PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here finished Heisig?

Gizmotech
July 10th, 2012, 14:23
Heisig.

I'm doin it.

Ini
July 10th, 2012, 14:31
for all the criticism it gets in terms of being able to take an educated guess at what something means after only 2 months of studying you cant go far wrong with it. Makes figuring out what all the chicken scratch on the 2000 memos you get given daily are going on about a lot easier.

coop52
July 10th, 2012, 14:37
If it works for you, great. For me, it was just easier to memorize things rather than make up stories.

Ini
July 10th, 2012, 14:44
i found it good because i could fire through 10-30 new kanji a day which is something I could never do using the time tested japper system

Antonath
July 10th, 2012, 15:01
I tried it when I arrived. It was ok at first, but I found the "stories" for the more complicated kanji were getting harder to remember than the kanji itself. The easier stuff has still stuck with me almost three years later, though.

Gizmotech
July 10th, 2012, 15:07
Ya... Not sure I'm doing it right, but I'm not making up these super detailed stories. Just simple ones with the keyword meaning in them with a description of the kanji components. (I'm not much of a mental picture person and this was the suggestion a friend of mine gave me who is very similar to me.)

If the thing works, then I'll be happy. If it doesn't, well I won't have really wasted any major time all things considered. I mean summer holidays are coming and all and what else am I gonna have to do at work after I'm done planning for the immediate future in class.

coop52
July 10th, 2012, 15:20
Don't worry about doing it "right", just do whatever works for you.

Jiggit
July 10th, 2012, 16:45
Heisig is cool, I got through the first thousand pretty quick and it definitely helps being able to understand stuff even if you can't really use it too much otherwise. It really does bog you down around 1500 though cause the stories get pretty damn impossible to make let alone remember.

I'd say if you can do it quickly then go for it but you shouldn't take the time if it's bogging you down. I've already spent way too much time on it.

word
July 10th, 2012, 19:38
Don't worry about doing it "right", just do whatever works for you.
word

MJN
July 11th, 2012, 13:47
I'd vouch for Heisig's system no end. It's the reason I can read a lot of Kanji compared to the rest of my Japanese ability.

Gizmotech
July 11th, 2012, 14:31
Ya, it's kinda fun making the cards in my anki deck. Good to know/understand yet another random application, and hopefully I get some awesome kanji knowledge out of it.

That being said, the biggest reason is I want to bad ass my JLPT 1 and Kanken pre2/2 in two years. If I don't have a lofty goal, I'll never work towards anything.

Gizmotech
July 11th, 2012, 14:37
A year in and you're just now looking at Heisig? Good luck with kanken; my friend who's functionally fluent, passed JLPT N1 and has studied Japanese since junior high just passed the 4.

Thanks! I'm being helped by a friend of mine who has his pre-1 after 3 years of study and barely did Japanese study in Uni. Now he might just be stupidly smart, but I like to think that it can be done w/ the right amount of effort.

As for the year in... I didn't know if I was planning to be here a long time or not and didn't feel like working towards Japanese Proficiency (beyond what I could already do when I got here) until I knew there was a long term gain.

jwkelley
July 12th, 2012, 00:15
I asked the local JLPT1 one guy his secret, he just said he liked to read a lot and carried a book around with him. I bought some graded readers and am doing that, a lot less painful then other crap I have done.

therealwindycity
July 17th, 2012, 15:59
Thanks! I'm being helped by a friend of mine who has his pre-1 after 3 years of study and barely did Japanese study in Uni. Now he might just be stupidly smart, but I like to think that it can be done w/ the right amount of effort.

As for the year in... I didn't know if I was planning to be here a long time or not and didn't feel like working towards Japanese Proficiency (beyond what I could already do when I got here) until I knew there was a long term gain.

Just bear in mind that the JLPT and kanken assess pretty different skill sets. JLPT is focused much more on overall comprehension and functional ability, while kanken is extremely literary. I suppose it would be unusual to meet someone who could pass kanken pre-1 and not JLPT N1, but the reverse is definitely not true. (Not that studying for kanken isn't a good goal, but I wouldn't get hung up on it either; it would be a tough test even for native speakers)

Prospective
July 20th, 2012, 10:04
Basically, if the stories stick they are doing their job. If the stories aren't sticking add complexity or ridiculousness. Stories with humour, sexual innuendo, etc are the ones I struggle the least with.

Also, since you're not new to Japanese and probably know a lot of kanji already I'd have flexibility built in for recognition (not sure if you're doing it traditional or lazy kanji style (http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/lazy-kanji-cards-a-new-srs-card-format)). But if it's "crimson" and you say "red" you got that mo'fo right.

I'm definitely a fan of lazy kanji. It is a helluva lot faster and even though you're not being tested on writing from scratch immediately you still develop that skill over time. Just make sure you DO write the characters, though. You still want to develop muscle memory for them.

Jiggit
July 20th, 2012, 10:30
Basically, if the stories stick they are doing their job. If the stories aren't sticking add complexity or ridiculousness. Stories with humour, sexual innuendo, etc are the ones I struggle the least with.

Strange for me I find the opposite is true. Eventually you end up with so many similarly grotty sexual stories that they just blur into one. Trying to make the stories as different from each other as possible is especially important as you get further into it.

Gizmotech
July 20th, 2012, 10:37

Also, since you're not new to Japanese and probably know a lot of kanji already I'd have flexibility built in for recognition (not sure if you're doing it traditional or lazy kanji style (http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/lazy-kanji-cards-a-new-srs-card-format)). But if it's "crimson" and you say "red" you got that mo'fo right.

I'm definitely a fan of lazy kanji. It is a helluva lot faster and even though you're not being tested on writing from scratch immediately you still develop that skill over time. Just make sure you DO write the characters, though. You still want to develop muscle memory for them.

Ya, I read that link a while ago. As I'm trying to practice writing more than specific reading right now I'm doing it "closer" to traditional Heisig book stuff. That being said, when I start building vocab decks that's when I will start making lazy cards.

I'm just not that good with information overload like that for long term memory so I have to work in steps. (Thank god I realize I'm a terrible learner all things considered and I've got ways to fix the problem)

Gizmotech
July 20th, 2012, 13:07
Ahh, I really do have to pick up my pace though... I keep slacking off on busy days on learning new cards. 100 down, 2100 to go.

*Kicks self in ass*

Prospective
July 20th, 2012, 21:53
I think it's important to always do new cards, especially if you're already familiar with a lot of them. I'd skip reviews in anki in deference to new cards if you're having slack days.

I think too often time on anki can be spent reviewing stuff you know, when it'd be more productive to just get SOME exposure to new stuff. Anki presupposes that you are a paragon of study capable of doing reps every day. We're not all like that, some of us need time to fap.

sunsunsun
July 28th, 2012, 14:37
Ahh, I really do have to pick up my pace though... I keep slacking off on busy days on learning new cards. 100 down, 2100 to go.

*Kicks self in ass*

That's fine as long as you do your reviews for the day and add some new cards.

Make it a habit and soon enough, you'll finish Heisig. (Though I never did but that's 'cos I was too focused on architecture school, haha).

carolgreen186
August 10th, 2012, 09:31
How did it work for you?

Not sure whether or not I should do it, but I'm thinking of applying brute force.

Gizmotech
August 20th, 2012, 12:36
You know it's kind of a random thing, but the further I get into the book (337 and counting!) the more fun it gets. I suspect it's actually not fun and my brain is just telling me it is so I don't stop, but doing the reviews and actually getting large chunks of them right is pretty cool.

aayl1
August 23rd, 2012, 13:26
Here's a question - how do you get Anki on iPhone to start showing leeches again? I don't really want to have gaps in my Kanji knowledge, see.

Gizmotech
August 23rd, 2012, 13:29
Dunno. I'm using the beta website and 2.0 beta right now. I haven't hit leaches yet (still at only 500 kanji in my database). I would imagine you'd need to use the desktop app to reset leeches.

aayl1
August 23rd, 2012, 13:48
Which is tricky when you've jailbroken your iPhone, illegally acquired the app and need WiFi to send things to it from your computer. Nevermind.

Gizmotech
August 23rd, 2012, 13:51
Wow. That's a complicated way to do things. Why not just use the desktop app in beta, uploaded to the website, and use the beta website for review. Almost as fast as the app, then no more stupid sending media files to a busted application.

aayl1
August 23rd, 2012, 14:09
Well I was using it in the UK, where that's not really feasible to do over 3G. And now I'm in Japan I have to wait another 2 weeks or so for an internet and phone, because Japan, etc.

agrilledfish
August 23rd, 2012, 18:07
If you remember which cards they are you should be hit the gears, search for it, and then choose suspend in the actions menu. Searching for tag:suspended might work, I don't have an iPhone handy to try

MJN
August 27th, 2012, 10:39

*Kicks self in ass*

Yea I forgot about Anki for a while (read: lazy) and now I have about 1700 cards queued to burn through.

Gizmotech
August 27th, 2012, 10:44
I love my Monday's where I have over 300 reviews/day to do as I don't anki on weekends.

Gizmotech
August 28th, 2012, 11:43
HA. Now I feel like I accomplished something.... started lesson 20 in v6, 548kanji in, and I "feel" like I know things... Do I know things? nah... but I FEEL like it.

Jiggit
August 30th, 2012, 18:25
Added like 150 kanji in a week and was pretty pleased with myself.

Did reps today and I have 100 failed QQ

Gizmotech
August 30th, 2012, 18:26
woah. That's rough man.

Gizmotech
September 12th, 2012, 11:03
Okay, I've been slacking for a week (too much stuff to do w/ speech contest and crap) and now my review count is horrid. FML, now I know why they say that keeping up is important.

Jiggit
September 12th, 2012, 13:41
Yeah it sucks. One thing you can do is to go through and click yes to all of them. Kind of like a reset. But don't do it unless you find it's impossible to get back on top of it.

Maninguenice
September 25th, 2012, 20:08
I should be finished in a few weeks, I'm at about 1500 kanji and still going strong, so I'd definitely recommend it. I'm still a Japanese beginner, but before Heisig I was struggling through the 15ish kanji per week per chapter of Genki, with very poor retention. At that rate, I figured it would take years to get through the common use set! Now six months later I'm almost done. Heisig was a game changer, but it's not quite the silver bullet he makes it sound like in the introduction. First, it's only meanings, and has no readings or example words, so it's just the first half of the battle (although I think it's by far the hardest half). Second, I think you really need to make your own very rigorous randomized self-testing the main part of your kanji studying routine, rather than occasionally running through flashcards as he recommends. 最後に, they aren't at all ordered by frequency so it's not really worth it unless you're planning to go all the way and finish the book (I learned gall bladder in the first chapter, and just got to 食 and 飲 in chapter 39...) Check out quizlet.com and search for "Heisig chapter x" for pre-made flashcard sets and games, as well as Reviewing the Kanji (http://kanji.koohii.com/) for crowd sourced help coming up with the stories. Good luck!

Jiggit
September 26th, 2012, 08:34
I should be finished in a few weeks, I'm at about 1500 kanji and still going strong, so I'd definitely recommend it. I'm still a Japanese beginner, but before Heisig I was struggling through the 15ish kanji per week per chapter of Genki, with very poor retention. At that rate, I figured it would take years to get through the common use set! Now six months later I'm almost done. Heisig was a game changer, but it's not quite the silver bullet he makes it sound like in the introduction. First, it's only meanings, and has no readings or example words, so it's just the first half of the battle (although I think it's by far the hardest half). Second, I think you really need to make your own very rigorous randomized self-testing the main part of your kanji studying routine, rather than occasionally running through flashcards as he recommends. 最後に, they aren't at all ordered by frequency so it's not really worth it unless you're planning to go all the way and finish the book (I learned gall bladder in the first chapter, and just got to 食 and 飲 in chapter 39...) Check out quizlet.com and search for "Heisig chapter x" for pre-made flashcard sets and games, as well as Reviewing the Kanji (http://kanji.koohii.com/) for crowd sourced help coming up with the stories. Good luck!

I agree, it's something which you need to commit to finishing and get it done as quickly as possible. Because you need to do all of it or you'll miss some really basic kanji but if you spend too long on it you'll just get annoyed that you're not learning actual useable Japanese very quickly or effectively. Ideally finish Heisig before you get here I would say. I got about 2/3rds done before I came then left it for months and have only just now got back up to around 1700. I'm just doing it as a side to other studies now and trying to not make it too time-consuming. It does come in more handy than you'd think though.

Oh and yeah everyone should use a SRS system for everything, especially Heisig. I can't imagine how it'd work without it. Anki is probably the best. Or there's the kanji.koohii site.

Ini
September 26th, 2012, 08:48
Anyone here finished Heisig? | Japanese | Memrise (http://www.memrise.com/thread/838638/)

strike 3! ban ban ban

Jiggit
September 26th, 2012, 09:59
It seems like all of its posts were just copied from elsewhere. Is it some kind of bot? I don't understand what the purpose of this was...

Seimore
September 26th, 2012, 10:54
Not sure either but it gave me as a new learner of Japanese a new method to use, combining it with Anki seems like a great idea too! Thank you anonymous bot for bringing forward something useful and thanks Jiggit for the Anki suggestion! :D

Jiggit
September 26th, 2012, 11:03
Not sure either but it gave me as a new learner of Japanese a new method to use, combining it with Anki seems like a great idea too! Thank you anonymous bot for bringing forward something useful and thanks Jiggit for the Anki suggestion! :D

Anki is a better program by far but the simplest and easiest is Reviewing the Kanji (http://kanji.koohii.com)

Basically it has the kanji and user stories so is super easy. But anki is more flexible and customisable.

Also use Anki or another SRS flashcard program for everything to do with language learning. Words, sentences, whatever, make a flashcard and shove it in there.

Seimore
September 26th, 2012, 11:08
Sounds great, I'm setting up ANKI for my phone since I have long travel times to and from work currently. Hoping to power in as much Japanese study as I can between now and when I get there.

Wish I took a semester of study before graduation, but I've got buckloads of free time so as long as I can keep committed to 1-2 hours a day I'm sure I'll pick some of it up. I'll just continue lurking through the threads in here and picking up some study tips and good learning programs.

Jiggit
September 26th, 2012, 11:22
http://www.ithinkimlost.com/japanese-study/18232-cuz.html is the Heisig thread that has a very unhelpful title.

patjs - After Jet

Maninguenice
October 3rd, 2012, 17:33
Anyone else find themselves learning the occasional new English word from Heisig? Today's gem... "silage". And of course there are all those tree species...

Gizmotech
October 3rd, 2012, 20:22
All the time. Like wtf is a brocade?

therealwindycity
October 3rd, 2012, 21:52
wtf is a brocade?

If I hadn't already known you were straight I would now.

coop52
October 4th, 2012, 06:14
Not from Heisig, but my most WTF kanji moment is from learning 玲 "sound of jewels". Jewels make a sound?

Seimore
October 9th, 2012, 13:07
I'm a little confused here. I picked up the Heisig books from my uni library and it seems like a decent method to remembering the visual look of kanji to associate it to a word in English but not really the Japanese meanings and how the kanji works... Is this really a good method for someone like me who is beginning to get into Kanji? Will I regret having these associations made?

Not sure if I explained that correctly at all..

coop52
October 9th, 2012, 13:14
You've hit one of the major weaknesses of Heisig right on the head. It's pretty helpful for learning how to write kanji and how to differentiate them, but it doesn't really teach you how to read it. It doesn't really hurt to go through Heisig and learn readings from other sources though. Experiment with some different methods until you find something that works.

Gizmotech
October 9th, 2012, 13:17
Think of kanji as an alphabet with 2200+ characters in it. It might not be immediately useful, but the speed at which you can learn Japanese afterwords is amazing, and your general understanding goes wy up

therealwindycity
October 10th, 2012, 09:11
I'm a little confused here. I picked up the Heisig books from my uni library and it seems like a decent method to remembering the visual look of kanji to associate it to a word in English but not really the Japanese meanings and how the kanji works... Is this really a good method for someone like me who is beginning to get into Kanji? Will I regret having these associations made?

Not sure if I explained that correctly at all..

As RL mentioned earlier, Heisig only really starts to become helpful after you've put in a lot of study hours. It is easier to learn a Japanese word when you already know how to write and generally understand the meaning of the characters involved, and it also helps you guess at the meaning of a lot of words you don't know, but it won't start coming together until you've been studying for a while. Just remember to combine Heisig with other types of study, because by itself it won't be very useful at first. I definitely don't think you'll regret learning the characters, but some of them are pretty high level and if you're just getting started you might want to learn some basic kanji regardless of where they appear in Heisig.

Gizmotech
October 10th, 2012, 09:32
I suppose that's a pretty valid way to look at it, which made me realize something very important about Heisig.

It's not part of the path for people who are "learning" Japanese for the sake of being on JET or something... it's for people who are trying to learn Japanese for some type of long term gain. IE they will be in Japan for a very long time and they expect to need high-school level Japanese ability (and this is the first step to that really) for whatever they are doing.

Seimore
October 10th, 2012, 10:09
Thanks for the advice, I'll stick with it if that's what more experienced minds think! I definitely don't just want to learn Japanese for JET. I strive to learn languages for common day use, especially because in Sydney I've found my Korean helps tourists occasionally and is fun to communicate with and the basic Japanese is great to use too!

I am having thoughts on a long term career but that's very off topic for this subject, my next question on topic would be that if Heisig doesn't teach the On and Kun reading, what is a good method for learning this in combination with Heisig?

Gizmotech
October 10th, 2012, 12:52
I think you need to look more closely at what the heisig method is trying to teach you, how it works with learning/memory, and why he puts out a second book you do AFTER you are finished the first to learn on/kun readings, which most people say is a colossal waste of time.

Seimore
October 10th, 2012, 14:51
Well fair enough, only just started it so I haven't gone too far in! I plead ignorance as to where the book is going and just had a little bit of trepidation investing study time into something I wasn't sure was giving what I needed! Sounds great once people explained it better and I'll stick with that for my Kanji needs!

Gizmotech
October 19th, 2012, 11:22
Update for anyone who cares:
Anki mobile 2.0 for the iOS is now available, and seems to work very well. No syncing problems, no random crap to deal with. Just use your ankiweb account and go.

On a personal note, I actually like the iOS version look and feel a bit more than the desktop client to be honest.

Gizmotech
November 7th, 2012, 16:52
I like talking to myself a lot. SOOO

Finally caught back up on my Heisig reviews, and will have to start adding Kanji again on Friday. It's been a long time but it's time to break the 700 mark and aim for 1k.

I find hitting the KORE deck at the same time is helping some of the kanji stick in my head better. It's an odd thing really, but it seems to work.

therealwindycity
November 8th, 2012, 15:00
I've been so behind in my Heisig reviews since I started making cards from kanken study books as well. I want to get back into it, but I've probably forgotten a good two or three hundred by now ... damn.

Maninguenice
November 15th, 2012, 20:20
On frame 1977 of 2042 (using the older 4th edition) ... so close I can taste it!

Edit: やった!Oh sign of the snake, you just became my favorite kanji. Damn that was a long seven months. Now, on to bigger and better things... namely lots and lots of anki reviews. And by bigger and better of course I mean tedious and time consuming. I'm feeling an odd mixture of elation for reaching a milestone I've been looking forward to for so long, and trepidation as I think about all those readings and compound words yet to learn before I can actually begin to use these damn shapes in my head.

Gizmotech
March 17th, 2013, 13:28
Haza! Almost 3/4 done. 1500 in the anki deck, 700 left to go.

Then I can pretend I actually know something, but still be just as useless at Japanese as I already am. Looks like I'm on pace to finish in about 2 more months (at my slow to glacial speed).

jwkelley
March 18th, 2013, 13:46
Haza! Almost 3/4 done. 1500 in the anki deck, 700 left to go.

Then I can pretend I actually know something, but still be just as useless at Japanese as I already am. Looks like I'm on pace to finish in about 2 more months (at my slow to glacial speed).

Does that include meaning and reading?

therealwindycity
March 18th, 2013, 13:47
slow to glacial speed

That's the best way to do it. Remember, you're committing yourself to consistent reviews basically for the next several years, and anki can be cruel if you get behind.

Gizmotech
March 18th, 2013, 13:57
Does that include meaning and reading?

Not in any way you're thinking of no. Go hit up Remembering the Kanji and Remembering the Hanzi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembering_the_Kanji) to get a vague idea of what I'm doing.

That's the best way to do it. Remember, you're committing yourself to consistent reviews basically for the next several years, and anki can be cruel if you get behind.

Oddly enough I'm not worried about that. Stage two is massive vocab expansion, which I'll just do along the same lines. IE, grab a heisig kanji, look up it's practical words/sentences, make a few notes, keep doing that till I'm out of kanji (while suspending the kanji in the heisig review deck after it's been vocab'd). I should be able to stop the heisig reviews completely in about 4-8 months or so by actually reviewing vocab instead.

Maninguenice
May 8th, 2013, 22:42
Anyone here checked out wanikani in any depth? I've been keeping on top of my RTK deck in anki religiously but I still feel like whenever a long buried kanji pops up chances are I've forgotten it. I think the fact that these arbitrary key words are just floating around in my head unattached to vocab and pronunciation is a big part of the problem, and to that end the wanikani system seems like it might be an improvement. However, I'm concerned about the switchover, whether learning some new radical names will shake up the RTK paradigm I've already learned. Having invested untold hours into building that up, it'd be a real shame to weaken it. Anyone made the jump successfully? Im also working through core 2k on the side, so I am tethering some kanji with vocab building, slowly but surely.

Gizmotech
May 9th, 2013, 05:18
I suppose it all depends how far into RTK you are? Are you sitting near the half way point, 1100 kanji down, and have a good rhythm and end game ready, while just waiting to get there? or are you sitting in the first 1/4 and figuring it out.

Based on everything I've read, wanikani seems like a pretty decent system but highly inflexible/customizable (ie no custom mnemonics, rigid spelling tests) but does provide a more integrated learning experience which RTK frankly doesn't provide. More importantly to a "switch over", is they have very different names for all the radicals, which would make it basically a total relearning process.

Maninguenice
May 9th, 2013, 08:57
I'm done with Heisig. But that's kind of the problem. At this point the majority of my cards are in the 6+ month interval zone, and I'm forgetting them. Anki serves up 50 to 60 a day, but they're all ones I've missed recently. I mean that's great, but whenever a long buried key word pops up I'm maybe only 60% likely to be able to correctly draw the character.

But if most of the radicals do have such different names, then that's game over wanikani. I'll be much better off tinkering around with the anki interval settings.

Gizmotech
May 9th, 2013, 09:12
I'm done with Heisig. But that's kind of the problem. At this point the majority of my cards are in the 6+ month interval zone, and I'm forgetting them. Anki serves up 50 to 60 a day, but they're all ones I've missed recently. I mean that's great, but whenever a long buried key word pops up I'm maybe only 60% likely to be able to correctly draw the character.

But if most of the radicals do have such different names, then that's game over wanikani. I'll be much better off tinkering around with the anki interval settings.

Why haven't you rebuilt your heisig deck with vocabulary at this point? A Heisig deck should be reinforced/replaced with vocab learning once you're done with it.

Maninguenice
May 9th, 2013, 09:47
My thought was to use core 2k to that end, reasoning that the 2000 most frequent words would use almost all of the common use kanji from RTK.

Gizmotech
May 9th, 2013, 10:17
Right, but those 2000 common words have EXTENSIVE overlap of Kanji, meaning you're only really being exposed to probably 1/3 of a heisig deck at best.

That's one reason why wanikani is an interesting project, as once you "unlock" certain kanji levels it starts introducing word compounds that use those kanji you've both previously studied and have just unlocked.

Also, there are a few Jyouyou kanji that you will NEVER use or see because those words are written almost exclusively in hiragana, but likely come up in a name compound or are being held onto for sentimental reasons.

Maninguenice
May 12th, 2013, 20:08
Interesting. That makes sense. What's the general procedure for rebuilding the RTK deck? Use an online dictionary to find some simple sample sentences for each kanji?

jwkelley
May 20th, 2013, 15:24
Anyone know if there is a way to get the text file of the book (I have a copy so its not stealing). I kind of like to make the cards myself instead of using premade decks. It keeps me from getting overwhelmed and also helps me remember them better.

Jiggit
May 20th, 2013, 15:45
If you use kanji.koohii.com you can control how many you add at a time as well as write your own stories and change the names of the cards and everything if that's what you mean.

agrilledfish
May 20th, 2013, 19:39
Anyone know if there is a way to get the text file of the book (I have a copy so its not stealing). I kind of like to make the cards myself instead of using premade decks. It keeps me from getting overwhelmed and also helps me remember them better.

Heisig Kanji Index (http://ziggr.com/heisig/)

ihatefall
January 22nd, 2014, 10:58
I am a big fan of Heisig, I only got through 1600 but all the time I see kanji I learned there with vocab I know leading to many なるほど moments.

Can someone explain the core 2k thing. I have seen it mentioned alot. Are they the ones on Anki? it seems there are a few versions.

Jiggit
January 22nd, 2014, 11:01
The core 2k is vocab isn't it? Or are you referring to jouyou kanji?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ihatefall
January 22nd, 2014, 11:02
No the vocab thing. I think there is something like core 2k/6k/10k.
Is that the same as sentence mining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gizmotech
January 22nd, 2014, 12:59
Core 2k/6k/10k were word lists from japanesepod? back about 4 or 5 years ago before they went commercial. many people had exported the lists and now they live on in random anki decks.

ihatefall
January 22nd, 2014, 14:41
(I think they came from iKnow/ smart.fm)
I guess I don't really know how to use them. Or which deck to get...

Gizmotech
January 22nd, 2014, 15:33
Shit, that was it! not japanesepod... I feel like a nub now.

ihatefall
January 22nd, 2014, 16:31
Shit, that was it! not japanesepod... I feel like a nub now.

Whatever, I don't even know how to use them haha