PDA

View Full Version : Alternate... UGH!

Nick
April 5th, 2005, 13:51
Well I just got my letter today. It said that I have been selected as an alternate ALT for the 2005 JET Program. Anyone know how good our chances are after this. I'm not really getting my hopes up too high, but does anyone know if alot of alternates get to go??
thanks,
Nick

Fyrey
April 5th, 2005, 15:04
More than you'd think. So many people get cold feet, so many prospective applicants get a decent job close to home. Plenty of current JETs decide to go home last minute.

I know a couple of alternates. As I understand it, the earlier you find out you're an alternate the more likely you are to go. Thats speculation, but I've heard it said a few times that the Alternate list literally is a queue for the other openings.

Pandilex
April 5th, 2005, 16:44
Alternate too, from UK.

I'm quite disappointed. I guess this means no JET this year.

CousinDave
April 5th, 2005, 17:01
Ditto. It's not like we're gonna get away with waiting and hoping all summer, eh? Still, gonna reply to all the forms and so on... :roll:

Pandilex
April 5th, 2005, 17:05
Yeah I dunno what to do now.

It says you'll be notified before the end of september, so I assume you miss the orientation and everything?

DangerMouse
April 5th, 2005, 17:29
uuhhh
Alternate for me to...

does anyone know if the london embassy disclose where u are on the alternate 'ranking list' ...?

its probably best just to kick back and hope for the best...
but MORE waiting :cry: noooo

Taffi
April 5th, 2005, 18:06
I'm ALTERNATE too...pun pun. Just got the envelope today.
Are the chances okay. Part of me is saying "Ah, forget about it", because anyways, now it seems even less likely that I'll be located next to my then husband, but then there is this other part of me that REALLY wants to get on the JET. I'm filling out the forms too.

Gaz
April 5th, 2005, 18:21
No envelope for me this morning, if I had to hazard a guess I would say this means that I didn't even get alternate status >< oh well, there's always next year ^^

Ganbatte everyone who either got in or made alternate status, still fill out the alternate paperwork etc. because there are always rumours kicking around of how high the acceptance rates are.

redfieldblair
April 5th, 2005, 18:31
Gaz please don't jump to conclusions like that, its just the first day :|

I'm trying to stay optimistic, I didn't get an envelope yet either.

April 5th, 2005, 18:48
I didn't get mail either and in panic I called the JET office, who told me that not all the results are in and some of the ones in haven't been posted. They won't divulge results over the phone but did assure me that everyone will know by Monday the 11th.

adammoogle
April 5th, 2005, 18:51
been an alternate is fine so long as you get on with your life and don't plan on hanging aound all summer permanently attatched to your phone waiting for the call...

if your an alternate send off your paper work asap

i'd also recommend getting the medical form filled out (if your gp will do it for free or a reasonable price) or at least make sure your ready to go on getting all the details for it. (as an alternate last year i nearly screwed myself over by not changing my gp from university to back home meaning my dr's notes got lost in the terrifying beauracracy that is the NHS). once you are called up and bumped up to the shortlist the deadlines for medical certificates and sending the forms and everything back can be tight and although helpful the UK embassy will not give any leeway on the deadlines at all...

make your plans for if you do get the call, no wether you will accept or not, have your passport ready for sending off, all that stuff...

and then make other plans.
if your in the uk you most probably won't get told where on the alternate list you are so theres no telling if you'll get the call or not. i think the chances are well over 50% because of the relatively low number or alternates (despite the high showing on here) compared to people dropping out but even so you might not get called up...

so work on your cv, go for other job interviews, don't burn your bridges with your current employer and plan for a future without jet. the time will go alot faster if you get on with your life.

and good luck everyone! alternates make the best alt's anyway :wink:

Pandilex
April 5th, 2005, 18:56
hehee

the only thing is I want to commit to a postgraduate course but not shoot myself in the foot by finding out a month after I sign up that I can go on JET afterall and be unable to cancel.

I guess it's just a gamble!

Gaz
April 5th, 2005, 19:08
Life's a gamble i guess ^^

Sorry to those who I put the wind up with my naysaying, I like to remain pessimistic about this kind of stuff so then i either fully expect it when the bad news gets here or it's an awesome surprise

Rycean
April 5th, 2005, 19:08
Well going to have to add my name to the ranks of alternate....

I am not as dissapointed as i thought i would be. I would have prefered to be told your in no question but i guess i just have to carry on with everything... now comes the'have you heard yet?' and i am going to have to say well yeah but i still don't know if i am going!!!! I wish i had kept it a secret now!

Just a thought how many of you that are alternates are still currently at uni? I was wondering if already graduated might go in your favour seeing as something may go wrong at uni meaning you would have to retake and then miss your place with JET, also they would already know your grade?

Anyway good luck to everyone and i cxan finally update my blog with the oh so joyous state of limbo.

Rycean

Hanzo
April 5th, 2005, 20:14
still waiting for mine, guess it would be unrealistic to think everyone got their letter today...but seeing everyone get theirs i'm scared as hell to see what will happen, only time will tell.

ENAY
April 6th, 2005, 07:14
> Monday the 11th.

WHAA!!!!! I guess I won't have any fear of constipation for the next few days.

dbridges
April 6th, 2005, 10:52
Chicago alternate here...anyone know if they will let you know your rank on the alternate list if you call up the consulate? Or might this piss them off and they drop your name a few spots?

fenyx66
April 6th, 2005, 12:25
I was put on the alternate list last year and I got in albeit at the very last minute. It sucked to have to wait until august 12 to get the phone call that said they had a position open for me. You can try calling, but they won't be able to tell you your rank, but they might say something along the lines of don't worry about it, or you might want to start looking for another job. These may or may not be hints; you have to use your judgement. It really sucks to be an alternate. It is probably better to be on the short list or on the no-go list, because then you would know. Now it is another waiting game. Some people will start hearing around may and june and some of the others will have to wait until August when people don't show up at the airport or crap out once they get here. Also, those alternates who wait it out and persevere make, in my mind, the best JET's because they showed some dedication and desire. From what I know, a lot of the JET's in my area are leaving, but I am not sure about the other parts of Japan, so I can't tell you how many spots are available. Good luck, PM me if you have any questions. BTW, I came through the Atlanta Consulate.

Argenbar
April 6th, 2005, 13:19
Feckfeckfeckfeckfeck

I'm an alternate. Now for 3 months of being attached to the phone. I would have much rather the yay or nay, but what can you do. I feel slightly miffed that I will have to shell out for a medical when there is no guarantee I will get in, but whachagonnado? :P

Al
April 6th, 2005, 19:06
I got my ALTERNATE letter yesterday and feel somewhat indifferent about it all. I thought I was a strong candidate ... until the interview when my nerves got the better of me and I walked out thinking 'ah well, maybe next year'. Anywhoo, being an Alternate means that my life goes on as it has since the Jan interview ... in limbo, unknowing, responding to 'have you heard yet' with a somber 'um, no, not for certain'. Reading all these posts does assure me a tad that there is still a chance, but as is the case with the whole JET process, this is all speculation based in little actual insider knowledge.

I will send back my form, ticking the 'yes I am willing' box. I will accept with enthusiasm if I am offered a place. To all those alternates I'm guessing we are all going through the same thought process; asking the same questions. To all those in the know ... help us out. Will JET give us time to organise the mammoth task of tieing up our lives in the UK or wherever? I live in a shared house as a 'young professional' (well, that's what I like to think anyhow), so this will mean giving notice to a landlord. My folks live in St. Louis, I live in Bristol, UK ... getting all my belongings of the last 5 years shipped over there to store is a task that will require organisation ... my job will require 1 months notice before I depart ... in short, being a JET is not something I can just sort out in a day. Also, this Cert of Health ... should I go get frisked by my GP now ... for fear of babbling (like I did in my interview, oops), will JET take into account those who need to tie up loose ends, or is it 'alternate = be ready to depart at short notice' ? Any ideas peeps? :?:

Fyrey
April 6th, 2005, 21:25
is it 'alternate = be ready to depart at short notice' ?

As I understand it, yeah it is.

Alternate = Get ready to go = Get ready not to go.

It truly is limbo.

quasarsglow
April 7th, 2005, 02:57
I live in a shared house as a 'young professional' (well, that's what I like to think anyhow), so this will mean giving notice to a landlord. My folks live in St. Louis, I live in Bristol, UK ... getting all my belongings of the last 5 years shipped over there to store is a task that will require organisation ... my job will require 1 months notice before I depart ... in short, being a JET is not something I can just sort out in a day.

This is the very reason I don't think I'll every apply again if I'm not accepted. I don't want to have to worry about having settled into a real life and have to pick up and go again. I mean I expect a couple of career shifts and moves in my life, but the short-notice combined with moving overseas is not something I can see actually working out at a later point in my life.

You hear that JET? I hope you're listening. This is your last chance to get a cute, hardworking, glowing quasar to work for you! You don't really want to throw all this away, now do you? I promise to be on my best behavior for at least 2 weeks.

ghostdust
April 7th, 2005, 11:33
I really want to do this, but if I do not make it, I highly doubt I'll apply again anytime soon. I can't imagine putting myself through this torture again. I might do AEON (no NOVA or GEOS though) or some smaller private school or maybe something in Korea or China.

adammoogle
April 7th, 2005, 22:42
To all those in the know ... help us out. Will JET give us time to organise the mammoth task of tieing up our lives in the UK or wherever?

i don't think you've been reading these boards very closely (which i can't really blame you for, only the people already on jet have the time to arse around all day on the net) but the short answer is hell no!

been an alternate means you might get a months notice or two weeks. if your serious about going get everything as prepared as you can now. jet does things by its own rules. for every person that gets sick of the waiting and bureaucracy theres 10 more waiting to take there place...and with thousands of people been recruited jets not too concerned about getting the cream of the crop of candidates, as my spelling proves. so i'm sorry guys, suck it up and bend over to take some more punishment...