PDA

View Full Version : will your placement decide if your going?

adammoogle
May 22nd, 2004, 05:17
i'm curious, is there anyone out there that'll quit the program if you get stuck in some nasty backwater?

i'm not really bothered where i get placed...but only because i'm hopelessly ignorant about japanese geography...i'm thinking if its on some isoalted island say where your the only jet there, maybe i will decline...

thoughts, feelings, advice from up high????

May 22nd, 2004, 05:21
i wouldn't say placement is the only thing i'm considering, but it is part of my problematic and uncertain future, yes. you're not the only one out there meng.

WuTAN
May 22nd, 2004, 05:30
i'll be going regardless. I'm not too fussed about placement, though getting one of my choices would be great! even if it is some backwater, it'll be a worthwhile experience imo

Beq
May 22nd, 2004, 08:45
At the moment, I'm thinking that if I like my first year, I will try to experience all three differnt areas of Japan- Rural, semi-rural and urban. I think I'd love to do a year in each, maybe starting in the middle of nowhere somewhere, then a urban area, them semi-rural to finish off. That would be interesting. Plus, you have to remember that no-where in Japan is that far from anywhere else...not like here in Australia, where to go to the capital cities can be a whole day of travel, and to get across the country takes ages. The whole of Japan, including the outer islands, is only about 1200 klicks long. It's entirely possible that even if you were in the furtherest region, you could still do a weekend trip to Tokyo. Just make friends with the JETs who live there when you need somewhere to stay... :wink:

And remember, it's only a year! It will fly by!

Bron
May 22nd, 2004, 09:51
Yeah I'd go wherever I got placed. This is either brave or stupid! but brave sounds the better of the two...
Beq, you're right about Oz, I drove from Perth-Darwin a few yrs ago and it took 5 days, but it was a great trip.

yabighoor
May 23rd, 2004, 00:01
I really don't care where I'm placedn as long as it's in Japan. Not too keen on living in a big city though...unless it's Kyoto!!

Chiara
May 23rd, 2004, 01:53
i don't know. i REALLY dont want to be placed in some rural backwater, but then again, i REALLY dont want to stay in the UK. so i would probably go regardless of where i get placed. i think. maybe. i think.

joe
May 23rd, 2004, 02:09
The thing is, we won't really know how much of a backwater 'inaka hell' the placement is until we get there. not really for SURE anyway. i think it would be a shame not to go and regret it, when if the worst comes to the worst you can always drop out if its proper shite. my opinion might change if i find out i'm going to an underground cave village of 7 1/2 certified human beings.

morikyd
May 23rd, 2004, 02:30
I'm with you Joe. It will be an experience for sure. And if our very souls recoil in horror, if our flesh crawls each morning when we wake up and realize where we are...we can go home.
I fully intend to make it work, but I never want to be as angry and bitter as some people seem to be either. Its a year of my LIFE you know?

Canuck
May 23rd, 2004, 03:52
I'm going insane waiting for my placement, but regardless of what it is, I don't think it'll change my feelings on going to Japan. I'm a pretty low maintenance chick and it doesn't take much for me to be comfortable. Life is what you make it, eh? So unless people have it out for me and take to throwing rotten tomatoes and eggs, I plan on having the time of my life in Japan!

r_a_y
May 23rd, 2004, 06:07
i gotta agree with canuck (well other than the chick part). since i have absolutely no back up plan, i'll be going to japan no matter where i get placed. that isn't to say i wouldn't leave if it was shitty, but i've lived in some some real dives and had some terrible jobs, so it'd take a lot to make me quit a job that pays this well.

raumkatze
May 24th, 2004, 13:07
Since I already signed the reply form, accepting the postion, it would be wrong of me to back out of it if I was unsatisfied with my placement.

www.AaronAckerson.com

MarineBoy
May 24th, 2004, 17:43
My prefectural advisor contacted me today and asked what type of placement I was looking for; i.e rural, city itself, semi - rural. So at least I have some small say where I end up (maybe).

I don't care where it is as long as the rent is cheap and its not Minamata.

At the moment, I'm thinking that if I like my first year, I will try to experience all three differnt areas of Japan- Rural, semi-rural and urban. I think I'd love to do a year in each, maybe starting in the middle of nowhere somewhere, then a urban area, them semi-rural to finish off.

I was told once you have a placement that is it for your tenure in Japan - you will not be moved to another prefecture as an ALT. :(

Sinbad
May 24th, 2004, 20:48
Yes. . that's the also what I have heard on good authority. You CANNOT chance your placement on JET if you choose to recontract.

Cantdosleepflower
May 25th, 2004, 00:10
I think a rural wierdness'd be fantastic. The worst placement would be a suburban vacuum. Being stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing but breathtaking scenery and a bamboo hut would be a difficult but incredible experience.

Sinbad
May 25th, 2004, 00:54
I agree with cantdosleep..... I think the surburban slums would be the worst place for me.. being surrounded by grey concrete miles away from the city center and miles away from any countryside.

Having said that, I will still go regardless of where I am placed, cos it's still going to be a great opportunity to see Japan/Asia, make a little bling, learn a language and see an alien culture..... but I've still got my figners crossed to be placed near a decent ski resort. :wink: There's no way I'm passing this up.

Mr. Plainview
April 22nd, 2009, 09:24
As relevant today as it was then.

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 09:28
We all turning into Anon today?

Wanderlust King
April 22nd, 2009, 09:32
Wow, oldie.

Y'know, the only thing that would cause me to re-consider would be if I was in a location that REQUIRED me to get a vehicle. Part of the reason I'm heading to Japan is to get out of that automobile commute routine, and I really just don't want to deal with that there. I'm really, really banking on having access to some train tracks for weekend/holiday travel, as well.

I guess we'll see.

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 09:36
I know a way to get out of the vehicle commute routine: live closer to your place of work.

Wanderlust King
April 22nd, 2009, 09:39
I know a way to get out of the vehicle commute routine: live closer to your place of work.

Right .. well, not a possibility for me here in the US. I do Home Teaching so I'm constantly driving to kids' houses.

As for JET, I'm not sure what the procedure is yet for getting my own housing if I don't like what they have for me. If I find out that a vehicle commute is necessary, then maybe I'll come begging for answers here..

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 09:42
So your problem is not with your commute, but with your job.

I hear sometimes people go on and on about how the US should have a better train system, like Japan.

My answer: japan is not even the size of California and it has over 120,000,000 crammed in there. America has a bit over 300,000,000 in a area many times larger than Japan. What do you want? It's shikata ga nai,ne?

Spore13
April 22nd, 2009, 09:44
I can't think of a single thing that would make me not want to go. I prefer cities, but knew going in I would probably get placed in the BFI. Driving or not, rural or not, I'm good. I figure there will be really annoying things I hate everywhere, along with good points (like it is JAPAN and I am living in another country) that will get me through (not that I won't complain still). I can't imagine turning this down because the area/ conditions aren't just perfect.

That said, I think one of the worst things to do would be getting there and leaving after a month because you can't stand the environment. If something really is going to be a problem for you and you are going in thinking "I can always leave if I want," then seriously consider not going. There are plenty of alternates dying to go there and that way you aren't screwing everyone over. Transfers are practically impossible, so don't count on them (esp. withing the first year).

It is far better to back out before you get to Japan if you think you will.

Wanderlust King
April 22nd, 2009, 09:51
So your problem is not with your commute, but with your job.

I hear sometimes people go on and on about how the US should have a better train system, like Japan.

My answer: japan is not even the size of California and it has over 120,000,000 crammed in there. America has a bit over 300,000,000 in a area many times larger than Japan. What do you want? It's shikata ga nai,ne?

I don't dislike my job, I am just looking for a change of pace.

Anyway, let me help veer this thread off-course with you. What's wrong with mass transit? A cross-country train system in the United States would obviously be out of the question, but something to alleviate the work traffic in and out of major cities would be money well-spent, I think. Drive into DC during afternoon rush hour and you'll pass thousands and thousands of single-occupant cars sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Completely, utterly inefficient, don't you think?

I think the jobs created, emissions not spent, and time saved would more than justify some rail systems being put on major commute lines. Nothing on par with Japan like you're saying, but I do think we can take some more steps in that direction.

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 09:52
Well, of course individual cities can have mass transit. I mean these people who think there should be local trains everywhere, like Japan.

Wanderlust King
April 22nd, 2009, 09:53
Well, of course individual cities can have mass transit. I mean these people who think there should be local trains everywhere, like Japan.

Oh. Yeah, impossible. :^_^:

mteacher80
April 22nd, 2009, 09:55
My placement most likely would have decided if i was coming to japan, on JET anyway. My wife wanted to be close to home, since she had studied in the states for 4 years. so i used that, plus the city i went to College in was the one next to a sister city of the prefecture i had requested. i got lucky was about 20mins from her family's home and have been here since. I probably would have came over and either started my own school or looked for private jobs had jet placed me too far away.

April 22nd, 2009, 09:58
Well my fiancee is Japanese (met her while study abroad) and lives in Yamaguchi, and even if I don't end up there. The way I see it is that anywhere in Japan is a hell of a lot closer than Oklahoma.

WesleyCrusher
April 22nd, 2009, 10:02
Yamaguchi is right near me (Fukuoka)!

I got my placement info on May 27 last year, FYI

mteacher80
April 22nd, 2009, 10:03
Well my fiancee is Japanese (met her while study abroad) and lives in Yamaguchi, and even if I don't end up there. The way I see it is that anywhere in Japan is a hell of a lot closer than Oklahoma.

well thats exactly what i said in my JET interview but replaced oklahoma with kansas.

April 22nd, 2009, 10:06
Haha, yeah they really harped on the fact that must JET's don't get their request. I kept stressing that I was flexible and that I wouldn't bail.

@Meelyn
Fukuoka was my third with Kitakyuushuu being my second :)

Wanderlust King
April 22nd, 2009, 10:19
Haha, yeah they really harped on the fact that must JET's don't get their request. I kept stressing that I was flexible and that I wouldn't bail.

@Meelyn
Fukuoka was my third with Kitakyuushuu being my second :)

Beppu and Oita are both real nice in Kitakyuushuu! Beppu kinda has a post-apocalyptic cyber-punk vibe to it with all the steam shooting up from the ground in random places... Pretty wild stuff.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/jackissowhack/DSCN0511-1.jpg

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 10:21
Right .. well, not a possibility for me here in the US. I do Home Teaching so I'm constantly driving to kids' houses.

Oh, so I caught you! You made it sound like you hate commuting in general, but in reality it has more to do with your job, than of the concept of tsuukin. I always get the truth. Judge Judy taught me well.

April 22nd, 2009, 10:22
I went to Beppu for a day trip and everyone was pretty friendly..I like kokura too.

Eira
April 22nd, 2009, 10:24
I'll go wherever I'm placed, but I know I will bitch for a few days if and when I find out I'm not placed in or near my fiance's prefecture. I'm really hoping things will work out for us, but I'm not depending on it. JET is something I've wanted to do since high school, so I'm not letting placement issues make me bail out now that I'm finally in.

Wanderlust King
April 22nd, 2009, 10:25
Oh, so I caught you! You made it sound like you hate commuting in general, but in reality it has more to do with your job, than of the concept of tsuukin. I always get the truth. Judge Judy taught me well.

Your avatar does kind of bear a resemblance to what an asian Judge Judy might look like.

April 22nd, 2009, 10:26
Yeah to make it this far ,through all the app and interview bs, and just give up would be a big waste...

Langus
April 22nd, 2009, 10:53
I honestly don't care. I will be happy wherever. I kind of hope it's somewhere I've never heard of. It'll make it more interesting/adventurous.

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 11:08
I'm really hoping for hyogo, but I kind of secretly want kyushu right now, even though I didn't request it. Fukuoka sounds so fun as does Kumamoto.

Wanderlust King
April 22nd, 2009, 11:18
I'm really hoping for hyogo, but I kind of secretly want kyushu right now, even though I didn't request it. Fukuoka sounds so fun as does Kumamoto.

Yeah I'm secretly hoping for Kyushu now as well, I don't know why I didn't request it.. Kumamoto has Aso-san and Takachiho, both must-sees. :)

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 11:20
Yeah I'm secretly hoping for Kyushu now as well, I don't know why I didn't request it.. Kumamoto has Aso-san and Takachiho, both must-sees. :)

I visited Shikoku, Chugoku, Kansai, and Chubu when I studied abroad, but never got around to Kyushu. I am definitely planning a vacation there at least. Too bad I can't use a Kyushu JR pass. :p

Langus
April 22nd, 2009, 11:20
kbecker: rural Hokkaidos got your name written ALL over it.

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 11:22
kbecker: rural Hokkaidos got your name written ALL over it.

soooooo not funnny. sooo not funny. :o
But, if I do get placed there, i won't hide it. I will announce it, so everyone can enjoy.

Langus
April 22nd, 2009, 11:28
I'll be waiting. Huzzah!

twiceinalifetime
April 22nd, 2009, 11:30
Last time I pretty much got where I requested, though I was in for a shock at how old my place was. I'd love to get my top choice this time, too, partly because it's in an entirely different area from last time, but I am convinced that with the right attitude and sense of humor there are few truly bad placements and usually some advantages to most of them, too. Still, my fingers are crossed for my top picks!

Waldroon
April 22nd, 2009, 11:35
I guess my placement would matter if, for example, they told me that I'd be living and teaching inside of another man's anus.

Or that after a horrible nuclear accident I would be the only non-mutant in the entire town, a town with no bus, rail or cars and surrounded by a 20ft high electrified wall.

But beyond that, no, not really.

Mr. Plainview
April 22nd, 2009, 11:44
Wow, oldie.

Y'know, the only thing that would cause me to re-consider would be if I was in a location that REQUIRED me to get a vehicle. Part of the reason I'm heading to Japan is to get out of that automobile commute routine, and I really just don't want to deal with that there. I'm really, really banking on having access to some train tracks for weekend/holiday travel, as well.

I guess we'll see.

cross your fingers you don't replace me

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 11:45
Where will you be after your stint on JET, is done? Tokyo?

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 11:47

Yeah, I rather not have to ahve a car. Esp since old American's can only use a license for a year. But, if it's a situation in which you desperately need one, BOEs usually are pretty supportive, right?

Mr. Plainview
April 22nd, 2009, 11:48
Where will you be after your stint on JET, is done? Tokyo?

your apartment. you did offer right?

AliDimayev
Young Americans can use it for more than year?

AliDimayev
your apartment. you did offer right?
My apartment is the size of a large dorm room :(

Mr. Plainview
April 22nd, 2009, 11:49
less cleaning time!

goloons
April 22nd, 2009, 11:53
Wow, oldie.

I guess we'll see.

Necessary in many parts of Shikoku, if you have more than a few schools. Shikoku trains are shite, and some placements have as many as ten schools, some of them up to two or three hours by car from your apartment... even though your apartment is pretty centrally located between all of them.

If you're lucky, you'll end up like me: my two main schools are right next to each other, a three minute bike ride from my apartment. :D

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 11:59
Necessary in many parts of Shikoku, if you have more than a few schools. Shikoku trains are shite, and some placements have as many as ten schools, some of them up to two or three hours by car from your apartment... even though your apartment is pretty centrally located between all of them.

If you're lucky, you'll end up like me: my two main schools are right next to each other, a three minute bike ride from my apartment. :D
Usually when it's super necessary, the boe helps you figure out a way, right?

April 22nd, 2009, 12:09
I'd like to say that I would go anywhere, but the reality is that if they place me somewhere cold & wet, I'm likely to die of asthma anyway before I have the chance to complain about my placement on here.
So yeah, unfortunately my placement will decide whether I'm going ... I've requested all southern areas, and will more than likely give up my place if I'm placed in rural Hokkaido. Couldn't survive health wise. Would be truly gutted and maybe try to renegotiate some way around it but being able to breathe is placed quite high on my priority list ... same goes for any rural bfi harvest areas ...
Stressed super strongly on my application the need for warm, humid areas, close proximity to a medical centre, and no dusty, cold, wet, rural placements.
Time will tell.
I really hope we find out sooner rather than towards the end of May tho ...

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 12:12
I'd like to say that I would go anywhere, but the reality is that if they place me somewhere cold & wet, I'm likely to die of asthma anyway before I have the chance to complain about my placement on here.
So yeah, unfortunately my placement will decide whether I'm going ... I've requested all southern areas, and will more than likely give up my place if I'm placed in rural Hokkaido. Couldn't survive health wise. Would be truly gutted and maybe try to renegotiate some way around it but being able to breathe is placed quite high on my priority list ... same goes for any rural bfi harvest areas ...
Stressed super strongly on my application the need for warm, humid areas, close proximity to a medical centre, and no dusty, cold, wet, rural placements.
Time will tell.
I really hope we find out sooner rather than towards the end of May tho ...

If you have legitimate health reasons, I doubt they will place you there.

April 22nd, 2009, 12:16
If you have legitimate health reasons, I doubt they will place you there.

That's the theory I'm working with too ... *crosses fingers*

Wanderlust King
April 22nd, 2009, 12:28
"Highly allergic to Ainu."

luxaeterna
April 22nd, 2009, 12:32
Yeah, I'm not backing out for anything at this point. Wherever I am will have its ups and downs, I'm sure, but as long as there are other people there I will be happy.

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 12:35
"Highly allergic to Ainu."

Ainu culture (authentic that is) is actually really interesting!;)

WesleyCrusher
April 22nd, 2009, 12:48
You could always get Kagoshima or Miyazaki and be entirely forgotten about!

If any of you come to Tagawa (my city) in Fukuoka, the rule is you have to be cool or I'll make your life so miserable that you leave so someone cooler can take your place.

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 12:50
You could always get Kagoshima or Miyazaki and be entirely forgotten about!

If any of you come to Tagawa (my city) in Fukuoka, the rule is you have to be cool or I'll make your life so miserable that you leave so someone cooler can take your place.

What would you do?

Tarquin
April 22nd, 2009, 12:57

I would assist. I am meaner in person, believe me.
There are worse places to live than Fukuoka, but there are FAR better ones though.

Hyogo and Shiga are probably the most requested placements because people think they can cheat the system and get close to Kyoto for all the temple and shrine crap.

Powers
April 22nd, 2009, 13:07

Hehe you're funny. There isn't authentic Ainu culture anymore.

UPGRAYEDD
April 22nd, 2009, 13:08
I have real bipolar thoughts about my placement.

Today the weather is nice and the stink bugs have left the apartment building so I like it.

Wanderlust King

Indeed. I think I actually did a paper on the topic at some point during my major.. If we get placed in Hokkaido maybe we could be the first honorary Gaijin Ainu.

elleohelle
Hehe you're funny. There isn't authentic Ainu culture anymore.

My host father is part ainu and I've been exposed to some of what's barely left. A lot of people are part Ainu and don't even know. My host father's sons know, but they family decided not to tell their grandchildren about their heritage.

Scrotty
April 22nd, 2009, 13:21
so guys i was thinking of what words to add to the thread title to make it grammatically correct, settled on 'gets tough', and now i have billy ocean stuck in my head. fuck you, adammoogle!

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 13:34
so guys i was thinking of what words to add to the thread title to make it grammatically correct, settled on 'gets tough', and now i have billy ocean stuck in my head. fuck you, adammoogle!

we could start with "you're"

WesleyCrusher
April 22nd, 2009, 13:37
What would you do?

Well if someone who's not cool moves in, BritishChris and I will snark about them endlessly to all the other JETs in Chikuho, and since I'm a Blockhead this coming year (organizer of social events for JETs in my area), I'd intentionally leave uncool person OFF the mailing lists and then if they complained I'd pull a "who are you again?"

nah, probably just ignore 'em

The moral of the story: Be cool, and perhaps you can be a valuable addition to Tagawa's population of yakuza, hookers and drug dealers

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 13:40
Well if someone who's not cool moves in, BritishChris and I will snark about them endlessly to all the other JETs in Chikuho, and since I'm a Blockhead this coming year (organizer of social events for JETs in my area), I'd intentionally leave uncool person OFF the mailing lists and then if they complained I'd pull a "who are you again?"

nah, probably just ignore 'em

The moral of the story: Be cool, and perhaps you can be a valuable addition to Tagawa's population of yakuza, hookers and drug dealers

Yakuza aren't even cool. Their dress style is soo ick.

Scrotty
April 22nd, 2009, 13:41
we could start with "you're"
Ooh, can I touch you (can I touch you)
And do the things that lovers do
Ooh, wanna hold you (wanna hold you)
I gotta get it through to you, oooh

Coollead
April 22nd, 2009, 13:47
Usually when it's super necessary, the boe helps you figure out a way, right?

lol. You must not read a lot of posts.

You could be far away from all your schools, and still be refused the ability to drive a car. It's in your contract.

I take a once every 90 minutes bus ride (that takes 45 minutes) to one of my schools that costs 1100 yen round trip, and I'm not even compensated for all of it. A car or scooter would actually cost me less, (and be more convenient) but I'm not allowed to get one. Oh well. Suck it up and move on.

Remember, I'm in Osaka prefecture. It can (and does) get much much worse than my situation.

Tarquin
April 22nd, 2009, 13:52
Meelynn you're gonna be a blockhead? me too! YAY US!

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 13:58
lol. You must not read a lot of posts.

You could be far away from all your schools, and still be refused the ability to drive a car. It's in your contract.

I take a once every 90 minutes bus ride (that takes 45 minutes) to one of my schools that costs 1100 yen round trip, and I'm not even compensated for all of it. A car or scooter would actually cost me less, (and be more convenient) but I'm not allowed to get one. Oh well. Suck it up and move on.

Remember, I'm in Osaka prefecture. It can (and does) get much much worse than my situation.

that's so lame. they pay for some of it, but not all? what do you mean?

Coollead
April 22nd, 2009, 14:16
They pay for 30% of my transportation costs. In a given month of 20 school days, that's around ¥16,000 on the bus/train, and they give me a ¥5000 allowance.

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 14:20
They pay for 30% of my transportation costs. In a given month of 20 school days, that's around ¥16,000 on the bus/train, and they give me a ¥5000 allowance.

I guess it's better than nothing.

UPGRAYEDD
April 22nd, 2009, 14:27
I get about 16,000 in gas money every month. Which is awesome because I never budget it in and every middle of the month I get super excited and spend it out paryting.

Gusuke
April 22nd, 2009, 14:30
Shit, I want gas money; If I wasn't walking to school 4 days a week I would ask for it in my new contract.

WesleyCrusher
April 22nd, 2009, 14:34
Yakuza aren't even cool. Their dress style is soo ick.

With that attitude, if you move to Tagawa I'll sic them on you.

Chris, who made YOU a blockhead? ahahaha

Gusuke
April 22nd, 2009, 14:38

JESUS, how did I miss this Kbecker quote?

Yakuza are fucking awesome

WesleyCrusher
April 22nd, 2009, 14:40
They also basically own my entire town and get aggressively NANPA SURU (just to annoy you Gusuke) at HottoMotto. It's scary at the time but then I feel like even more of a badass.

Gusuke
April 22nd, 2009, 14:42
Apparently the Yakuza in Kofu run illegal casinos

I'm tempted to go to satiate my gambling urges!

ten_of_spades
April 22nd, 2009, 14:55
If you do end up in a place where you need a car (like me), they usually will let the ALT ride the schoolbus to school with the J-babies...at least mine says they do. I bought a car because I get out of the inaka on the weekends, and they pay for gas, so, yeah.

shesgotacigarette
April 22nd, 2009, 15:15
oh wow, the schoolbus!

Spore13
April 24th, 2009, 08:59
Nothing says "I'm respected" like riding the kiddie bus.

ten_of_spades
April 24th, 2009, 10:05
It's one of those big tour coaches...seems kinda nice, actually. I'll stick with my car (rolled over 100,000km the other week:^_^:) though.

fidelity
April 24th, 2009, 12:04
If you do end up in a place where you need a car (like me), they usually will let the ALT ride the schoolbus to school with the J-babies...at least mine says they do.

Gummi Bear?
They've been in my pocket. They're real soft and warm.

Tarquin
April 24th, 2009, 16:16

MH is leaving right? JC asked me because you know, having someone who can speak japanese might be useful...

Langus
April 24th, 2009, 16:30
JESUS, how did I miss this Kbecker quote?

Yakuza are fucking awesome

Definitely :D I hope I meet one (or a few). Perhaps I can use my sexual wiles to convince them to take out certain people I find excessively annoying hahaha Oh if only that were the way (oh wait, it is!) :036:

El-ahrairah
April 25th, 2009, 14:50

it's a good place to find a date, too

WesleyCrusher
April 26th, 2009, 11:17
MH is leaving right? JC asked me because you know, having someone who can speak japanese might be useful...

I don't know who MH is, but I'm replacing Wizard Bob

WesleyCrusher
April 26th, 2009, 11:18
Definitely :D I hope I meet one (or a few). Perhaps I can use my sexual wiles to convince them to take out certain people I find excessively annoying hahaha Oh if only that were the way (oh wait, it is!) :036:

Most of them are middle aged with families and are really really really into being Japanese. I've gotten shit from them for waiting for food at a takeout restaurant with a white guy

Neb
April 26th, 2009, 11:21
How'd the white guy you were with react to this?

WesleyCrusher
April 26th, 2009, 12:44
He wasn't worried, he'd just come from karate so he had nunchucks in his bag. I'm gonna miss him when he goes back to Australia in...2 weeks :(

Tarquin
April 26th, 2009, 14:08
I don't know who MH is, but I'm replacing Wizard Bob

Mr Matt.

I met a few Yakuza in osaka once, I was doing this thing on the representation of Yakuza in film, they were quite helpful. They had all their fingers though :(

houk
April 26th, 2009, 15:51
He wasn't worried, he'd just come from karate so he had nunchucks in his bag. I'm gonna miss him when he goes back to Australia in...2 weeks :(
karate and nunchucks tucked away in a bag huh? yup, sounds like he was definitely prepared for a street fight

was his name daniel-san by any chance?

Neb
April 26th, 2009, 16:06
haha, I wish i was as cool as this karate nunchuck-wielding white guy...

Langus
April 26th, 2009, 16:29
Sorta like Napoleon Dynamite eh? He had mad nun chuk skillz too.

Komadori
April 27th, 2009, 00:03

Gummi Bear?
They've been in my pocket. They're real soft and warm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZmSY4mgDfQ One of the best scenes ever. XD

/embed fail. ;o;

trinidadsky
April 27th, 2009, 10:19
Ooh, can I touch you (can I touch you)
And do the things that lovers do
Ooh, wanna hold you (wanna hold you)
I gotta get it through to you, oooh

oooooh
I am SO proud to be from the country that birthed such a lyrical genius

Scrotty
April 27th, 2009, 11:26