View Full Version : Does getting pension refund neg. affect permanent residency chances later?

June 13th, 2012, 01:06
I'm leaving Japan soon to go to grad school. I've been working here for 3 years, so I can probably get a few thousand dollars through the pension refund.

I'll be returning in about a year and a half, right after school. I'll be applying for a marriage visa (we already got a visa for my wife to come to the states while I'm in school).

I'm worried that accepting the refund will look bad when I apply for a marriage visa - and permanent residency down the road.

Relevant: my visa / ARC are set to expire soon.

Is this something I should take into consideration? And how about the extra 20% that I could apply for? It seems like that's even more serious.

The money would really help with tuition, etc. - but I won't accept it if it will haunt me later.

Thank you

PS I tried searching for this, but couldn't find the answer

June 13th, 2012, 01:30
I dont know the answer, but I am assuming it wouldnt hurt at all. I mean its just an opinion so i wont say much more about it, i hate when i ask a question and no one gives me facts.

But my other question is, do you need PR status? I mean if you are married you can get your sposal visa easily when you return to japan and that pretty much covers everything you would get with PR. and once you find a job you will just start paying in the pension system again so it should be fine.

June 13th, 2012, 06:55
I did hear from someone near me that when they got their refund they inadvertently reset the time required for citizenship. I'd definitely look into it further if I were you.

June 13th, 2012, 07:46
leaving the country for an extended period of time does that too though, if OP is going to be gone for 2 or 3 years its the same whether you claim your pension or not....and citizenship nd PR are a bit different too.

June 13th, 2012, 09:37
Thanks for your replies - I want to keep investigating...not sure who to get in touch with. Maybe I'll try calling the pension services..

November 21st, 2012, 06:56
I am in a similar situation, how did this work out for you?

November 21st, 2012, 10:33
Yeah I'm definitely considering doing it as well so I can pay off a chunk of my CC, though I probably won't be returning home at any point. Depends on what the rate stays like, I guess.

November 21st, 2012, 18:08
from what i understand, you need to have lived here for 10 years to get residency, and if you get your pension money refunded you have to start the 10 years from scratch. i would check this with ini if you can get a hold of him as he seemed to know a little more about it

November 21st, 2012, 22:33
Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted (http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/guide_residence.html)
Permission for Permanent Residence (http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/eizyuu.html)