PDA

View Full Version : 2013 SOP support

star-shaped stitches
September 16th, 2012, 05:31
hi all!
I would like to start a new thread for people to ask questions and contact people willing to look over their SOP for the 2013 apply-a-thon.
(please let me know if my first post is already out of bounds for the forum!! :( )

I have seen such threads for previous years, but maybe these people don't want to be contacted anymore.

P.S. I am looking for someone willing to tear apart my SOP. :)

UPGRAYEDD
September 16th, 2012, 12:13
I'll look at a few this year. PM away.

Lianwen
September 16th, 2012, 14:53
It's September right? I can look at a few too.

One of the new JETs for next year might be replacing me. I feel like I should be more involved this year.

mothy
September 17th, 2012, 00:38
If you can't make your own SOP then you shouldn't be teaching children.

star-shaped stitches
September 17th, 2012, 06:21
that's sweet, mothy. <3 I'm sure you realize this, but just to be snarky, I'll tell you.
I've written several SOPs already, but I don't think that just because I can speak English that I'm the most interesting writer of the century.
I'm here because many people here are kind enough to give their experienced opinion on the drivel I've written and because I'm sick of writing about how fantastic I am.

Not that I don't appreciate your supportive comment on my first thread here~! :)

Teishou
September 17th, 2012, 06:50
Bribes work well.

Serendipity545
September 19th, 2012, 05:36
Thanks for the post, star-shaped stitches. I was wondering if a thread like this existed.

Mostly, I need someone to look mine over and see if I come across as genuine and if I emphasize any one part of my essay too heavily. I'm too biased to see my essay objectively at this point. (This point being me on three hours of sleep, valiantly trying to figure out which three words I needed to cut to stay within the word limit).

Teishou
September 19th, 2012, 06:55
...I think you can afford some more sleep, considering the process hasn't even started yet. What's with you people and jumping the gun?

coop52
September 19th, 2012, 08:07
Probably the best thing to keep in mind is that this is for a job. Don't gush about how much the experience will mean to you; spend some time pointing out things that you can bring to the JET program. Also, keep in mind that you don't have a lot of space. Say what you need to say in as few words as possible. This isn't the place for flowery crap; just get to the point.

Serendipity545
September 19th, 2012, 09:38
...I think you can afford some more sleep, considering the process hasn't even started yet. What's with you people and jumping the gun?

Sorry, that did come off as a bit obsessive. The lack of sleep was due largely to other circumstances (school and whatnot). And I'm writing my statement now only because I'm not going to have time to later. C'est la vie.

aayl1
September 20th, 2012, 13:12
I also don't mind looking at some SOPs, but I am a mere first year and definitely didn't put as much effort into the application as some people.

PM me up.

Gizmotech
September 20th, 2012, 13:53
Umm. I would like to make one, rather large, suggestion. Please do your best to write in correct/proper/academic/high level English when writing both your SoP and posting here in the applying forum. It goes a long way towards maintaining an image as someone capable of doing the job, rather than just applying and hoping for the best.

I.E. don't start sentences with (And)

Ohh Mothy, we have to be nice in here. Though I might agree with you, we have to help people get into the programme.

tatsuko
September 20th, 2012, 14:17
I'd say that I agree with Gizmotech, but I know he hates my guts. But good point anyway.

I'm finding, in writing my SoP, that I really miss having a printer. My skills at hunting down grammar issues on the computer are definitely inferior to my skills when I can hold the paper in my hand. Oh well, no paper for me.

Also, thanks to everyone offering to read SoPs ^_^

therealwindycity
September 20th, 2012, 16:25
I'd say that I agree with Gizmotech, but I know she hates my guts.

??

For what it's worth, I'm willing to look at SOPs as well. Feel free to PM.

tatsuko
September 21st, 2012, 00:29
irrelevant

Lianwen
September 21st, 2012, 08:29
Umm. I would like to make one, rather large, suggestion. Please do your best to write in correct/proper/academic/high level English when writing both your SoP and posting here in the applying forum. It goes a long way towards maintaining an image as someone capable of doing the job, rather than just applying and hoping for the best.

This. Your request for proof-reading is like a representation of your SOP. If I were to get a request that looked like it was randomly thrown in my inbox with glaring spelling errors, I'm not even going to want to look at your SOP.

wicket
September 22nd, 2012, 20:16
Happy to proof-read, PM away. However please don't assume that 'proofread' means 'totally rewrite' as some people who've gotten in touch in the past seem to have. One guy PM'd me 7 times with different versions of his SoP.

hunterofpeace
September 23rd, 2012, 02:29
I'm glad to read again. I have a high success rate with noobs.

Can vouch for this.

Seimore
September 23rd, 2012, 10:42
I'm hoping to borrow the experienced advice of some members here and bring that extra edge to my SOP. I've never written something like this in my academic career so I do feel a little out of my depth, but by taking it slowly and with some guidance I'm sure I'll get through.

flamingpriest
September 23rd, 2012, 20:37
You've never had to write a personal statement when applying to universities or when applying for jobs?

Seimore
September 23rd, 2012, 20:45
Well a resume is structured very differently, and not for applying to university... even for my masters all I really had to do was turn up since I was already friends with my lecturers! Strange, but somehow I'm at my age and never had to write in this way. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Teishou
September 23rd, 2012, 23:11
I never had to write a personal statement until I applied for JET. Nothing else required anything but my grades or degrees or whatever. :/

tatsuko
September 25th, 2012, 01:06
I had to write an essay for my college apps, but never once for a job...

flamingpriest
September 25th, 2012, 02:45
Fair enough then!

PpJt
September 25th, 2012, 23:39
I'll probably be pming a few of you guys at some point, most of you know and love/are apathetic towards me so it's all good. I suppose this is a thanks in advance.

Samurai_Steve
October 2nd, 2012, 06:36
I think I would like to get some feedback on my SoP, as well. It's awesome that you guys are willing to help out. Luckily, mine has already been edited and proofread, so I hope that it won't be a complete waste of time wading through the crap of "i'ts" and "but.and". I'm not promising it's amazing or anything. And RL, I want to take you up on your offer, but I need to get myself more involved in this community. Which is happening: now. I think I still have a lot to learn as a JET candidate. So teach away, ITIL.

ChasingTheSun
October 4th, 2012, 21:50
Is anyone still willing to look over SOPs? I wanted to try and become more involved with the forums before I came asking for help with my SOP and I'm really glad I have. So far everyone has been incredibly helpful in answering my questions. If anyone is still willing to look over some SOPs, I would really appreciate it!

uthinkimlost?
October 5th, 2012, 00:29
Is anyone still willing to look over SOPs? I wanted to try and become more involved with the forums before I came asking for help with my SOP and I'm really glad I have. So far everyone has been incredibly helpful in answering my questions. If anyone is still willing to look over some SOPs, I would really appreciate it!

Pm it to me. I will make time for yours.

Fair warning, I'm a monster, and you won't like me very much.

Samurai_Steve
October 5th, 2012, 04:07
Pm it to me. I will make time for yours.

Fair warning, I'm a monster, and you won't like me very much.

It seems to me, that more of the monster that you are, the luckier the applicant, imho. I fully support your monster-ness.

ChasingTheSun
October 5th, 2012, 06:46
It seems to me, that more of the monster that you are, the luckier the applicant, imho. I fully support your monster-ness.

This. I ask everyone who reads my essay to rip it apart. I can't make it awesome if I don't know how to fix it.

tatsuko
October 5th, 2012, 12:13
The best editing my Advanced Writing prof gave me was after I demanded she rip it apart... She gave almost no useful feedback until I asked her, "Please, rip my paper a new one." I got epic feedback and my paper was much better. Good editing/feedback ought to be slightly painful.

wicket
October 5th, 2012, 16:49
I'm a bit full of SoPs for the time being, sorry.
I never had to write an SoP before JET, either.
In Australia you get into uni. based on marks and interviews, not your ability to get someone else to carefully craft some well-worded shit for you.
ETA: not suggesting that those in other countries don't get in on merit too, just that the writing of an SoP seems somewhat superfluous.

Samurai_Steve
October 5th, 2012, 18:30
I'm a bit full of SoPs for the time being, sorry.
In Australia you get into uni. based on marks and interviews, not your ability to get someone else to carefully craft some well-worded shit for you.

SoP ramen, perhaps? That would make me full, too. Yeah, I'm used to your system of merit as well. Kinda wish I didn't suck so bad at writing this thing. You would think that writing 2 succinct pages about yourself and why you're a great JET candidate wouldn't be that hard. Or maybe I'm just that stupid...

therealwindycity
October 5th, 2012, 21:51
I'm still happy to read SoPs. I'm opinionated, but I'll be diplomatic about it.

ChasingTheSun
October 5th, 2012, 22:01
I'm still happy to read SoPs. I'm opinionated, but I'll be diplomatic about it.

I may take you up on that offer in a bit. First, I need to reconstruct my SoP after the devastation RomulusLupin and uthinkimlost? helpfully wreaked upon it. I shall rebuild it. I have the technology.

Samurai_Steve
October 6th, 2012, 03:03
I may take you up on that offer in a bit. First, I need to reconstruct my SoP after the devastation RomulusLupin and uthinkimlost? helpfully wreaked upon it. I shall rebuild it. I have the technology.

Helpful wreckage: great way to put it. There is the technology, I know it exists. I just have to learn how to use it...

flamingpriest
October 6th, 2012, 07:17
ETA: not suggesting that those in other countries don't get in on merit too, just that the writing of an SoP seems somewhat superfluous.
Yeah, looks like it's mainly a British thing to have to explain yourself in lengthy prose for everything you try and do.

wicket
October 6th, 2012, 19:04
Folks, please remember that it's YOUR SoP and it's meant to sound like YOU, not the people who are helping you.
I can also be guilty of being 'too helpful'.
Take all advice you're given, make any spelling/punctuation/grammatical corrections; but pick and choose what you want to change when it comes to content. It's you on a page, not us, remember.

wicket
October 6th, 2012, 19:05
SoP ramen, perhaps? That would make me full, too. Yeah, I'm used to your system of merit as well. Kinda wish I didn't suck so bad at writing this thing. You would think that writing 2 succinct pages about yourself and why you're a great JET candidate wouldn't be that hard. Or maybe I'm just that stupid...

Oh, I don't think you're that stupid. Check your emails.

Samurai_Steve
October 7th, 2012, 05:25
Folks, please remember that it's YOUR SoP and it's meant to sound like YOU, not the people who are helping you.
Take all advice you're given, make any spelling/punctuation/grammatical corrections; but pick and choose what you want to change when it comes to content. It's you on a page, not us, remember.

:D Yes.

Samurai_Steve
October 7th, 2012, 05:28
Oh, I don't think you're that stupid. Check your emails.

Thanks Wicket. Much appreciated. Email checked, reply sent. ;)

tatsuko
October 7th, 2012, 11:21

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. Be brave and know that you should hear the advice, take it into account, and then think for yourself ^_^ It makes for the best result (hopefully).

I am guilty of being an over-editor for peer editing in the past because I think it is important to give all the feedback possible. However, it is not my writing, thus my edits are not the greatest answer you could ever find... I always hated when I re-read a paper and felt like I had written it :\ I was just suggesting things, not writing the paper for them...

word
October 14th, 2012, 11:41
I'm quite late to this party, but I will be happy to read over an SoP or two and offer what little advice I can regarding the application if you post in this forum regularly.

If you are a complete lurker, I will probably just ignore you.

jjstrand
October 15th, 2012, 03:57
*cough*firstpost*cough*

While ultimately I suppose it comes down to individual applicants on the formality of their SoP, is there a general consensus on humour, however slight, in applications?

I'm toying with the line (it's in relevant context) 'and I believe, being six foot four inches tall, I will be a popular choice in any school basketball games.'

In most respects I've regarded this application like others I would write for job applications. However I feel like this 'personal statement' requires something slightly different.

ChasingTheSun
October 15th, 2012, 04:26
I have meticulously planned my statement, but it never seems to come out just right. Maybe I'm making this into a bigger deal than it is or obsessing over too much. At this point I'm just really frustrated with it.

Hexi
October 15th, 2012, 05:08
ive been obsessing over mine for months. dont fret. haha. although maybe thats why wicket is having so much trouble helping me out with it. ><''
dont look at it too many times each day. get it to a point where you're almost happy with it then do a little editing each day. i find it easier to edit better if i do it with a fresh mind each morning rather than fretting over it for hours at a time. :)

Big Innes
October 15th, 2012, 05:51
This is my second time applying. I read over my personal statement from last year. I cringed quite a lot. I decided on the 'don't fret' method this year. I did a morning of planning and finished the first draft after a few hours. I have done some small edits and proof reading but it is, in my opinion, a better effort that the personal statement I wrote last year. Last year I didn't plan it out at all and put it together over a few months. I might look for a British JET on here to look over it but I have a friend who was shortlisted last year and want to avoid the 'too many cooks' dilemma.

Gizmotech
October 15th, 2012, 08:19
Save your humor for the interview. You don't want it to be misconstrued, and you can always fix it in real time, you can't fix it in writing.

wicket
October 15th, 2012, 08:23
Save your humor for the interview. You don't want it to be misconstrued, and you can always fix it in real time, you can't fix it in writing.

yes, this.
humour doesn't always translate well onto the page; and especially not when a japanese person might be reading it.

wicket
October 15th, 2012, 08:24
want to avoid the 'too many cooks' dilemma.

good idea.

i'd suggest not having more than 2 or 3 people check your SoP.
sure, don't take one person's word, get a second opinion, but not a 9th or 10th.

i know some of you have just PM'd about 20 of us - that's going too far, as even though we've all been successful, we all write differently.

express YOURSELF.

Stoke
October 15th, 2012, 08:58
At this point I'm not sure if I'm being a little too lackadaisical or not. I've looked over the requirements for the SOP several times and formed loose ideas about what I'll say, but I haven't even attempted to put pen to paper yet.

jjstrand
October 15th, 2012, 09:18
Okay thanks for the advice- I'll trim the humour (which that was the entirety of in my SoP), if you can even call it that.
I feel pretty confident about my application to JET, and my ability to articulate myself and what I can bring to the table in the SoP, the only grey area for me is the tone to take in the writing. Formality, but with personality.. I feel like mine, at the moment, is a little lifeless. I know I wouldn't particularly enjoy reading it. So..
Back to the drawing board (at least the points aren't terrible).

Gizmotech
October 15th, 2012, 09:36
At this point I'm not sure if I'm being a little too lackadaisical or not. I've looked over the requirements for the SOP several times and formed loose ideas about what I'll say, but I haven't even attempted to put pen to paper yet.

Stoke, I wrote mine in an afternoon, at the pub, while drinking a rather excessive amount (not that that was unusual at all). No one other than me read it, and I got shortlisted first try.

SoP isn't really hard, if you're a good writer and tailor it specifically to why you want to teach/internationalize then you're fine.

ChasingTheSun
October 15th, 2012, 10:14
I've got another question: I'm debating mentioning my religion in my SOP, not because of the actual beliefs, but because of the cultural aspects. I'm Jewish, so I can offer a different look at America than just Christmas etc, but I'm hesitant to mention it since normally I've been taught not to mention religion in any kind of application. Suggestions?

coop52
October 15th, 2012, 10:26
Don't. Mention it in the interview if you make it that far.

I wrote my SOP while slightly high on cold medicine. Maybe that'll help.

flamingpriest
October 16th, 2012, 02:46
How do people spend months on an essay? All I did was bullet-point stuff I already knew about myself according to the three sections and then put them into full sentences afterwards.

Then again it's not like I've been successful yet lolz.

tatsuko
October 16th, 2012, 02:50
I wrote parts of my paper or possible sections months ago and then ignored them, so I could actually read them without thinking they were good because I wanted them to be. But I can't imagine constantly working on a single paper for months...

Samurai_Steve
October 16th, 2012, 05:02
express YOURSELF.

Aw crap, why'd you have to bring Madonna into this?

...But yeah, I agree.

Hexi
October 16th, 2012, 05:45
i have only spent so long because i'm INCREDIBLY impatient and wanted to start te application process early.
plus i like to write essays.... :S
such a dork. but i do. when my brother was studying for his english GCSEs i used to sit and write essays with him....

ChasingTheSun
October 16th, 2012, 10:44
I might have actually found the version of my SOP that I want to stick with. It has actually been declared good and with some polishing, perhaps it can even be great. I was planning on testing the "having a hard cider and writing it in an hour" method that seems to be popular here. I might still do that, but I don't want to push my luck.

Hexi
October 16th, 2012, 18:12
to be fair when i was writing my dissertation the majority of that time was spent in the pub with my friend and our laptops drinking pitchers of cocktails. i got my best mark in that essay so something must have gone right. XD

hunterofpeace
October 16th, 2012, 19:24
All of my best test grades in university were after I'd gone to a drinking party the night before.

ChasingTheSun
October 16th, 2012, 23:21
All of my best essay grades have been when I woke up at 4 the morning the paper was due and started it then. Something about the pressure forces me to be concise. However, I really can't use the same technique for the JET essay.

peanut
October 17th, 2012, 03:24
I took my first final in college while still slightly drunk from the night before. The professor pulled me aside after and told me I was the first person to ever get an A+ on one of his finals. Sounds like this doing-important-shit-while-drinking thing has some merit.

jjstrand
October 17th, 2012, 06:57
Ehh, I did my Shakespeare exam hanging out off my arse. It did not go well.
Lesson learnt.

Wasabi
October 19th, 2012, 10:24
I am also one of those 'do it last minute, get awesome grade' people. Hence why I'm having trouble making any sort of progress on my SoP. However, I do find I am incredibly motivated to write while I'm at my soul crushing data entry job.

Cytrix
October 22nd, 2012, 08:39
We were encouraged to do a shot (or two) of liquor before our shorthand exam to help relax our nerves (which are a b'tch when you have to transcribe 80-100 words per minute in shorthand). Nothing like two shots of whiskey at 7am.

Wasabi
October 22nd, 2012, 09:46
Cytrix - That was a pretty standard technique for some of my peers around mid-terms and finals. Also, I really love your grumpy cat avatar.

It's been a long time since I've had to write anything of merit for school. I majored in Accounting, so 95% of our writing assignments were in memo form. The Professors also weren't that tough when it came to the finer grammar or usage points. I did get in trouble for being too harsh on my writing partner my first year, but I was still coming off of AP English and planning on majoring in Writing Studies.

I managed to get a better handle on my essay, but I am having trouble coming up with the 'I'm so awesome and you should hire me because of X Y and Z' stuff. Up until now, I've only needed reasons such as being interested in iGAAP vs GAAP or how neat reconciliations and auditing are or why I didn't get my CPA right out of college. Maybe the drinking while writing approach needs to be explored?

LittleBlueDragonfly
October 22nd, 2012, 10:09
I'm mostly a procrastinator when it comes to writing. I'm really hoping that I can get mine done early this year so that I can actually spend lots of time revising it. I had one friend look over mine last year, and we both thought it was good... but now that I'm reading things this year, I look back and realize it was crap. The tips posted here really help. Here's to hoping this year is different.

Paper Moon
October 22nd, 2012, 10:09
I think last year my explanation for my interest in Japan took up far too much space in my SOP. I think that I was over compensating for the fact that my application doesn't scream "I LOVE JAPAN" at the top of its lungs whilst wearing a kimono and reading manga in a sumo wrestling ring. I do want to mention why I am interested in Japan in particular, but I don't need to spend half the SOP doing so. I spent too much time on a little pithy story about my friend Akemi and how befriending her made me want to better understand her culture. I need to either cut that story out or significantly shorten it. Akemi is a fantastic person and I am happy that she is my friend, but I need to make this SOP about me and what I can bring to the JET program... Akemi already lives in Japan and doesn't need my help getting there.

I can't believe I only had one little tiny paragraph at the end explaining what I could bring to the program...

To add to the conversation:

I usually manage to pull out great work last minute too. I procrastinate on almost everything... even work that I am excited about! My final Plato's Republic dissertation/final paper (it's about 20 pages) took me about 15 hours to write (I actually fell asleep on my keyboard for a few of those hours) and I turned it in 5 minutes before it was due, but it was a masterpiece.

However, contrary to what I just said about always procrastinating, I once spent all of my spring break working on a single art project. I was so proud of that project and I have been trying to figure out what happened to that thing for years now... The professor was going to set up a gallery showing for us, but that fell through. I am now just hoping that my work didn't end up in the bin...

Gizmotech
October 22nd, 2012, 10:18
To anyone writing their SOP:
Think about the reader for a second when writing it. If you spend more than a sentence or two on why Japan is awesome, and can't get the point across, then you need to rethink your writing style a bit.
Establishing an interest in Japan should be a minor component of your essay, relative to your interest in teaching/internationalization. The major points should be:
I'm awesome
Here's why
Hire me because X
Woot: Teaching
Woot: Internationalization
Minor Woot: Japan.
PS: I'm awesome. Hire me.

Paper Moon
October 22nd, 2012, 11:46
To anyone writing their SOP:
Think about the reader for a second when writing it. If you spend more than a sentence or two on why Japan is awesome, and can't get the point across, then you need to rethink your writing style a bit.
Establishing an interest in Japan should be a minor component of your essay, relative to your interest in teaching/internationalization. The major points should be:
I'm awesome
Here's why
Hire me because X

Haha, I love that outline! :) Thank you!

ChasingTheSun
October 22nd, 2012, 22:22
I'm awesome
Here's why
Hire me because X

This has to be the best description of a good SOP I've ever seen.

word
October 22nd, 2012, 22:49
Folks who've sent me SoPs, bear with me! Got a crazy ES project goin' on right now, but should have some time tomorrow afternoon to finish up my critiques and send 'em back your way.

ImmortalDreamer
October 26th, 2012, 00:04
I started planning and working on a rough outline for mine yesterday. First time applying so I'm hoping to make it sound good.

greenchalk
October 26th, 2012, 09:53
hi y'all. was just referred to this site by a buddy of mine (former JET). he mentioned it specifically for insight into the interviewing process (i guess i'm just that confident?), but while poking around i came across this thread. i know i'm a "newb" and therefore relegated to pariah status, but if anyone could be so kind as to give a quick gloss over my SOP...a third set of eyes might be nice.

MJjunkie86
October 27th, 2012, 20:45
Any poor soul want to read and rip apart my PS??

hunterofpeace
October 28th, 2012, 23:33
hi y'all. was just referred to this site by a buddy of mine (former JET). he mentioned it specifically for insight into the interviewing process (i guess i'm just that confident?), but while poking around i came across this thread. i know i'm a "newb" and therefore relegated to pariah status, but if anyone could be so kind as to give a quick gloss over my SOP...a third set of eyes might be nice.

Most people's rule for looking at SOPs is 10-15 posts. See you in the Lounge.

LittleBlueDragonfly
November 1st, 2012, 10:12
Is there a "best way" to start the SOP?

I've written the whole thing (mostly, I think)... I just don't have an introduction :| No matter what I write, it just doesn't sound right.

jjstrand
November 1st, 2012, 18:40
'Ever since I first watched Naruto..'

But in all seriousness, just keep in mind this is your major hook for the reader. You need to introduce what you're going to talk about for the rest of the statement, and also make them feel at least a little inclined to read it all
That's what I'm doing, anyway. Making sure it covers all my points, and making sure it seems flowing and interesting enough. Just keep in mind how many they'll be reading..

Cytrix
November 1st, 2012, 19:35
Try to start with something they are likely not to read in the many other SOPs they have to read. No 'I knew I needed to live in Japan when BLAH BLAH BLAH' or 'JAPAN YAY'.

I started mine with a discussion of the Maori term 'ako' (its a word that means teach and learn) and how I have used it in my personal teaching philosophy etc. etc. etc.

Wasabi
November 2nd, 2012, 07:51
I like my first paragraph so far, however it just talks about how education has always played an important role in my life etc etc etc. I am thinking about opening up with the coin collection my mom gave me as a kid, and how my favorite coin was the 5 yen piece. I feel like my 'origin story' of how I was first introduced to Japan (reading Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, then learning to fold origami) is kind of played out.

Also, I am looking for someone ready to brutalize my SOP in every way shape and form.

Kinyoubi
November 2nd, 2012, 12:13
I am at a point where I am confident with the state my SoP. I'm still waiting for my reference letters, so I'll probably make a few more edits before I make the final print.

Would anyone be open to critiquing my SoP?

Cytrix
November 2nd, 2012, 12:53
Most people here won't critique your SOP until you have 10 or more posts under your belt

Kinyoubi
November 2nd, 2012, 13:10
Yea, I read word's lurker's sticky after posting. Duly noted =)

MJjunkie86
November 4th, 2012, 20:16
Yea, I read word's lurker's sticky after posting. Duly noted =)

LOL Did you choose your username based on the day you signed up!? Haha ;)

jperez09
November 5th, 2012, 09:35
Hey everyone!

I've been reading through these PoS threads (from this year and past) and after numerous revisions based on suggestions posted, I think I'm ready to have it critically evaluated.

If anyone has free time, would you mind looking over my PoS?

Please and Thanks!

peanut
November 6th, 2012, 04:23
If anyone has free time, would you mind looking over my PoS?

Please and Thanks!

It looks like people critiquing SOPs are wanting people to have at least 10 posts. Why not take part in some discussions so everyone can get to know you? People are way more inclined to do a favor for someone who makes an effort to be part of the community and isn't just a drive-by crit request. :D

(And welcome to ITIL!)

jjstrand
November 6th, 2012, 05:30
So, it's getting to the point where I just have to be happy with how my SoP stands. Would anyone mind giving me their viscous, unabridged critique of it?

The more honest the better.

jperez09
November 9th, 2012, 04:02
It looks like people critiquing SOPs are wanting people to have at least 10 posts. Why not take part in some discussions so everyone can get to know you? People are way more inclined to do a favor for someone who makes an effort to be part of the community and isn't just a drive-by crit request. :D

(And welcome to ITIL!)

Hahaha I'm trying! But I don't want to post comments that do not have any relevant information on the forums, so it's taking me a while :)

bananallanah
November 9th, 2012, 14:58
You can send me through your SOP if you like, I'm not promising any great advice but a fresh set of eyes to look it over might help!

JJarmuth07
November 10th, 2012, 06:07
I am going to have a draft of my essay done this weekend - would someone be kind enough to give it a review? I am looking mainly for a critique of the substance, not the grammar/syntax since I will run it through a spell checker and proof it a number of times myself.

Thanks and have a great long weekend.

Lianwen
November 10th, 2012, 11:51
Thanks and have a great and long weekend.

Fixed.

JJarmuth07
November 10th, 2012, 13:15
Fixed?

Teishou
November 10th, 2012, 16:53
...Instead of you know, using a comma like normal people when describing something, she stuck an "and" in there and made it somewhat strange.

ChasingTheSun
November 11th, 2012, 01:48
I just reached a point where I thought my SOP was done. Then I had an awesome experience yesterday where I was able to talk to JTEs who are visiting a school nearby. We talked about what they thought made a good candidate and what some of their favorite JETs were like. Now I wanted to rewrite my SOP to include it.

word
November 11th, 2012, 20:08
Don't hesitate. I re-wrote my SoP thirteen times, then threw it all out and re-wrote the entire thing, then edited it three or four times before I submitted it. I'm glad I did.

lesretrouvailles
November 12th, 2012, 02:15
This is a really specific question regarding the statement of purpose, but I thought I'd ask. Do I need to spell out "Assistant Language Teacher" each time I use it, or can I switch to "ALT" after the first mention? Would this sound too unprofessional or casual? I'm not mentioning it every other sentence or anything, just a few times towards the end.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gizmotech
November 12th, 2012, 08:52
It's not unprofessional at all.

I'm looking forward to being an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) for the following bullshit reasons. Reason 1, ALTs have great sex w/ locals.

bananallanah
November 12th, 2012, 09:29
Yeah that's how I did it in my academic essays through uni as well as the JET one. ^^^

I think it's standard and not unprofessional at all. The only times I would fully write out the names of organisations etc throughout an essay during uni was when I really needed to make up a word limit hah.

coop52
November 12th, 2012, 10:24
As long as it's an abbreviation that the reader would obviously know, such as UN for United Nations (or ALT in this case), then it's ok.

Gizmotech
November 12th, 2012, 10:34
Coop, even when the reader knows the abbreviation, it's always good form to list it out and then put it in brackets afterwords. It shows an attention to detail and clarity.

Lianwen
November 13th, 2012, 10:10
...Instead of you know, using a comma like normal people when describing something, she stuck an "and" in there and made it somewhat strange.

...no. The people that would be most beneficial to looking over an SOP did not have a "long weekend", unless they had taken a vacation day or something.

On a related note, I didn't realize how close the American cutoff date is. Anyone who wanted me to go over an SOP, just shoot me a PM with the request again. I don't have classes the rest of today or tomorrow, so I can do a quick turnaround.

Lianwen
November 13th, 2012, 23:44
I can't believe I'm saying this, but the E in JET stands for Exchange.

For those of you still writing SOPs, please make sure you didn't write "Japan and English Teaching Program."

JJarmuth07
November 13th, 2012, 23:50
Once again, I am finishing up my SOP and I would greatly appreciate it someone read it over. Thanks!

saralovesspace
November 14th, 2012, 04:03
Hello! I am pretty new to this forum and looking for some SOP assistance. I would just PM someone, but I figured I had to put myself out there at least a little to have someone consider it. I have already had a friend well versed in English and teaching abroad look it over, but I would feel more confident if someone that is(was) a JET could give me some pointers as well.

Stoke
November 14th, 2012, 11:07
This must be the most annoying time of year for the seasoned posters. It's like no one can read a FAQ.

I think I'm starting to feel the pressure finally. If the app has to be in by the 21st I'll want to mail it by Friday at the latest. Thinking it might be time to start writing this damn thing...

kenchan
November 14th, 2012, 14:11
I'm just about done with my SoP and was wondering if one of you would mind reading it. I would really appreciate feedback. Thank you!

jperez09
November 14th, 2012, 16:06
I think I'm starting to feel the pressure finally. If the app has to be in by the 21st I'll want to mail it by Friday at the latest. Thinking it might be time to start writing this damn thing...

Hahaha good luck! I started mine in early October and I have just gotten to the point where I was satisfied with it! I have edited, revised, rewritten, edited again, and completely started over at least 10 times!

synthavana
November 15th, 2012, 06:52
Could someone check my personal statement? I am aware that I only have one post and just registered. I am aware that this is not often done for folks such as myself. However, I assure you I am awesome and deserve it, yes, for no other reason than I said so.

I can also beg or offer sexual favors if necessary. I am on the East Coast. Send a PM and we can meet up, if necessary.

armouredghost
November 19th, 2012, 06:51
EDIT: nvm someone offered to proofread it. Thanks for anyone who even considered and wanted to help. :)

TheFantasticAsh
November 28th, 2012, 04:50
Hey, anyone on here able to proof-read my SoP I've had a few people look at it... but it'd be cool to have a current/former JET have a look, too!

I am for the UK programme, but I'm not particular who looks.