PDA

View Full Version : Interac Tokyo - NT system?

Luniar123
July 9th, 2012, 20:31
I was wondering if anyone knew about the NT (Native Teacher) system they have in some places in Tokyo. The pay is a bit higher than normal positions, but you are basically teaching and preparing solo (the Japanese teacher is in the room, though). It's not like the usual ALT gig.

If anyone is doing it/has done it, what do you think?

Ini
July 9th, 2012, 20:32
the pay is higher because of the higher cost of living in tokyo is it not?

Luniar123
July 9th, 2012, 20:52
No, the pay is a couple man higher than the other Tokyo positions. (Feel free to PM, by the way.)

K-On!
July 12th, 2012, 12:31
I'm a Tokyo ALT for Interac so I can answer all your questions! :020:

The NT system you're talking is just the contract details, which is where you do everything solo and the other teacher just watches you since they can't interact.:066: All planning is 100% on you since you're not allowed to talk to them about anything classroom-related. It's due to law. Almost every single contract is for this and it's what I do! :kaos_chirol_suzu:

The other system is Hakken which is pretty rare and I've never experienced it, it's team-teaching which I think is the same as JET. :kaos_kms_m-hate: I have a friend in Tachikawa and he's Hakken, but that's the only BOE that I know which uses it. :kaos_cactus_nn:

If you want to teach in Tokyo branch you should expect a NT situation! :kaos_chirol_waku1:

Pay is the exact same regardless of contract, 23man/month+transportation. It's possible to get pay raises if you recontract but they're not very high.:kaos_cactus_tara: Older teachers get a bonus for finishing the year but new contracts don't offer this anymore.:kaos_cactus_panchi: The only way to get a higher base pay is to be a head teacher for the area. I've heard that a couple of BOEs pay more but I think that's really rare. I think that Shinjuku is higher but that may have changed. :kaos_chirol_boo:

If you want to teach for Tokyo branch, I can give you a referral and you'd be guaranteed to get in. We'd also both get some extra money, which is always nice! :kaos_cactus_kanpai:

Laevatienn
July 13th, 2012, 05:22
I'm a Tokyo ALT for Interac so I can answer all your questions! :020:

The NT system you're talking is just the contract details, which is where you do everything solo and the other teacher just watches you since they can't interact.:066: All planning is 100% on you since you're not allowed to talk to them about anything classroom-related. It's due to law. Almost every single contract is for this and it's what I do! :kaos_chirol_suzu:

The other system is Hakken which is pretty rare and I've never experienced it, it's team-teaching which I think is the same as JET. :kaos_kms_m-hate: I have a friend in Tachikawa and he's Hakken, but that's the only BOE that I know which uses it. :kaos_cactus_nn:

If you want to teach in Tokyo branch you should expect a NT situation! :kaos_chirol_waku1:

Pay is the exact same regardless of contract, 23man/month+transportation. It's possible to get pay raises if you recontract but they're not very high.:kaos_cactus_tara: Older teachers get a bonus for finishing the year but new contracts don't offer this anymore.:kaos_cactus_panchi: The only way to get a higher base pay is to be a head teacher for the area. I've heard that a couple of BOEs pay more but I think that's really rare. I think that Shinjuku is higher but that may have changed. :kaos_chirol_boo:

If you want to teach for Tokyo branch, I can give you a referral and you'd be guaranteed to get in. We'd also both get some extra money, which is always nice! :kaos_cactus_kanpai:

Technically your thinking of Gyomu Itaku versus Haken not ALT versus NT. Also technically there isn't much difference between a Gyomu Itaku ALT position and an NT position. An NT just has a bit more freedom to plan lessons which also means the teacher has to be a bit more proficient at teaching than a normal ALT who usually has to teach from Eigo Note or the other textbooks. As an NT you are more accountable than an ALT hence the slightly higher pay. If you mess up then... well let's just say I don't feel sorry for but I will give you one clap at a nearby shrine :cool:.

K-On!
July 13th, 2012, 08:45
Yeah, GI system! I don't know of any other contracts other than GI and Hakken in Tokyo! :confused: There's also a business department where you teach companies and that's 100% on you and has a higher pay but it's very different and I don't have experience with it. :redface: Maybe the highschools use something different but there are so few positions so it's not worth considering! :o Maybe people are getting NT confused with GI since I know a lot of other Tokyo Interac ALTs and we all have the same positions except for my Tachikawa friend. :081:

Laevatienn
July 17th, 2012, 05:14
Yeah, GI system! I don't know of any other contracts other than GI and Hakken in Tokyo! :confused: There's also a business department where you teach companies and that's 100% on you and has a higher pay but it's very different and I don't have experience with it. :redface: Maybe the highschools use something different but there are so few positions so it's not worth considering! :o Maybe people are getting NT confused with GI since I know a lot of other Tokyo Interac ALTs and we all have the same positions except for my Tachikawa friend. :081:
NT really isn't a contract type like GI or Haken but more a different job description for nearly the same thing which can cause a lot of confusion. It's like calling an ALT a Native Teacher of English. Think of it as just a title with a little but more added onto the teacher's responsibilities. The NT positions are limited and one doesn't normally get hired for an NT position unless you inquire about it or see it on the website. Even then, the positions are few and far between so I don't find it surprising not many people know about NTs. ALTs, NTs, NTEs, ELTs... too many acronyms for nearly the same thing...