yarantoikenbai
July 12th, 2012, 16:58
Exactly what I did today :P I'm Chester - London, so not that much less :( I'm just going to ignore my bank statement for today...I'm just not used to those crazy Southern prices...

I feel you, I'm up on the Wirral so I go from Lime Street to London. It's always a painful day when the bank statement comes after a trip down to London....

Has anyone heard from Hiroshima branch yet? I accepted the position on Monday and have yet to hear from them regarding leaving dates. Sakai people are to arrive 16 August, but I can't not know for booking.

calebrulezz
July 12th, 2012, 18:21
I feel you, I'm up on the Wirral so I go from Lime Street to London. It's always a painful day when the bank statement comes after a trip down to London....

Has anyone heard from Hiroshima branch yet? I accepted the position on Monday and have yet to hear from them regarding leaving dates. Sakai people are to arrive 16 August, but I can't not know for booking.

I also accept Hiroshima on Monday, we should know next tuesday by the latest :) will see you at orientation.

oribaa
July 12th, 2012, 18:52

Don't suppose you were at the York interview were you?

Yarantoikenbai
July 12th, 2012, 19:18
Yes! Red hair! Glad to know someone else from there was offered something.

oribaa
July 12th, 2012, 19:21
Haha! Did you graduate with Tanya at Leeds the other day then?
Also, did you have to get a WHV too?

Yarantoikenbai
July 12th, 2012, 19:32
No, I graduated last year from LJMU. Not as good as Leeds, sadly, but I went to school in the USA and I have no A-levels so Leeds wouldn't accept me. Le sigh.

And, no, I am just getting a normal work visa as far as I know. I've sent off my COE forms and they're hoping to get them back by the end of the month, so should have my visa sorted before the first week of August, hopefully. I'm just dying to book my flight and know what money I have for spends otherwise.

oribaa
July 12th, 2012, 19:43
Ahh yeah I know which one you are now :P Two guys with red hair! Ah man that sucks, but then again; who cares now! Got the job ;)

Oh nice! I guess I'll probably see you at orientation then, as despite being in Okayama prefecture, I'm with the Hiroshima branch :) I've already booked my flight though cause I'm staying with a friend until training xD

calebrulezz
July 12th, 2012, 23:04
Dam guys we are so lucky to be given great placements this year. This time last year many people were deferred or offered alternate positions. I am so grateful :D

kurenai
July 13th, 2012, 14:28
I am also going to Okayama! Though Maniwa instead of Okayama city. It looks quite pretty but fairly inaka. Anyone know anything about it? It's driving (and I really didn't want to drive) but hey, having a car may end up being great.

Lianwen
July 13th, 2012, 18:20
Hi hi. I submitted an application this afternoon and heard back that I've got an interview for a position as an ALT in Sakai city next week.

I'm actually surprised how quickly the turn around was.

What's the deal with Sakai city? Is it sinking?

calebrulezz
July 13th, 2012, 23:19
Has anyone that is placed in Hiroshima City, received a call from the Hiroshima Branch yet?

pika
July 14th, 2012, 03:00
Everyday that goes by without any news on placement from Interac destroys my soul a little. Lol.

Someone call a whaaaambulance for me please.

PoseidonCubed
July 14th, 2012, 03:34
Everyday that goes by without any news on placement from Interac destroys my soul a little. Lol.

This. Hopefully Monday!

Sent my address confirmation for the CoE early this week, so I'm looking forward to that as well.

tairygreen
July 15th, 2012, 02:12
For those of us who haven't heard anything yet, I called HQ in Japan and talked to Dariya the other day. Apparently about half of the hires have been placed so far, and the other half should expect to hear something by the next week. If they do not have a placement lined up for you, they will still tell you when to purchase a ticket so that prices aren't too bad, and you can attend orientation.

Also, I hated that grammar test.

That is all.

pika
July 15th, 2012, 02:21
For those of us who haven't heard anything yet, I called HQ is Japan and talked to Dariya the other day. Apparently about half of the hires have been placed so far, and the other half should expect to hear something by the next week. If they do not have a placement lined up for you, they will still tell you when to purchase a ticket so that prices aren't too bad, and you can attend orientation.

Also, I hated that grammar test.

That is all.

Thank you tairygreen! I really, really appreciate this post. A weight has been lifted from my chest.

On a separate note, I despised the grammar test as well. I thought it would be similar to the one we took at the seminar, but it was so much harder!

tairygreen
July 15th, 2012, 02:34
No worries. My family just signed up with Vonage so I thought that I should put my free international calling to use. If I don't hear anything by Thursday I will call again in the evening, as it is their Friday. I would suggest calling yourself as well. Dariya is really nice and gave pretty thorough explanations to all of the questions I had.

rozzer
July 15th, 2012, 17:40
I emailed Dariya-because I started worrying when everyone I knew had heard and I didn't- and she said that if we don't hear by Friday(the 20th) we'll probably be asked to book a flight for the Tokyo orientation on the 21st of August.

oribaa
July 15th, 2012, 17:55
I dunno about anyone else, but I got the pre-departure info email this morning from Ryan. 12th of August I need to arrive as Kansai Int'l

akanemukade
July 15th, 2012, 22:07
The 12th, huh? That's strange, I'm flying into Kansai as well but not until the 15th. I guess you're going to a different orientation then.

oribaa
July 15th, 2012, 22:40
Probably - mine's actually in Okayama City, even though I'm with the Hiroshima BoE. I need to work out whether it's cheaper to get the train from Tokyo to Kansai AP and then use the travel they provide to the accommodation or whether to just get myself there o.O

jollyrodger
July 16th, 2012, 13:56
I have been offered a placement in Machida-shi, in Western Tokyo. Look 's like a good place and a little closer to nature than the dead central part. I have been told I will need to be over there around the 21st. So it may be that Kanto is a little later than Kansai orientation but then again, it wasn't set in stone at this stage.

akanemukade
July 16th, 2012, 21:25
That's cool! Congrats, jolly! I was starting to think all the placements they had this season were in the south.

pika
July 17th, 2012, 02:38
I have been offered a placement in Machida-shi, in Western Tokyo. Look 's like a good place and a little closer to nature than the dead central part. I have been told I will need to be over there around the 21st. So it may be that Kanto is a little later than Kansai orientation but then again, it wasn't set in stone at this stage.

Congrats! That's an awesome placement.

mteacher80
July 17th, 2012, 06:57
Machida rocks, only place I was ever arrested in Japan, but I'd love to go back. Check out Hachioji sometime too! I lived even further out in fuchinobe, so on our limited student funds machida was the closest into he city we regularly made it. Nice placement!

Yarantoikenbai
July 17th, 2012, 17:41
I'm to arrive in Hiroshima for training at the 19th of August.

Looks fun, who else is going around that time? Training will include my 23rd birthday so I hope you're all up for partying and a painful hangover the following day.

I'm getting really nervous now, so much stuff not planned! ALL THE FEELS.

calebrulezz
July 17th, 2012, 18:14
I'm to arrive in Hiroshima for training at the 19th of August.

Looks fun, who else is going around that time? Training will include my 23rd birthday so I hope you're all up for partying and a painful hangover the following day.

I'm getting really nervous now, so much stuff not planned! ALL THE FEELS.

Hey Yarantoikenbai, I am going to that orientation to. I'm going to arrive at arrive a couple of days earlier in Osaka to settle in Japan. You catching Shinkansen to Hiroshima? Or what airport u arriving in?

Yarantoikenbai
July 17th, 2012, 19:27
I haven't decided yet, but I think I'll probably fly straight to Hiroshima, if I can. I want to avoid flying further south and getting the train up, because I don't think I could handle the nostalgia of being in Kyushu! Would upset me to have to leave, haha.

As the shinkansen is rather expensive, so if I can book a flight directly there through an agent, I will. Trying to save as much money as humanly possible, but I'm going to look into it further tonight after work.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you book your flight? I'm trying to find a cheap one, but at the moment I can't find anything for less than £800, and then I'd need to spend more to get from Kansai Int'l to Hiroshima.

samosamosamo
July 17th, 2012, 22:58
Hey guys :^_^:

I was offered my first placement the other day in Minobu, Yamanashi prefecture. After careful consideration, I decided to turn down the placement.

Is anyone else in the same position where they have declined a placement? I hope this doesn't slow things down too much or jeopardise my chances of finding another placement in time.

Yarantoikenbai
July 18th, 2012, 06:09
Hi and welcome!

I don't know personally, but it seems you can turn down quite a few placements, BUT you should be careful. Obviously, the more you turn down, the less likely you are to be successfully offered something.

I accepted the first one I was offered, even though I didn't want to go to the area. But, after a bit of research, I've found fellow ALTs over there, and it turns out my sempai from uni is actually living in the same dinky city! Be open minded, no matter how shit it looks, you'll be working so much that you won't have much time for worrying about it.

And remember, middle of nowhere = middle of awesome. People are so much more responsive to you as a gaijin, and a lot more welcoming. Unless you're an antisocial twat like me.

akanemukade
July 18th, 2012, 07:36

samosamosamo
July 18th, 2012, 08:29
Hi and welcome!

I don't know personally, but it seems you can turn down quite a few placements, BUT you should be careful. Obviously, the more you turn down, the less likely you are to be successfully offered something.

I accepted the first one I was offered, even though I didn't want to go to the area. But, after a bit of research, I've found fellow ALTs over there, and it turns out my sempai from uni is actually living in the same dinky city! Be open minded, no matter how shit it looks, you'll be working so much that you won't have much time for worrying about it.

And remember, middle of nowhere = middle of awesome. People are so much more responsive to you as a gaijin, and a lot more welcoming. Unless you're an antisocial twat like me.

Haha, thanks for the prompt reply Yarantoikenbai (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/members/yarantoikenbai.html). You're clearly a bit more sociable than you let on ;) I'm looking forward to getting stuck in with my work and meeting new people. However, Minobu just didn't tick any of the boxes for me (other than 1. Being a place in Japan).

akanemukade (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/members/akanemukade.html) - I'm sure Yamanashi is a great place to live and from what I saw the area seemed nice but my preference was for somewhere in the north of Japan, in an urban environment.

Now, before I get accused of naivety, I am well aware that placement preferences rarely come to fruition but the placement in Minobu just didn't do it for me. It is very inaka with only 5000 people living in the town (which is not a problem but certainly not a preference), was asking me to drive some distance (not great) between at least 5 schools (also not great) and mainly teaching elementary kids (not exactly my cup of tea).

I've brought this up with the guys in Tokyo so hopefully my next placement will offer some improvement on the last. I'm genuinely flexible when it comes to the transition to Japan but I would rather have a placement I was happy with from the outset.

Lianwen
July 18th, 2012, 08:41
I just want to bring up that a lot of Interac placements are teaching ES children.

And for those of you debating about travel and have orientation midway through August: most things are booked up solid or are an arm and a leg now. So, don't wait until last minute.

akanemukade
July 18th, 2012, 10:11

pika
July 18th, 2012, 12:37
I just want to bring up that a lot of Interac placements are teaching ES children.

And for those of you debating about travel and have orientation midway through August: most things are booked up solid or are an arm and a leg now. So, don't wait until last minute.

I wish I could buy my plane ticket already. But I don't know if I'll be training in Osaka on the 15th or Tokyo on the 20th, so it's hard to buy it now. I am anxiously awaiting the okay from Interac to do so, as well as a placement. I think I'm slowly going insane, lol.

Lianwen
July 18th, 2012, 13:22
Hmmm. Flying from America, the cheapest flights you're gonna get are starting around 1200usd, and that's flying to Tokyo, not in to Osaka. If I were you, I'd err on side of caution, and buy tickets to Tokyo for a 14th or 13th arrival. Then you can nightbus/day bus down (Shink is gonna cost you 25000yen) from anywhere between 4k-9kyen to Osaka if you have Osaka training.

If not, stay in Tokyo for approx 5 days. The cheapest place I can think of is 3k a night, but you can couch surf as well, or find another ALT who works in Tokyo that might put you up (reach out to other Interac ALTs?). Food/accommodation (assuming you're not izakaya-ing every night or drinking like a fish) shouldn't run you more than 2man for 5 days/nights. Throw in an extra 2k on a suica pass if you want to go sight seeing by bus/train.

The closer you wait to buy your tickets though, the higher the prices are going to skyrocket, especially as you're coming in during Obon.

...Did any of you interview in Japan for the Interac ALT position? I have an interview next week at the Osaka branch for August/September start, but I have no idea what to expect besides an interview and sample lesson. I imagine it's probably different from interviews in international companies?

PoseidonCubed
July 18th, 2012, 14:41
Yeah, the most important thing for me as well as non-driving, and thanks to a few posters itt, I have all the more reason to be thankful for the placement.

Orientation starts on the 13th for me. Trying to hold off on buying my plane ticket in case there are any delays with the CoE and visa process, but ideally I'd like to arrive in Tokyo or Fukuoka a few days early to relax and try to see friends before orientation, then either fly or take the Shinkansen to Okayama.

Good luck to everyone else with their placements and travel arrangements! It might not feel like it, but Japan is right around the corner.

pika
July 19th, 2012, 03:20
Excellent points Lianwen, but if I followed that advice and got the same instructions as oribaa...

I dunno about anyone else, but I got the pre-departure info email this morning from Ryan. 12th of August I need to arrive as Kansai Int'l

or if I got deferred until spring, I'd be screwed. I mean, it'd probably be okay, and everything's a gamble, but I'd rather play it safe and lose $500-800 to a plane ticket hike and avoid the possibility of arriving at the wrong time or being deferred when I've already bought a ticket. They should be letting us know by the end of the week, someone posted. I'll probably call Interac myself later tonight if I don't hear back.

Yarantoikenbai
July 19th, 2012, 06:07
Excellent points Lianwen, but if I followed that advice and got the same instructions as oribaa...

or if I got deferred until spring, I'd be screwed. I mean, it'd probably be okay, and everything's a gamble, but I'd rather play it safe and lose $500-800 to a plane ticket hike and avoid the possibility of arriving at the wrong time or being deferred when I've already bought a ticket. They should be letting us know by the end of the week, someone posted. I'll probably call Interac myself later tonight if I don't hear back.

I can't imagine they'd defer you til spring. If you've signed a contract thing, then that's bang out of order. Probably just not been able to find a suitable position yet!

patrickpants
July 19th, 2012, 07:25
If you've signed a contract thing, then that's bang out of order.

this is not always true. lots of people get alternate positions and/or deferred. just hang in there and hope for the best—they are placing hundreds of participants, so keep that in mind.

pika
July 19th, 2012, 10:12
I can't imagine they'd defer you til spring. If you've signed a contract thing, then that's bang out of order. Probably just not been able to find a suitable position yet!

I don't think anyone signs the actual contract of employment until they get a position and meet with the local branch. Anything up to that point is just tentative for visa purposes. I think that's how it is, at least, from what I've read.

[EDIT] This is me waiting to hear back from Interac: http://youtu.be/Zw-cuyNAcQ8
(okay, a lot of it doesn't apply)

taikokon
July 19th, 2012, 15:28
Hi everyone, I recently got my employment location with Interac in Sakai City. I am very pleased because I used to go to school in Osaka when I studied abroad. It wasn't my first choice; however, I will enjoy it anyways :D I love Osaka, so it couldn't have been a better location. I picked up my one way ticket for 786.00 which was the cheapest I could find. Everyone should look at IACE. I'm arriving earlier prior to the 15th on the 9th because tickets are cheaper. Traveling to Japan in August is always expensive from previous experiences because Japanese people always travel back and fourth in this time frame. My advice is to go early as possible or late as possible in August to get cheaper flights. I hope everyone else gets their locations soon ^^;

akanemukade
July 19th, 2012, 19:57

tairygreen
July 20th, 2012, 00:08
I have yet to receive a placement, but I did receive an email today stating that I could attend the Tokyo training on the 21st and receive my placement later. Sounds a little bit....anxiety laden as they can basically give you an assignment with no option to back out. Conversely, I am definitely not waiting until spring.

As a side note, for those of you who do not know Japanese, I found this really cool Chrome extension called Polyglot that changes random words into Kanji and helps you learn them contextually. Pretty neat stuff.

Giro
July 20th, 2012, 01:02
Hello all, only came across this forum today wish I'd seen it before, very useful to know what is happening elsewhere.

I am also without a placement and received the email today. I've replied asking some questions about the process of being an 'alternate' including if we can still decline a placement once there, if they will fund accommodation in Tokyo etc.I'm actually not that fussy so fingers crossed we still might get a placement before going anyway.....

taikokon
July 20th, 2012, 01:13
Hello all, only came across this forum today wish I'd seen it before, very useful to know what is happening elsewhere.

I am also without a placement and received the email today. I've replied asking some questions about the process of being an 'alternate' including if we can still decline a placement once there, if they will fund accommodation in Tokyo etc.I'm actually not that fussy so fingers crossed we still might get a placement before going anyway.....

They will fund your fund hotel in Tokyo or where orientation is. You only have to provide airfare. I hope you and tairygreen can finally book tickets now ! :D

Yarantoikenbai
July 20th, 2012, 05:42

For flights from the UK, use one of these:

H.I.S. Europe Ltd. (http://www.his-euro.co.uk)
Home - Cheap flights to Japan, Hotels, package holiday deal - Japan Travel Centre (http://www.japantravel.co.uk)

I used HIS for my flight to Hiroshima and it's a good deal - 725 quid, return flight, London > Seoul > Hiroshima. They offered some other good flights too - Virgin special direct to Tokyo from London for quite a reasonable price.

DO IT FAST! It's Obon and Olympic time, and I had big difficulties finding a spot on a flight full stop.

Anyway, glad to know that you've been offered the alternate status. They set you up in a place that other teachers use, give you odd jobs and other things around the office, keep you around and well kept. At least you're IN Japan, though!

PoseidonCubed
July 20th, 2012, 05:59
Has anyone received their CoE by mail yet?

tairygreen
July 20th, 2012, 06:39
I have not received my CoE yet. I will be placing a call on Sunday to see what the status is on that and will post an update for everyone.

Airfare!

For those of you looking, I have found some marvelous alternatives to the big money sites. Vayama.com, skyscanner.com, and fly.com are pretty darn comprehensive. I will be purchasing it today and let you know what I find.

pika
July 20th, 2012, 07:34
Hmmm, I sent an e-mail (was going to call, but it was around what might be their lunch time, so I e-mailed) last night asking what was up with the placement situation. I received a very nice reply stating that they'd be getting in contact with everyone over the next 2-3 Japanese business days. It asked for the best number and the best time to reach me at. The e-mail also said to please wait to purchase airfare until the placement is confirmed. The other two people who got hired from my seminar both got their placements already, so I feel a little anxious.

Congrats Taikokan! Welcome to the forum.

calebrulezz
July 20th, 2012, 12:09
I booked my ticket to Osaka to stay overnight then Shinkansen down to Hiroshima for Orientation on the 19th August. Anyone received any info on assignments yet?

patrickpants
July 20th, 2012, 15:00
...I have not received my CoE yet. I will be placing a call on Sunday to see what the status is on that and will post an update...

I just got an email confirming my CoE is en route.

calebrulezz
July 20th, 2012, 15:12

Hey Patrickpants, when were Interac first expecting for you COE to arrive?

PoseidonCubed
July 20th, 2012, 15:17

Same here!

It's supposed to arrive on the 23rd of July, after which I'll have to mail it along with the visa app to Chicago and wait. Cutting it kind of close for an August 13th orientation date, but I'm relieved it's finally in the mail.

patrickpants
July 20th, 2012, 15:26
Hey Patrickpants, when were Interac first expecting for you COE to arrive?

I was in the batch that arrived on July 9th, and it is expected to be received at my home address around the 23rd.

Yarantoikenbai
July 20th, 2012, 17:46
That's a bit worrying for me; they said that they expect my CoE after 30 July, but if it takes that long to arrive, I won't have the visa before I need to fly. Ugh, looks like another phone call is needed ><

rozzer
July 20th, 2012, 18:23
I have yet to receive a placement, but I did receive an email today stating that I could attend the Tokyo training on the 21st and receive my placement later. Sounds a little bit....anxiety laden as they can basically give you an assignment with no option to back out. Conversely, I am definitely not waiting until spring.

I'm in the same boat, booked my flights and off to the embassy now for my working holiday visa.

pika
July 21st, 2012, 02:12
I'm sure everyone received the Facebook group invite e-mail. Anyone else a bit scared of joining? On the one hand, it does seem like a good networking place to meet other ALTs, but on the other hand, there's probably a lot of negative stuff on my Facebook I wouldn't like Interac to see...

Yarantoikenbai
July 21st, 2012, 05:39
Unless you're a blinding racist/drug addict/murderer/kiddy fiddler with proof on your Facebook, I wouldn't worry. Once you have your first enkai, you'll be so boozed up that any pics on Facebook will pale in comparison. It does have some good links and discussions on it so definitely give it a look.

tairygreen
July 21st, 2012, 06:24
I am wary of joining the Facebook group as well, for the same reasons. It isn't that there is anything incriminating on my page, but I would prefer that it remained private. As far as networking, this board works just fine for me.

pika
July 21st, 2012, 07:32
Unless you're a blinding racist/drug addict/murderer/kiddy fiddler with proof on your Facebook, I wouldn't worry. Once you have your first enkai, you'll be so boozed up that any pics on Facebook will pale in comparison. It does have some good links and discussions on it so definitely give it a look.

I'm not any of those things, but I've had my Facebook since I was like 15 or 16, and I was a very experimental high school student. Evidence of underage drinking, immodest pictures, and inappropriate comments can definitely be found on my page, evidence of drug use on several of my friends' pages. Idk how much they look into things, is all.

[EDIT] Why couldn't they have used LinkedIn? Lol.

calebrulezz
July 21st, 2012, 11:58
Attention guys, thought you should know:
★ CoE UPDATE ★ 49 CoE packs were dispatched from the Tokyo Head Office today by FedEx

Updated on the Interac Facebook Members page. Considering there will be close to 180 people coming to Japan as ALT's, that is 25% of COE's posted at once :)

akanemukade
July 21st, 2012, 19:56
Mine is arriving on Monday, according to FedEx. I'm pretty excited! :)

calebrulezz
July 21st, 2012, 20:39
Mine is arriving on Monday, according to FedEx. I'm pretty excited! :)

How do you know? How did you get the tracking number?

akanemukade
July 22nd, 2012, 03:00
Yep, Interac sent me a tracking number, and according to FedEx it's already at the processing facility in my state.

calebrulezz
July 23rd, 2012, 19:28
Just to keep you guys posted COE's have been delayed :(

tairygreen
July 24th, 2012, 00:03
Just to keep you guys posted COE's have been delayed :(

Not here in the States. FedEx actually called to inform me of the delivery.

Did they give any reason as to why or what the new projected delivery date is?

akanemukade
July 24th, 2012, 03:37
I heard they're only sending out a bunch at a time, like around 40 or 50 at a time. I'm not sure if that's how they handled it in previous years, but maybe that has something to do with it?

I just handed mine in for my Visa today, so I consider myself lucky.

calebrulezz
July 24th, 2012, 07:47
From Interac Members Facebook page:
★ CoE UPDATE ★ Due to the recent changes in the residence management system in Japan, the processing of CoEs is taking a little longer than usual. If you have not been advised of your CoE issue yet don't panic! A placement/recruitment representative from Tokyo will email you as soon as it is in (please refrain from emailing about this for now).

patrickpants
July 24th, 2012, 13:38
I just handed mine in for my Visa today, so I consider myself lucky.

you are lucky… I got mine, but have to mail it out of state for the visa…

Giro
July 25th, 2012, 03:09
I just got an email with my fedex tracking details. Anyone have any ideas how long the visa takes to turn around once you've dropped off the documents?

Yarantoikenbai
July 25th, 2012, 04:10
Embassy of Japan in the UK (http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/visa/CoE.html)

3 days for us in the UK. Allow for longer, obviously :)

akanemukade
July 25th, 2012, 06:41
I brought my CoE directly to my local consulate and I plan to pick the Visa up once it's ready. I was told that it generally takes four business days to process, but if they're really busy it could take up to seven business days.

pika
July 25th, 2012, 08:32
I got a placement finally (PM me if you're interested where), and I'll be attending the August 21st Tokyo training! I've bought my plane ticket, and my CoE should arrive tomorrow. So exciting!

Tyr
July 25th, 2012, 09:52
I'm not any of those things, but I've had my Facebook since I was like 15 or 16, and I was a very experimental high school student. Evidence of underage drinking, immodest pictures, and inappropriate comments can definitely be found on my page, evidence of drug use on several of my friends' pages. Idk how much they look into things, is all.

[EDIT] Why couldn't they have used LinkedIn? Lol.

Dude, privacy settings.
You can make it so nobody or not certain groups of people or only certain people can view photos tagged of you or photo albums of you.
I have pictures of all kinds of unprofessional dodgyness on facebook, I specifically have my settings so that that kind of thing isnt available to my mother and the students who decide to add me though.

jollyrodger
July 25th, 2012, 12:13
Took my CoE to the Embassy today for pick-up next week. The fed-ex service was pretty good. I was at work so they can leave it for you if you let them know on a card they leave. Have bboked flights and such and will arrive on the 21st Aug. I had a party at the Ambassador's residence last night and we spoke of Japan etc. I'm pretty excited now.

calebrulezz
July 25th, 2012, 18:29
Got my COE today. Ohh yeha. Taking it tomorrow to get visa. Everything is falling together quickly :)

Btw congrats Pika on your placement :D

pika
July 26th, 2012, 10:13
Got my COE today. Ohh yeha. Taking it tomorrow to get visa. Everything is falling together quickly :)

Btw congrats Pika on your placement :D

Thank you! I'm taking my CoE in tomorrow. I'll be very happy to meet people in Tokyo soon. The days until departure are melting away.

kittycat
July 27th, 2012, 02:07
Hi guys, just found this forum and it is excellent! Anyway I'm coming over in August, but I've just found out I'll be working in the office in Tokyo and occasionally as a substitute. I was so prepared for teaching I'm worried about what the office job is like. Does anyone have any idea? Has anyone else been offered this type of job? Help!

akanemukade
July 27th, 2012, 11:02
I think I recall hearing somewhere that they occasionally offer office positions to people who can speak Japanese pretty well until they find a teaching position for them to fill. Maybe that's why you were chosen to work there? Is the office position permanent or temporary?

Lianwen
July 27th, 2012, 18:02
I ended up declining the interview for Sakai City.

kittycat
July 27th, 2012, 20:03
I think I recall hearing somewhere that they occasionally offer office positions to people who can speak Japanese pretty well until they find a teaching position for them to fill. Maybe that's why you were chosen to work there? Is the office position permanent or temporary?

Ah ok, I do speak Japanese so maybe that's it! I think it's kinda permanent but I have a four month contract so that could be a factor too. Really looking forward to getting my CoE and all now! :) Thanks for the help!

akanemukade
July 27th, 2012, 20:34
No problem! I'm sorry to hear you aren't teaching right away, but maybe you'll like working in the office more? Good luck! ^_^

PoseidonCubed
July 28th, 2012, 04:41
Got my visa delivered this morning by FedEx after mailing the CoE to Chicago on Monday. Such a good feeling to finally have it!

akanemukade
July 28th, 2012, 05:38
I just picked up my Visa today as well! It's a good feeling :)

frecklegirl
July 28th, 2012, 16:01
Hello! Placed in Matsue-shi in Shimane-ken, will be attending training in Hiroshima. (Originally I was placed in Aichi-ken, but I rejected it because there is no way I'm dealing with serious snow, and I want to be close to my sister who is a JET ALT in Kyushu.) I scored 222 on the JCAT and had my phone interview this week; not sure if I "passed" or not yet but I thought it went well, although I'm not sure what they're looking for. It was my impression in the group interview that you only got the bonus if you had N2 or above, and the JCAT score was just to help with placement. I am planning to take N2 in December but currently have no JLPT certification.

Got my CoE on Monday and promptly mailed it to my consulate, so hopefully it has arrived/will arrive safely. I SHOULD get it back before my plane leaves on the 17th...

Feeling a little worried about Interac's bad reputation... but it came highly recommended by a friend who worked for them for several years, so I'm hoping for the best. I would have preferred to go with JET who accepted me two years ago (but I turned it down for a variety of reasons that made sense at the time), but the deadline was off this year so I missed it.

Anyone else look at the sample first lessons and get a little freaked out? Repeating everything three times, smiling nonstop, shaking hands, etc... I think I can do it but it's just not at all how I normally behave (well, obviously) so it's a little nerve-wracking!

rozzer
July 28th, 2012, 17:26
Hey, I was an alternate, but have now been upgraded and am now going to be a JHS teacher in Okayama! I'll be arriving for training on the 12th of August.

So excited now, but the idea of it being two weeks away is terrifying!

Yarantoikenbai
July 29th, 2012, 04:41
I'm in Matsue, too, Freckle :) Check your messages, and feel free to add me on Facebook. See you at training!

akanemukade
July 29th, 2012, 06:07
So many Okayama teachers... even on the Facebook group. How many of you guys are there? :P

Yarantoikenbai
July 29th, 2012, 06:48
I'm in a pickle, and I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same situation as me. Here's a quick run down of what has happened:

Thurs 14 June - Job offer made and accepted
Mon 18 June - CoE application documents emailed
Tues 19 June - hard copies sent
22 June - Interac applied for my CoE

They expected it originally around now, but they've said things have been delayed, and they don't expect to receive it until 8 August.

Flight had been booked, as they had previously assured me there was plenty of time left, and plans are made, so I can't NOT go, but I don't think I'll get my CoE in time, as I leave on the 17th of August.

Is anyone else still waiting for their CoE?

tairygreen
July 29th, 2012, 08:04
They expected it originally around now, but they've said things have been delayed, and they don't expect to receive it until 8 August.

Flight had been booked, as they had previously assured me there was plenty of time left, and plans are made, so I can't NOT go, but I don't think I'll get my CoE in time, as I leave on the 17th of August.

Is anyone else still waiting for their CoE?

I think you'll be fine. It took 3 days for my CoE to arrive by mail from Japan. I just took it to the embassy yesterday and have to wait until Tuesday to pick it up. That's six business days total. If it comes by the 11th, and you get it to your embassy by the 12th, you'll be cutting it really close but still make it. I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep updated with Interac on the situation and explain your situation to them. I'm sure they will help you work something out.

frecklegirl
July 31st, 2012, 09:46
Surprisingly, it turns out I do qualify for the 5,000y a month bonus bc of my JCAT/phone interview results, even though I don't have N2 (yet). So that's exciting! Yarantoikenbai, did they let you submit your N2 certificate in lieu of your JCAT score? Good luck with the visa situation!!

Yarantoikenbai
July 31st, 2012, 19:21
Freckle - nope. I scored 200 on the JCAT, but they wouldn't give me a phone interview despite being a point off. My listening was really high, as always, but my reading rather sucks, and I've been out of anything Japanese-related (uni finished, my work involves the general public of Ellesmere Port, NO Japanese practice at all.) Kind of pissed off, but I'm going to bring it up at orientation. They wanted my N2 to show my placement, though. I'll have to ask.

Are you driving in Matsue? My placement requires driving, but I honestly know almost NOTHING about it right now; nothing about number of schools, what ages, nothing. I'd like to buy some omiyage for the teachers at my schools, but I haven't any idea what would be sufficient. Can't really buy clothes without knowing what I'm doing; a pencil skirt is not going to go well with running around after elementary school kids, but more relaxed clothes don't sit well with JHS or HS.

Nothing yet about the CoE, so another day of waiting. I can't even get a WHV and go on that, as I already have another application in the works for the CoE. I have no control over anything, so I'm just trying to get everything else sorted out and then I can focus everything on the visa when the time comes. Chilling out and enjoying time at home until then.

pika
August 1st, 2012, 06:48
Congrats on the bonus freckle!

Yarantoikenbai, it was 18 days between Interac lodging the application for my CoE and actually receiving it at my doorstep. If the same goes for you, it should arrive around the 9th, which will be enough time to get a visa (I got my CoE last Wednesday, dropped it off at the consulate on Thursday, and picked my visa up today, which is Tuesday). You'll probably have your visa on about the 15th. It's cutting it close, but it should be okay.

pika
August 1st, 2012, 06:51
Has anyone gone to the doctor for a chest X-ray yet? I'm wondering if I should just wing it and get it done in Japan. I feel like it'd be unusual to get inconclusive results.

akanemukade
August 1st, 2012, 07:15
I'm getting it done here in the states because I know that I'll be preoccupied with too many other things once I get to Japan. Actually, the Osaka office told me they preferred if I got it done at home and brought the results with me to give to them on the first day of orientation, so it works for me. Other branches might have different policies though.

patrickpants
August 1st, 2012, 07:57
Has anyone gone to the doctor for a chest X-ray yet? I'm wondering if I should just wing it and get it done in Japan. I feel like it'd be unusual to get inconclusive results.

the x-ray is pretty expensive... you should go with the skin test option that interac mentions:

Should you wish to undertake a TB test in your home country in order to avoid this risk, please arrange for a TB examination (blood test, skin test or an x-ray) at your own time and expense and submit the results to INTERAC’s Tokyo office by either fax or e-mail. Please bring the original results with you when you come to Japan.

I got the regular skin test, because it was about $50 cheaper than the xray test, at about $9 for the test. It was really simple and took about 5 minutes each visit.

Lianwen
August 1st, 2012, 10:24
the x-ray is pretty expensive... you should go with the skin test option that interac mentions:

I just had a chest x-ray done in Japan, but not for visa purposes. If people are waiting to get the x-ray done in Japan, it'll run around 4000yen, including doctor's visit, under national health insurance.

So, yeah. Probs more expensive than America.

akanemukade
August 1st, 2012, 10:28
Wait you guys, didn't Interac send a correction email stating that we had to have a chest x-ray no matter what?

pika
August 1st, 2012, 10:49

I got the regular skin test, because it was about $50 cheaper than the xray test, at about $9 for the test. It was really simple and took about 5 minutes each visit.

Interac will pay for it in Japan. I don't have health insurance in the US, so it'd probably be about $200 to get it done here. So it's really free versus $200 for the x-ray.

But, if it's done in America, a blood test, skin test or an x-ray is fine. The blood test or skin test might be significantly less, I haven't looked into it.

patrickpants
August 1st, 2012, 15:19
The blood test or skin test might be significantly less, I haven't looked into it.

I have insurance, and the co-pay at the clinic would have been more expensive than the $9 test itself, so if you have the time it might be a decent investment and less invasive than a chest x-ray. It is entirely up to you, though.

calebrulezz
August 1st, 2012, 22:30
Yo guys got my visa today and submitted my tb results to HO. They accepted my skin test, and it is recommended as why expose yourself to unneeded radiation :)

patrickpants
August 2nd, 2012, 07:13
Wait you guys, didn't Interac send a correction email stating that we had to have a chest x-ray no matter what?

not quite, the correction email states

Should you wish to undertake a TB test in your home country in order to avoid this risk, please arrange for a TB examination (blood test, skin test or an x-ray) at your own time and expense and submit the results to INTERAC’s Tokyo office by either fax or e-mail. Please bring the original results with you when you come to Japan.

the reason they sent the correction email was because the first email stated something like "You are required to have either a Mantoux test or a chest x-ray before you arrive in Japan" while the correction email states that you can also be tested for it while in Japan (determined by chest x-ray), but if the results are inconclusive, your contract may be put on hold.

tairygreen
August 2nd, 2012, 08:34
I was confused by all of the TB conjecture from Interac.

So you can get either here from what I gather.

Do you need to fax/email the results to them or just bring the originals with you?

akanemukade
August 2nd, 2012, 09:00

jollyrodger
August 2nd, 2012, 10:08
I had my one done here in Canberra (X ray). It was free to do here because of our public health services. I sent the results to Interac via pdf. Are we supposed to bring the Xray as well. It's quite large. Also, I have been placed in a pretty nice little apartment which seems modern and new. The team at my branch are also helping me to order my futon and bedspread which I thought was really good of them. I'm feeling very positive about the up-coming job now and really excited to return to Japan and get into the regular schedule of work. (Luckily I've been working from 8:30 until 5pm for the Government over here so I'm used to the early mornings)

pika
August 2nd, 2012, 11:45
I had my one done here in Canberra (X ray). It was free to do here because of our public health services. I sent the results to Interac via pdf. Are we supposed to bring the Xray as well. It's quite large. Also, I have been placed in a pretty nice little apartment which seems modern and new. The team at my branch are also helping me to order my futon and bedspread which I thought was really good of them. I'm feeling very positive about the up-coming job now and really excited to return to Japan and get into the regular schedule of work. (Luckily I've been working from 8:30 until 5pm for the Government over here so I'm used to the early mornings)

I'm pretty sure you just need to bring the examination results that the doctor gives you saying you don't have TB, not the actual x-ray itself.

jollyrodger
August 2nd, 2012, 13:32
Cool. Thanks for that

pika
August 2nd, 2012, 13:53
Thought I'd share this awesome blog I found: AccessJ: Being an ALT #1: Teaching English in Japan (http://www.accessj.com/2010/12/being-alt-teaching-english-in-japan.html)

The section I specifically linked to answers a lot of questions I've had about moving to Japan and ALT work. Maybe it'll help someone else also.

kittycat
August 2nd, 2012, 21:59
I just got the skin test (mantoux) done because it was cheaper than the x-ray, I think if they're not happy for some reason they do the chest x-ray in japan (for free)

Sakurahoshi
August 23rd, 2012, 15:12
Hey guys

I'm applying for the March intake 2013 and I've hit some snags in the application form that maybe someone here knows how to deal with:

1. On the work history and the achievements section, how do you get each entry you make in date order? Every time I add a new entry, it seems to go into a random order date wise and looks a mess!

2. How many references are we supposed to submit with the app form? I can't find where it says!

3. On the work history, how many years do you have to go back?

Thanks for the help.

Junipe
August 23rd, 2012, 20:39
Hey guys

I'm applying for the March intake 2013 and I've hit some snags in the application form that maybe someone here knows how to deal with:

1. On the work history and the achievements section, how do you get each entry you make in date order? Every time I add a new entry, it seems to go into a random order date wise and looks a mess!

2. How many references are we supposed to submit with the app form? I can't find where it says!

Thanks for the help.

1 -- I seem to remember them being added to the list in the order you input them (So you'd enter the oldest items first, newest items last) but apparently that isn't happening? Sorry I can't be more help with this.

2 -- I submitted a total of two references with my application; they might accept just one, but it's probably a better idea to have two.

3 -- I think I went about 4-6 years back, which is probably all the work history that most people who are applying for this position have.

I hope this helps some, and good luck!

Laevatienn
August 25th, 2012, 08:51
Hey guys

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, can't help with your first question, that's a back end thing where the database sorts it. Usually, like Junipe said, it will sort by order you enter them in even if you don't see it in that order. A number is basically assigned to your entry and the increment automatically increases each time you add one.

Two: They need two refs to get back with them. Any less than two and they can't consider you. Yay internal rhymes. Just make sure your references know they are going to be contacted. You wouldn't believe how many people looking for jobs lists a reference without contacting them beforehand which results in a "who" remark from the reference.

Three: You decide, there is no required amount or limit. Just note that no work experience looks bad while a lot of work experience is good. Too many short jobs (i.e. worked at A for one month, B for one month, C for one month, etc.) can look bad. Large gaps can be bad as well. Don't sweat it too much but make sure you have most of your experience on there.

Good luck! Being an ALT is a fun job even if it can be hectic at times.

Sakurahoshi
August 30th, 2012, 17:09
Thanks guys. I managed to get most of it in order after redoing it all. I submitted the form on Sunday and they already invited me for a phone interview for next week! Very impressed at the speed; I think I'm too used to JET's snail pace.

So are other people here shooting for the March 2013 intake?

akanemukade
September 2nd, 2012, 11:27
Well this thread is mainly for Interac Placements for the Summer/Fall 2012 season, which is drawing to a close since most of us are already in Japan. But if you want to start a new thread about Spring 2013 intake, I'm sure you'd get more responses there.