PDA

View Full Version : Keitai/Internet Pro Tip

jakegio
July 3rd, 2012, 14:25
Hey noobs,
I've recently discovered that on capable Android handsets, Au offers free tethering with their unlimited data plan. (no, i dont work for them.) If you want to get internet fast and cheap, this might be worth considering before you select a keitai company.

My bill usually comes to about 6000円/month not including the price of the phone which I bought outright instead of making payments on it for 2 years.

I'm fairly certain Docomo makes you pay 2500円/month for tethering. I don't know about Softbank, but I've been told they make you pay as well.

Tyr
July 4th, 2012, 08:34
You can get the internet through tethering certainly.
Cheap...Japanese phone bills are outrageous. Though I guess you have no choice but to have a phone anyway (though I do know one guy who doesn't....).
Fast....no way. Its sub-56k speeds.

Eudox
July 4th, 2012, 08:52
Cheap...Japanese phone bills are outrageous.

Where are you from and what do they charge for an unlimited net plan?

coop52
July 4th, 2012, 09:02
Tethering is probably a good idea until you get real internet, but I wouldn't rely on it all the time. It's pretty slow. Internet here isn't even that expensive anyway. I pay 3500ish a month for Asahi-net Hikari. I paid a bit more for regular Yahoo!BB DSL at my old house, but not that much more. You make decent money as a JET; you can afford to get real internet I promise.

MJN
July 4th, 2012, 09:35
I pay around 4500 a month for internet (100mbit, unlimited) and 7700 a month for my phone. 4900 of that is my unlimited internet fee (4G!), but doesn't include tethering (docomo). There are other completely legal non-root ways to do that.

jakegio
July 4th, 2012, 14:52
I agree it isn't the fastest. Au uses WiMax which sux. But some people don't care if it's fast. It is fast enough to do Skype, web surfing, etc at least where I live.

Another issue is that in my experience, after 4 years in japan, it sometimes takes a F'ing age to get internet installed in your house. Mine was only about 3 weeks from the time I requested Flets Hikari through Asahinet, but some people wait much longer. Megaegg in particular is notorious for taking 2 to 3 months to install internet. I still remember my first 3 weeks in japan with no internet, 4 years ago. It was that bad. Tethering would have tided me over nicely during that time.

Furthermore, it's nice to have unfettered internet at schools, without all the silly filtering software that doesnt allow you to access google images among other things. I wouldnt be able to make a lot of lessons without it.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. If you are picking out a new phone for the first time in Japan, it's something to consider that you might not otherwise hear about. I hope it helps somebody.

jakegio
July 4th, 2012, 14:56
You can get the internet through tethering certainly.
Cheap...Japanese phone bills are outrageous. Though I guess you have no choice but to have a phone anyway (though I do know one guy who doesn't....).
Fast....no way. Its sub-56k speeds.

sorry, i didnt mean fast speedwise, i meant to get it quickly. also, for me, it only costs about an extra 1000 yen/month over my previous keitai for unlimited mobile internet. that seems cheap to me. my apartment internet is 6200円/month.

TheDoctor
August 17th, 2012, 10:24
I`m using a jailbroken iphone on softbank and tether with pdanet. I also use strongvpn so I can use pandora and other streaming media.

Merkypie
August 18th, 2012, 10:03
I have AU, since I wanted internet the moment I arrived and Softbank in my area was being dicks to foreigners without the card. The tethering is great if you're not trying to watch videos or anything like that. It does what I need it to do at work since we ALTs got our internet taken away at the boe.

Of course, real internet is far more better but for what it's worth, I don't mind AU and WiMax is decent in big cities like Osaka and Kanazawa. Though, it'd be a cold day in hell if I got more than two bars.

The only thing that sucks is that the battery life on the Galaxy SII is shit and its loaded with all of AU's bloatware.

TheDoctor
August 20th, 2012, 14:44
lol. root that shit boo boo. The internet at my school is fine, its the centuries old Toshiba Satellite J50 that hinders me.

Gizmotech
August 21st, 2012, 14:31
<-- Used a jailbroken iphone for 3 months for internet. Regularly use it now for my iPad data as well. No problems, no charges. Slow as piss. Thank you softwank.

CUPS
August 24th, 2012, 15:43
Where are you from and what do they charge for an unlimited net plan?

Pretty sure Tyr is from the UK like me, where unlimited data plans are the equivalent of 4,000¥ per month to a new customer, though with renewing every year I got mine down to £20 per month (2,500¥) thanks to a loyalty bonus. That's with free phone upgrades, unlimited texts and 600 mins calltime.

Ini
August 24th, 2012, 16:54
Also where "unlimited" is capped under "fair use" terms and the speeds are painfully slow.