PDA

View Full Version : UK JETs 2013

MJjunkie86
September 30th, 2012, 19:11
Hello guys.
Just wondering, does the UK JET application open on the 1st Oct usually, or some random date in Oct?
How long do you get to fill out the application and send everything off?

Who else is applying from UK this year??

flamingpriest
September 30th, 2012, 19:50
I'm applying from the UK too. Last year applications opened on October 28th and the deadline was November 25th (the deadline's always the last Friday in November), so we had about a month. Year before last the application opened on the 26th or so, so I assume it's gonna be the end of October this year too.

MJjunkie86
October 1st, 2012, 03:42
Aaaww ok, thats great, thanks! Now is a very busy time of year with me, what with placements and crap, so I was worrying!
Did you apply last year?

flamingpriest
October 1st, 2012, 04:37
Yup, it's my second go this year!

MJjunkie86
October 1st, 2012, 04:51
How far did you get last yr? Any advice for me, its my first time this year!

flamingpriest
October 3rd, 2012, 04:15
I was rejected before interview, so while I'm not really in a position to give advice, I'd suggest being as prepared as possible by the time applications open. Last year I was hanging around waiting for a reference until about two days before the deadline, which wasn't ideal. GPs can take a while with the Statement of Physician form too, so I wouldn't leave arranging that too late either.

MJjunkie86
October 5th, 2012, 06:49
Ah ok, thats really good info actually. Didn't know Drs take so long! I just moved to a new city and don't even have a Dr yet! Had better get on that!
Where in the UK are you from?

flamingpriest
October 5th, 2012, 09:45
The doc you get could be quite prompt though, it's just that some aren't.

I'm from the London area, you?

MJjunkie86
October 5th, 2012, 16:57
Come from Bedford originally, now live in Bradford :/
I love London!

Hexi
October 6th, 2012, 03:54
OMG is anyone else freaking out about the fact that Ireland had their applications opened today?? does that mean the UK is soon? :D

flamingpriest
October 6th, 2012, 07:03
It probably doesn't mean much since they're not related, but last year the Irish applications opened a week before the UK ones did.

I kind of bloody hope not though, I haven't started my personal statement or asked my referees yet, despite what I said before about being prepared :|

MJjunkie86
October 6th, 2012, 07:20
Yeah I noticed that thread about the Irish applications! Looks like they have until December to get their applications in, so hopefully we have until at least then too!

Lol I havent got my refs or written my personal statement either! I've made notes tho! My personal tutor at uni said she would write me a reference, she said just tell her what she needs to say and she will write it! So thats pretty sweet :) And the other reference I have is a teacher at uni, but he sorted me and my 2 mates out with our placement in Japan this year! So we get on well with him, and his son who is a uni lecturer in Japan lol!

We'll have to set each other a challenge ;) Complete personal statement by this time next week or else.... eemm.... something!

Shodanicron
October 6th, 2012, 18:54
I found my personal statement came out sounding alot better and far clearer once i wrote it out on paper, first in bullet points and then as a draft, before setting foot(finger) near a keyboard.

I dont seem to be able to get an over all grasp if its on a computer screen while drafting.

I know its sounds blooming obvious but its effective. Used to work for me in college too,

Just a small tip that might help.

Good luck lads. im sure the apps will be open in the up next week and youll almost certainly have a similar time frame as us in ireland

MJjunkie86
October 6th, 2012, 19:12
Great advice! Somehow its always easier when it's on paper in front of you!

How far have you got with your app, Shodanicron?
What is the actual application form like?

Good luck lads.

Thanks! But I'm a girl!

Shodanicron
October 6th, 2012, 19:23
Great advice! Somehow its always easier when it's on paper in front of you!

How far have you got with your app, Shodanicron?
What is the actual application form like?

Thanks! But I'm a girl!

Lads is a catch all phrase!(at least in cork) So you it applies to you skirt wearing handbag toting people too :)

Ive got it all done now, bar the doctors signature form which i have an appointment for on monday.
I also must get the references physically in the post.

The application form itself is lengthy like other years.
I must note that the essay question is different to last year

The 4 different headings have slightly different questions. but the same over all theme. Worded a bit different. Scroll down past the timetables etc and there is a section on the essay SOP thingy

Embassy of Japan in Ireland (http://www.ie.emb-japan.go.jp/JET%20Application.htm)

If you have time check out this link to all the documents and take a gander for yourself.

NB!!! Just be very careful that you dont use them by accident on your own application as they contain different codes and number specific to Ireland. Delete them from your download folder to be safe

MJjunkie86
October 6th, 2012, 19:36
I'll let you off ;) "Skirt wearing, handbag toting"....err, sure.

I was just looking at the Irish forms as it happens! Looks pretty straight forward. I'd already seen (somewhere!) the SOP question prompts so that didn't come as much of a shock.

How long did it take you to do everything?

Shodanicron
October 6th, 2012, 19:42
I'll let you off ;) "Skirt wearing, handbag toting"....err, sure.

I was just looking at the Irish forms as it happens! Looks pretty straight forward. I'd already seen (somewhere!) the SOP question prompts so that didn't come as much of a shock.

How long did it take you to do everything?

No worries :)

The forms have taken the last 2 days looking at them after my japanese study in the evenings.
My police certificate took 2 weeks to get off them.
My College transcripts stamped and signed took 2 to 3 months.
References.......pending delivery :)
Essay isn't finalised but i had pretty much had it written since mid summer on paper but i havent typed it up and cemented it yet.

I started getting what i could ready back as far as last march once i had made up my mind that i would need to live and work in japan to get my japanese ablity to where i want it.

My friend was in JET for nearly 4 years so he told me straight away to start getting shit together.

Some institutions just take forever to get stuff off.

How have you been doing with your stuff so far?

MJjunkie86
October 6th, 2012, 19:52
Wow, now I'm panicking. Seriously.
It took 2-3 months for some of that stuff?!!! Fuuuuck.

I have made notes for my personal statement thingy, and that's about it! I just moved to this city and don't even have a Dr yet -_-

It's good you know someone in JET already so they can help you out! Good job they did after some of that stuff took so long to get! I just can't believe it!!

Have you ever applied before?

wicket
October 6th, 2012, 19:59
MJjunkie, don't panic. The second time I did JET I only found out they had changed the rules and that you could apply again about 18 days before the application deadline and I still managed to get everything done in time [some documents just cost me more to fast-track them].
Am also really hoping that your moniker is ironic.
And that you weren't really born in 1986 [when I graduated high school]
Fark.

Shodanicron
October 6th, 2012, 20:01
Wow, now I'm panicking. Seriously.
It took 2-3 months for some of that stuff?!!! Fuuuuck.

I have made notes for my personal statement thingy, and that's about it! I just moved to this city and don't even have a Dr yet -_-

It's good you know someone in JET already so they can help you out! Good job they did after some of that stuff took so long to get! I just can't believe it!!

Have you ever applied before?

No but i have been looking at it for a long time.

No need to panic. First thing monday start getting stuff ready. Its an irish college so they are majorly slow..... like beyond slow. and the one i went to slower then most!

I might be best to go to your college in person. I did it over the phone like. You can also pay more possibly. I paid 30 euros for mine. Stress to them the deadline maybe...

Shur the police certificate shouldnt take you long if you arent a closet serial killer!.

Dont panic anyway! youve 2 months or more like! and remember Ireland is notoriously slow

Everything else on the list is gettable in like a week. So defo dont panic

MJjunkie86
October 6th, 2012, 20:24
Thanks for the calming words lol. I'm try and relax...a bit!

Fark.

O.O My moniker certainly is not ironic! And I was indeed born in 1986! Hey, I'm 26, hardly young! My ex was born in 1990! Now THAT was weird!

Damn it, I'm on placement from Monday! Trainee teacher so college is open when I'm working and closed when I'm not! Damn it! I'll figure something out.

Police thing shouldn't be a problem, don't have a record so hopefully will be nice and speedy!

Shodanicron
October 6th, 2012, 20:26
Yeah big time!

Itll all fall into place as long as you dont be sitting on your hands. Chase things up and keep things in mind and youll be laughing by december.

MJjunkie86
October 6th, 2012, 21:27
Awesome! :)
Good luck to you too (even though you're basically all done!)

Hexi
October 7th, 2012, 01:11
Fark.
well i feel like a baby now! XD
1990 for me! XD

In other news - i started writing my PS in June.... o.0 it's still not done yet. but im a perfectionist and was it to be perfect. hehe.

hope you get it all done MJjunkie. XD

Hexi
October 7th, 2012, 01:16
Police thing shouldn't be a problem, don't have a record so hopefully will be nice and speedy!
UK applicants don't need to submit a police thing if they have had no previous convictions at the application stage.
JET Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK (http://www.jet-uk.org/application/appcrim.html)

says it in big red letters. just incase you were worried about having to submit that. :)

MJjunkie86
October 7th, 2012, 03:08
Ooooh ok! I hadn't seen that! Thought it was weird they'd ask for it but oh well :) Now I know lol!

Lol aaawww 1990! So young :')
Wow you started in June! Am sure it's great!

Hexi
October 7th, 2012, 05:35
ah well 'd hope so but i'm REALLY not too happy with it.... ;__; thankfully i have a couple of very kind current jets ripping it apart and will hopefully help me to make it much better.

:)

MJjunkie86
October 7th, 2012, 08:29
I'd be too scared to let anyone read mine when I'm done. I'm crap at writing stuff like this and would be too embarrassed to put it out there!

wicket
October 7th, 2012, 09:59
better one [or two] of us ripping it apart than the CLAIR representatives throwing it away.

Hexi
October 7th, 2012, 16:39
Tru dat!

Seriously though MJjunkie, get someone to read it, like you would an essay at uni. it's SO helpful and current jets know what to look for etc. :)
only try not to let them write it for you. XD it is about you after all!

MJjunkie86
October 8th, 2012, 01:38
LOL I dont even let anyone read my uni essays!

Hexi
October 8th, 2012, 03:40
o.0 what you didn't hand in a draft to your tutors?

we HAD to! 0.0

you should still let someone read it to make sure it has the right points though..... :S

MJjunkie86
October 8th, 2012, 07:44
No never heard of doing that and I've been to two unis in different parts of the country lol! Where do you go to Uni?!

Yeah, I shall let someone read it... just gotta write it first ;)

flamingpriest
October 9th, 2012, 01:41
I never had any anyone check over my uni essays either, nor did anyone else I know http://serve.mysmiley.net/confused/confused0084.gif

Hexi
October 9th, 2012, 01:50
really??
I suppose though i did costume as my course and we only wrote like.... 3 essays in the 3 years i was in uni so they wanted them to get good marks i guess?
also even if we didnt have to hand in drafts i would have done it anyway. i like getting feedback so i know where im going wrong and how to make it better... :/

Hexi
October 10th, 2012, 03:24
UK WEBSITE WAS UPDATED TODAY!

It now says:
We expect to upload the application form for the 2013 JET Programme soon. Please check this website regularly and begin gathering the required documents. We thank you for your patience.

OMG!!! *runs in circles* im so excited!

MJjunkie86
October 11th, 2012, 06:03
Ooooh exciting!! Hope they open soon! It's just the not knowing thats driving me crazy!

PpJt
October 11th, 2012, 07:08
I need to start getting things together for this. Doing my honours and all that jazz makes me a busy guy. On that thought, what exactly constitutes a 'proof of degree', seeing as I've technically not graduated, even though I am eligible for one if I decided to leave right now. It will probably either be something simple or something I should know already.

Hexi
October 11th, 2012, 17:04
The proof of dregree for me is a photocopy of my degree certificate.
I believe that if you haven't graduated yet you can get someone to write a "this person is enrolled at this university and will graduate on this date *sign* *stamp*" letter and send it off with your enrollment details? but you'll have to maybe email the info desk because i'm not 100% sure.

PpJt
October 11th, 2012, 18:58
Yeah thought so, thanks. I'll ask around.

Gizmotech
October 11th, 2012, 20:43
My registrar department provided it for me.

Hexi
October 12th, 2012, 18:54
*headdesk headdesk headdesk*

My PS is giving me so much trouble. i keep writing it and re-writing it... ugh.
it's pretty much done i just am struggling trying to write exactly why i want to participate it.
How do you make "i want to be on the JET Programme so i can share my language and culture with the next generation of another country" sound like it's not sucking up?

Teishou
October 13th, 2012, 09:19
Wow, that sentence is long.

jjstrand
October 15th, 2012, 06:57
Hey guys, for those of you applying who don't have teaching experience, when it comes to the 3a section of 'Personal Statement' on the JET UK website (For ALT applicants only: Teaching ideas), how are you dealing with the questions:

If you have little or no experience, imagine you are in front of a class of 40 students, many of whom are not interested in studying English. How would you go about motivating them? What methods or approaches do you think you might use? What advantages do you think your methods might have?

Have you addressed it directly, as in 'In a class of 40 uninterested students I would X and Y, with methods Z and... F, because S and P are great things', or have you addressed it perhaps less directly, and more the whole concept of the question, how to deal with disinterested students..
Upon writing that the difference seems very inconsequential.

Anyway, I guess did you address it word for word, or just the potential for similar situations? (I'm inclined to the latter)

wicket
October 15th, 2012, 08:29
If that's the hypothetical they have given you, then they want you to address exactly that. They also want you to show that you have transferable skills. How have you motivated people in other situations? [E.g. coaching tennis, tutoring Maths, training someone in how to use a console at McDonalds]. Play up your 'automatic advantage' - you're a native speaker and can inject culture lessons into the classroom and kids can learn the language as a matter of consequence.

Think about the fact that Japan is more of a group culture than an individual culture, so any motivational methods you might use could work better if they appeal to individual students' sense of responsibility to a larger group, rather than an individual reward or attention for themselves.

That kind of shit.

katsuobushi
October 15th, 2012, 08:46
I'm not applying as an ALT, but I have done some teaching in the past. (In France.)

I agree with wicket, basically I think they are looking to see if you know about how to work with Japanese kids (group mentality, shyness etc) and also basic knowledge about your teaching style and methodology in these situations.

I would suggest writing more about being more active and getting the kids doing stuff that doesn't revolve around them sitting still and rote-memorising out of a book.

I think JET seems to want to promote ' foreign interaction' over actual language learning. Which is fair enough considering I hated learning languages in school but love learning them now, because I see the positive benefits it has whenever I meet people from around the world.

MJjunkie86
October 15th, 2012, 20:46
Hmm, my task today will be finishing then typing up my PS.
Wish me luck... Or hand me a gun. Lol.

MJjunkie86
October 22nd, 2012, 05:39
Alright, I'm getting sick of waiting now!

Big Innes
October 22nd, 2012, 06:55

I don't think you'll have much longer to wait. Perhaps just over a week, maybe just a few days. My aim is for my personal statement to be done for Tuesday and then all I have to do is wait for one reference and a certificate.

Shodanicron
October 22nd, 2012, 08:51

The British applications not open yet? If not It'll have to be soon, I'm sure.

. Good luck with the PS :)

Shisa
October 22nd, 2012, 20:43
I checked the UK JET Programme website today expecting the application to be available because it's Monday. I would say the wait is painful, but this is nothing compared to the waiting we'll be doing after the applications are submitted. Something tells me the application will be available this Friday. How exciting! This is my first time applying to JET.

MJjunkie86
October 23rd, 2012, 00:53
Must admit I just checked before coming here and was surprised it wasnt open yet too! Hurry up guys!

Least I know I'm not the only one still waiting eagerly! Think we must be the last country to open ours!! LOL I can only imagine how stressful the next wait will be to see who gets interviews....then worse yet, who passes them! Yikes!

Yep, my first time too! :/ scary stuff!

Klovadkov
October 23rd, 2012, 01:59
Hi everyone.
Nice to see everyone excited about the JET programme! I can't wait for the on-line application to start so I can apply and get it over with... ;)
This will be the first time I've applied, so nerves are already creeping in.
Just need to finish my PS...!!!

Hexi
October 23rd, 2012, 05:05
..... i hate waiting on other people... ><'' i'm so impatient. guess this gives me practice. XD considering the JET Programme was started for UK people only, i'm surprised we are like the last country to open applications. they should try to open them all at the same time.... because the other countries have got longer to work on them.
I'm excited to get it started though. i also need the statement of physician form so i can book my last appointments at the drs. :3 SO excited!

jjstrand
October 23rd, 2012, 05:17
There's not much to worry about, we'll have at least a month to finish the application. The time consuming parts (should) have all been taken care of already, or will be soon, for most people.
If you're ready to submit it, just make the most of the time now to relax. I can imagine the much more stressful parts come later. Soon enough you'll need to be thinking about interview prep ;)

flamingpriest
October 23rd, 2012, 06:20
they should try to open them all at the same time.... because the other countries have got longer to work on them.
The actual online application really shouldn't take long. The main bulk of it is just listing your name, address, education and experience. Everyone's had the same amout of time to prepare the important bits like the personal statement and references, so there shouldn't be much left to actually 'work on' if you've already got your other stuff sorted.

Hexi
October 23rd, 2012, 15:30
i have...mostly...
thanks. ^_^

Klovadkov
October 26th, 2012, 06:11
The UK application has now been released on-line! For those who did not know ;) Good luck everyone

MJjunkie86
October 26th, 2012, 06:46
Wooo!

MJjunkie86
October 26th, 2012, 06:47
Now I'm scared!

MJjunkie86
October 26th, 2012, 08:07
Hmmm, ok, I have a driving license and have done for about 5 yrs. However I don't drive and haven't since I passed my test.
I'd rather not drive but I'm happy to if I really must.
So do you guys think I should mention that I can drive or just don't bother? Will it hurt my application to say I can't drive?
Is one preferred over the other?

Klovadkov
October 26th, 2012, 19:39
It is compulsory to drive? I can't see them giving you a car and expecting you to use it. You might as well be honest and put down the fact that you have a driving licence and can drive a car. ;)

MJjunkie86
October 26th, 2012, 21:04
Hmm, yeah you're right. Lol I wish they gave you a car. ;)
I suppose it can't hurt to say I can drive, just don't wish to get stuck in the middle of no where because they think I'll be happy to get a car and drive.

jjstrand
October 26th, 2012, 22:40
As far as I've been able to work out, if you put you're willing to drive in Japan (this could be a different question, perhaps in the interview- hopefully someone can verify) then you run the risk of being put out so far away it'd be really inconvenient without a car.

Saying that, perhaps 'Can you drive' isn't the crucial 'Are you willing to drive' which I've read could put you in the awkwardly isolated locations. Maybe someone could clarify..

katsuobushi
October 27th, 2012, 02:07
I seem to think that they place Japanese language ability and Japanese living experience over driving ability. You can learn to drive in the middle of nowhere. Its much harder to learn how to adapt to Japan in the middle of nowhere. Friend of mine was placed on an island in Kagoshima-ken despite the fact she can't drive at there are no buses on the island. She does however speak fairly fluent Japanese.

But yeah, get your license before going to Japan. The whole thing is horribly unionised in order to make money. The people who grant you your licenses often have cozy relationships with the driving schools. If they found out you haven't done the required number of lessons before taking the tests they will fail you (even if you aced the practical exam and made no mistakes.)

This is even more the case if you are a foreigner.

MJjunkie86
October 27th, 2012, 18:54
Well, it says as an ALT you don't need to know the language and don't need to have lived out there in order to be considered. You just need to be interested in Japan.

JJStrand, I think you hit the nail on the head, can you drive vs are you willing to drive. Two very different questions! Can anyone help shed light?

MJjunkie86
October 27th, 2012, 20:19
Gaaaa my PS is 1,264 words long (-.-)

flamingpriest
October 27th, 2012, 21:35
Well, it says as an ALT you don't need to know the language and don't need to have lived out there in order to be considered. You just need to be interested in Japan.

JJStrand, I think you hit the nail on the head, can you drive vs are you willing to drive. Two very different questions! Can anyone help shed light?
Yes, you don't *have* to know any Japanese or have lived abroad to be considered, they'll probably give you an advantage if you have.

ETA: Do y'all think 'classroom teaching experience' includes TA experience, or is it teacher-only? Also would 'teacher training' include TEFL courses?

ETA2: And on question 13b (Academic Specialisation), when you pick your Major the box beside it automatically says 'undefined' - are you guys leaving it as that or changing it to N/A?

MJjunkie86
October 27th, 2012, 22:57
Edit 1. As a trainee teacher doing a four yr teaching degree, I'd say TEFL isn't a proper teacher training course in comparison to mine . However, we are there to teach them English, which is exactly what the TEFL course teaches you. So, I guess do whatever you feel is right. Lol!
Yep, classroom teaching experience includes TA work! The TAs in my school work damn hard, and even cover lessons for the teacher during PPA time!

Edit 2. I put my Major as education and put my course name in the box as we don't *do* majors and minors on my course! But I'd prob change to N/A as undefined looks like you're too lazy to change it! ...If I was leaving it blank, that is!

flamingpriest
October 28th, 2012, 02:28
Cheers :)

Hexi
October 28th, 2012, 03:40
ugh having to wait for drs appointments suuucks! how are you guys finding the over all app so far? for the questions that require longer answers i don't know if i should WRITE or just jot down my answers for some of them. haha!
also, what are you guys putting in the question that asks why you chose your placements? i didnt put anything just because it asks for strong reasons such as medical/spouse related reasons.etc.... which i dont have. XD

MJjunkie86
October 28th, 2012, 04:49
That's just my opinion, FlamingPriest! I might be wrong lol!

Do we NEED a Drs note? I read it as, if you said no to any problems etc etc then you dont need one...?
Did i misread?!
I finally signed up to the Drs yesterday lol

MJjunkie86
October 28th, 2012, 04:51
Oh and I dont think you HAVE to put a reason for your choices.

Hexi
October 28th, 2012, 06:07
i know, they'll probs ask in the interview. i was wandering what other people put. cause the question is worded as if to say "unless you're really ill or married, don't put anything in this box". XD

jjstrand
October 28th, 2012, 07:39
I didn't put why I chose my places, as I think unless it's a reason they would consider important (ie, it has an impact on how well you can fit in / adapt to being there, rather than what you would enjoy more with your leisure time) it's got no more sway than anyone else.

As far as doctor's goes, if you haven't been for the same reason more than once in the last 5 years, you won't need a statement of physician, as long as your self-assessment is clear. I've been to the docs twice, once for a check up and once about headaches that left soon after, and I'm clear on the self-check, so I don't have to submit a statement of physician (which I'm glad for, because it sounds like a hassle).

Gizmotech
October 28th, 2012, 10:56
Uhh, don't know how different the UK app is, but I know the Canadian app they wanted you to put NA for any box that is NA

SarahKaye
October 30th, 2012, 01:59
Hi! Just another UK applicant muddling my way through the app.. :)

For placement stuff, I left it blank. Seemed like the most acceptable thing to do.
Also jjstrand, did you actually declare your headaches on your self-check? I'm in the same boat but I had a doctor's appointment for it.. Not sure if I should declare it or not :/

jjstrand
October 30th, 2012, 06:03
I booked myself in, and saw a nurse. But, they specifically talk about a 'recurring issue'

When and for what reason did you last consult a physician? Colds, fevers and acne (if not currently undergoing treatment) may be omitted. Also visits to OB/GYN facilities or consultations for the requesting of contraception may be omitted. If you have answered this question in the negative or if the physical issues mentioned in your answer are not reoccurring, then you will not require a Statement of Physician. This is true so long as you are not currently receiving any prescriptions or treatment for these issues. In all other cases, please have your doctor complete the Statement of Physician.

As I answered no to all the questions, and I haven't had to go for a recurring issue, and I didn't get any prescription, I think I'm safe. I haven't been to them for any other reason. So long as they don't count a root canal at the dentist..

flamingpriest
October 31st, 2012, 04:43
Does anyone else think that the teaching experience section is waaaay too small for what it is? I've worked at a number of different schools (as well as supply work), and I'm not quite sure how to express that within a single tiny box.

Hexi
November 1st, 2012, 04:15
with any box that was slightly too small i just did...

...this for each item. and then also for its corresponding info in the other boxes. when you send the online application off and it shows you the preview it squishes them all together but on the PDF your answers are all in line and seperated. :)

Hexi
November 4th, 2012, 06:04
just wanted to share my woot that i'm like 85% done with my application now!
Just need to get the statement of physician signed and my personal statement back from being checked and printed. :D

Big Innes
November 4th, 2012, 09:05
Just need to get the statement of physician signed and my personal statement back from being checked and printed. :D

I'm at about the same stage as you too. I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday morning. I am going to see a friend afterwards and stay with them until Wednesday. When I get back I can finish checking over things and hopefully post it by the 12th.

The only problem is my printer/photocopier has decided to call it a day so I'll have to go elsewhere for printing and photocopying.

Hexi
November 4th, 2012, 18:09
yeah i dropped my printer don the stairs and now cant find the cables. luckily i live literally a 5 minute walk from a staples so can get it done there. :)

MJjunkie86
November 4th, 2012, 20:18

Congrats! :D

onaJETplane
November 5th, 2012, 00:49
I've got an GP appointment on Wed and hopefully my two references will have theirs done by the end of this week. Only stumbling block is the Full transcript. It says a printed one online is ok if it's signed and uni stamped. My online transcript has *this is unofficial* plastered all over it, but the official ones cost £20, is printed on full 'vellum' paper and take up to 3 weeks so will just print a online version and get it stamped, since the website says that's fine.

MJjunkie86
November 20th, 2012, 03:04
So, how is everyone getting on?
10 and a half days until it's due in!!

Cant believe you had to pay £20 to get your info! I got my transcript and got a letter saying when I finish an such, all for free! And the bloke wrote it out then and there for me! Yay my crappy College ;)

onaJETplane
November 20th, 2012, 04:03
Think it was just my uni. They're extremely guarded about giving credentials out, as they're quite a respected uni. On the plus side the transcript is really shiny.

posting mine first class recorded tomorrow.

Really happy with my personal statement now. Revised it about 5-7 times with input from a tutor and friend who've helped me brush it up nicely. Will be flabbergasted if I don't get an interview!

G'luck everyone

MJjunkie86
November 20th, 2012, 05:12
:D Good luck!!
We'll all have to have a meet up, those of us who get an interview!

Hexi
November 20th, 2012, 06:26
OMFG that'd be fun! :D
So my Dr did my medical whatsit for me and conveniently didnt tell me so it's been sitting at the surgery all week while i've been stressing. Stoopid Drs. it's only a tenner for me to pay though which is good!
The JET checking my SoP will hopefully have that to give back tomorrow and then i just gotta finalize my cover letter for Early Departure.
Then it's all printing and copying and I will be able to get the application posted off this week! WAHOO!

onaJETplane
November 20th, 2012, 06:55
Paying a tenner for Dr to sign the medical check... I just booked an appointment and got him to read and sign it in front of me for free :)

Oh also do we need to include a print out PDF of our online application 4 times with each set? It says optional to include it for set 1, but I'm not sure?

MJjunkie86
November 20th, 2012, 07:08
£10 is good!! My bf had to pay 70 quid, then they gave him a 30 quid refund when he picked it up! Still cost him 40 tho!! :O Am pleased I dont need them haha

Yep, seems like for the 1st set, we dont have to print it out, but the other 3 you have to print it out for them. So print it out 3 times :)
4 times with each set...? That's 12/16 times!

flamingpriest
November 20th, 2012, 08:14
10 and a half days until it's due in!!
Don't say it like that! :(

Hexi
November 20th, 2012, 08:20
yeah my doc told me that it wasn't the responsibility of the NHS to fill out forms and stuff. which begs the question, whose responsibility is it? but yeah. i also got away with my medical records only being a tenner and not 50 quid like i thought i'd have to pay.
some drs are ok with just doing it, my dr at home would have just done it for me, but others are not as relaxed. bleh. oh well. it'll be worth it in the long run if i get the job. :)

onaJETplane
November 21st, 2012, 04:07
Sent. Cost just under a fiver to post.

Such a weight off my mind now. I only really started looking at the finer details of the application process a few weeks ago and was pretty lucky to get everything sorted so quickly. Could've turned out much worse.

Roll on Jan and my interview call up!

onaJETplane
November 22nd, 2012, 02:51
Well this sucks.

I've just got an email saying my application is incomplete. Reason being my 'proof of degree' letter is missing.

I provided an enrolment status letter with all my credentials on, along with my course start/end date as well as it being signed and stamped. I gave this to my university admin building and they confirmed that this would constitute a 'proof of degree' letter and I also showed them the JET PoD requirements and they pointed out to me all the aspects of my letter which complied with them.

The only issue I can think is that it is not an original hand written letter, as it has been typed and and issued by the administration building.

Will try and get an alternative tomorrow, but my uni will probably just point me in the same direction.... stupid JET desk... :'(

Hexi
November 22nd, 2012, 03:56
that totally sucks. BUT at least you have time to sort it out!!!

onaJETplane
November 22nd, 2012, 04:11
Indeed.

Looking at it now I totally missed the 'dear JET Desk template... my bad!

No problems as this can easily be done by visiting uni tomorrow and getting a quick hand typed letter and getting it signed/stamped. Shall post it first class recorded with a covering letter apologising so that they know where it goes :)

Thank god I sent it with a little room to breath!

Would be game over if I just made the deadline... :rolleyes:

MJjunkie86
November 22nd, 2012, 07:54
Oh bloody hell good job you posted! I just checked mine and its address... to whom it may concern!! Fuuuck!
Will have to get another one tomoro! Can you point me in the direction of this template, please!

Hexi
November 22nd, 2012, 18:49
this sounds tricky, thank god i've graduated already. XD
Posting it off tomorrow is the plan. SO annoyed it's taken me up until a week before the deadline to post but thats what i get for having to wait on other people i guess. blegh. oh well, it's good training for what's to come. XD

although, i am currently taking a TEFL and didnt think i would have it by the time interviews etc came round but looks like i will now, what should i do because i didnt put it on my application form..... :/ i don't want to be done for omitting information. ;__;

onaJETplane
November 22nd, 2012, 20:39
The wording of this letter should be as follows:

To The JET Programme,
(First name, surname) is (expected/due) to (graduate / complete their BA/BSc course) on (date/month/year).
(Signature) (Stamp)

JET Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK (http://www.jet-uk.org/application/appdegree.html)

Hexi
November 23rd, 2012, 01:08
statement of physician DONE and PRINTED! wahoo!

can't believe it's thursday already...... o.0 it snuck up on me.....

MJjunkie86
November 23rd, 2012, 01:52
The wording of this letter should be as follows:

To The JET Programme,
(First name, surname) is (expected/due) to (graduate / complete their BA/BSc course) on (date/month/year).
(Signature) (Stamp)

JET Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK (http://www.jet-uk.org/application/appdegree.html)

FFS I just got another copy today, addressed to the jet programme and even though the information is all there it isnt laid out that way.
basically,
above named student....enrolled at X.. transferred from Y to Z year and course on A...due to be completed B...

Thats how its been set out. Am fucked if I'm changing it again. The guy has already done it 3 times with different changes! And he remembered me and bf so he'll know if we come back for a 4th time haha! FFS Stupid JET!!!!

HEXI: Is it too late to add it in now? It'll only go in the application form bit, shouldnt take long to add.
That, or do it but never mention it again! I mean, you dont need to have it to get on JET, so if you cant add it into your application, do you need to say youre doing it? Not like they could find out you have done it.
OR at your interview, just mention youve started to do the course...

MJjunkie86
November 23rd, 2012, 01:57
and, does anyone know when we hear back?

jjstrand
November 23rd, 2012, 06:25
January and February:
Interviews are conducted in January and February. The first initial interview notification will be sent via e-mail, then interview invitations will be sent by post to candidates’ permanent and temporary addresses. A maximum of 14 days notice will be given for candidates invited to interview.

JET UK (http://www.jet-uk.org/selint/selint.html) website.

jjstrand
November 23rd, 2012, 06:30
Also, I got given one of my references today! The other I'm collecting tomorrow. He's given me 3 signed and sealed envelopes for each copy, but I'll just collect them in one larger envelope before putting them in the packet. Finally rounding up, I can stop reviewing my SoP soon..

Hexi
November 23rd, 2012, 07:06
FINAL final review of PS reveals that i am 41 words over the limit! ARGH!

MJjunkie86
November 23rd, 2012, 07:45
Thanks JJ. So, after sending it off we got all christmas to stress though, wondering if we'll get interviewed!

Lol Hexi I'm a few words over too, I just made my margins narrower so it fits on 4 pages, making it look like 1k words lol! Wonder how strict they are about the word count...

So, I made a short prezi to show the kids at school tomorrow. It's about when I went to Japan this summer. It's nothing special but the kids love looking at pics, so thought it would be a nice thing to do to waste a few minutes on a Friday afternoon during Golden Time ;) hehe!
Feel free to have a look!
Japan by Michelle Jackson on Prezi (http://prezi.com/v9bj1gdjxcq-/japan/)

onaJETplane
November 23rd, 2012, 07:51
FINAL final review of PS reveals that i am 41 words over the limit! ARGH!

I was at 1084 or something. There's no counter at the bottom and doesn't make a visual difference removing a sentence worth of text.

Don't worry about it, they cannot be THAT anal to individually count the words :)

MJjunkie86
November 23rd, 2012, 07:53
Don't worry about it, they cannot be THAT anal to individually count the words :)

...says the guy who had to redo a letter purely because it wasnt specifically addressed to the JET programme! ;)

Hexi
November 23rd, 2012, 17:35
haha. well i've cut it down to 36 words over and i LITERALLY can't take anymore out without turning it into a mess of bad english. so they're getting it like that. XD i have just over 2.5 pages. :) i'm glad we have a word limit instead of just "write two pages!". i would have found it much harder to limit it to two pages. :/

Hexi
November 24th, 2012, 04:32
APPLICATION SENT!!! WAHOOOOO!!!!1
god i hope i've not forgotten anything!! >_<;

onaJETplane
November 24th, 2012, 04:57
My PS was about 2 2/3 pages long, but I had lots of paragraphs and fancy a signature at the bottom so think it should mask going over the limit slightly.

If you did miss something or a bit of documentation does not adhere to their guidelines, they'll quickly let you know by email, as they did with me.

Now onto the interviews and preparing for this. I attended a uni careers interview session last week and was shocked by the amount of prepwork that goes into preparing for a professional one. Really going to prepare for this and book myself some mock interviews with my uni career services.

Also would having a strong regional accent go against you in interviews?

Hexi
November 24th, 2012, 05:10
nah if you look on youtube there are loads of different people with heavy accents. :)

onaJETplane
November 24th, 2012, 05:11
All I've seen are quite bland Americans, that all sound similar.

Hexi
November 24th, 2012, 05:42
hahaha.
i'm only subcribed to this guy (http://www.youtube.com/user/Ehfvanteis). :/ and he hasnt updated in a while but considering they hire australians and britons and americans i don't think accents matter. as long as you can pronounce the words properly and clearly it's not a problem i don't think.

MJjunkie86
November 24th, 2012, 05:43
Just curious, what accent do you have?

onaJETplane
November 24th, 2012, 05:45
Scouse arr kid larr

jjstrand
November 24th, 2012, 05:55
Got my second reference today. Now to find that degree certificate.. Not sure where exactly it is. I'm taking my application in personally on Monday, so better find it before then!

MJjunkie86
November 24th, 2012, 06:05
Scouse arr kid larr

Haha awesome! Such a horrible accent ;)
Weirdly enough, am off to Liverpool tomorrow!

When you planning on sending yours off, JJ?

flamingpriest
November 24th, 2012, 06:09
I've got both references now, but one of mine arrived looking like it's really been tampered with, i.e. mis-aligned signiture across seal, tape used to close envelope (which looks like it's been taken off before). And it's way too late to ask for it to be re-sent :| Slightly concerned.

onaJETplane
November 24th, 2012, 06:12
Such a horrible accent

Didn't harm the Beatles.....

MJjunkie86
November 24th, 2012, 06:16
Oh crap. Does it look that bad? Do you think they will check really thoroughly the back of the envelope? *fingers crossed*

Dude, I love The Beatles! But their accent is awesome! Somehow sounds better in song form!
"She's the kind of a gaaaarl, who makes the news of the weaaarld.."
*That's how I imagine your horrible accent to be written... O.O

jjstrand
November 24th, 2012, 07:39
I've got both references now, but one of mine arrived looking like it's really been tampered with, i.e. mis-aligned signiture across seal, tape used to close envelope (which looks like it's been taken off before). And it's way too late to ask for it to be re-sent :| Slightly concerned.

Best thing to do would be to contact the JET desk and explain, maybe ask them if the referee can send them a letter confirming they sent it to you in poor condition due to unforeseen circumstances or something.
Can't count against you any more letting them know that's how you got it, at the very least.

flamingpriest
November 24th, 2012, 19:03
That's not a bad idea actually, though I'm just as worried about drawing so much attention to it, lol. I think I'm just going to hope for the best at this point.

onaJETplane
November 24th, 2012, 21:18
Got this today

http://i.imgur.com/GXoFd.jpg

jjstrand
November 25th, 2012, 01:35
That's not a bad idea actually, though I'm just as worried about drawing so much attention to it, lol. I think I'm just going to hope for the best at this point.

By the sounds of it, it's unlikely they would miss it! And perhaps if they did, they'd be wondering why you didn't mention it came in that condition.
Of course, that's only me saying what I'd do. If it isn't that bad, perhaps they wouldn't notice. Weigh it up, but i'd hope they'd appreciate sometimes these things are out of our control, and not penalise you after you explained.

Hexi
November 25th, 2012, 05:29
they're gonna look at the back because thats how ya open it. the tape will draw attention to the unaligned seal and the general tampered-with-ness. I'd try to explain it rather than ignore it;. better to be safe than sorry. :/ that sucks.....

Paper Moon
November 25th, 2012, 12:35
*Pops in* I wish I were British.

flamingpriest
November 25th, 2012, 22:36
Okay, you guys have made me re-consider. Thanks for the input y'all, I'm gonna try and sort this out.

*Pops in* I wish I were British.
http://serve.mysmiley.net/love/love0052.gif

jjstrand
November 26th, 2012, 04:49
Can't find my degree certificate. Regretting massively trusting my Dad, who took it home, 'yeah its here when you need it'.
Shouldn't have left it until getting my references in to collect all the rest.
Anyone know if there's any alternative to the degree certificate you can use, like a signed and stamped letter from the university?

Hexi
November 26th, 2012, 05:39
probably a question for the jet desk tbh. :/ but i have a feeling that you will need that to prove you've graduated.....

(ugh my pet rat is making horrible noises and sneezing and stuff. >:( these damn critters get ill too often..... )

jjstrand
November 26th, 2012, 07:02
Yeah I'm already planning to ring them in the morning, and my uni, to see what can done about it.
It's probably gonna be a restless night now.

flamingpriest
November 26th, 2012, 07:23
And maybe in the meantime, look really hard for it? Hope it works out mate...

onaJETplane
November 26th, 2012, 12:33
Anyone have an idea how many applications each year the JET receive for the UK?

jjstrand
November 26th, 2012, 19:00
Should be having a scan of it emailed, as well as one posted, to me today. Phew.
Hopefully I'll be handing it into the JET Desk around this time tomorrow. Fingers crossed for no further issues..

jjstrand
November 26th, 2012, 23:04
Anyone have an idea how many applications each year the JET receive for the UK?

I don't know about how many applications they receive (I don't know if this is published anywhere. It isn't anywhere I've been able to find at least, but that's not to say it isn't). However, as far as how many are accepted goes, here (http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/introduction/statistics.html#detail).
I've heard people say anything from 1 in 10, to 1 in 70. It depends whether you mean the number of applications, or the number of viable applications, I should imagine. You can likely disregard a large number they receive that are just p*ss-poor or half-arsed applications, or those of people who haven't properly navigated the application's labyrinth of rules and requirements. I wouldn't like to conjecture how many applications they receive that are worth any salt, though.

Hexi
November 27th, 2012, 03:50
i heard 1 in 4 then 1 in 10.... 1 in 10 indicates about a thousand applicants seeing as only 140ish were accepted last year.....
but a 1 in 10 chance is much better than 1 in 100! XD

TheFantasticAsh
November 27th, 2012, 05:59
Wow, hey!

In the process of applying now. Just to weigh in in terms of my Britishness. Got everything together, just waiting on my SLOW letter from the doctor. Luckily I've seemingly got till Monday 3rd now, although I'm honestly convinced this is trickery.

jjstrand
November 27th, 2012, 06:24
You got an extension from the UK JET Desk? If you've got it in writing from them, then there's no reason to assume trickery!

TheFantasticAsh
November 27th, 2012, 06:29
You got an extension from the UK JET Desk? If you've got it in writing from them, then there's no reason to assume trickery!

It's a general extension. For anyone submitting this week (online application only) - https://twitter.com/ukjetprogramme

And my e-mail says the 3rd, too.

Hexi
November 27th, 2012, 06:55
can't help but feel bitter about that and feel a bit "why are they letting more people apply and letting them get longer? don't they know its tough enough for those of us who actually met the deadline? if they weren't organised enough to get it done in time then tough!"

but thats just me being super competative..... heh.

TheFantasticAsh
November 27th, 2012, 07:06
can't help but feel bitter about that and feel a bit "why are they letting more people apply and letting them get longer? don't they know its tough enough for those of us who actually met the deadline? if they weren't organised enough to get it done in time then tough!"

but thats just me being super competative..... heh.

Nooo! I get it completely, I was a little confused, too.

I came to the process kinda late, but still had planned (and still do) to march up to the JET Desk on Friday and hand in my package.

The extension is only a relief for the fact my doctor may mess me around with this letter. (Already charging £25...)

flamingpriest
November 27th, 2012, 08:53
They had this extension last year too. I think it's more to allow reasonable postage time for people who submit their online applications close to the deadline.

MJjunkie86
November 28th, 2012, 05:09
Ugh am so annoyed, sent application yesterday, they received it today. However one of the transcripts wasn't signed, so gotta resend that, but most annoyingly my old uni certificate got sent to me as a transcript and a covering letter. That's it, so I sent it to them as I got it and they emailed saying it needs to be stamped and signed! FFS!
Problem is, I now live at the other end of the country, my old uni admin office will be closed at the weekend and I'm on placement mon-fri!! Can't even get them to post to me coz time will be too late.
Am bloody fuming! My old uni letter is good enough to count for any one who is interested, but not for jet! Uuggghhhh :-/

Sorry for bad layout, on iPod :)

TheFantasticAsh
November 28th, 2012, 05:14
Ugh am so annoyed, sent application yesterday, they received it today. However one of the transcripts wasn't signed, so gotta resend that, but most annoyingly my old uni certificate got sent to me as a transcript and a covering letter. That's it, so I sent it to them as I got it and they emailed saying it needs to be stamped and signed! FFS!
Problem is, I now live at the other end of the country, my old uni admin office will be closed at the weekend and I'm on placement mon-fri!! Can't even get them to post to me coz time will be too late.
Am bloody fuming! My old uni letter is good enough to count for any one who is interested, but not for jet! Uuggghhhh :-/

Ugh that's crazy. The only thing I can suggest is to telephone the JET Desk and explain the situation, and ask if they'll give you an extension in order to get the documents from the university.

flamingpriest
November 28th, 2012, 07:11
Maybe you could ask if the JET Desk'll accept an email (or phone call) from your uni confirming that the letter is genuine and that you have graduated? Or if they'd allow it to be scanned/faxed over from your uni?

onaJETplane
November 28th, 2012, 09:12

http://media-titanium.cursecdn.com/attachments/42/719/634798639221257881.jpg

That sucks. I had the same email last week saying I hadn't given the proper proof of degree thingy. I quickly got the correct one and sent it separately but I'm currently thinking what if they don't pass it along into my application pack and it gets lost among the piles... I did put a covering letter in... but... what if...

Do you get a notification soonish if your application does not meet the requirements? I.e something is missing?

Really hope we both get our applications fully completed and sent in, considering the effort we've done already.

I've put all my chips into the JET basket. All my classmates are applying to do pgce's for next year and the application closes soon, so chose JET. If I don't get in it'll be minimum wage drudgery for me :(

ARG

Shisa
November 29th, 2012, 00:37
Good thing I didn't see the update about an extension, otherwise I'd still be procrastinating over my personal statement right now. I've just returned from the post office where I sent my application by special delivery, so it should be with the JET desk by 1pm tomorrow. I have to say, I feel tremendously better and less stressed now that it's been sent.

I'm going through the motions of common concerns i.e. shit, I bet I missed something out! But I'm pretty sure I've included everything. My personal statement was pretty strong and was reviewed by a law graduate and a journalism graduate with a 1st class degree, so I'm quite confident about it. Hopefully my references are good! Now, let the waiting commence...

Hexi
November 30th, 2012, 00:37

oh no! i hope you can work it out!!! :( how did they contact you that something was missing? email or snail mail?

jjstrand
November 30th, 2012, 03:32
Handing mine in at the embassy tomorrow. No room for mistakes, better make sure all my stuff is in perfect order!
Saying that, I think my degree certificate is signed but not stamped. But that's just how it is, there's no more I can do about it.

TheFantasticAsh
November 30th, 2012, 08:48
Handing mine in tomorrow, too.

Need to go through with a fine tooth comb. 'Perfected' my SoP to the point where I'm TIRED of reading it and want it to go away

MJjunkie86
December 1st, 2012, 06:11
Ok folks, well after a 3 hour trip from Bradford to Bedford (when ended up being 5 and half hours due to M1 being closed!) I finally got my transcripts signed and stamped and sent off.
All that way, all that cost, all that effort plus a missed day of placement, for a signature and stamp. Exactly the same info, just a sig of some random guy and a stamp. Fucked off is not even the word!
All posted off now though. If it's rejected now, I'll be royally pissed!

You guys all happy and good now?

Hexi, they emailed me the day they received it. My bf also got an email the day they received his because he had something missing too (a sig and stamp too!)

Hexi
December 1st, 2012, 08:09
ok good so i don't have to worry a letter and Ive done something wrong.

EEEP! DEADLINE IS PAST! (like 5 hours ago, stoopid hexi) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

melty
June 10th, 2013, 23:41
*very late bump*

It seems like there isn't much traffic to this site any more...but I thought I should post some UK-JET info, just in case it helps some of you. i just posed the same thing on the official forum, so sorry for any of you that might see the same thing twice!!

I wanted to let you know about two events for new JETs in London.

1. Q&A Day for JETs and their parents
This is run by the JET Alumni Association for the UK. We have already signed up quite a few ex-JETs who are keen to help you. This will be an honest, informal, personal and practical orientation about JET life. We’ve lived it and now we want to pass on our valuable experience to both you and your family! You can find more details, and sign up here: http://www.jetaa.org.uk/events/qa-day-f ... parents-2/ (http://www.jetaa.org.uk/events/qa-day-for-new-jets-parents-2/)

(As lots of you have been reading this forum, you might not feel like you'll need any extra information or advice...but you never know, your parents might really appreciate a chance to ask their own questions!!)

** I am pretty sure there are other events from JETAA in Wales, Edinburgh and the Midlands, so if London is a bit far for you to travel, please contact your local JETAA to see if they are hosting an event for you.

2. Japanese for ALTs - Exclusive beginner's Japanese class for 2013 JET participants
This one is organised by the Japan Foundation, London: http://www.jpf.org.uk/news.view.php?id=266
You will have some Japanese classes during your JET Pre-departure orientation on the 11th-12 of June...and this weekend course will build on those skills to give you a solid base of Japanese before you head out to Japan. It is going to be taught by Dr Seiji Fukushima, Chief Japanese Language Advisor at the Japan Foundation London, who is a truly brilliant teacher.

This is the first year we have been able to offer this course, so I hope some of you will be able to take advantage of it!!
Oh! and although this course is not free, it is amazing value (£30 for both days, including a text book and CD.)

Feel free to send me a PM if you have questions about either of those events!!