PDA

View Full Version : Interac Fall interview

TAmember2003
September 4th, 2012, 04:54
So I thought I would make a post about the fall interview process.

I applied in the spring, but was sadly too late. I did however have someone call me to tell me that they wanted to interview me.

But just not till August/September.

That time is up! I have a phone interview tomorrow (9/4/2012)

And totally nervous!.

Has anyone else gone through the phone interview??
Also, if you pass where is it that you think you will go for the in person interview.

I'm picking orlando, since its not that far from were I live.
If anyone has gone through the phone interview and remembers anything about it, any tips would be grateful!

thanks!
And hope to see people at the orlando interview!

akanemukade
September 4th, 2012, 07:10
I remember the phone interview was super easy for me, but I guess it really depends who you get on the phone.

Just make sure you know a lot about what you're getting yourself into once you get to Japan. My recruiter asked me a lot of questions about how much money I was planning to bring, how I would feel living in a Leopalace apartment, if I would be alright driving to school (this is extremely important, so say yes if you really want the job and can tolerate driving, even if you'd prefer not to), etc. I said I was willing to drive and I luckily got a non-driving placement!

Just be open and friendly, is my advice to you.

TAmember2003
September 4th, 2012, 08:49
^ thanks so much!
the phone part is tomorrow afternoon and I feel so sick... lol
I dont know why... I guess i really want the job.

mirrormirror
September 5th, 2012, 02:21
I have my phone interview with them this week as well. I'm super nervous but I've actually spoken with my interviewer prior to this and they were very kind so I'm not as nervous as I could be. Good luck on your phone interview! I hope you get invited to the seminar!

Sakurahoshi
September 5th, 2012, 04:49
Hi fellow Interac applicants

I had my phone interview today. Most of the questions were reconfirming stuff I'd put on the application form, and checking I understood about the job and what was required. I'm hoping to be invited to one of the seminars at the end of this month in Oxford (UK).

TAmember2003
September 5th, 2012, 08:31
Good to hear!

mirrormirror! if you make past the phone interview (which i think you will) where will you be going to the in person interview??

TAmember2003
September 5th, 2012, 08:34
Also, im not to sure you can fail the phone interview anymore... I also was just asked about stuff in my application. Also if I had read the pdf they had sent me...
I said yes and the guy had asked me if I could have the money for the move...

My 15 minute interview lasted for about 3 minutes... lol. I think they just want to hear you talk and how well you can use english... of course I could be completely wrong, lol...

But I will be going to the in person interview! Hope to see people there!
(Want to get to know some people before you go... it seems to make things easier. at least it was for my amity interview!)

Laevatienn
September 6th, 2012, 01:53
Also, im not to sure you can fail the phone interview anymore... I also was just asked about stuff in my application. Also if I had read the pdf they had sent me...
I said yes and the guy had asked me if I could have the money for the move...

My 15 minute interview lasted for about 3 minutes... lol. I think they just want to hear you talk and how well you can use english... of course I could be completely wrong, lol...

But I will be going to the in person interview! Hope to see people there!
(Want to get to know some people before you go... it seems to make things easier. at least it was for my amity interview!)

Interesting... No questions about past teaching experience, living/existing in another country experience? Did they ask you a few questions during the "first contact". If I recall correctly they were switching to a more half phone interview schedule i.e. half of the questions were asked during the "first contact" and the rest are asked during the second phone conversation (the phone "interview").

As a side note, it's the first section that has most of the people shifted out (i.e. when they look at your online profile) after that it varies when they kill the most people. Fall is the time when about 65% of the seminar invites pass to become ALTs (average based on the data I saw while working at the Tokyo office while I was an ALT). The number fluctuates a bit but it is the season where the most positions are open (March being the start of the school year) so they need to fill their numbers. At the same time, again, about 45% get cut either by deselecting themselves or because they really screwed up at the seminar. Either way, I know the seminar interviews are still a good 30-45 minutes long so be prepared for a bit more than the phone interview.

Still... I want to put a few feelers out... As they say: 私、気になります。*Que sparkly eyes (Props to those who recognize that in five seconds).

Sakurahoshi
September 6th, 2012, 02:41
I got an email today inviting me to a seminar- for next Tuesday!! I can't believe how soon it is; I'm terrified. It seems like there's loads to prepare. I'm a bit confused about the the video demo lesson. Is that the task 1-4 that I have to do in front of the camera, or do I have to then do my own 6 min lesson after task 1-4?

mirrormirror
September 6th, 2012, 05:55
Yay I passed the phone interview as well! I was a bit nervous until I realized the long pauses were the result of them typing notes about my answers. Once I realized the long pauses weren't cues for me to continue rambling it was a breeze ^-^. Congratulations TAmember2003 and Sakurahoshi! I guess now it's time to start the paper chase, get those transcript orders in, and dust off the resume. I haven't had the chance to sit down and really go over the seminar requirements yet. I think after stressing out about the phone interview all last week I'm going to take a couple of days to relax once these orders are in for the transcript and background check before stressing out over the next step. :)

TAmember2003
September 6th, 2012, 09:03
^ im with you on that!
I have some questions about all the paper work, so I have to call tomorrow...
Has the people that have passed, have you picked the location of your in person interview?

Im set up for Orlando.

@Laevatienn... I really cant remember about the first part of the phone interview... i kinda had two... one in June and the another one in August... although some of the questions you asked, I think I remember. So they must of just split in between the three phone calls...
I never really got the pauses, or if he did, i didn't pay attention, lol. I'm really good at talking to people, so i think that's a plus.

mirrormirror
September 6th, 2012, 12:17
Not yet. My schedule for the end of the month is a little bit up in the air at the moment so we're waiting to get the final word on where I'm going to be before I pick a spot. Unfortunately I won't be in Orlando though.

I also had two phone interviews so I think they've changed up the process a little bit. The first one was making sure I understood what the job entails (are you sure you are willing to drive, are you still interested in applying with us, etc.) which no one should be failing (unless you're extremely stubborn and unwilling to bend on certain things) while the second one was them trying to learn more about me and my interest in Japan, if I'd been there before, and whether or not I had teaching experience, etc.

The paperwork shouldn't take too long to gather up and the background check at the site they requested takes 30 seconds to generate. My biggest worry at the moment is trying to figure out where I put my passport after my last trip.

TAmember2003
September 6th, 2012, 12:20
^ man... I actually need to get one of those...
Im a military brat... so i had one when i was a child... (still have it... I was sooo cute ^_^) But it expired back in like 98... lol

Sakurahoshi
September 12th, 2012, 00:49
I just got back from my seminar! Went really well. The demo lesson was nowhere near as scary as I thought it would be. Hopefully I came off well. Now I play the waiting game!

TAmember2003
September 12th, 2012, 03:54
^ oh! thats cool!
How did the private (in person) interview go?
Did you have to do another surprise lesson or anything? Or did they just ask questions and what not?

Sakurahoshi
September 13th, 2012, 15:38
The actual interview seemed really short. Beforehand I was given some sheets of paper with interview questions to prepare answers to. The interviewer simply read through what I had written and asked questions based on my answers. No surprises. Please note that I'm UK based so I'm not sure if the US seminars are in the same format.

TAmember2003
September 14th, 2012, 04:25
^ cool, thanks for the info!

I just applied for my passport... man! I had to spend the extra money to try and get it faster, and even then I might not get it on time... -.-*

I wish i could find someone going to the Orlando interview!! Ahh! lol

mirrormirror
September 16th, 2012, 04:02
Whew, just finished making up the poster for my lesson! This is actually my second attempt. Initially I was going to do the directions lesson but after I made up the lesson board and did a test run I realized doing left and right could be really confusing since the way I am facing is opposite the way the students would be facing. So I scrapped it and decided to do a different lesson. It's really difficult to do a lesson in only 3 minutes! Oh well, I'll try my best!

Good luck getting your passport on time TAMemeber2003! Hopefully the demand for them is less now that we're getting into autumn. I did regular processing for mine in Oct (a couple years ago) and they had it to me within a month. And good luck Sakurahoshi! I hope you hear good news from them soon. ^-^

Ryoga
September 16th, 2012, 11:05
Yes! I got invited to the Dallas seminar! Anybody else around here going to be there? How many people are usually at these seminars?

TAmember2003
September 18th, 2012, 10:58
^ i was told by one person that in her interview there were only two people.
then another person told me they had six people in theirs.
And I think another told me there were 18? (cant remember the number but it was kinda high) So I think it varies.

Finally was able to send off all my info for that stupid passport... had to go to 3 different places, but finally! (and they want to know why are government is going down hill... -.-)

Anyways... I had a question for the people that have done the seminar already!
You know the lesson plans that they give us to do? How has everyone done those??
Anyone just copy it word for word? I'm kinda thinking of doing the verbs one (option 3 I think) because it seems pretty clear. But might try directions with a card board thing...
anyone??

Sakurahoshi
September 18th, 2012, 16:00
Do you get to choose activities? I didn't have options. I just had 4 tasks to do in front of the camera. The 3rd task was an elementary school warm up, and the 4th task was to teach directions to a junior high class. They gave me a set idea for the directions but I was allowed to modify it as much as I wanted.

Ryoga
September 18th, 2012, 16:20
Yeah, they allow us to choose from three different scenarios. Option one involves shopping, option two is directions, and option three is irregular verbs.

TAmember2003
September 19th, 2012, 01:00
Yep, we get three scenarios... I was just wondering how people are planning on doing it...
copying the guy in the video or just taking what he did and doing something else.

Also, do we have to fit everything into that 3 minutes... I thought we just taught until time was up?

Laevatienn
September 19th, 2012, 08:16
Yep, we get three scenarios... I was just wondering how people are planning on doing it...
copying the guy in the video or just taking what he did and doing something else.

Also, do we have to fit everything into that 3 minutes... I thought we just taught until time was up?

From my demo lesson (done ages ago, I feel old) you needed to wrap it up at some point yourself. You can copy the guy if you wish. Better to stay within the bounds of the lesson (i.e. don't do something entirely new based on the outline like making a peanut butter sandwich) but I suggest bringing props or something to help, visuals are always good or so I was told back then. Your responsible for timing everything correctly so practice in front of your mirror. From a psychological standpoint and piling through my emails to find the demo lesson outlines (yay never deleting emails) I think the point is two fold. The first is if you can follow directions, can you make a lesson plan that follows the theme of Eigo Note or that new book Hi Friends(?). The second is if you can follow directions and still be creative or engaging with a lesson.

As always, my two yen, take it or leave it.

TAmember2003
September 19th, 2012, 09:00
^ cool thanks! I dont think I would follow it to the T, but I was just trying to get a feel about how thinks should be done... I was either going to go for the irregular verbs or directions... (bought poster board and everything, lol)

mirrormirror
September 20th, 2012, 06:32
I don't know if copying the demo word for word is a good idea since it doesn't show that you're creative or you know how to put together a quick lesson. However I wouldn't stray from the format very far either. For example I'm going to do the shopping lesson and I'm going to keep the same conversation format but I picked different items and will use different questions after the "I bought a/an x".

TAmember2003
September 20th, 2012, 07:58
^ I see I see. thanks so much!

TAmember2003
September 24th, 2012, 07:18
I had a quick question about the self introduction...
I noticed in the video that they give use, the guy talks in japanese and english... but what he says in japanese is not the same thing as he says in english... What is throwing me off is that he is introduction him self in japanese and saying thank you in japanese and then re introduces himself in english and seems to be saying something completely different and then thanking everyone again...

Is it just more or is that confusing?? Should we do that in our self intro or can we just start off with a little bit of japanese and then finish in englash?

thanks so much!

Laevatienn
September 24th, 2012, 08:09
I had a quick question about the self introduction...
I noticed in the video that they give use, the guy talks in japanese and english... but what he says in japanese is not the same thing as he says in english... What is throwing me off is that he is introduction him self in japanese and saying thank you in japanese and then re introduces himself in english and seems to be saying something completely different and then thanking everyone again...

Is it just more or is that confusing?? Should we do that in our self intro or can we just start off with a little bit of japanese and then finish in english?

thanks so much!

Hmm, the direct answer... don't worry about it. Start in Japanese and end in English if you have to. If I remember correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they ONLY expect you to at least introduce yourself in Japanese (watashi no namae wa Laevatienn desu [emphasize the su like the foreigner you are! Please don't emphasize the su... it bugs me to no end hearing the tacky, extended su~ when talking in Japanese with others]). After that you can start with your name again if you wish then go on in English. Basically, do what you can comfortably in Japanese and the rest in English. If all you can say is I like X sport and Y drink in Japanese, great, then move on to English to say you've worked in a junior high before or TA'd in college. Simple as that. Don't over think it. Simple is best. Good luck, and make sure you have fun while doing it as that really helps.

TAmember2003
September 24th, 2012, 08:21
^ thanks so much! I was going to just to the intro in japanese (since I know very little), but the video was just bothering me about it... lol.

And yes, no su at the ending, lol. Man I can see myself messing that up now. lol

Laevatienn
September 24th, 2012, 08:45
^ thanks so much! I was going to just to the intro in japanese (since I know very little), but the video was just bothering me about it... lol.

And yes, no su at the ending, lol. Man I can see myself messing that up now. lol

This next bit of advice applies to all who don't know Japanese. Japanese is a five vowel language. The five vowels are A (ah) I (e as in need but shorter) U (ue as in blue but shorter) E (eh) and O (oh). Listen to a Japanese person saying these for a perfect rendition. Each vowel is a certain length, there is no extending of vowels like in English. Clip off at the end of saying a vowel. With just the five vowels and the static length vowels in mind your Japanese will sound ten times better. Watch this cheesy song and notice how clipped the vowels sound even though they are still slightly exaggerated by the singer. Complete Japanese Alphabet Song - Katakana - Hiragana - 日本語 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zxuy6eojZY&feature=related.)

MotionBlue
September 25th, 2012, 03:53
Hi everyone!

I've stumbled upon this site while doing research on Interac and have found many informative posts that has helped ease many of my concerns.

I had my phone interview back on August 28th, and am attending the New Jersey/New York seminar this weekend. I was just curious to know if anyone else in the forums will be there. I look forward to meeting you guys there, and best of luck!

TAmember2003
September 25th, 2012, 04:12
^ good luck!! Ill be at the orlando interview in two weeks!!
So nervous!!

Iadran
September 26th, 2012, 03:35
Hi everyone!

I've stumbled upon this site while doing research on Interac and have found many informative posts that has helped ease many of my concerns.

I had my phone interview back on August 28th, and am attending the New Jersey/New York seminar this weekend. I was just curious to know if anyone else in the forums will be there. I look forward to meeting you guys there, and best of luck!

Hey, I'll be at the NJ/NY seminar this weekend too! So excited to wake up at 5am and ride NJ Transit, haha.

I agree - all of the information everywhere has been so amazingly helpful. I definitely plan on sharing my experiences as well. I'm going to be making my props and somewhat solidifying my presentation tonight.. 4 more days!

mirrormirror
September 27th, 2012, 06:29
Good luck for those doing the interview this weekend! I'm with the group going next weekend and I'm torn between wishing it was this weekend so I can stop stressing about this and being glad I still have a week and a half to get everything polished and put together! The worst part is that after I'm done stressing over this interview I get to start stressing over the upcoming JLPT! It just never ends does it? *laughs*

Iadran
September 27th, 2012, 06:52
Thanks!! Good luck to you too! :) Yeah, I really can't wait to get everything over with, but you're definitely lucky to have a lot of time to work on yours! Bad planning on my part, but I just got back from a week trip to Europe on the 16th... and then visited my best friend 2 hours away this past weekend because she's having surgery today. So I would love to have a whole weekend to dedicate to everything!

And ahh, the JLPT! I really should make an attempt at that as well.. after this weekend, I definitely need to throw my studying back into overdrive. Europe messed me up so much, haha.

MotionBlue
September 27th, 2012, 07:28
Hey, I'll be at the NJ/NY seminar this weekend too! So excited to wake up at 5am and ride NJ Transit, haha.

I agree - all of the information everywhere has been so amazingly helpful. I definitely plan on sharing my experiences as well. I'm going to be making my props and somewhat solidifying my presentation tonight.. 4 more days!

Haha, I couldn't have said it better myself! Here's to an early morning commute on a Saturday! Best of luck, and I'll see you at the seminar.

paromo
September 27th, 2012, 09:01
Hello, my name is David and to keep this thread alive, I had my phone screening today and have been invited to the Seminar/Interview in Dallas.

I saw another user was also going to interview in Dallas, which is in October, I believe. I'm going to be in Japan the whole month of October and so was invited to the second Dallas seminar on November 10th.

Like everyone else, I'm kind of freaked out about the demo lesson, more so because I will be traveling for a month and will have little time to actually put something together.

Anyway, a pleasure to meet some people going through the same situation, and if there are any other people going to the Dallas seminar, October or November, please let me know!

Sakurahoshi
September 27th, 2012, 19:18
I only got 6 days worth of notice for my seminar! I was really shocked at that but overall I think it was a good thing as it kept the period of anxiety to a minimum. I was working full time but I put in a few days for holiday and just dedicated the days to preparing. The demo lesson is so short, you'd be surprised about how quickly the time flies by. You really don't need as much preparation time as you think.

I hope I find out soon if I'm in or not...

Iadran
September 28th, 2012, 03:01
Hey David! I wouldn't worry too much! :) Before, I definitely kept over-thinking how to make my lesson unique while actually teaching something relevant with really creative content. While that's important, I think the main thing they want you to stress is just drilling your points, whether it's vocab or grammar, and giving a lot of positive reinforcement. And I think making sure you're speaking clearly and repeating yourself takes up a decent amount of that short 3 minutes. If we were actually giving a 45 minute lesson, those things probably wouldn't seem as time-consuming (I don't come from a teaching background so I have no idea). I could be totally wrong though, haha. I'm just excited to have fun with mine and hopefully not freak out my fellow interviewees with how chipper I plan on being :/ But enjoy your trip and try not to let it stress you out to much! :)

Oh wow, only 6 days! I probably would have had a meltdown! But in my time waiting for the seminar, I've changed my mind so much about how I want to do task 4, it's been so annoying haha. Good luck, I hope you get it! You have like one more week to wait until you hear back?

MotionBlue
September 28th, 2012, 04:09
I couldn't agree more with you. I kept mulling over trying to come up with elaborate schemes to make the demo fun and exciting, but eventually realized that you can only do so much in the slot of time you are given. I think the key is simplicity and your delivery. Hopefully I don't come off as too stern as I do tend to be serious while presenting. *Sighs* Time to put my "genki" face on.

Iadran
September 28th, 2012, 04:25
I'll help you get genki for your presentation, haha! If I'm annoying, I'm so sorry! I'm usually super chill, but I feel like I've been hyper all week to prep for embarrassing myself on camera. It's going to happen.. because I've decided on both singing and dancing for task 3. So please feel free to laugh if we definitely do our videos with everyone in the same room.

TAmember2003
October 1st, 2012, 01:54
I have mine next weekend and Im kinda freaking out... lol
Im going over everything today and plan to do it a few times everyday till I have my interview.. lol

I just hope my lesson is good... I bought poster board and printed a town onto it. lol...
directions baby!

Konnichiwayuki
October 1st, 2012, 10:04
Don't freak out XD. I just had mine this weekend in NJ, and it was a lot less stressful than I imagined. The people I met there were really awesome and supportive and the interviewer was wonderful as well. So best of luck to you :D The best advice I can give is just practice your demo in the mirror, if you're not already doing so XD

I did directions too XD.

TAmember2003
October 1st, 2012, 10:58
^ Did you play a game or did you just go over the directions?

Im planning on just asking people questions...
Like where is the train station, who do you get there.

Stuff like that... but prompting them.. its kinda hard to explain.. lol... still working on it,.

Iadran
October 1st, 2012, 11:37
Hey Yuki!! I was in NJ too.. I was the girl who did her presentation 3 times haha. Yeah, everyone else was so nice! I felt so comfortable talking with you all :) I really hope everyone gets accepted!

And don't worry about your lesson too much - just remember to smile and be loud and cheerful! I don't know how your seminar will be but for ours, we were allowed to have the rest of our group interact and reply to any questions that were asked during the lesson. Definitely convenient and made everything flow a lot better!

TAmember2003
October 1st, 2012, 12:27
^ thats cool!

I wonder how we are suppose to show a correction (like they ask us too) if english speakers are going to be the "children"...

Who was your interviewer??

MotionBlue
October 1st, 2012, 12:41
Hey, I was at the NJ seminar this past weekend too! (I did the days of the week chant)

First, I wanted to say that everyone that attended (11 total with me included), had really great personalities and there was a lot of support for one another throughout the day. Our recruiter was Melody, she was very nice and sincere with us throughout the day, stressing that we shouldn't be nervous for the demo. The key is to show the projection of your voice, and to be as enthusiastic as possible. Hopefully the people that attend the seminar with you will participate during your lesson.

One of the things that helped me was to be friendly throughout the day. Introduce yourself, make a joke or two, it really helps in loosening up and avoiding "awkward silences" while you wait for the recruiter. For all of our demos, everyone participated which made the process a lot easier in my opinion and more engaging. I also hope everyone gets accepted, as I believe we all did a great job :D. Best of luck for your seminar!

TAmember2003
October 1st, 2012, 12:54
Cool, thanks!
the more I hear, the better I feel!

I tend to over think things... lol... I should be fine.

paromo
October 2nd, 2012, 03:22
Congrats to everyone who's gone through the seminar already! It's been very encouraging reading everyone's posts on the demo lesson. It seemed like a daunting task at first, but the more I read about people having gone through it, the more confident I feel.

I'm leaving to Japan this Saturday, so I'll make a rough draft of my lessons this week, and while I'm traveling the country, on a long shinkansen trip perhaps, flesh out my ideas with dialogue/etc. As it is, I have a month and a half to come up with my lessons, so I'm no longer worried about it.

And for any and all interested, I'm keeping a blog about my trip to Japan and the Interac employment process. www.paromo.posterous.com/ (http://paromo.posterous.com/163907015)

If anyone else has a blog they're keeping, let me know, I enjoy reading different people's perspectives on why they're moving to Japan and their experiences getting there.

mirrormirror
October 2nd, 2012, 08:30
Congratulations to everyone who got through their interview this week! I've been practicing mine each night. I figure if I can make it through the Japanese introduction everything else will be a breeze.

Sakurahoshi
October 2nd, 2012, 18:50
I've just received an email offering me a position :D

TAmember2003
October 2nd, 2012, 22:55
^ Oh coolness. Congrats!

did they also tell you about what area of japan you would be in?

Sakurahoshi
October 2nd, 2012, 23:44
Nah, I don't think I'll hear about placements for a few months yet. I just have some paperwork to do for now for the visa.

TAmember2003
October 3rd, 2012, 00:51
^ Oh, so you have to accept employment before knowing where you are going to be placed?

Also... I read somewhere that you can turn down the first few placements if you dont like them?
Is that true?

Iadran
October 3rd, 2012, 11:00
I've just received an email offering me a position :D

Congrats!! That's so awesome! I hope you get a placement you're happy with as well! :) Is the offer of employment an official contract that you can look over with all the conditions? I should probably send my recruiter a few more questions I have because I would definitely like an official contract to look over before I accept anything and I'm sure my family would be relieved as well :/

Sakurahoshi
October 3rd, 2012, 16:52
Congrats!! That's so awesome! I hope you get a placement you're happy with as well! :) Is the offer of employment an official contract that you can look over with all the conditions? I should probably send my recruiter a few more questions I have because I would definitely like an official contract to look over before I accept anything and I'm sure my family would be relieved as well :/

I wouldn't say it was an official contract, I imagine that would come much later when placement is arranged. It was just an offer letter, briefly stating some aspects of the job but a lot of the specifics will vary depending on the placement.

Yes you can turn down a placement if you wish; you don't have to accept the first you're offered. However the more you turn down, the longer it will take to place you and it doesn't look great from the BOE's point of view.

mirrormirror
October 4th, 2012, 08:49
Congratulations! I hope you get placed close to your favorite spot! (though honestly every place in Japan has its own charm)

Konnichiwayuki
October 5th, 2012, 00:03
Congrats about getting hired :D:kaos_kms_m-happy2:

I didn’t play a game, it was more of a review for my demo lesson.

Hey Iadran and Motionblue…and anyone else from the NJ seminar. I did my demo first

TAmember2003
October 5th, 2012, 02:08
^ I wasnt going to play a game either...
just kinda review directions and ask questions...

i actually got a phone call from my interview person the other day wondering if I was still coming...
lol... I didnt see I was supposed to reply back to his personal e-mail..

Konnichiwayuki
October 5th, 2012, 21:58
Whoopsie. I think that should be fine, at least you were able to confirm via telephone XD.

I would recommend having something else in mind (like a game in the back of your head that you've practiced, a tiny time filler) in case you find yourself having more time than you thought you did. That rarely happens, usually, you don't have enough time during the demo...but just in case...:kaos_chirol_pupu:

mirrormirror
October 6th, 2012, 11:33
Good luck to everyone doing their interview tomorrow! I'm super nervous and trying desperately to remember everything from both my grammar review and for my demo but I am also ready to show them what I can do!:kaos_chirol_memo1:

Iadran
October 7th, 2012, 00:26
Yeah, my recruiter emailed me and then she actually called me 2 hours after the email so I was a little surprised at how thorough she was! :)

Good luck, everyone who has their seminar today!! You guys will be awesome, no doubt!

TAmember2003
October 7th, 2012, 11:22
I finished my interview today and I think I did pretty well..
had the recruiter laughing a lot during the the interview... we had a good time...
I hope that means i did well!

and I timed myself perfectly... i did four directions and then time was called... lol

mirrormirror
October 8th, 2012, 23:07
Finally got back from my interview this weekend. I feel like it went well. The seminar part was interesting. I was ridiculously nervous during the demo lesson but it wasn't as bad as I expected. The personal interview was intense but I think I did alright and they answered all the questions I had about the company so I feel pretty good about it. Now for the nerve wracking wait!

TAmember2003
October 8th, 2012, 23:11
^ tell me about it!
I enjoyed the personal interview and the demo was fun. We all got in on it and went along.
the information session was a little weird for me...
it was informative, but also seems very relaxed, which was the complete opposite of what happened with my Amty interview.

I want to be positive about it, but I dont want to get my hopes up! So It's just going to be in the back of my mind for the next 4-6 weeks.

mirrormirror
October 9th, 2012, 04:20
Having the audience participate during the demo lesson really threw some people's times off for the demo since it slowed you down but I think it was a good change. Trying to get them to answer the questions and sing the task 3 song really helped to distract me from how nervous I was.

TAmember2003
October 14th, 2012, 03:29
Its been sooooo quite, lol.

I wonder how everyone did... I'm trying not to think about it, because i dont want to jink's myself... but its always in the back of my mind, lol.

MotionBlue
October 16th, 2012, 03:54
So, last night I was browsing through my e-mail then started to have a conversation with my cousin through the messenger when BAM!, completely out of left field I received an e-mail with an offer of employment.

I'm really surprised in the speed with which it came to. On Oct 5th I was told that my file got sent to Tokyo and would have to wait 2-3 weeks, but to receive an offer 9 days later? I'm truly humbled, and thankful. I really hope everyone else that had their interviews receives the same wonderful news. I'll be rooting for you guys! :)

stephiiStephii
October 16th, 2012, 04:50
Congrats Blue!! When are you going? I'm heading up in Jan/Feb as an alternate.

TAmember2003
October 16th, 2012, 05:41
Congrats!
Still haven't heard anything myself, bit still got a few weeks.

MotionBlue
October 16th, 2012, 08:55
@Stephii: Thank you! It's to my understanding that the offer will be for Mar/Apr of next year.

@TA: Thank you! Did you get the e-mail about the waiting period? Make sure everything gets sent in. I hounded my references lol.

TAmember2003
October 16th, 2012, 09:16
Yeah, got mine last week!
And yes, I was worried about those references, but after my interview the guy told me all three of mine sent stuff in.
The waiting is gonna kill me, lol.

mirrormirror
October 16th, 2012, 09:36
So, last night I was browsing through my e-mail then started to have a conversation with my cousin through the messenger when BAM!, completely out of left field I received an e-mail with an offer of employment.

I'm really surprised in the speed with which it came to. On Oct 5th I was told that my file got sent to Tokyo and would have to wait 2-3 weeks, but to receive an offer 9 days later? I'm truly humbled, and thankful. I really hope everyone else that had their interviews receives the same wonderful news. I'll be rooting for you guys! :)

Congratulations! I'm really glad they didn't make you wait too long! Like TA my stuff was sent out last week so hopefully we don't have to wait too long either. I was sweating getting those references in though. I had to hound mine until they got them in just to shut me up *laughs*.

MotionBlue
October 16th, 2012, 10:20
@mirror: Thank you, and I couldn't agree more, I kept thinking about the decision as soon as I got word about the file being sent off, but now I'm glad and have a clear head.

Do keep us posted on the results of your evaluations, here is to all of us making it next year :)

stephiiStephii
October 16th, 2012, 10:29
Hope everybody gets through, all the best! As Blue said, keep us posted :)

Iadran
October 16th, 2012, 11:37
Congratulations guys! Yeah, I had the same exact timeline as MotionBlue. I received confirmation that my package had been sent to Tokyo on October 5th, and got an email last night with an Offer of Employment. Super super fast! Definitely excited, but I thought I'd have more time to let my family accept the fact I'm doing this before I actually signing a contract.. oh well, haha.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

TAmember2003
October 17th, 2012, 04:16
^ Wow you too!
Wish i had mine already!... Still waiting...
(the wait will kill of course...lol)

Taiga
October 19th, 2012, 15:20
I applied a few weeks ago and just got rejected today...

I have had experience teaching and I've even lived in Japan for a few months and I have passed the JLPT N3...

Yet I was still rejected, and I think it may have been because I didn't have a driver's license... :|

Guess I'll have to rely on JET and Amity now.

TAmember2003
October 19th, 2012, 15:40
^ did you get to go to the in person interview or was it just the online app you got to?

Taiga
October 19th, 2012, 16:03
^ did you get to go to the in person interview or was it just the online app you got to?

I got a phone call back from the online application and I was told my chances were really high for me getting an actual interview in person...

...but I got an email today saying I was rejected and it's just a personal guess that it's because I said I didn't have a driver's license.

TAmember2003
October 19th, 2012, 16:08
^ that sucks...

they tend to ask if you are willing to get one if you dont have one.
good luck with the other companies!

Taiga
October 19th, 2012, 16:33
^ that sucks...

they tend to ask if you are willing to get one if you dont have one.
good luck with the other companies!

Yeah they did ask me, and I said I would try to get one by November but still rejected.

Little worried now about the other two companies since I thought Interac was fairly easy-going in choosing their candidates...

mirrormirror
October 19th, 2012, 23:11
Got my acceptance letter today! I'm so happy! Thank you for getting back to me so fast Interac!

TAmember2003
October 19th, 2012, 23:18
^congrats!!

still waiting! X-X
hopefully ill get some news soon.

Ryoga
October 19th, 2012, 23:22
The wait, it's killing me!

stephiiStephii
October 19th, 2012, 23:22
Sorry to hear that Taiga.. All the best with JET and whatever other alternatives you look into tho! I've learned about so many others since joining this forum.

stephiiStephii
October 19th, 2012, 23:26
The wait, it's killing me!

We're waiting on different things but yeah I'm dyinnng

Yumeko-chan
October 23rd, 2012, 06:30
Hello, everybody! I just attended the seminar in Denver on Saturday, and now the waiting game begins. The guy running the seminar did say he was gonna personally recommend me, so I'll take that as a good sign for now :D

TAmember2003
October 23rd, 2012, 07:31
Did people get an email telling them that there info has been sent off because I haven't gotten that yet ..

MotionBlue
October 23rd, 2012, 11:58
@TA: Make sure all the required documents are in (passport copy, photos, diploma copy, etc.). I had to double check my references because they took awhile to respond. You are supposed to get a confirmation for your references as well.

TAmember2003
October 23rd, 2012, 12:32
^ yeah. At the interview he told me that everything was good. Had all the documents and refes were already sent in...
Strange that I haven't heard anything about the Tokyo office.

mirrormirror
October 23rd, 2012, 12:34
I got an e-mail from them a couple of days after the seminar saying they had sent my papers to Tokyo. Since we interviewed at the same time I would think they should have sent yours out around the same time as well. You may want to e-mail them and ask if there is any paperwork you still need to give them.

TAmember2003
October 23rd, 2012, 12:43
I did get an email a few days after saying what I should be expecting next... I'll give me a call tomorrow.

Laevatienn
October 25th, 2012, 07:46
I did get an email a few days after saying what I should be expecting next... I'll give me a call tomorrow.

Hmm, calling yourself should give you a good answer. :D

On the other note. If you have not received the sent package email then there is probably something holding it up. It's likely on their side. What is anyone's guess but I'd expect them to send it out soon. I'd chalk it up to technical difficulties or at least that's what they will tell you. Anywho, don't sweat it. They'll send it in time for you to go over in March if you're accepted and if you aren't a super criminal in Japan. Good luck.

TAmember2003
October 25th, 2012, 07:54
^ now Im worried... lol...
I need to find that phone number...
Ill also ask the other people in my group if they got that e-mail.

Laevatienn
October 25th, 2012, 07:59
^ now Im worried... lol...
I need to find that phone number...
Ill also ask the other people in my group if they got that e-mail.

... My point was you don't need to worry. They will send it. Likely they were having problems with your video or something along those lines. They tend to fix things quickly. If you don't hear anything in the next two weeks is when I would get worried. You had your seminar on the 6th right? That's still within a reasonable amount of time (especially compared to JET). Sit tight for the next week and a half. Inquire if you will but don't worry. Worrying is bad for your skin, your stomach, and your dreams.

TAmember2003
October 25th, 2012, 08:13
^ that is true...
Ill give it a few more days... thanks!

Ryoga
October 27th, 2012, 22:26
So I just got an offer of employment. :D Man that is a load off my mind.

TAmember2003
October 28th, 2012, 01:23
^ good job!

Last night I got my e-mail saying that my stuff has finally been sent to Tokyo! thats a load off my mind.

mirrormirror
October 28th, 2012, 04:41
So I just got an offer of employment. :D Man that is a load off my mind.

Congratulations!

Yumeko-chan
October 28th, 2012, 08:37
I got an e-mail a few days ago telling me the PDF copy of my transcript that I had given them wouldn't work. So I had to go ahead and order a paper copy and I'm having it sent directly to them. So I guess I'll be waiting a titch longer than the others in my group, but ah well.

DandeLion
October 29th, 2012, 08:54
Hi everyone!

I work with Interac (as a teacher not an office worker). And I just wanted to say, don't despair!
I am actually super surprised they are hiring right now. Is it for the April/March time frame?
One of the reasons I am so surprised, is because they have not even sent out their little survey asking us, their ALT's if we plan on staying or not. So they have no real estimate of how many people will be changing jobs come the spring! I know for fact that 5 out of 7 people from my division are planning on changing, but I also know they have not informed Interac yet. Also nothing is really set in stone until you sign your new contract. And last year I didn't sign it until 2 weeks before I started!! (They were kind of late with us and it was pretty chaotic for them I am sure)

Soooo with all that being said, I guess they really don't know how many people they need do they? They should only know how many people they would need for a new contract (one where you are not replacing anyone)

MotionBlue
October 29th, 2012, 09:31
Congratulations to everyone that's received the offer of employment! On the other hand, DandeLion's post is a little alarming. I would hate to think that we have all received the offer in vain, but I am a wishful thinker so I am hoping for the best. Best of luck to everyone else wanting on a response back!

DandeLion
October 29th, 2012, 09:36
Ah!
I didn't mean to alarm you! I just meant that for people who have yet to hear back, that it is still quite early in the process. And that they will fill the spots they are 100% certain of first (new contracts with new cities) and as they get more contracts/ as they learn of people who are leaving the company, people will begin to hear more news of positions.

TAmember2003
October 29th, 2012, 10:48
thanks for the info!
I know I feel better just having the tokyo office having my stuff...
now its just the wait... (three weeks)

yorunokissaten
October 31st, 2012, 04:07
Hey everyone! I just passed a phone interview about 2 hours ago and I'm super excited. I definitely have to thank these forums, I tracked down questions other members had been asked and came up with my own answers to prepare. So, thanks to everyone who's posted that info!

I have a question, though. I responded to the seminar info e-mail like they asked to reserve my spot. Can I expect another e-mail to confirm they received it? I was a little worried because I had to respond from an address that wasn't the one they sent it to (got forwarded and a copy wasn't saved at the original address). I did, however, have that address listed as a secondary in my application, and I mentioned it in my response.

MotionBlue
October 31st, 2012, 05:28
@DandeLion: That does make sense, maybe they are hiring to provide a sort of "back-up" replacement of ALT's in case a large number of currently staffed ALT's decide to not renew their contracts?

@yorunokissaten: Congrats! You should receive a phone call from the recruiter that will be in charge of the seminar for your area prior to the seminar taking place to confirm you will attend. The phone call is just a few days before the interview if I remember correctly. Best of luck and do your best!

Laevatienn
November 1st, 2012, 03:10
Ah!
I didn't mean to alarm you! I just meant that for people who have yet to hear back, that it is still quite early in the process. And that they will fill the spots they are 100% certain of first (new contracts with new cities) and as they get more contracts/ as they learn of people who are leaving the company, people will begin to hear more news of positions.

Hmm. Not early technically speaking. They've always run on the same schedule, hire in September through December or so for March start dates and hire in March to May for August. They use a super special awesome chocolatey fudge covered Excel sheet to predict things. Using years of data they can pretty much predict how many people they need within ten to twenty people. It's scary what statistics can do. Anomalies do happen though. I recall the incident in...I think it was in fall '11. They overcast the net which led to about 60 people or so people in the wild until they found positions for another 40 of them soon after. The problem partially spawned from the earthquake and how many people fled and how many people somewhat fled and partially there was a change in the recruiting guard if I recall correctly (because of fleeing people). They've been pretty good so far since though and I think that was the one time they've messed up since they started. Don't quote me on that though. It's been a bit since I've been in the office (running on nearly 3 years now) and some of the operations have changed.

Konnichiwayuki
November 1st, 2012, 22:34
I also just got my offer of employment :^_^:. So I am super happy. Congratulations to everyone else who got their offers.

mirrormirror
November 2nd, 2012, 00:47
I also just got my offer of employment :^_^:. So I am super happy. Congratulations to everyone else who got their offers.

Congratulations!

TAmember2003
November 2nd, 2012, 03:00
congrats everyone!

I'm a little disappointed. I finally had all my stuff sent off with my group (got the email friday!) Then I think yesterday a girl that was in my group texted and said she got a job offer! It was less then a week and she got a job offer... I'm still waiting for mine, but the more I think about it the more Im telling myself I didnt get it... lol
Just keep beating myself up so Im not disappointed when they tell me no, lol :*(

stephiiStephii
November 2nd, 2012, 04:08
Waiting for a job offer isn't even the worst part.. when you hear from them it's like forever for the COE stuff to be organized. I attended a seminar in May, got a job offer in June/July and my COE stuff won't be arranged til November (because I got the option of going in January or March).

Sit tight though and all the best!!

Nattyg0
November 3rd, 2012, 05:17
Long time lurker of these forums, first time posting.
ANYWAY, I also had a problem with my transcript and diploma dates. However, I got a letter from the school sent to Interac explaining the different dates. It was a real shock to get the job offer after only of having sent my information!

I am super excited, I'm actually going to get the rest of the paper work for the COE done this weekend and sent this Monday since most I already have (thanks to this forum and various blogs :D). Hence now comes the long wait to get my placement. Although I am cautiously optimistic since I've read a share of stories of things gone terribly wrong.

Congrats to everyone though! I can't wait to hear where we all go!

Sakurahoshi
November 3rd, 2012, 18:56
Any of the accepted people been asked to submit a resume yet? I just did that yesterday. Seems quite straightforward although the requirements were so strict; I'm paranoid I did something wrong! Is the purpose of the resume for placements?

Does anyone know when we will be asked to do the Japanese test?

mirrormirror
November 4th, 2012, 13:47
Any of the accepted people been asked to submit a resume yet? I just did that yesterday. Seems quite straightforward although the requirements were so strict; I'm paranoid I did something wrong! Is the purpose of the resume for placements?

Does anyone know when we will be asked to do the Japanese test?

Here in the US we had to submit a 2 page resume with our initial paperwork listing all the schools we've ever attended and all the jobs we've ever had. They are probably using it to help sell us to the different boards of educations but they also told us what we wrote down for our COE paperwork had to match our resumes so it's possible they are actually for our visas as well.

akanemukade
November 5th, 2012, 17:57

TAmember2003
November 6th, 2012, 00:40
I just got the job offer!
Looks like im going!

Konnichiwayuki
November 6th, 2012, 01:07
Congrats TA:kaos_chirol_krackl:

MotionBlue
November 6th, 2012, 07:15
Congrats TA! Glad, to hear you finally got the news, and grats to you too Yuki, I do hope more people from our seminar can make it too.

TAmember2003
November 7th, 2012, 16:02
^ thanks people!

now I just have to fill out all that other paper work! Sadly I have to call them tomorrow about my resume. I lost it and need to know which jobs to put on my CoE... I dont know how strict they are, but i would rather be safe then sorry.

Yumeko-chan
November 25th, 2012, 08:32
Just wondering, for people who've gotten a job offer, what was the subject heading of the e-mail? Just wanna make sure I don't accidentally mistake it for spam lol

TAmember2003
November 25th, 2012, 11:57
^ mine said

'Interac Co., Ltd.-OVS Offer of Employment Spring 2013'

Yumeko-chan
November 29th, 2012, 09:02
Interac said no :( I don't get it. Everyone else at the seminar thought I was awesome, and the guy running it said he was gonna personally recommend me.

stephiiStephii
November 29th, 2012, 09:10
aw man.. sorry to hear that Yumeko-chan.. just reapply for the next intake or look into other companies!

Yumeko-chan
November 29th, 2012, 09:12
aw man.. sorry to hear that Yumeko-chan.. just reapply for the next intake or look into other companies!

I already have an offer from Jibun Mirai, but they've been non-communitative since they offered me a position. They said they wouldn't submit the paperwork for a work visa till December, so HOPEFULLY I'll be hearing from them again soon.

TAmember2003
November 29th, 2012, 10:17
^ that sucks!
maybe it wasnt anything you did, but they got the amount of people they were looking for?

i would of course try again!

Iadran
November 29th, 2012, 12:02
I'm so sorry Yumeko... :( I agree with the others, I would definitely try to apply again if you don't end up going with Jibun Mirai. Good luck with them, though! I really hope everything works out for you. If it makes you feel any better, my family life is crashing down all around me because I'm accepting Interac's offer. Really jealous of all you who have supporting families!

TAmember2003
November 29th, 2012, 12:32
Question:
Has anyone gotten an email from Ms. Mari Nakada (from interac) that tells you to go to this website:
Online Resume (http://www.selnate.info/interacresumes/bin/main.html)

my e-mail flagged it, so I dont know if I should fill it out...
has anyone done this yet?

Gizmotech
November 29th, 2012, 12:38
The whois for the domain has interac e-mail addresses in it. The address points to a Japanese configured web server. The domain info is also pointing to Japanese contact information.

I wouldn't worry about it and just do what you're told.

Also, if you go to selnate.com you'll find it's all about the provo utah school they have.

Iadran
November 29th, 2012, 15:48
Yeah, I received that email as well and filled out the form on the included website. In the "Staff Introduction" email, Mari Nakada is listed as the Japanese language test person though :)

Ame
November 29th, 2012, 17:30
That online resume is standard... I filled it out when I started. They usually pull the additional information from that resume to add to your initial online application for the final employee resume that they submit to the BOEs.

TAmember2003
November 29th, 2012, 23:05
cool thanks...
the email wasnt like the other interac emails, so i didnt know if it was just spam or not!

TAmember2003
November 29th, 2012, 23:06
cool thanks...
the email wasnt like the other interac emails, so i didnt know if it was just spam or not!

Laevatienn
November 30th, 2012, 06:13
cool thanks...

Selnate was connected to Interac somehow a while back. I'm surprised they are still using the domain... they need to switch as Selnate is now separate... I think. Now they seem to be a school in Provo Utah according to the interwebs. Then again, Interac was never on the bleeding edge of web technology or presence. I was surprised when they vamped the main site and doubt they will get around to harmonizing the various pieces of web places together. To date I've marked www2.selnate.com, interacjapan.heteml.jp, and interacnetwork.com as places they may send things from. Gets confusing after a bit... They really need to work on their web harmony.

stephiiStephii
December 1st, 2012, 08:56
aw man i haven't got my online resume yet >.< ahhh waiting for this whole process to really get going

TAmember2003
December 8th, 2012, 12:06
its been awhile and I think you already stated you have, but have you? lol

stephiiStephii
December 8th, 2012, 16:13
haha yeah I got it. Thanks for reminding me, need to fill it out this weekend x_x lol

TAmember2003
December 9th, 2012, 01:41
I think it says you have 7 days to fill it out! dont forget!!

Sakurahoshi
December 13th, 2012, 02:46
I've just received an email asking me to complete the Japanese language test! I'm glad I have 10 days to do it, as I need to revise: I've been slacking with the studying! Has anyone else done it yet? Is it hard? Apparently there is a speaking component afterwards, when someone from Interac calls you and asks questions in Japanese.

paromo
December 13th, 2012, 10:30
Hello. I posted earlier in this thread and attended the Dallas seminar in early November. I have since then accepted an offer of employment from Interac and like everyone else am playing the waiting game.

Haven't received the online resume thing just yet, although I'm pretty sure I've already filled out at least two and they have one physical copy, so I don't know.

I have received and email to take the J-CAT (Japanese Computerized Adaptive Test). I haven't taken it just yet, but did take the sample test provided on their website.

For those wondering what it's like, it's basically like the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, very similar is structure, so if you've taken the JLPT, you'll know what to expect.

As far as the speaking part, from what I know, that's conducted around late January and you are called by an Interac employee and then asked basic questions about your day and Japanese news topics, to see if you can hold daily, basic conversations.

Good luck and congrats to everyone who has made it this far!

cosmiccircus
December 13th, 2012, 14:33
Hey everybody~ I've been stalking this forum for a couple months and finally decided to register :P

Like a bunch of you, I got hired by Interac for this Spring, yayy! And I interviewed in LA on 11/10, if any of my fellow interviewees are out there...? :D

I haven't received any info about an online resume yet, but I got the e-mail about the J-CAT test, which I just finished taking. Scored a 269, which apparently = JLPT N1, w00t<3 I passed N2 last year, so I guess this means I should quit slacking and go for N1 next time, hmm XD

For those of you who are nervous about taking it-- don't be. It's all multiple choice, and other than a few odd questions I thought the time limit they gave was plenty to answer each one. The test adjusts itself as you answer correctly/incorrectly, so towards the end you should be answering questions at or slightly above your level :) Little advice- you might wanna wait for some quiet time and have a bottle of water next to you because it's a pretty time-consuming test.

penguins42
December 14th, 2012, 14:44
^Haha, interesting to hear a different perspective. I've only done the sample questions so far (waiting until this weekend for the real test) but I felt so stupid during it! I ran out of time on the vocab/grammar parts because I was trying to figure out what was going on. Plus the listening question that went on forever and I had no idea what they were saying. :)

Granted, though, I'm nowhere near N1 or N2. I've just finished a 201 course at the local community college, and done small amounts of self-study. I guess I need to ramp it up - I'm hoping to be N4, maybe even almost N3 (wishful thinking), but I'm not so sure anymore that I'm at that point.

Still, that's part of the point of going for me - immersion/force myself to learn more. I can't wait for March.....or for placements. That wait is going to kill me.

yorunokissaten
December 19th, 2012, 07:09
Just got an e-mail this morning with a job offer!! Time to get crackin' on that paperwork!

TAmember2003
December 19th, 2012, 07:28
Congrats!!
Welcome to the club, lol

winsome_mushroom
December 20th, 2012, 00:02
Hello everyone! I just got the email with the job offer yesterday! That is a great load off my shoulders.

Now time to start panicking about paperwork and how to pack up my life!

Konnichiwayuki
December 20th, 2012, 04:15
Congratulations to all the new people that just got their offers of employment :kaos_kms_m-happy:

Sakurahoshi
December 20th, 2012, 06:08
I wish I'd have known that there can apparently be up to 72 hours time delay between registering with J-CAT and receiving the log in info to start the real test. I've only got 2 days left to take the test. I was planning on doing it this evening but I've got to wait for the log in info; I assumed it was an automated thing but it seems not :roll:.

I've done the sample questions and found I was never given enough time! I was barely through reading each question when suddenly the question disappeared and the next appeared! Is this how the main test is?? I couldn't even see a timer to warn me!

penguins42
December 20th, 2012, 06:48
^ I think I got my password about 6 hours after I registered - maybe too late for you tonight, but you should probably be fine within the deadline.

(I still need to take it too......but I think there was a timer in the upper right-hand corner of the screen that counts down. I also didn't notice it until the questions started disappearing on me.)

TAmember2003
December 25th, 2012, 10:21
man, I still cant believe i havent gotten that e-mail that everyone has...
leaving in Feb... I wonder if there will be 2 different times to arrive... my recruiter told me late march.

paromo
December 25th, 2012, 12:51
Finally got around to taking the J-CAT, scored 15 points under Intermediate-High, which is what you have to score to be eligible for the bonus and the speaking test.

Kinda bummed, but I knew I was at an intermediate level, and am proud to almost reach intermediate-high without the help of any teachers or classes. Self taught!

I've been studying for JLPT N3, and according to the JCAT, I'm in between level N3 and N2, which certainly makes me feel pretty good and much more confident about inevitably taking the test.

The good thing is, I now know where I stand and what I have to study more of, namely grammar, which is what killed me.

zombiekelly
December 25th, 2012, 14:11
How soon do you receive the info for the test and the resume? I only had my seminar on the 1st of this month, though, so I'm a little behind everyone.

(On the plus side I got an offer in less than two weeks. ^^; )

BelieveTheHype
December 26th, 2012, 21:56
What up suckers!

I just got done with a Skype interview about a week ago and am getting ready to send in all my paperwork! Feeling stoked, so I thought, what better way to get over the anxiety of waiting than by reading about those who have already been down the same path!

Anyway, anyone else do the skype interview!? I feel like it's not something that is very common. And also, I'm sort of bummed I didn't get to meet anyone at the seminar. But oh well!

arosem
February 27th, 2013, 10:38
Hey everyone! Finally joined after lurking around for a bit since this site has been so helpful. : ) I won't graduate until this December so I am hoping to be hired by Interac for spring 2014. After some emails back and forth they recommended I apply around October if I wanted the chance to be hired in for spring 2014. I have quite some time until then so I figured I'd do as much research as possible.

I see some of you are talking about resumes. I was wondering what your resumes looked like if anyone doesn't mind sharing. I'm a bit worried because I didn't work during the college school year. During the summers though I was a live-in nanny for a family where the parents traveled due to work. I just quite after this past summer though because I am looking for "traditional/professional" work, but alas a live-in nanny is not taken seriously on applications so I've just been volunteering as a tutor for children and adults downtown. This summer I may have a paying job lined up as a tutor so I am hoping that goes through. Other than that, I'll have my BA in December (nothing related to English or education) and I will also have my CELTA certificate (not required, but I'm doing it for a number of reasons).

My lack of "traditional/professional" work experience worries me since so many people I have talked to on other sites (Japan Guide mostly) have past teaching experience or at least a BA in English or education. A lot of people on Japan Guide reassured me that being a live-in nanny or "au pair" is taken a bit more seriously in Japan and that my tutoring will look good as well... but they're always so nice on that site! : P

stephiiStephii
February 27th, 2013, 10:52
hey, I wouldn't worry about the resume that much. You have experience with kids and that in itself is pretty great. Interac will give you a precise outline of how they want your resume organized so don't worry too much right now :) all the best! Warning from now... The wait is a killer lol

Gizmotech
February 27th, 2013, 10:52
If you take a real CELTA program you're pretty much a shoe in. It's one of the most, if not most, respected ESL instruction certificates you can get.

arosem
February 27th, 2013, 11:07
Wow, you guys reply fast! Thanks so much, I feel a bit better now! : D It is a real CELTA program here in Boston and from the reviews of previous students of it, it is ridiculously intensive. It mainly focuses on teaching adults and most people I've talked to who work with Interac teach children and/or teenagers, but I think it will still be a good experience for me!

I can't wait to see your updates when you get your placements and head to Japan! The wait seems like a killer, but you must be so excited. : )

Gizmotech
February 27th, 2013, 11:11
So long as it's a certified course then even though it's for teaching Adults it's still good for children. The fundamentals are there, have been taught, and you can just dumb them down to child level. Because the course is so intensive, it actually teaches you a lot more than those 120hour fly-by-night tesol certs.

In many places it is seen as equivalent to university level teacher in-service ESL training (which I have), only without the heavy dose of abstract theory.

arosem
February 28th, 2013, 11:45
Gizmotech, well now you've got me worried, haha. It is a 120 hour course that takes place for one month. There were quite a few CELTA, TEFL, etc courses being offered in the area so I emailed the CELTA course I have planned to enroll in as well as Interac to ensure this is a program that they would look for and they said yes. I'll continue to do a bit more research though! : )

Also I've been reading the other Interac thread and quite a few people were saying how they applied to Interac almost a year ahead of time. Interac suggested if I wanted to teach in spring 2014 to apply around this October. Seeing as how so many people in the past applied so early, I am considering doing so as well. The only thing is I won't graduate until December and I won't be taking the CELTA course until fall. Debating whether or not to wait until I at least take the CELTA course or if I should just apply before that.

zombiekelly
February 28th, 2013, 11:50
They let people apply who haven't graduated yet, you just have to have the degree in time to send off for the visa (so by the end of December send them a copy). There were people hired before I even applied (I went for it in November '12), so you can apply in October. It's better to be early so you can have time to find something else if things don't work out.

Gizmotech
February 28th, 2013, 12:05
Gizmotech, well now you've got me worried, haha. It is a 120 hour course that takes place for one month. There were quite a few CELTA, TEFL, etc courses being offered in the area so I emailed the CELTA course I have planned to enroll in as well as Interac to ensure this is a program that they would look for and they said yes. I'll continue to do a bit more research though! : )

Also I've been reading the other Interac thread and quite a few people were saying how they applied to Interac almost a year ahead of time. Interac suggested if I wanted to teach in spring 2014 to apply around this October. Seeing as how so many people in the past applied so early, I am considering doing so as well. The only thing is I won't graduate until December and I won't be taking the CELTA course until fall. Debating whether or not to wait until I at least take the CELTA course or if I should just apply before that.

Interac doesn't care what the cert is, so long as it "looks" good. That's a huge selling point for them as their instructor is "trained"... regardless how good that program is. If you want to check if it's a legit CELTA, you goto the CELTA website and check that the school in question is an authorized provider.

Apply after you get your CELTA, it will look better than applying without it.